To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

WWII films, TV series / box sets & documentaries

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

WWII films, TV series / box sets & documentaries

Post by bluelionman »

I've always loved films set in or on WWII just a period of history I am really into so thought I'd start a thread up.

I just seen the new Tom Hanks film Greyhound so here's my review on it:

GREYHOUND (2020) - 5/10 (Worth Watching)

WWII

I do like my World War 2 based films so of course as soon as this was released I was going to watch it. As usual Tom Hanks give s a stellar enough performance but for me it is not a patch on Saving Private Ryan nor does it really build the same level of suspense as say U-571 or Das Boot does. All in all its a World War II movie worth watching but not an all time great and not one I would watch over and over again. Also I doubt it will get anywhere near the top of Tom Hanks best or most memorable films - he's been in far far better ones.

(*Sorry I cant work out how to make the image show here either loading it up from a saved file or posting a link to where its hosted on line neither seems to work for me here. I'm not very tech savy - wish I knew how to do this here.) A big thanks to "SamD" for helping me fix this. *If only this site worked like TFP or FB where I cut and paste a picture and it just loads, simples!
Last edited by bluelionman on 23 Jul 2020, 22:16, edited 7 times in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: WWII films

Post by blahblah »

The (old) Stalingrad is brilliant.

One about the last days in the bunker is mire than good.

Tbh I am more into post War Germany eg Lives of Others; If not us the Who and the almost sequel Hauser-Meinhoff with M Gedeck sublime in the 1st and last. Carlos the Jackal is rather good if a tad long. Oh and for the post WWII Four Minutes is brilliant.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Escape To Victory

PS Saving Private Ryan could have been good but was ruined by the whole premise being ludicrous.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Ah the Ipswich bods not at the WC. Left winger having arm broken so Rambo could play in goal....

Heimi Henderson
Kevin and Perry

Post by Heimi Henderson »

Forget the films and just watch The World at War documentary narrated by Olivier.

Superb.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

I agree on Stalingrad (German version), Escape to Victory (A war film with football - what's not to like? :lol: ) and The World at War.

As it's the 80th anniversary I'd add The Battle of Britain. It has a few corny moments, but it's not as jingoistic and gung-ho as many films of that era and many of the scenes showing what happens to the pilots and crew inside the fighters and bombers are pretty sobering.

I've also got a bit of a soft spot for When Trumpets Fade, although it's probably not everyone's cup of tea. It's basically about a GI who's trying to get himself sectioned and sent home, but because he keeps surviving the battles they keep promoting him instead.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Fury was one of my most favourite recent WW2 movies, along with haxsaw ridge. Shades of saving private Ryan for sure, but solid performances from everyone, even Shia LaBeouf.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Sophie Scholl (sp?) is really good.

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

Heimi Henderson wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 23:10 Forget the films and just watch The World at War documentary narrated by Olivier.

Superb.
Seen them all, I watch loads of WWII documentaries as well as films - the ones narrated in English but Russian from their point of view on the Eastern Front are really good to called "Soviet Storm. WW2 in the East - Operation Barbarossa". All episodes are on YouTube here is my review on Facebook to that series and a link is there to the first episode:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2007043 ... 218829215/

Also that 'Nazi Mega Structures' (called 'Nazi Mega Weapons' in USA) is good to.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”