To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Beerfuelled Movie Appreciation Thread

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: Beerfuelled Movie Appreciation Thread

Post by unc.si. »

Watched Annihilation this week - sci-fi / horror type thing. Maybe not quite as clever as it thinks it is but pretty enjoyable all the same. Maybe a 7/10

Also - Hereditary. Thought this was excellent. Great performances from the lead actress and the kids and some genuinely spine tingling scary bits. Sort of reminded me of the Shining in a few places (in feel, not plot). Well worth seeing and probably a 9/10.

Also saw 300 - rise of an Empire. Manga meets Gladiator. OK if you like that sort of thing, and Oceans 8, which was pretty enjoyable but lightweight. Both kind of around a 6/10.

And finally saw Solo (ie Han Solo), which i thought was a lot better than I expected it to be given what I'd heard about it. Chewbacca, the Millenium Falcon and Woody Harrelson. Whats not to like?? 7/10

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

blahblah wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 16:16
Zimmerman wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 09:40 Bollocks... has this been on television recently?

Absolutely fantastic film. Always had a lot of respect for Carey’s acting skills. This, Truman Show and even Cable Guy show there is actually more depth than all the funny faces and slapstick.

Murf/Blah - check out the documentary/making of on Netflix. Absolutely brilliant if you liked the film.

Jim & Andy: the great beyond
Back on i-player now.
5 mins in... what’s this about again (she’d read the synopsis before we started)
10 mins in... I don’t even think he’s funny
30 mins in... some huffing and sighing
45 mins in... its not for me

Guess I’ll have to finish this on my own 😂
I only wanted her to watch it so she could watch the Netflix doc (but I’ve already seen that too). So it’s her loss.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Well, she is kinda right as he is trying to do as little as possible to get laughs and so is pretty much taking the piss :lol: I wouldn't have liked his stand up stuff (we didn't get to see much over here?) at the time, and didn't like him in Taxi as it was easy\cheap laughs etc. But knowing what he was trying to do: he was a genius! People didn't even believe he was dying..... (Or did he? :wink: ) And the ice cream sketch :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nearly all the Carey scenes are on Yotube, and tbf to Carey he does them well.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Does anyone one know if “A Star is Born” is a musical, or just a film with lots of music? Very hard to get an answer with Google - I think it’s the latter but wondered if anyone knows for sure.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

hancockjr wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 11:37 Does anyone one know if “A Star is Born” is a musical, or just a film with lots of music? Very hard to get an answer with Google - I think it’s the latter but wondered if anyone knows for sure.
I can only presume you want to know so you can try and put the missus off wanting to go and drag you along :?

The original wasn't a musical if that helps.....

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Thanks - guess it’s not then. What current release would you watch?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 11:45
hancockjr wrote: 27 Oct 2018, 11:37 Does anyone one know if “A Star is Born” is a musical, or just a film with lots of music? Very hard to get an answer with Google - I think it’s the latter but wondered if anyone knows for sure.
I can only presume you want to know so you can try and put the missus off wanting to go and drag you along :?

The original wasn't a musical if that helps.....
It's not that sort of film?

Was the original with Kriss and Babs? I can't remember it, but it certainly had songs, although no more a "musical" than strangely still excellent Breaking Glass?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

What do you lot think of Phantom Thread?

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

I have just come back from seeing A Star is Born and I thought it was quite boring for stretches of the film, so you could always say that - you think you will be bored. It looked good from the trailer but it is slow in reality, I am fairly sure I will never watch it again. I liked Bohemian Rhapsody more, it was more entertaining even if it suffered from the opposite problem in that it condensed a lot of stuff so it would fit into the film. (Freddie Mercury found the love of his life, reconciled with his parents, made peace with his dad and performed in the Live Aid concert all in the same day).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Arch Stanton wrote: 31 Oct 2018, 17:40 I have just come back from seeing A Star is Born and I thought it was quite boring for stretches of the film, so you could always say that - you think you will be bored. It looked good from the trailer but it is slow in reality, I am fairly sure I will never watch it again. I liked Bohemian Rhapsody more, it was more entertaining even if it suffered from the opposite problem in that it condensed a lot of stuff so it would fit into the film. (Freddie Mercury found the love of his life, reconciled with his parents, made peace with his dad and performed in the Live Aid concert all in the same day).
I have always struggled with Queen and that song, but I believe that the Kriss and Babs version of Star is Born inspired:

and\or

which had the piquancy of Phil and brunette (Joanne)... him having seen the bessie mates dancing in a Sheffield Club when the original Human League split as he wanted to go "pop". I'd add that there is some irony (don;t go there, lo) that Suzanne blonde could have gone solo and been a "Star"?

I assume the new version is a Ms Gaga sans mad make up\costume etc - and tbh she looks etc better witthout it

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Even then it was wrong

But as per Star is Born, it was probably a vehicle for Kriss and Babs to "shine"again so I wouldn't watch that version any more than this one: but while don't like\get Gaga good luck to her at least she camps it up and "performs" unlike so many in the last however many years....

