To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Top gear (Chris Evans presenter of new BBC 2 version)

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Re: Top gear (Chris Evans presenter of new BBC 2 version)

Post by bluenosey »

Zimmerman wrote:Watched my first Top Gear in years.

I assume if you liked the old show, you'll like this.bit was pretty much a clone of the 'old' show from how I remember it. Obviously a dislike of Evans might spoil your viewing.

Le Blanc seemed ok.
Forgot it was on but R5 dedicating their 9am phone in to it. Doesn't seen to have been an instant hit with the viewing public...

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Re: RE: Re: Top gear (Chris Evans presenter of new BBC 2 version)

Post by liquidfootball2 »

bluenosey wrote:
Zimmerman wrote:Watched my first Top Gear in years.

I assume if you liked the old show, you'll like this.bit was pretty much a clone of the 'old' show from how I remember it. Obviously a dislike of Evans might spoil your viewing.

Le Blanc seemed ok.
Forgot it was on but R5 dedicating their 9am phone in to it. Doesn't seen to have been an instant hit with the viewing public...
Read a few reviews and said Evans trying too hard to be Clarkson and not surprisingly failing

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Yes, have seen on social media that it didn't go down well.

Can only assume it's because people generally 'don't like change'.

It was no worse than any other episode of Top Gear I've ever watched.

If anything, there was less of the cheesy and over scripted gags. Also (I feel) benefitted from not having the baldrick character to milk more scripted jokes from/at his expense.

The road trip and test drives had the usual predictable 'twist/surprise'.

It was business as usual from what I can tell (unless the format or quality has radically changed or improved in my viewing absence.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Just watched some of ep2 and enjoyed it enough. Kind of ruins it when they make it obvious how contrived it is. During the final race up the mountain they had the same woman operating the boards at the start and finish. Either that or she can run faster than they can drive....

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Saw 1st episode and I think it was Ok.
Format, even camera shots, are almost unchanged. Chemistry between the presenters isn't there yet and the banter was very forced but they will get there.
Evans just needs to stop shouting all the time.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Oh dear post-Clarkson, their brave new world seems to be going badly.

Matt LeBlanc is allegedly planning to quit Top Gear if his co-host Chris Evans is not removed from the team first, sources have claimed.

The American presenter, 48, is said to be concerned about Evans’s rudeness towards other members of the team, with some suggesting he also is frustrating to film with.

Matt’s indicated he won’t continue on any further series if Chris Evans remains.

It allegedly comes just months ahead of the start of filming for the second series, which is due to begin in September.

The rumours also emerged as the show’s bosses face a rapidly declining audience, with just 2.34 million people tuning into last week’s episode. The lowest audience posted by the show's former team, led by Jeremy Clarkson, was 2.36 million in June 2003.

A source told the Sun on Sunday: “The team does not gel and the atmosphere between the presenters is frosty.”

They added: “Matt’s indicated he won’t continue on any further series if Chris remains. He is far from the only one who is not happy.”

The BBC told The Telegraph it would not be commenting on the claims. A spokesman for LeBlanc denied the claims and said there had been "no discussions". 

It is not the first time rumours have circulated about the duo’s relationship. The show, which launched again at the end of May following the removal of Clarkson and his team over a "fracas" with a producer, has been hit with a series of allegations.

At the end of last year, Lisa Clark, its executive producer, quit amid claims about Evans’s tyrannical manner, with one source at the time alleging the presenter thought he could “trample over everyone”. The BBC vehemently denied any bullying claims.

The show's team was also accused of disrespecting those who fought in the First World War after LeBlanc was pictured performing “doughnuts” around the Cenotaph in London.

Evans and LeBlanc were later reported to have fallen out over the stunt. Evans denied the row on Twitter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... n=DM132802

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

They say Clarkson is a marmite character; you love him or hate him. Personally I dont get it - I love him and anyone who doesn't is wrong. I mention only because it should set my views of the 'new' Top Gear in context.

The BBC were NEVER going to stray too much from the winning formula. Hence we keep "THIS WEEK" I eat a scone etc, Star in a car, Stig, laptime cars SOME SAY he eats toilet rolls etc. I doubt Evans has had a lot of licence to make too many changes - this is not his fault. I do think he is one of a few with a capability to rival Clarksons hi-jinks, but only when the reigns are loosened.

One of the things I miss of old Top Gear oddly - is the news. The first few episodes were not car based enough. The addition of the two new chaps (I cant remember their names) is good, because they seem to have a clue about how to review a car. Sabine is getting a greater role too which is good because the relationship between Evans and LeBlanc is like chalk & cheese. Perhaps they don't get on - perhaps it needs time but it certainly isn't Clarkson & May.

