To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Jools Holland (again)

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: Jools Holland (again)

Post by Zimmerman »

Got tickets for 'The Savages' and not '& the Savages'

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Post by moonlightdribbler »

You're making this much more confusing than it needs to be. It's just 'Savages'. :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Which one sings - Robbie or Lily?

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

They're two different people?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

moonlightdribbler wrote:They're two different people?
On stage yes, Robbie gets Paul O'Grady to cover his Lily persona....

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Post by Knulpuk »

Just catching up on I player

Janelle Monae was really good I thought (especially the 1st track) a lot of energy going on there.

Thought Pixies were good, especially the last track. Black Francis and David Lovering's (drummer) has been following a career as a magician! (That's according to Wiki). Hugh Laurie looked a bit embarresed about being there.

I think Barrence is a fantastic name.

Sting has become ridiculous - what on earth was Jimmy Nail doing there too looking slightly worse for wear.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

From page 1, I couldn't be assed typing it again...
blahblah wrote:I was going to slate Mr Sumner, but I am trying to be polite, diplomatic etc :lol:

The reason for the daft accent was that the songs are from his new album, which is a play with songs and Jimmy Nail is playing the lead and singing the songs...

In a strange interview (Friday version) he omitted his attempts at teaching just saying he played guitart and sang to avoid the shipyard at the end of the road.

I reckon he has knocked out no more than half a dozen good songs, and is lauded like......

I have youtubed a few more of Lorde and her voice is quite something for one so young, hopefully she will not be another one album wonder.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Knulpuk wrote: Thought Pixies were good, especially the last track. Black Francis and David Lovering's (drummer) has been following a career as a magician! (That's according to Wiki).

Would that be 'Indie Cindy'? Of the new stuff I heard, I thought that was the stand out track.

I'm a bit confused as to how Jools Holland works these days. I was always under the impression that if you missed the midweek show, you'd be able to see it all (plus extras) in the weekend show. Now my mate assured me the Pixies finished with 'Wave Of Mutilation' on the 1st show(?), so I got all excited but then it wasn't included in the longer show. Unless I missed it in the periods I was channel hopping...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

That was my understanding too (I only Sky+ the Friday show on that basis).

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Thought the last song was Blue Eyed Hexe? Could be wrong though. Yes, the last song was Wave of Mutilation on the earlier show so I was a bit confused when it wasn't on the extended version.

Actually thought Wave of mutilation was a bit muted. It wasn't the slow version, but didn't really blow you away like the fast version. Thought Blue Eyed Hexe was actually a better performance. Almost felt like they were going through the motions a bit with Mutilation.

Kim 2.0 seems OK. Obviously no-one can replace the sublime Kim Deal, but not a bad replacement I guess.

Pixies were the subject of a Radio 2 thingy the other night. Heard the teasers when I was driving back (Jo Whiley show) but I was at home before it started. Think she was interviewing Kim? probably on iplayer I guess.

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Post by fancy dan »

unc.si. wrote: Pixies were the subject of a Radio 2 thingy the other night. Heard the teasers when I was driving back (Jo Whiley show) but I was at home before it started. Think she was interviewing Kim? probably on iplayer I guess.
Imagine reading that opening sentence in 1989... :shock:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote:That was my understanding too (I only Sky+ the Friday show on that basis).
Snap but on this occassion I watched the first and saw Wave Of Mutilation.

Does this mean I have to Sky+ both now....:cry:

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Good line up tonight, Alison Goldfrapp has a voice like honey, the guitar thrashers, Radkey were not bad either, will check them out soon.
And then there was Chas & Dave, like Marmite, which I actually like, but not them.
Ain't no pleasing me.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Lloyd Cole has one of the oddest accents I've ever heard.
That was a very awkward interview as well.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

I'll be honest, I don't watch this anywhere near as much as I used to (I think the last time I went out of my way to catch it was when the Pixies appeared on it the other year). I only really keep tabs on who's going to be on the show via their facebook page, as I've pretty much given up on finding my new favourite band appearing on it any time soon.

