To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

New Streaming Services

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

New Streaming Services

Post by forestfan »

For quite some time the subscription market has been dominated by Netflix, Amazon, and Sky/Now TV... but we’re suddenly getting a rush of new entrants, with Apple launching their new service, and the BBC/ITV venture Britbox also being launched. With Disney’s new service also coming soon, we could need as many as six subscriptions to have all the big shows available to us :shock: (And that’s before we start considering sport...)

Of course, they will sink or swim on the strength of their content, and while classic shows will always find an audience from re-watchers or people binge-watching things they’ve never got round to seeing before, it’s flagship new shows that will get viewers in. I suspect those that unearth a new Game of Thrones or Stranger Things will survive, while the others maybe won’t. And it might not necessarily be the big budget shows with the star names that hit the mark. Apple’s original shows seem to be getting fairly lukewarm reviews so far, though only a small number of episodes to go on.

So... anyone diving straight into the new services? Or happy to stick with the old favourites until a “can’t miss” show comes along?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: New Streaming Services

Post by murf »

Don't use any of them. Get too much to watch already from terrestrial and Sky package (inc their downloads) so don't "need" anything from Netflix & co and they have nothing I must have (eg Liverpool games).

Like most things one will dominate, get more subscriptions, get more budget and puts the others in the shade and ultimately to the sword. Until the new thing emerges.

Presumably Netflix wins, Amazon Prime survives (as it is 'free' with their delivery package) and the rest slowly die. Surprised at Apple even trying - they surely know they are where they are by innovating (or, at least, improving on others' innovations before the market share gets too big) rather than playing a belated catch up.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Apple are odd or bad now? They used to innovate and mock Gates for locking people into Windows but lock everyone doen to their core 😉😊

I guess they assume their Ipad\phone etc people will jump aboard?

RayKeegan
Kevin and Perry

Post by RayKeegan »

I was with Netflix and Amazon Prime for a while, but it felt like I was always missing something or there was too much to watch.

Then I found beste iptv kopen. I've been using it for some time now. It costs me 15 euros a month, and it's only 99 euros for a whole year. The cool part is that it has loads of channels, over 7,000, and many excellent quality movies. They also have this points thing where you get points for signing up, buying stuff, and even on your birthday. I've collected enough points to get a few months for free. It's been a great way to get loads of stuff to watch without needing a bunch of different subscriptions.
Last edited by RayKeegan on 29 Jan 2024, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

RayKeegan wrote: 27 Jan 2024, 17:27The streaming market is indeed getting crowded, and it can be overwhelming to keep up with all these new services.
This.

On top of Sky, I presently have Prime and a free trial of Paramount + and a friend shared their Netflix password with us which worked for a few of weeks until it got nuked. That's plenty. I found, as I normally do, that I mostly forgot to look on them and when I remembered, I spent so much time sifting through the chaf to see if there was any wheat that I ran out of time to watch anything in the first place.

When I don't have them, I don't miss them... though I do very much reccommend the Crime Scene documentaries on Netflix (Cecil Hotel, Night Stalker, Times Square Killer) for anyone who has it.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

I don’t have terrestrial tv or any tv packages (virgin, sky etc)

Get by purely on Netflix, prime and the main channel free services (although do pay for ITVX to avoid the adverts)

Must be 12 months now and can’t say I’ve missed ‘normal’ tv.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I watch far to much Youtube.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

unc.si. wrote:do pay for ITVX to avoid the adverts.
Ended up watching something on Prime's adverts included service last evening. Ads were so appallingly placed, frequent and annoying that I gave up and resolved never to watch anything on it again as long as I live.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Bob Newhart wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 09:27
unc.si. wrote:do pay for ITVX to avoid the adverts.
Ended up watching something on Prime's adverts included service last evening. Ads were so appallingly placed, frequent and annoying that I gave up and resolved never to watch anything on it again as long as I live.
That is my thoughts on ITVX. Hate it. If it is good enough it comes on proper ITV on my tellybox. I can live with just terrestrial telly and Sky. More than enough programmes for my lifestyle. I do have Netflix as I got it quite cheap but rarely use it and have to wade through 100s of programmes to find one that appeals. Only get Prime temporarily when there is a Liverpool game on and I can get a cheap deal.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

But ITVX is just Terrestrial ITV with the option to pay not to have adverts ?
I’m more than happy to pay £3.99 a month not to watch the ads.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

unc.si. wrote:But ITVX is just Terrestrial ITV with the option to pay not to have adverts ?
I’m more than happy to pay £3.99 a month not to watch the ads.
I can't download or record from ITVX and they don't let you fast forward the ads etc. Horrible.

BBC iPlayer and Ch4 etc catch ups are all fine (via Sky).

Guppings
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Distant memory

Post by Guppings »

I rarely watch any programme with adverts when shown, always record it & fast forward the adverts.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Guppings wrote:I rarely watch any programme with adverts when shown, always record it & fast forward the adverts.
Snap. Footie is the only thing I watch 'live'

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Guppings wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 15:00 I rarely watch any programme with adverts when shown, always record it & fast forward the adverts.
That’s pretty much why I ditched the tv packages and just do streaming. None of us could remember when we last watched anything when it was actually broadcast, so we ditched Virgin/sky and just choose what to subscribe to. I’ve got a better internet provider than Virgin and saved money as well.

Wouldn’t work for anyone that watches a lot of sky sports, but I never get time to watch much live sport anyway.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

unc.si. wrote:I’ve got a better internet provider than Virgin and saved money as well.
Personally speaking, wouldn’t touch anything associated with Branston's mob with a bargepole.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Bob Newhart wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 16:52
unc.si. wrote:I’ve got a better internet provider than Virgin and saved money as well.
Personally speaking, wouldn’t touch anything associated with Branston's mob with a bargepole.
You’ll be in a pickle if you do?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

blahblah wrote: 07 Nov 2019, 12:02 Apple are odd or bad now? They used to innovate and mock Gates for locking people into Windows but lock everyone doen to their core 😉😊

I guess they assume their Ipad\phone etc people will jump aboard?
3 years later I actually got an Apple TV box to ease the strain on the Fire stick by using YouTube, Spotify and the NFL Game pass.

3 months later they're sendinge a new box because (and I kid you not) their Genius Bar, which wasn't even a table, last alone a bar, couldn't sort out the intermittent not starting problem.

The free trial won't be being extended coz it's duller than a dull thing.

Frank Zito
Treebeard
FS Record: OK

Post by Frank Zito »

forestfan wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 19:41
Bob Newhart wrote: 28 Jan 2024, 16:52
You’ll be in a pickle if you do?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank Zito
Treebeard
FS Record: OK

Post by Frank Zito »

I've got Sky and several of the streaming services.

But it's like what was said earlier, you often spend so much time going through them trying to work out what to watch that you lose the time to watch anything at that moment.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I try to note down new or upcoming series I hear about that I’m interested in watching (along with classics I’ve never got round to), then just pick something off it when I want to start something new. There could be better recommendation sites/apps that span all the broadcast channels and streaming services (maybe there already are…)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”