To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Game of Thrones - Inc Spoilers to last aired UK TV episode.

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Re: Game of Thrones - Inc Spoilers to last aired UK TV episode.

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 13:32 The telling moment in the documentary is when one of the women (think she might have been responsible for the locations)... said they had grown so big they couldn’t do anymore (such was the scale). Might be an inkling in to why they cut it so abruptly short?
Well yeah, they had been saying for a couple of years there were only going to be 7 episodes in S7 and 6 episodes in S8. I don’t see why they couldn’t have done two 10-episode series, and maybe scope for another, but the quest to make “cinema for TV” seemed to take over. They largely pulled that off, but at the expense of the pace of storytelling. Although once Daenerys came to Westeros, things were always going to come to a head quickly, and it would have been really hard to maintain the pacing of earlier series. It kind of had to become a different show at that stage.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

The last series was mostly 90 minute episodes so was equivalent to at least 8 normal hour long shows (less ads)

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

They weren’t were they?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

The last 4 are a tad too long for the traditional 90 minute slit on commercial telly (Sky).

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Finally caught up with this and in many ways after what I had heard the last episode for me really wasn't that bad although I largely echo many of the points already raised.

My thoughts are (please forgive the repetition as some of these have already been mentioned).

Bran was a thoroughly unsatisfying choice of king. In fact he turned into a very disappointing character as I was waiting for him to do something special.

Bron was a bonkers choice as master of coin and I would have liked to have seen a bit more of his story before the end.

Cersei's death could have been better. (seems strange to say that when you read it back)

I thought the ending was very unfair on Jon Snow who saved the world which was what most people wanted and he then got punished for it. (I didn't see the end as him going where he wanted to be with the people he wanted to be with but I can see how it could look like this.

Really could have done with the battle with the Night King coming closer to the end.

Shouldn't Jon being the true heir have been a bigger thing at the end?

I thought Danny's death was horrible (not in a part of the story way) and haven't re-watched that bit.

Sansa did my head in.

I also thought the ending mentioned in the read through would have been okay by me.

I was still waiting for Stannis to show up. :mrgreen:

jpk
Dumbledore

Post by jpk »

Have you watched Return of the Jedi yet?

Some people thought that the Ewoks spoilt it

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

jpk wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 17:01 Have you watched Return of the Jedi yet?

Some people thought that the Ewoks spoilt it
There are certainly parallels there. A finale not as good as what came before, but some of the criticism maybe a bit excessive. And the prequels were/will be worse :wink:

GoT showrunners Benioff and Weiss are doing a Star Wars project next. Out of the frying pan, into the fire, in terms of demanding, entitled fanbases...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

forestfan wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 18:20 GoT showrunners Benioff and Weiss are doing a Star Wars project next. Out of the frying pan, into the fire, in terms of demanding, entitled fanbases...
Or maybe not, they’ve dropped out and signed a big deal with Netflix instead.

Also on a big day of GoT-related news, the first planned prequel series has seemingly been axed by HBO after an unaired pilot, though a different one is seemingly now being pursued. But it looks like we won’t see any new Westerosi action on our screens for a while.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Jon Snow is leaving after 32 years... am I on the right thread? ;)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:Jon Snow is leaving after 32 years... am I on the right thread? ;)
32 years on the news and he still knows nothing....

In other news.... Dr Who has been spotted in Westeros. Or was it Cornwall?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-56919320

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 19:48
forestfan wrote:Jon Snow is leaving after 32 years... am I on the right thread? ;)
32 years on the news and he still knows nothing....

In other news.... Dr Who has been spotted in Westeros. Or was it Cornwall?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-56919320
Dragons vs. Daleks... it’s the sort of lame spin-off Hollywood would do these days :wink:

Exterminate! Dracarys!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

House of the Dragon trailer has been released. Swords, fire, dragons, darkness, blonde haired presumably incestuous Targaryens… all the things you’d never expect ;)

Whatever you thought of the last couple of series of GoT, I think we all need a bit of Westeros in our lives again…

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:House of the Dragon trailer has been released. Swords, fire, dragons, darkness, blonde haired presumably incestuous Targaryens… all the things you’d never expect ;)

Whatever you thought of the last couple of series of GoT, I think we all need a bit of Westeros in our lives again…
I'm afraid it is going to have to be very good to counter my (undeserved?) prejudice against it as a cash in on an already ailing franchise.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 06 Oct 2021, 16:35
forestfan wrote:House of the Dragon trailer has been released. Swords, fire, dragons, darkness, blonde haired presumably incestuous Targaryens… all the things you’d never expect ;)

I'm afraid it is going to have to be very good to counter my (undeserved?) prejudice against it as a cash in on an already ailing franchise.
Well, it’s obviously going to be more the big budget visuals of later series than the penny-pinching early days (I think GRRM said the worst bit of on-screen GoT was not the later series that suffered for lacking his source material, but the off-screen boar hunt of series 1 due to budgetary constraints!) So if you don’t want “Michael Bay”, stay away… but hopefully the writing will be up to scratch as well.