Evans DOES have some good ideas - the rallycross introduction on the lap, even the 'naughty' lap board is so common sense it seems odd Clarkson never thought of it.

CLARKSON Top Gear it isnt (And I cant wait for The Grand Tour for that) but Top Gear is still a decent watch. I think the beeb need to loosen the reigns on Evans though - he does have the potential to make the show his own. Whether that additional freedom increases the reports of so called tyranny however remains to be seen.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

If they'd changed the format AND the presenters.. it would have been viewed as a complete flop as people don't like change (and the loyal fans of this show are pretty passionate about 'their' show).

At least this way, people can get used to the new guys whilst still snuggled in to the comfort blanket of familiar format.

This way was always going to result in 'he's not clarkson', the others wouldn't have done it like that, the banter just isn't the same etc etc.

But once people are over the 'shock' of it no longer being Clarkson and co. they can get on with just enjoying another motor show.

They might moan, but if the alternative is Heartbeat or Antiques Road Show surely they'll still watch?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Zimmerman wrote:They might moan, but if the alternative is Heartbeat or Antiques Road Show surely they'll still watch?
In these days of on demand viewing that's surely less relevant now (Heartbeat finished years ago anyway didn't it?)

It's going to be down to BBC finances, if they're still selling rights abroad and Stig novelty Christmas gifts then it will get recommissioned, if that revenue drops off dramatically then it will be axed or substantially changed. So headline UK viewing figures and the media reaction aren't necessarily going to be the deciding factor.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Chris Evans resigns from Top Gear

BBC :- (Mark Lindsay - director of the BBC studios on top gear :- rather laughably put out a load stats saying what a success the show was and how it's notched up so many viewers and been sold to so many countries etc..)

Yes Mark that's why he's left

Maldini
Dumbledore

Top gear (Chris Evans presenter of new BBC 2 version)

Post by Maldini »

Might also have something to do with his impending questioning regarding historical sexual assault.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Maldini wrote:Might also have something to do with his impending questioning regarding historical sexual assault.
Although no sign of him stepping down from his much more successful radio show yet...

The media have always been out to get him on Top Gear in particular... he probably feels he doesn't need the hassle whether or not these allegations go any further. Will be interesting to see what they do now - add a new "frontman" to the current line-up, get rid of them all and start afresh again, go begging to Clarkson and co. to return, or put it on hiatus for the foreseeable future.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Only a couple of hours late. ;)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Bit odd that this time Ginger was the last Spice Girl to quit after Posh (Cameron), Sporty (Hodgson), Baby (Boris) and Scary (Farage).

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Have finished watching the series on catch up and to be fair, it wasn't bad.

Still some great footage, beautiful scenery and clever editing, only which TG can produce.

Le Blanc is laid back and cool, Rory Reid is a really good find and Chris Harris is perfectly acceptable. I don't find him dull at all. He's got his own style. We need to see more of Sabine Schmitz. It could be her, Matt and Rory as the three presenters, perhaps with Chris testing the cars. Eddie Jordan had a couple of cameo/comic roles. I also like the guy, although like Harris, social media doesn't seem too keen.

The bad bits :-

It's trying to be too much like old TG. Time to let the Stig go, he's served his purpose (although it did give Le Blanc some great intro lines). The star in a reasonably priced car was always the worse bit of old TG. No Jay Kay, thank god, but two stars in a rally cross car ? Taking up about 15 minutes ? Boring as hell and fast forwarded by me. This should go.

And finally, Chris Evans. It didn't work. He's got the ego so perhaps he thought it could ? Alas, too shouty and excitable, even though a car fan. Tried to turn it into TGTGIF. I wonder who the Beeb could get ? Those Fifth Gear folks, Vicky HB, Tiff or Jason Plato ? Do the Beeb really need a star name ?

I suppose we'll be left in limbo until another "re-boot"

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

bluenosey wrote:Have finished watching the series on catch up and to be fair, it wasn't bad.

Still some great footage, beautiful scenery and clever editing, only which TG can produce.

Le Blanc is laid back and cool, Rory Reid is a really good find and Chris Harris is perfectly acceptable. I don't find him dull at all. He's got his own style. We need to see more of Sabine Schmitz. It could be her, Matt and Rory as the three presenters, perhaps with Chris testing the cars. Eddie Jordan had a couple of cameo/comic roles. I also like the guy, although like Harris, social media doesn't seem too keen.

