To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Have remakes/reboots ever worked?

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Have remakes/reboots ever worked?

Post by RomynPG »

Porridge "reboot" :twisted:
Last edited by RomynPG on 07 Oct 2017, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Re: Just STOP

Post by morganb »

Did you really watch it until 21:51? I lasted for less than 5 minutes. I didn't watch the pilot but I (stupidly) thought that if the BBC commissioned a whole series it must be good!

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Saw the clips when they were promoting it so didn't dare watch. The original was brilliant.

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

morganb wrote: 06 Oct 2017, 22:06 Did you really watch it until 21:51? I lasted for less than 5 minutes. I didn't watch the pilot but I (stupidly) thought that if the BBC commissioned a whole series it must be good!
I came in late :)

... it's possibly the worst thing I have ever seen.

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Comedy-wise the original was an absolute Colossus. Pretty much flawless. No one will ever replace Ronnie Barker. The supporting cast, Clement & La Frenais as writers. The whole package was top notch.

The pilot was quite strong. Just watched episode 1. It was ok. Potential. Clement & La Frenais are legends, so will stick with it.

Going to watch Ep 2 now.

Saira Choudhry :D :D :D

Mods/Romyn: worth editing the title but keep the sentiment?

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Re: Have remakes/reboots ever worked?

Post by RomynPG »

Latic wrote: 06 Oct 2017, 23:40 Mods/Romyn: worth editing the title but keep the sentiment?
changed to "Have remakes/reboots ever worked?" so we can expand our rage :P

It was looking at the current int-break movie thread that prompted this, plus being inflicted with the Porridge thing, and why I put years in my post there - they've remade Dr Zhivago and Arthur from my listings - and maybe more - they remade Get Carter, Alfie ffs ... #makesmemad.

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Just watched Ep2 of Porridge - it's watchable. Better than Ep 1. Prison is probably the ultimate sit-com location.

The re-boot is a hard thing to pull off, as much as I really loved the original, Open All hours (despite it's strong cast) I could never get into that re-boot as much as I tried.

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

Latic wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 00:32 The re-boot is a hard thing to pull off, as much as I really loved the original, Open All hours (despite it's strong cast) I could never get into that re-boot as much as I tried.

While I don't think it really worked I can understand the attempt with Open All Hours - carrying on Granvilles story - but in general remakes/reboots, imo, are extremely lazy and underlines the moribund state of the "creative" industries.

...this is a moaning thread right :)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Sitcoms are so difficult to get right anyway, they're so dependent on the magic formula of actors, characters and writing, and a remake of a classic has added expectation on it and is unlikely to hit the right notes with all of those factors.

Even something like a game show is tricky to remake successfully, the original host is often what made it what it was, and they tend to be very much "of their time". Often they just tinker too much and try and give them an artificial "space age" feel.

Movie franchises on the other hand do it regularly, Bond has successfully been rebooted around once a decade with not too many disasters, Star Wars lost its way a bit with the prequels but seems back on track now. So it seems to work better in cinema than on the small screen.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

The Dr Who reboot was longed-for but many fans, and has been very successful.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I dreaded the reboot pilots the BBC did a year or so back BUT, it had to be said, the Porridge one was pretty good. The lad was a good character, having touches of his uncle(?) without trying to be Fletch II. It should have been cringingly awful but it wasn't.

I didn't know the series had even been made (knew it was commissioned) so can't comment on last night's yet but I'll watch it.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

murf wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 10:45 The lad was a good character, having touches of his uncle(?) without trying to be Fletch II.
In the 5 minutes I watched, Kevin Bishop (who I like) was doing what appeared to be a poor take off of Barker's Fletcher - Cockney accent, chewing gum. The first scene was a copy of a previous scene too!

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Please, please, Aunty, don't touch Steptoe and Son or Fawlty Towers :twisted:

I'm also mightily relieved Rising Damp was on ITV.

Porridge is sacred. I saw the last 15 minutes and was comparing characters like to like. It was tripe. How the hell do you fill the boots of Barker, Beckinsale and Mackay ? Didn't see a Lukewarm though ? Perhaps bring Biggins back ? :D

The best thing on tele at the moment is "People Just Do Nothing" and whilst it's the same "mockumentary" style as The Office, it shows new comedy can still be done.

Stick to the new stufff Aunty and leave the old classics alone !

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

The Office an American Workplace is/was absolutely sublime.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Zimmerman wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 11:01 The Office an American Workplace is/was absolutely sublime.
Don't tend to like American TV comedies as a whole. Exceptions being Police Squad! and the early series of Married with Children. The humour chasm between the two countries is bigger than "the pond"

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 11:01 The Office an American Workplace is/was absolutely sublime.
I tend to give American remakes a huge berth as they are generally appalling but it has to be said this and House of Cards have had good reviews (but I still haven't dared watch either)

Some mentioned Bond / Star Wars / Dr Who but these aren't really remakes, just a restart with a boot - not a 'reboot' either but a 'revitalising'. Many alleged 'reboots' are really 'remakes' and are generally awful. The recent Planet of the Apes films (remakes/reinventions that are wrongly labelled reboots) have been OK though.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

morganb wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 10:57
murf wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 10:45 The lad was a good character, having touches of his uncle(?) without trying to be Fletch II.
In the 5 minutes I watched, Kevin Bishop (who I like) was doing what appeared to be a poor take off of Barker's Fletcher - Cockney accent, chewing gum. The first scene was a copy of a previous scene too!
Sounds like the new episode 1 wasn't as good as the pilot (which I was referencing). I can't comment on last night's as I haven't seen it!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

bluenosey wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 11:10
Don't tend to like American TV comedies as a whole. Exceptions being Police Squad! and the early series of Married with Children. The humour chasm between the two countries is bigger than "the pond"

murf wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 11:15
I tend to give American remakes a huge berth as they are generally appalling but it has to be said this and House of Cards have had good reviews (but I still haven't dared watch either)

Some mentioned Bond / Star Wars / Dr Who but these aren't really remakes, just a restart with a boot - not a 'reboot' either but a 'revitalising'. Many alleged 'reboots' are really 'remakes' and are generally awful. The recent Planet of the Apes films (remakes/reinventions that are wrongly labelled reboots) have been OK though.
After you get over the initial like-for-like analysis it really is very good. So many excellent characters in it.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 11:10
I like Friends and Frasier, but none of the recent US comedies have grabbed me (though all the major animated ones are watchable for the occasional episode).

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”