To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Westworld

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Re: Westworld

Post by happyhoppy »

:evil: :wink:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Still trying to work out if I like it or not.

Some dodgy acting, some annoying characters, some inconsistent story lines and some lame story lines.

Meanwhile I'm 7 episodes in and still intrigued to want the next instalment

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

It has picked up a bit - but it's so slow, and drawn out...

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

E7 was better, bit more stuff going on but it's still hard work. Will give it a season.

sjr
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Gentle

Post by sjr »

murf wrote:.....and another thing.....

Where are all the stag dos? Would be great for that! Beats paintball and a strip club.

That is probably the best question I have heard asked anywhere about westworld!! ImageImage

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Episode 8

Getting more interesting but ever more complicated :)

Not helped by the fact I watched one of these geek blog things the other day (with loads of theories etc.) which do/did sound plausible.

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Still loving it.

Yes, it's a bit slow, but that's not a bad thing imo.

jacksosi
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: TFF : 87th 06/07 ; FPL 1401st 08/09 ; 5AS champions 21/22 🔫🍸

Post by jacksosi »

Tall Paul wrote:Still loving it.

Yes, it's a bit slow, but that's not a bad thing imo.
Exactly, ideal tv while ipadding FISO Image

Tall Paul
Dumbledore

Post by Tall Paul »

Just watched the finale.

Fantastic television.

Was worried they'd leave loads of questions, but all the big ones were answered and it's well set up for future series.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Answered too many questions for my liking... Almost like, &*^$, we've made it all too difficult to work out whats going on, lets just spoon feed them everything so they want to watch more. That said, it has been set up perfectly for the next series (with a few new questions)!

Loved the track playing during the big finale being Radiohead's Exit Music :)

Overall, some very good television, absolutely superbly well made.
Hopkins does enough to make you forget how $hit some of the others are at acting.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Westworld

Post by happyhoppy »

Zimmerman wrote: Hopkins does enough to make you forget how $hit some of the others are at acting.
Thanks. Image

Got to watch the last 45 mins bash it out tonight hopefully.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

The finale was good and tied things together so making some 'sense' while remaining completely daft and unbelievable.

Still don't understand how the hosts can suddenly kill guests and how guests can't kill each other. Totally bonkers.

PS Why were there so many families on the trains in and out yet the only guests in the park are single, adult males (not on stag dos!)????

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

So tempted to buy the soundtrack (£10 for about 30 tracks)... But fear it's the sonic equivalent of a flamenco toilet roll holder.

During the show a lot of the songs sound really good... in the car on the way to work I'm fearing less so?!

murf
FISO Viscount

Re: RE: Re: Westworld

Post by murf »

Zimmerman wrote:So tempted to buy the soundtrack (£10 for about 30 tracks)... But fear it's the sonic equivalent of a flamenco toilet roll holder.

During the show a lot of the songs sound really good... in the car on the way to work I'm fearing less so?!
Might be worth sticking on the iPod (or modern equivalent) if you use random shuffle a lot as the odd one being thrown up would be good.....

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Zimmerman wrote:So tempted to buy the soundtrack (£10 for about 30 tracks)... But fear it's the sonic equivalent of a flamenco toilet roll holder.

There is a certain novelty value, but not so sure about longevity.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Season 2 starts tonight on Sky (or 2am this morning for those who were really keen!) complete with Thronecast-style after-episode chat show...

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

forestfan wrote:Season 2 starts tonight on Sky (or 2am this morning for those who were really keen!) complete with Thronecast-style after-episode chat show...
Yes enjoyed the first series, just checked and recorded last night and on the sky planner so may watch after the end of season nothing to play for Goodison borefest i'm now off to - no idea why either, force of habit.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Thanks for the thronecast tip-off (have recorded the 2am showing). Is this (thronecast) a new addition for this season (can’t recall the equivalent for last season. My mate used to send me links to one on YouTube which was great for suggesting theories and highlighting ‘obvious when you know’ stuff.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I can't remember the full details of the S1 ending but it sounds like the robots will be taking over.

Still no stag dos?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

S1 SPOILER

The Young man in Black was effectively on a stag do wasn’t he?

There was a good catch up show aired last week (probably still available on demand).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 20:43 Thanks for the thronecast tip-off (have recorded the 2am showing). Is this (thronecast) a new addition for this season (can’t recall the equivalent for last season. My mate used to send me links to one on YouTube which was great for suggesting theories and highlighting ‘obvious when you know’ stuff.
I don’t know for sure as I box-setted the first season after it was originally shown, but I’m guessing this is new, as they wouldn’t have the idea of how popular it would be in season 1, or a supply of celebrity super-fan guests to hand...

