To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Dr Who

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Dr Who

Post by murf »

Maldini wrote:
murf wrote:If it is up overall then I bet it is appealling to younger kids
Those nasty writers....writing a kids television programme to appeal to kids rather than middle aged men. ImageImage
It used to appeal to everyone in different ways but the target age (of kids, even ignoring adults) has dropped right down. It has been Ja Ja Binksed.

Who am I to say that is wrong?.... but they are messing with a succesful formula that isn't (wasn't) broken.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I’m absolutely loving it. With the exception of the first two episodes (character introduction) and the silly on one the medical ship, every episode has engaged me.

The Rosa Parkes episode was magnificent, as was the one set in the Punjab.

Can’t wait to get my daughter interested in the next couple of years!

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

bspittles wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 20:03
Don't you think that those 2 episodes epitomise everything that time travel in every genre stands against? The Dr and her companions actively interfered in history in both cases with their interactions. The premise of 'it wouldn't have happened if we weren't here' has been done so much better in other books, tv and films previously, weak writing at best, plagiarism at worst.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Those 2 episodes (esp. Rosa Parkes) and the were maybe the least weak as (adult?) entertainment. They did wind up me up in terms of messing with history (the Doc even kept mentioning it but they blundered on) - also witch trials one. They also came across as a bit PC preachey with the characters looking down on the uneducated as if they were dumb.

get_on_my_cocker
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Won many company leagues, and nearly won TFFO back in the day. Also managed Carra's team to success in Sky FF

Post by get_on_my_cocker »

I've enjoyed the series. Sitting down each week with my children has been a great way to end the weekend. I like the way they have gone back to the original 1963 template, with trips to the past, present and future as well as alien worlds. The history episodes were particularly enjoyable for me as it raised a lot of questions from my kids about Rosa Parks (they knew nothing about her) or the partition of India (again, they knew nothing).

Just a shame we have to wait until 2020 for the next series.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Vid wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 20:15
bspittles wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 20:03
Don't you think that those 2 episodes epitomise everything that time travel in every genre stands against? The Dr and her companions actively interfered in history in both cases with their interactions. The premise of 'it wouldn't have happened if we weren't here' has been done so much better in other books, tv and films previously, weak writing at best, plagiarism at worst.
In the Rosa Parkes episode, they were preventing someone else from interfering with history. How did they interfere with the Punjab one, I might have not noticed?

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

This weekend’s episode was a classic. Unexpected characters and lots of unanswered questions. The best, IMO, for a few years.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Whilst I'm still watching it I find it a bit underwhelming these days and the Doctor very annoying. :(

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Spinynorman wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 19:03 Whilst I'm still watching it I find it a bit underwhelming these days and the Doctor very annoying. :(
Snap. The assistants are equally annoying (especially the lad)

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

murf wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 19:53
Spinynorman wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 19:03 Whilst I'm still watching it I find it a bit underwhelming these days and the Doctor very annoying. :(
Snap. The assistants are equally annoying (especially the lad)
The story telling is absolute shite, can't even afford to get Captain Jack for a whole episode, Cybermen coming again, ho hum, they have never, ever been a real threat in the last 55 years (or whenever they were first invented). Current Doctor remains a bore, new Master, not as psychotic as previous incarnations. 3 'companions'? Nah!

Bring back Sylvester McCoy, no longer worst of the lot!

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Post by el_pappje »

bspittles wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 18:13 This weekend’s episode was a classic. Unexpected characters and lots of unanswered questions. The best, IMO, for a few years.
It's definitely a classic compared to everything else from the Chris Chibnall era. If that's damning it with faint praise, perhaps that's fair. Over the last year or so I went through the whole Tennant & Smith eras, plus a bit of Capaldi, with my son, which was great fun. He'd light up when seeing a Stephen Moffat episode was on its way and got completely into the twists and turns and links. The first Jodie Whittaker series left us a bit cold really - we watched it but didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as what came before. I can understand wanting a different approach but it was perhaps trying too hard to be different, while like others I remain unconvinced by a trio of assistants.

The odd thing about this series is that it seems a complete reversal and is regularly bringing in strands from the past. It's obviously going to centre around the destruction of Gallifrey but that scene where The Master tells the Doctor what's happened seemed to foretell that Chibnall is going to rip up everything that's gone before and re-write the history to his own style. If so, we'll have to see if it comes off or not.

A cynic might wonder if he'd been given a steer that his new style had alienated too many committed viewers without bringing in enough new ones, so was asked to try and bring back some of the Moffat/Russell T Davies era fans - and that his answer is to bring back the characters, enemies and locations but to deliberately trash the plots that went before....

All that said, I'll be watching tomorrow to see what comes next!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Only really come on to post the above pic I found on Facebook but while I'm here....

...quite enjoyed the David Tennant ones over christmas, seemed to go back to what made it good (all despite the incessant pushing of woke issues being overly distracting (whatever you think of the politics - I'm watching for light entertainment purpose only, not to be lectured!)).

Then I started to watch the one with the new (half) doctor. Really silly and annoying like the worst of recent series. I gave up half way through and won't be going back :(

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I thought all of the Tennant episodes and the Christmas one were great. Seriously silly but great.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”