To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Jools Holland (again)

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Jools Holland (again)

Post by blahblah »

Great line up again, tonight.

what are the bbc doing dumping Radio 6, which is a feeder for this programme?

Courtney Love is a very guilty pleasure for me, amazing shoulders, but what has she done to her nose?

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

Re: Jools Holland (again)

Post by DixieDean »

blahblah wrote:what are the bbc doing dumping Radio 6, which is a feeder for this programme?
The other way around methinks...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

DixieDean wrote:
blahblah wrote:what are the bbc doing dumping Radio 6, which is a feeder for this programme?

Nah, R6 plays them b4 they appear on Jools.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

Post by DixieDean »

blahblah wrote:
DixieDean wrote:

He's has been showcasing great unknown bands long before there was a radio 6 in my humble.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

DixieDean wrote:
blahblah wrote:
DixieDean wrote:

He's has been showcasing great unknown bands long before there was a radio 6 in my humble.

Sure I have heard Mumford and sons b4, and the girl with the harp.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Ever since they announced 6 Music might close it's listening figures have shot up. The Beeb realise they made a big mistake and it's highly unlikely they'll pull it now. Last I heard they were going to rename it Radio 2+, or something like that. That way they save face: technically 6 Music won't exist any more, but actually it will.

PS Mumford & Sons have been on Jools before, let alone 6 Music.

PPS Yeah, Courteny Love, definitely :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Billy Whiz wrote: PPS Yeah, Courteny Love, definitely :wink:
I think we are alone on this one :wink:

unc.si
Grumpy Old Man

Post by unc.si »

I like Mumford and Sons, but why are they named after a firm of funeral directors?

Caught them playing 'the cave' on Jools. Good song. Can't decide whether it's a clever nod to Plato or just another angst ridden rejected student tune, but I like it.

Skinny Little Bitch was great as well. Another fan of Courtney Love's Hole here.

Saw some of last night's show but didn't think it was that great. Generally love the show though.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

unc.si wrote:I like Mumford and Sons, but why are they named after a firm of funeral directors?
The main man in the band is called Mumford. I think it is a crap name and wouldn't be happy being an "& son" in the band. Good album though but not as great as some would have you believe. Can work better as individual tracks as a full play of the album gets a bit stodgy.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

unc.si wrote:I like Mumford and Sons, but why are they named after a firm of funeral directors?

Caught them playing 'the cave' on Jools. Good song. Can't decide whether it's a clever nod to Plato or just another angst ridden rejected student tune, but I like it.

Skinny Little Bitch was great as well. Another fan of Courtney Love's Hole here.

Saw some of last night's show but didn't think it was that great. Generally love the show though.

We have the makings of a fan club :lol: :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

What is the deal with Cee Lo Green?

Watching for Glavegas, as new album sounded interesting.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Guess who has been supporting U2 :lol: :lol:

Sounded better acoustic, and not as good as their new mentors' Gloria, imho. He should have stuck at the football.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

I get bits of news of upcoming JH shows (from 'liking' the official page) on my facebook newsfeed, and what caught my eye this week was the number of people commenting on Haim's performance, and imploring others to keep an eye out for the faces pulled by the Haim bass player. Only caught one of their songs on last nights show, but didn't think (at the time) there was anything too extraordinary. Then I watched this video...

BASS FACE

I obviously caught the wrong song!

Full performance:

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Lol, tried to get tickets to see them but they were sold out. Amazing bass face! For those that don't know, they are sisters.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Another interesting line up tonight, while some os you (old gets) will be watching for the Pixes, I will be being young and watching for Ms Monae.

I thought Lorde were quite interesting last week, with Royals being quite hypnotic.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Janelle Monae and Pixies on the same show. Will definitely be taping that one.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Having bought tickets for Savages today, looking forward to them.
Wonder if they're a one trick pony (only seen/heard them on the Glastonbury coverage).

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

I thought Lorde was the best of the bunch. And she's only 16! Bloody hell.

The worst act was Sting. God, that was a boring set. And why has he suddenly adopted a cod Geordie accent? I know that's where he's from, but he never used to sing like that. Maybe he's been watching Alan Shearer too much.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I was going to slate Mr Sumner, but I am trying to be polite, diplomatic etc :lol:

The reason for the daft accent was that the songs are from his new album, which is a play with songs and Jimmy Nail is playing the lead and singing the songs...

In a strange interview (Friday version) he omitted his attempts at teaching just saying he played guitart and sang to avoid the shipyard at the end of the road.

I reckon he has knocked out no more than half a dozen good songs, and is lauded like......

I have youtubed a few more of Lorde and her voice is quite something for one so young, hopefully she will not be another one album wonder.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:Janelle Monae and Pixies on the same show. Will definitely be taping that one.
Tape the Friday (?) Version. Get more slngs than the live one.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

I usually always fast-forward the interviews on Jools, he being the most sycophantic interviewer on television, so I missed that about Sting. I did watch the Righteous Brother interview though, and just as Bill Medley was about to expand on why Phil Spector was such a unique producer, Holland interrupted him with his usual stock question - who did you listen to when you were young? - thus proving once again that he never listens to, and/or isn't interested in, the answers his interviewees give.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Indeed, and unsurprisingly similar in real life, so I was told by someone who considered himself unfortunate to know him :lol:

You forgot to mention how he plays inappropriate piano doing performances :wink:

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Just watched Jools.

2 observations:

Janelle Monae's been taking dancing lessons from The Cat from Red Dwarf
Pixies got old

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:Pixies got old
Yep. They've actually been reformed now for longer than they were together in the first place - and they weren't a falsh in the pan orinally as they hung around to make several albums! (OK Kim D has just left to be replaced by newKim - spent most of Jools trying to work out who she reminded me off and finally figured out she is a thin Liza Tarbuck!).

Thought they were still great on Jools. Can't be easy being 50+ and still being sufficiently manic to play Wave Of Mutilation etc!

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I thought Tony Joe White was good, but didn't realise who\what he was :shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Joe_White" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Blue eyed Hexe. I like.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Q.U.E.E.N

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Chas & Dave are on this week's show. No doubt Jools will do a Snooker Loopy boogie woogie and spoil EVERYTHING!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Ha ha.... not the Savages I had expected!

Wasn't that impressed by the show to be honest.

I'm not a Pixies fan (new or old).
Janelle Monae was like something from a stage musical (not my bag). Wasn't in to anyone else on the show (can't even remember who they were).

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Zimmerman wrote:Ha ha.... not the Savages I had expected!

Yeah, I didn't like to say.........I hope you've bought tickets for the right one!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”