Jonathan Ross on the first one, expect he will be as shit at remembering character names as he is on the GoT equivalent...

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 21:30 S1 SPOILER

The "cool dude" and the "geek" on the train - worked together???

Didn't the geek shoot the cool one or something?

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

blahblah wrote:
Zimmerman wrote: 23 Apr 2018, 21:30 S1 SPOILER

The "cool dude" and the "geek" on the train - worked together???

Didn't the geek shoot the cool one or something?
The geek (William/Man in black) was marrying the sister of the cool dude, which is why they were at the park. They also both worked at the same place, (as the cool dude was mocking him for being meek at work) which then turned out to be Delos as the man in black was revealed to own the park.

Edit - William turned on cool dude and strung him up from memory, but with the chance to save himself. I recall him walking off in the middle of nowhere in his kegs.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I watched the recap last night but might have snoozed through the bit where the cooler brother-in-law died!

Had forgotten that William's non-stag-do was revealed to have been 30+ years earlier!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Logan (dickhead brother-in-law) was mentioned to have died of an overdose at some intervening point in time in this week’s episode, as William revealed to zombie robot father-in-law...

Enjoying S2 on the whole, there’s new revelations (and questions) every week... the back story of William and Delos is more compelling than Dolores and co. going apeshit, which I guess will lead somewhere eventually.

We get to see the long hinted at “Samurai” park next week. As others have commented, you can see the attraction in people living out a fantasy of being a cowboy or samurai, but who would really be driven to go back to colonial India to shoot tigers... :?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Finally caught up and watched this.

Did enjoy it and it’s fantastically made... but by Christ it was complicated. Still not 100% sure I fully understood what was happening / happened.

I think at about episode 6 it was suggested there were something like 40 stories on the go (and 10 time lines).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 20:01 Finally caught up and watched this.

Did enjoy it and it’s fantastically made... but by Christ it was complicated. Still not 100% sure I fully understood what was happening / happened.

I think at about episode 6 it was suggested there weee something like 40 stories on the go (and 10 time lines).
Yeah, think I made sense of most of it (the West:word chat show helped!) and it remained gripping and spectacular but I know reviews were mixed and ratings slipped a bit, and the consensus is it’s perhaps too complex and convoluted to be HBO’s flagship show in the long winter to come :wink:

Still think there will be a few more series and looking forward to seeing what twists they have in store next, anyway. Will probably be 2020 before the next series I guess...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yep, havent watched the final West:Word yet to get a round up of the whole thing.

There is scope to do unlimited things with the show, it doesnt need spin offs, they can just do it in the same show (but a different ‘world’ or timeframe). We might see more episodes like the Indian dude and MiB ones. More chronological (and more logical)?

Only watched the very very end last night (had to recover it from my deleted items) after a prompt from the West Word interview with the makers the week before (which Im sadly watching out of synch).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Oh yeah, the post-credits scene... wasn’t sure quite how far ahead in time that was!

Anyway the series seems to have done well in terms of Emmy nominations, and they have commissioned a third - given the budget though I wonder if the ratings will be high enough long term to sustain it over six series or so? The fact they’re already fast-tracking Westeros-based prequels, which won’t be done on the cheap, perhaps calls that into question.

Arch Stanton
FISOhead

Post by Arch Stanton »

I enjoyed this season overall but some things were annoying. There is no way any man could be shot that many times and survive without immediate medical attention let alone an old man like William, one of the shots hit him square in the chest.

I understand why Bernard's memories were scrambled and how that resulted in a chopped up narrative, it dovetailed nicely with the labyrinth theme that has run through the series but it made for hard work, for me anyway.

I thought the very end after the end titles was interesting. One thing I read was that the end was supposed to signify him after all the events had occurred. He put his consciousness into a host to see if there was any way the real life events could have played out differently but despite running loads of simulations they never do. I think there is some poetic justice in that after he had toyed with Delos' consciousness for all those years and the idea that people are willing to torture even their own consciousness if it means making their life a little easier to live (something explored in Black Mirror White Christmas) is a very believable one not just confined to evil characters like the man in black.

I will watch the next series, I am interested to see how the series will progress outside the park.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”