To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Beerfuelled Movie Appreciation Thread

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Beerfuelled Movie Appreciation Thread

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Not aimed at that classic Brando movie you loved as a youth, but of recent films on the shelves in Xtra Vision currently, to assist movie fans (like me) when making a selection.

I watched Elizabethtown last night. Starring Orlando Bloom & Kirsten Dunst, Directed by Cameron Crowe & produced by, amongst others, Tom Cruise it tells the story of Rudy Baylor, spared suicide after losing his company 972m dollars he meets Kirsten Dunst, and the rest woul d spoil it. Highly recommended.

Vannie
Dumbledore
FS Record: Mortal enemy of the PM system

Post by Vannie »

A couple of fairly low profile recent titles that I can recommend:

Chopper - Darkly comic story of infamous Aussie killer Mark Chopper Reid. Eric Bana is just superb in this although it's not for the faint hearted.

Friday Night Lights - Enjoyed this more than any new sporting movie in ages. Based on American Football although you don't have to be a fan of it to enjoy the film. Pretty much the classic American tale of the small-town team but done in style, stars Billy Bob Thornton.

BFM - is Orlando Bloom bearable in Elizabethtown ? I would probably have seen it by now but he sets my teeth on edge.

JC
Kevin and Perry

Post by JC »

I watched Thumbsucker at the weekend. Despite the strange title I found it funny. Its a weird coming of age story - reminded me of Donnie Darko but without the supernatural elements.

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Bloom doesnt particularly bother me, but then few do. The story is very much in the 'feel good' or 'heartwarming' line. There are no car chases. lol.

Have seen Friday Night Lights on the shelves & wondered, so cheers for your views, will give it a chance. Precisely what I hoped for when starting the thread.

The Jezster
Dumbledore

Post by The Jezster »

I can also thoroughly recommend Chopper. It is a cracking film. Ive owned it on dvd for a little over a year now and watch it every couple of months when i want a laugh... quality viewing.

"Keithy boy, whats the matter mate? aw shit, Keithy, look what you made me do now.. your bleeding Keithy"...

Funnily enough, BFM, I was actually going to start this thread up a few days ago too. I had just watched Dukes of Hazzard and nearly wet myself watching it. It was one of the funniest movies ive seen in a long time, AND it has Jessica Simpson in :wink: mmmmm, Jessica......

Aside from them, I watched the Machinist last night, which was different. I enjoyed it and it did make me think a little so probably worth watching. Bale lost a serious amount of weight to make this film too, its staggering what he looks like i have to say.

Got the Longest Yard and Salems Lot to watch next, might give one of them a go tonight.

Vannie
Dumbledore

Post by Vannie »

Beerfuelledman wrote:Have seen Friday Night Lights on the shelves & wondered, so cheers for your views, will give it a chance.
no worries, let me know how you get on.

I'm sure you've seen this but just in case (and for those who haven't), the mother and father of all movie sites: http://www.imdb.com/

Madchester
FISO Michael Knighton
FS Record: Impressive

Post by Madchester »

Being in the position of having watched most dvds worth watching is a dangerous one... for example, last weekend I was scraping the barrell and watched "Are We There Yet?"... which was... how you say... a hoot (good no-brain entertainment really, I'll give it that). Week before I watched "The Island" which was very good and recommend it, also Sin City is worth a look.

Bewitched is out now isn't it :wink:

The Jezster
Dumbledore

Post by The Jezster »

Talking about light hearted no brainers as it where, has anyone seen "White Chicks"?

Its extremely funny, i cant imagine anyone not laughing through it

Madchester
FISO Michael Knighton

Post by Madchester »

Did you know that people laugh at people who've seen "White Chicks"? :shock: :wink:

The Jezster
Dumbledore

Post by The Jezster »

Madchester wrote:Did you know that people laugh at people who've seen "White Chicks"? :shock: :wink:
Did you know that people who have laughed at white chicks, are actually laughing at those who laugh at people who have watched it :?

Anyway, off to watch beauty and the geek now... :lol:

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Got bored (also drunk) watching The Island, didnt like it. Sin City was excellent though. Interested Jez found DOH funny, Id kind of avoided it after a critical slating (even though JS was in it :shock: ) so if its funny I may try. A lot of films seem to pass the night but it takes a different sort to make you think you actually enjoyed it. Heard rave reviews about "Descent" - load of pish.

snout
FISO Knight
FS Record: a slice of that cake, over there

Post by snout »

"The Constant Gardener" was good. If you like Le Carre books, this is one of the best adaptations they have ever done. Rachel Weisz was excellent in it even though she starts the movie dead!
Last edited by snout on 08 Feb 2006, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Madchester wrote: Bewitched is out now isn't it :wink:
MrsJ made me watch this on Monday.... and I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it! This is especially surprising considering I actually wanted to dislike it!
The comedian (name escapes me) who plays Samantha's husband Darren is pretty off the wall, but funny all the same - in the mould of Jim Carey I'd say. But the show stealer is Nicole Kidman as Samantha. She's funny and sexy, and has the part off to a tee. She can wiggle that nose at me anytime!!

Zeus
Treebeard
Location: Work Work Work, Hello Boys, have a good nights rest ? I missed you !

Post by Zeus »

Beerfuelledman wrote: Heard rave reviews about "Descent" - load of pish.
I can thoroughly agree with Beerfuelledmans review here, utter shite !
This weekend I managed to sit through three movies:

The Island - Ewan McGregor does usual wooden acting in average sci-fi thriller, impressive sets and the sight of the lovely Charlize Theron and the acting of Steve Buscemi drag it to an acceptable level

40 Year Old Virgin - Made for the 'American Pie' crowd, some funny bits, some that make you wince and surprisingly it goes quite moralistic at the end

Wolf Creek - 'Based' on a true story in australia where some poor unfortunate backpackers are hacked to pieces, its director, obviously struggling with the weak script and average acting of the players, just ramped up the gore to a massively overblown level.