I stumbled across it and so watched a segment of this week's on Friday night - duller than shite these days, innit? I think the current music scene is as healthy as ever in terms of what's out there, but it's as if the people behind 'Later...' go out of their way to book boring, uninspiring acts. The types of music continues to be diverse, but the acts themselves all share the common theme of being blander than bland. I'm sure whenever Jamie Cullem has a new album out, he's a dead cert to be on the show!

The show I used to watch and enjoy many years ago just seems a distant memory. Either that or I'm getting grumpy in my old age.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I half agree... But look up Future Islands from two weeks ago. He gave it a much needed shot in the arm!

But in principle, I find I 'watch' most of it on fast forward.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

I'd actually seen the Future Islands performance (one song) via someone sharing the vid on facebook. Can't fault the guy's passion, but I think they're a bit over hyped musically.

They first came on my radar when they got loads of attention from this performance on Letterman:

I love the song Tin Man which was on their earlier album, but aside from that there's nothing that really floats my boat about them. Still, it's better than what's usually on Jools...

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Well that was extraordinary - and that was without the sound up for the first run through!

I've been lost on the internet for the last 10 minutes having seen that, there's a lot of coverage of that Letterman performance especially. Quite the revelation, I like the synth sound but it's the combination of his Henry Rollins/David Grey look combined with death metal lapses that turns it into something else entirely.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Yeeeasssss.

End of the series. At least they finally found something I liked! :wink:

A nice addition in amongst the usual fare of dinosaurs and weird cabaret acts that were booked. I knew they were gonna feature as they actually cancelled their Liverpool gig at pretty short notice so that they could be on. I've got to wait til February to see them now. Swings & roundabouts.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Can't get the last video to play.... What was it?

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Darbyand wrote:Can't get the last video to play.... What was it?

Jools doing once of his infamous piano Boogie Woogies over a classic song, thus ruining it.

No, not really. It was The War On Drugs - Red Eyes.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Aaah I saw them in Manchester last Friday night. Highly recommended if you get the chance.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Last nights/this mornings hootenanny was for me, one of the best for some time, every artist was interesting and very entertaining.
A great duet between William Bell and Joss Stone, some blinding performances from Ed Sheeran and Hayseed Dixie, along with the excellent vocals of Ellie Goulding, Paolo Nutini & Jess Glynne with Clean Bandit.
Topped off with Wilko Johnson, and the always incredible Paloma Faith.
All went off with no Simon Cowell influence, and no auto tuning.
And a happy new year to all the Fiso folk.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

First year for as long as I can remember I didn't watch/record it.

And seeing that line up, glad I swerved it.

Not sure if it's me getting older or the show going down the pan; but more and more of his shows I spend fast forwarding.

I assume the NYE show attracts a different audience so they have to cater for them.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Only seen half of it so far. Lots of fast forwarding but Paloma Faith was brilliant. Mad as a box of frogs but so talented even as a Tina Turner impersonator. Not as sure on Ed Sheeran as a Bob Marley impersonator but that was ok and Sing went well. Ellie G ok, rest not my cup of tea.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

What is the Sting obsession?

The "unknowns" make the show, yet they dig up fossils......

scarletjim
Dumbledore

Post by scarletjim »

Seriously, you dug up an 18-month old thread just to write that? Awesome. Kudos for that mate. :lol:

And thanks for reminding me about JH - it's a great programme, whenever I get a reminder like this I set my Sky box to record it, but I never get round to watching any of them and they always end up get deleted. I must make more of an effort to watch it from now on. :)

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Watching it now on BT Player, lol.

Well, I started it :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was really good except for the failed teacher :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Mercury thing now, even though I know the wrong one won. Not a big Bowie fan, but Black Star is freaking awesome on so many levels.....

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”