To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

John Lewis and other bah humbug moans

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

John Lewis and other bah humbug moans

Post by Zimmerman »

Already sick of hearing about the John Lewis advert.

Even more sick of being told we all wait for it (or that it's the first sign of Christmas).

When did this fad start?
I became aware of it last year (the aforementioned rhetoric). I swerved that advert and I'll be doing my best to avoid this years' too.

But I don't recall John Lewis adverts from prior to 2015... so is it a recent phenomenon? Presumably for last year proclamations they've had a Christmas ad for a while?

As I type, was the 2014 advert a young girl in a house pretending to be Elton John?

Whilst I'm at it... No doubt the Coca Cola jizz will start soon. Another sham claim to 'owning' Christmas. I actually have friends that have taken their kids to see the Coca Cola truck when it comes 'to your town'.

Stick it up your @rse and pass me the congealed chocolate orange.

el_pappje
FISO Comedy Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 11 & 16; OFL Golf 4th 09; TFG OFL Overall, Majors, F1oG Winner 09

Re: John Lewis and other bah humbug moans

Post by el_pappje »

Stop being such a miserable curmudgeon and start following @johnlewis on twitter.

Then you'll realise how painful it is for him whenever this time of year comes round and he is confused with @johnlewisretail. Fortunately, he's got a dry sense of humour which makes it all the funnier.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

Clearly there were John Lewis Xmas ads pre 2012, but mostly forgettable.

I'd say 2012 was the start of "the xmas ad" with the Mr and Mrs Snowman, and Power of Love being banged out across the 90 seconds.

Come on Zimmerman, even you will recall Monty the penguin, interesting that ad also featured a kids trampoline, maybe this is the 2nd year they've been left with a shed load of summer stock to shift?

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Santa is traditionally dressed in red and white because of Coca Cola, so that can indeed lay claim to bring a proper tradition.

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

I do remember each years. Last year was the old man on the moon. Penguin before that and the rabbit and hare and the little boy. Think this years one is shite.

It's only 6 weeks till Christmas so I don't mind. I like Christmas it makes pre 12noon drinking acceptable and eating tonnes of food look normal.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

The joys of Sky+ and the 》button.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

What is this Christmas that you are talking about - I thought it was the UK version of Thanksgiving and Black Friday when already overweight people gorge themselves and then fight in shops for bargain goods and new supersized jogging bottoms.
Don't get me started about the 10 week build up to Children in Need when the BBC wastes the licence fee on something other channels would do for free. :evil: :roll:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

hancockjr wrote:Santa is traditionally dressed in red and white because of Coca Cola, so that can indeed lay claim to bring a proper tradition.
Testicles. That's what they like you to believe.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote:
hancockjr wrote:Santa is traditionally dressed in red and white because of Coca Cola, so that can indeed lay claim to bring a proper tradition.
Pretty much, yep.

Hotpot
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Hotpot »

Got in the car this morning and noticed 'Heart Extra' has been renamed 'Heart Extra Xmas'.

Daughter was a bit excited and insisted I leave it on that station. Half an hour later and I've heard Wham, Mariah Carey, Paul McCartney etc. and had a discussion about whether Father Christmas is real or if I'm Father Christmas! :shock:

FFS is Saturday morning in mid November, leave me be!

:evil:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Hotpot wrote:Got in the car this morning and noticed 'Heart Extra' has been renamed 'Heart Extra Xmas'.

Daughter was a bit excited and insisted I leave it on that station. Half an hour later and I've heard Wham, Mariah Carey, Paul McCartney etc. and had a discussion about whether Father Christmas is real or if I'm Father Christmas! :shock:

Just say that Father Christmas is actually a woman, and pass it on to Mrs Pot 8-)

murf
FISO Viscount

Re: RE: Re: John Lewis and other bah humbug moans

Post by murf »

Hotpot wrote:Got in the car this morning and noticed 'Heart Extra' has been renamed 'Heart Extra Xmas'.

Serves you right for listening to Heart!

Huey Morgan was having a Beastie Boys special on my radio!

mad dog
Dumbledog

Post by mad dog »

Daughters 24 isn't she?