Madchester
FISO Michael Knighton

Post by Madchester »

Zeus wrote: The Island - Ewan McGregor does usual wooden acting in average sci-fi thriller,
I thought he was alright - wasn't that bad a performance for what the film was.

Auspicious
FISOhead
FS Record: 3rd place William Hill Euro 2004, Top 20 finish Daily Star, Winner of TFFCL Goldenboot 2012

Post by Auspicious »

I enjoyed the island...was an intresting concept..and scarlett was in it :D . As for Ewan Macgregor being wooden....well he was a clone with no human emotions ffs! :wink:
reccomended 7/10

gaskino
FISOhead
Location: Keeping my head while all around, people are losing theirs.

Post by gaskino »

Crash is my favourite of the last few months. Saw it on the plane to the states in November last year. I guess it's been out on DVD for a while, but if you haven't seen it, you must do. Great film.

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

I've seen Friday Night Lights, if you dont follow american football i dont see how you could follow or enjoy it. I thought it was distinctly ordinary too.

I'd be interested in what anyone who doesnt watch American Football thought of it.

thelip
FISO Jedi Braveheart
FS Record: Variable

Post by thelip »

gaskino wrote:Crash is my favourite of the last few months. Saw it on the plane to the states in November last year. I guess it's been out on DVD for a while, but if you haven't seen it, you must do. Great film.
You watched a film called "Crash" on a plane??? :shock:

Vannie
Dumbledore

Post by Vannie »

CanaryYellow wrote:I've seen Friday Night Lights, if you dont follow american football i dont see how you could follow or enjoy it. I thought it was distinctly ordinary too.

I'd be interested in what anyone who doesnt watch American Football thought of it.
I don't follow American Football at all and really liked it :? , same goes for the two mates who recommended it to me. Perhaps it appeals more to the non fan ?

Agree with the consensus on The Descent, rubbish. Always find it doubly disappointing when a really good premise for a film (claustrophobic horror in a cave plus totty) is wasted in the execution. Anyway, got to go as I've got Kate Beckinsale waiting downstairs in a rubber catsuit (sadly it's only a DVD of Underworld)

gaskino
FISOhead
Location: Keeping my head while all around, people are losing theirs.

Post by gaskino »

thelip wrote:
You watched a film called "Crash" on a plane??? :shock:
:lol: :lol:

A gamble, I know, but it paid off. Not a 747 in sight!

CanaryYellow
FISO Knight

Post by CanaryYellow »

I watched Michael Moores 9/11 documentary complete with burning towers on a flight to Florida once.

threeyardmiss
Dumbledore

Post by threeyardmiss »

Just watched Saw II. Thought it was excellent, aswell as Saw. Very clever films, gruesome but thoughtful. A lot of 'Aaaah' moments at the end when everything unfolds.

Finsimbo
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: If only there was a record

Post by Finsimbo »

I said it so Ill say it again.

Kung foo Hustle, best film I saw of lasy year.

Someone's gotta have ssen it too

Zeus
Treebeard
Location: Work Work Work, Hello Boys, have a good nights rest ? I missed you !

Post by Zeus »

Vannie wrote:
CanaryYellow wrote:I've seen Friday Night Lights, if you dont follow american football i dont see how you could follow or enjoy it. I thought it was distinctly ordinary too.

I don't follow American Football at all and really liked it :? , same goes for the two mates who recommended it to me. Perhaps it appeals more to the non fan ?

Agree with the consensus on The Descent, rubbish. Always find it doubly disappointing when a really good premise for a film (claustrophobic horror in a cave plus totty) is wasted in the execution. Anyway, got to go as I've got Kate Beckinsale waiting downstairs in a rubber catsuit (sadly it's only a DVD of Underworld)
The only American Football movies I have seen that are recent are 'The longets Yard' which has Adam Sandler in a remake of the classic "Mean Machine". The Cover said it was a comedy but I think that is a loose description. The second which is more recent and was "Any Given Sunday" which was truly excellent, Al Pacino triumphs yet again!

primitive man
Grumpy Old Man

Post by primitive man »

A film that only had a limited release is out now on video.

A British black comedy - Dead Man's Shoes.

Highly Recommended.

Razorback
FISO Knight
FS Record: 8th overall TFF 06/07, TFF25s & FISO Super League Champion 06/07, FISO Euro 2008 Predictions League Champion, 2nd overall Sky FF 08/09, 263rd overall FPL 08/09, Block Party Super League Champion 10/11 & 44th overall TFF 11/12

Post by Razorback »

Finsimbo wrote:
I said it so Ill say it again.

Kung foo Hustle, best film I saw of lasy year.

Someone's gotta have ssen it too
Agreed, Kung Fu Hustle is a fantastic film, have you seen Shaolin Soccer?
Made by the same actor/director and (in my opinion) is really good as well...

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

I watched chopper and apart from the odd bit that made me laugh

"looks like he's done himself a mischief"

thought it was pretty crap......but we cant all agree on everything!

Tommyboy17
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Tommyboy17 »

primitive man wrote:A film that only had a limited release is out now on video.

A British black comedy - Dead Man's Shoes.

Highly Recommended.
I have loads of people give it rave reviews. I'm off to buy it

primitive man
Grumpy Old Man

Post by primitive man »

Shop around TommyBoy - its selling for about £14.99 DVD but some have it for £9.99 in sales.

I picked up a copy for £4.99 exrental from Global Video.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”