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

I have never seen the Judy Garland version or the Barbara Streisand version. I have just had a look on IMDB and there are actually four versions of it although the Barbara Streisand version seems to be the one the current version is based on.

I am not a huge fan of Queens music, although I did really like the Highlander soundtrack but that film gave me a new appreciation of it to be honest. It is not the greatest film, it is the music that made film better. if you really hate the music that film would be no where near as enjoyable.

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

I saw Widows today and i thought it was pretty good. It is hard to overcome the central flaw which is that downtrodden women with no previous criminal experience could somehow pull off a dangerous robbery, even with the help of a notebook laying out the plan. It just doesn't seem credible but as that is the central premise of the original story they are pretty much saddled with it. I didn't feel like they managed to overcome that handicap but despite that it was well written and overall enjoyable.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The TV Series was quite good though? I wasn't that old in 1980(ish) to be a cynical old get :shock: But it had a hardcore oldie bullying a "pretty" blonde who then turned strong\nasty near the end\climax.

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

I never saw the original but I have seen other stuff by Lynda La Plante and read one of her books, so I can picture what you mean.

I am guessing in the original they lived in that world and knew each other. In the film, they were strangers who had never met each other and were far removed from that world, they even roped in the babysitter as a gateway driver.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I don't think more than 2 of them did, but I'd assume the US film is rather sanitised until any shooting happens, then it goes ballistic. My guess it that it has that omnipresent "it could happen to you" thing, well not most of us without as sex chsnge, but hey ho.

Has Hollywood ever made a film of a European (inc UK) film or series of any note, ie stands up to the original?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

It’s made by an English guy (who claims he grew up watching the series).

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Blimey he grew up quickly :shock:

:lol: :lol:

happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Post by happyhoppy »

Watched the ballad of buster scruggs the new coen bros film on Netflix. A series of short western based stories. Really enjoyed it. 8/10

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Didn’t realise that was on there. Will add it to my list.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

I gave it an 8 too

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Watched Crazy Rich Asians on the plane the other day. Rave reviews in the US, lukewarm reception in China.
I'm with the Chinese. Pretty anodyne chick flick

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

unc.si. wrote:Watched Crazy Rich Asians on the plane the other day. Rave reviews in the US, lukewarm reception in China.
I'm with the Chinese. Pretty anodyne chick flick
Conjuring up pictures in my head without looking at a synopsis.....

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Watched 'A Quiet Place'. Fantastic, edge of the seat stuff. Definitely a 9/10

Also, 'Leave No Trace', which is a really well made and well judged story. 9/10 again ,at least.

Both probably right up there in my top films of the year (alongside Hereditary)

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Just come back from watching Widows. Yes there are one or two holes in the plot and the premise is implausible but everything else about it - acting, screenplay, a couple of great twists and brilliant direction from "fake" Steve McQueen that you just roll with it. 5 stars from me.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Blackmirror Bandersnatch Wow. Gonna have to watch this about 10x to see how it ends each time.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Black Mirror SPOILER
Flowchart of endings

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Watched Our Idiot Brother a very light and silly comedy. Worth a watch if at a loose end. Was on Film4 so no doubt will be repeated over the coming weeks. 7/10

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Bandersnatch - I enjoyed it. If it was a normal BM episode it would only have been ok. Although i guess as a straight episodes none of the endings would have been particularly fulfilling. But the interaction made it decent.

Liked the fact that not only was it interactive because of our decisions, but WE ultimately were his schizophrenic voices. Also like the fact there was a little pop/message for us the viewers (about thinking we’re in control but we’re not). Also the odd Black Mirror reference as well.

I took mine down a view blind alleys; I kept choosing the same option when it needed me to choose the other... but I wasn’t sure if it was a test and I had to stick to my guns :D

Is it the first of its kind? Not sure how it will catch on. I’m guessing it’s a ball ache (and expensive) to make.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

unc.si. wrote:Watched 'A Quiet Place'. Fantastic, edge of the seat stuff. Definitely a 9/10

Also, 'Leave No Trace', which is a really well made and well judged story. 9/10 again ,at least.

Both probably right up there in my top films of the year (alongside Hereditary)
Didn’t really enjoy A Quiet Place which whilst it had a few suspenseful moments bordered on the ridiculous at times. 6/10

But did really enjoy Leave no trace which was beautifully done. 9/10

Great guardian review here
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theg ... bra-granik

Also watched Deadpool 2 - having watched and really enjoyed the first the sequel as is often the case was a step too far for me. Overly long, humour was mostly repeated. And in general terms I’m not really a marvel film guy. The first was kinda unique but this was just another marvel.

Bit like Kickass which was fantastic but the sequel just didn’t cut it.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”