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

blahblah wrote:
Zimmerman wrote:
Pretty much, yep.
Actually I agree too having looked more into it:

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christma ... cacola.asp
Snipes wrote:One might therefore fairly grant Coca-Cola some credit for cementing the modern image of Santa Claus in the public consciousness, as in an era before the advent of television, before color motion pictures became common, and before the widespread use of color in newspapers, Coca-Cola's magazine advertisements, billboards, and point-of-sale store displays were for many Americans their primary exposure to the modern Santa Claus image. But at best what Coca-Cola popularized was an image they borrowed, not one they created.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Not sure that article is totally spot on.

Prior to the Cocaine-less Cola people Santa was depicted in other colours: and any credit is about him eschewing blue, green etc.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

el_pappje wrote:Stop being such a miserable curmudgeon and start following @johnlewis on twitter.

Then you'll realise how painful it is for him whenever this time of year comes round and he is confused with @johnlewisretail. Fortunately, he's got a dry sense of humour which makes it all the funnier.
Jacky Boy @afcJACKYBOY
I'm in you @johnlewis
0 replies 44 retweets 177 likes

John Lewis ‏@johnlewis Nov 12
John Lewis Retweeted Jacky Boy
Yeah, you are! Wait, what?

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

hancockjr wrote:
blahblah wrote:
Zimmerman wrote:
Pretty much, yep.
Actually I agree too having looked more into it:

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christma ... cacola.asp
Snipes wrote:One might therefore fairly grant Coca-Cola some credit for cementing the modern image of Santa Claus in the public consciousness, as in an era before the advent of television, before color motion pictures became common, and before the widespread use of color in newspapers, Coca-Cola's magazine advertisements, billboards, and point-of-sale store displays were for many Americans their primary exposure to the modern Santa Claus image. But at best what Coca-Cola popularized was an image they borrowed, not one they created.
Coke spin by the looks of it. Santa's outfit is believed to have been inspired by the Bishop of Myra in the 4th Century... long before the soft drinks market realised its potential:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7152054.stm

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Hate frigging Christmas. I'd totally ban it if I could

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I love Christmas and always have done. :D

mad dog
Dumbledog

Post by mad dog »

Surprised wrote:Hate frigging Christmas. I'd totally ban it if I could

miserable bast-ard.

Seems everyone's doing a Christmas ad. Think the John Lewis one is shite. I prefer the Sainsbury's or Aldi ones. Was watching Im a celeb when last night when the 3 minute 20 ad for Sainsbury's came on. Thought it sounded like James cordon singing and it was.

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Does anybody watch adverts anymore? Just an inconvenience you need to fast forward through aren't they?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Indeed.

I hardly ever (almost never) watch tv 'live'.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Agreed.

Does anybody watch TV live (other than sport) anymore?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote:Indeed.

I hardly ever (almost never) watch tv 'live'.
Only football really.

And I rarely watch the build up or analysis and any half time ads are a good time to have a pee and get a tea or a beer!

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

mad dog wrote:

miserable bast-ard.

Seems everyone's doing a Christmas ad. Think the John Lewis one is shite. I prefer the Sainsbury's or Aldi ones. Was watching Im a celeb when last night when the 3 minute 20 ad for Sainsbury's came on. Thought it sounded like James cordon singing and it was.

I do like the M&S one and yes, I am a miserable bustard :lol:

CigaretteSmokingMan
Treebeard
FS Record: Smokin!

Post by CigaretteSmokingMan »

John F'ing Lewis. Hate the place :twisted:

Belongs in the '70s. Everytime I go in there I expect to see Young Mr. Grace, Mr. Rumbold and Captain Peacock :roll:

CigaretteSmokingMan
Treebeard
FS Record: Smokin!

Post by CigaretteSmokingMan »

This.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

CigaretteSmokingMan wrote:Belongs in the '70s.
So does smoking cigarettes

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

murf wrote:
CigaretteSmokingMan wrote:Belongs in the '70s.
So does smoking cigarettes
VapeMan doesn't sound so 'cool' though!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”