The bad bits :-

It's trying to be too much like old TG. Time to let the Stig go, he's served his purpose (although it did give Le Blanc some great intro lines). The star in a reasonably priced car was always the worse bit of old TG. No Jay Kay, thank god, but two stars in a rally cross car ? Taking up about 15 minutes ? Boring as hell and fast forwarded by me. This should go.

And finally, Chris Evans. It didn't work. He's got the ego so perhaps he thought it could ? Alas, too shouty and excitable, even though a car fan. Tried to turn it into TGTGIF. I wonder who the Beeb could get ? Those Fifth Gear folks, Vicky HB, Tiff or Jason Plato ? Do the Beeb really need a star name ?

I suppose we'll be left in limbo until another "re-boot"
I only watched bits of the series but I personally didn't like Le Blanc (I usually like him but not on TG - just didn't do it for me) and I like Star in a Reasonably Placed Car - which was improved by the rallycross tweak.

As for Evans, I like him but he doesn't really fit again, makes it seem like it was trying to be TFI which the old (Clarkson era) series was too much like anyway.

Think it can keep going but they need to establish some chemistry and maybe get it more car-orientated with some genuinely useful stuff for the viewer/driver which it hasn't had since Clarkson and co first took over. Backwards to go forwards??

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

They should do what they should have done a year ago - either give it a rest for a few years then bring it back for a new generation, or sell the brand and format to Amazon and/or Clarkson and his production company and let them present their new show as Top Gear.

A rushed relaunch with a high profile frontman who was always an awkward fit despite the fact he's a genuine car fanatic, just to get in ahead of the former presenters' rival show, was a mistake that could be seen coming a mile off.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

forestfan wrote:They should do what they should have done a year ago - either give it a rest for a few years then bring it back for a new generation, or sell the brand and format to Amazon and/or Clarkson and his production company and let them present their new show as Top Gear.

A rushed relaunch with a high profile frontman who was always an awkward fit despite the fact he's a genuine car fanatic, just to get in ahead of the former presenters' rival show, was a mistake that could be seen coming a mile off.
Agree Chris Evans a disaster waiting to happen, he's one of those presenters who really does split opinion and possibly meant a large proportion of TG followers were bound to be alienated from the off.

TG is such a big brand and revenue stream for the BBC that killing it off, or a even a long break, was never really an option, although with hindsight perhaps the latter maybe should have been.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

liquidfootball2 wrote:
forestfan wrote:They should do what they should have done a year ago - either give it a rest for a few years then bring it back for a new generation, or sell the brand and format to Amazon and/or Clarkson and his production company and let them present their new show as Top Gear.

Agree Chris Evans a disaster waiting to happen, he's one of those presenters who really does split opinion and possibly meant a large proportion of TG followers were bound to be alienated from the off.

TG is such a big brand and revenue stream for the BBC that killing it off, or a even a long break, was never really an option, although with hindsight perhaps the latter maybe should have been.
Even with Evans at the helm it's still making Aunty a lot of money.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

This series has been quality. Without the shouty egotastic Evans, Le Blanc has slotted in smoothly as anchor man and Chris Harris is a natural presenter. Enthusiasm to match his nerdiness but a nice counterfoil for MLB. Rory is also starting to find his feet after a nervy start and with the occasional appearance from Mrs Schmidt, I think the show is in a good place. Some really good features this year. My only gripe is a bit too much time is given to the weekly guest star.

On the other hand, The Grand Tour started off well but soon ended up with same, staged shennanigans. Their guest start meeting a grizzly end also proved tiresome. The interaction with the audience was good, as was "conversation street" but TGT started to look a bit stale by the end. Don't reckon Clarkson and co will get such a big budget next time.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Joey on his way now... the turnover rate is gettng up there with Leeds managers!

Will they go for another celebrity front (wo)man to appease the American market, or stick with their home grown talent?

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 18:46 Joey on his way now... the turnover rate is gettng up there with Leeds managers!

Will they go for another celebrity front (wo)man to appease the American market, or stick with their home grown talent?
A woman would be good, but not just for the sake of it. I love Sabine Schmidt, she's totally nuts, so hope she pops up from time to time.

Mark Webber would be a great addition IMO.

MLB has been great. He probably feels he's done as much as he can and doesn't want to get typecasted. Plus he probably misses home a bit.

Unless you end up with a really unsuitable presenter (Evans) there's no reason why the programme shouldn't run and run. Still highly watched (for BBC2) and still popular around the world. As I said above, last season was great.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”