Franchises/prequels/sequels are always a challenge to get right, and by definition always a “cash in” compared to something completely new. But while there’s been some great TV series in the last few years, nothing’s come close to replacing GoT as a sprawling epic, so think there’s plenty of potential in it. Let’s hope it’s more Better Call Saul than Joey anyway :wink:

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I'm sure it will be decent, is that Matt Smith I spotted with the Targaryen hair do?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yes, the former Doctor (and Duke…) is in there.

I expect whatever happens it will suffer from a hardcore fanbase who are never satisfied, rather like Star Wars… but millions will tune in regardless. I’d back this horse (or dragon) over Amazon’s LotR spin-off in terms of being a ratings hit.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Jon Snow could be making another comeback (no, not to Channel 4 News…)

https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/ga ... pment-hbo/

Looks like Westeros might be going down the Star Wars route with multiple spin-off series, and probably some good, some bad and some indifferent…

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

They could potentially undo some of the damage that S8 caused, something that explores who and what the Night King was and what he really wanted would be interesting.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Mav3rick wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 16:11 They could potentially undo some of the damage that S8 caused, something that explores who and what the Night King was and what he really wanted would be interesting.
Not sure even George R.R. Martin had any idea on that score… presumably the books will never be finished? I think he initially said he’d told Benioff and Weiss the broad ending/direction of travel/key points and let them fill in the gaps, then rowed back a bit on having done that when it was poorly received.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

He was doing the books wasn't he?..... just that he is a slow writer and Sky overtook him.

Release date?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 16:21 He was doing the books wasn't he?..... just that he is a slow writer.

Release date?
The latest one was published in 2011, the year when the first series of the TV show aired. The next one was apparently originally expected in 2015. He’s in his 70s. Don’t hold your breath…

I suspect that when the TV show overtook the books he was backed into several different corners, along with the fact that (as per the reception of the last two series) the saga was just too complex to resolve in a fully satisfactory way, and that’s just the simplified on-screen version!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

To build the anticipation ahead of a return to Westeros, there’s a Thronecast-style preview of the new show on Sky Atlantic tonight. Might help with getting to grips with the many near-identically-named Targaryens…

By the way, if someone said “winter is coming” right now, I’d say “thank eff for that”… ☀️🥵

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

The actual show starts in a couple of weeks, early Monday morning I think? Quite looking forward to it to be honest, but I'm also looking forward to the LoTR series on Amazon too later in the year.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, going to be some battle of the blockbuster shows (the Oasis v Blur of TV?) though not sure there’s a true way of comparing ratings across the platforms. Critical response will be key, and HotD seemingly has the advantage of being based on completed source material, the lack of which some would say was behind the shortcomings of later GoT series.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:Yeah, going to be some battle of the blockbuster shows (the Oasis v Blur of TV?) though not sure there’s a true way of comparing ratings across the platforms. Critical response will be key, and HotD seemingly has the advantage of being based on completed source material, the lack of which some would say was behind the shortcomings of later GoT series.
In that Blur and Oasis were way past their peaks when the battle commenced with much inferior and vastly over hyped product?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 15:31
forestfan wrote:Yeah, going to be some battle of the blockbuster shows (the Oasis v Blur of TV?) though not sure there’s a true way of comparing ratings across the platforms. Critical response will be key, and HotD seemingly has the advantage of being based on completed source material, the lack of which some would say was behind the shortcomings of later GoT series.
In that Blur and Oasis were way past their peaks when the battle commenced with much inferior and vastly over hyped product?
Well, perhaps… though Oasis had only released one album at the time, even if Roll With It was a fairly mediocre single.

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Game of Thrones - Inc Spoilers to last aired UK TV episode.

Post by Moon Knight »

I’d agree on Oasis who made a half decent album in ‘Definitely Maybe’ before following it up with dross.
Blur however released their best stuff after ‘The Great Escape’ with the albums ‘Blur’, ‘13’ and ‘Think Tank’.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:
Well, perhaps… though Oasis had only released one album at the time, even if Roll With It was a fairly mediocre single.
Oasis made 2 great albums. The Oasis Soup single was off the THIRD album.

/pedantry

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 16:16
forestfan wrote:
Oasis made 2 great albums. The Oasis Soup single was off the THIRD album.

/pedantry
It wasn’t, second single released in advance of WTSMG (ahead of Wonderwall, which it precedes on the album…)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”