To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Great TV Series

A forum for discussion on Movies, Radio and Television programme topics whatever your viewing and listening pleasure.
happyhoppy
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF 2010/2011 3rd and 2021/2022 4th=

Re: Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

Clarksons Farm is great fun.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Following on from the other thread “don’t miss the return of” Blah was after a series to watch on Netflix.

We’re very much enjoying a series called startup which first aired in 2016 according to IMDb but only came to Netflix in May 2021. It’s fast paced and a great watch imo. Features Martin Freeman from Fargo who plays a polar opposite role in this. It’s got a Gomorrah feel to it, crime thriller espionage. Currently through 6 episodes watching 2 a night. Only 2 seasons on Netflix but [insert google pause] all 3 seasons are on Amazon prime.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Shame I can't abide Freeman 🤣

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

There are other actors ….

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:Shame I can't abide Freeman Image
He does always seem to play Martin Freeman and you don't believe in the character because of it.

Even as a hobbit he was still the bloke from The Office.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 11:10
He does always seem to play Martin Freeman and you don't believe in the character because of it.

Yep

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

I get what you mean he does have some mannerisms that can’t be hidden ….

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

And that mobile phone ad 😤😤😤😤😤

Moon Knight
Grumpy Old Man

Great TV Series

Post by Moon Knight »

murf wrote:

Although you’re definitely right, I think this can be levelled at the majority of actors

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Renton wrote: 22 Jul 2021, 12:01
murf wrote:

Although you’re definitely right, I think this can be levelled at the majority of actors
Obviously except for Sean Connery, the master of accents and disguise

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Bob Odenkirk taken to hospital after collapsing on Better Call Saul set. No further updates at present :(

KayBur
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: 2

Post by KayBur »

Bad news. It's too bad that there is no news. Still, it is very important for a person to recover quickly.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Still no news, doesn’t seem a good sign.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

This is very worrying

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Sounds like Bob’s doing OK 8-)

They just need to look after him, and the rest of them (Jonathan Banks aka Mike is pushing 80), filming in a New Mexico heatwave probably wasn’t a good idea. We can wait a bit longer for the final series… just make sure we do get to see the end of the story of Jimmy/Saul/Gene eventually!

All the support that has come out for him shows how popular and well liked he is, I wasn’t really aware of his other work before.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Great news! Although another delay isn’t.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, though beats never getting it at all and Vince Gilligan having to find a way to let the show’s fans know how he intended to finish it.

I did “Mike” a disservice there, he’s only 74, thought he was late 70s… point still stands though! Apparently they’ve stretched it to 13 episodes, so obviously want to avoid rushing it. Landing an ending to a show successfully is tough at the best of times, but one that effectively acts as the link between two TV masterpieces? Probably unique at this point in time.

tenpinterry
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: FPL 214th (15/16), 734rd (13/14), 650th (08/09), 507th (07/08) & 132nd (06/07)
Mail - 47th (11/12)
Telegraph - 98th (14/15)

Post by tenpinterry »

Just finished watching "The Mare of Easttown". Brilliant. Best series (IMO) I've watched since Chernobyl :) :)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

tenpinterry wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 11:46 Just finished watching "The Mare of Easttown". Brilliant. Best series (IMO) I've watched since Chernobyl :) :)
Yeah, I thought this was really good. One of those I wasn’t sure about after one episode but really got into, dark and tense and great performance from Kate Winslet as the lead character.

Johnners
Grumpy Old Spur
FS Record: Hit and miss

Post by Johnners »

forestfan wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 09:11 Sounds like Bob’s doing OK 8-)

They just need to look after him, and the rest of them (Jonathan Banks aka Mike is pushing 80), filming in a New Mexico heatwave probably wasn’t a good idea. We can wait a bit longer for the final series… just make sure we do get to see the end of the story of Jimmy/Saul/Gene eventually!

All the support that has come out for him shows how popular and well liked he is, I wasn’t really aware of his other work before.
Must have refreshed the news pages dozens of times yesterday hoping for a positive update, so really glad he seems to be OK. As you said, it was nice to see from everyone's comments how highly he's regarded.

Ever since reading Hoppy's recommendation last year, my son and I have been pacing ourselves through the first fifty episodes to minimise the wait between seasons five and six. Was already becoming increasingly difficult to resist the temptation to binge watch, as we're near the end of season three and it's getting better and better, but looks like we'll have to ration ourselves even more now!

A small price to pay for his recovery though. Get well soon, Slippin' Jimmy.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, rare to see something on Twitter where all sentiment towards someone is positive… apart from a few idiots blaming it on a vaccine he had three months ago.

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Post by happyhoppy »

Johnners wrote:

Must have refreshed the news pages dozens of times yesterday hoping for a positive update, so really glad he seems to be OK. As you said, it was nice to see from everyone's comments how highly he's regarded.

Ever since reading Hoppy's recommendation last year, my son and I have been pacing ourselves through the first fifty episodes to minimise the wait between seasons five and six. Was already becoming increasingly difficult to resist the temptation to binge watch, as we're near the end of season three and it's getting better and better, but looks like we'll have to ration ourselves even more now!

S4 and S5 are fantastic. How are you rationing yourself!

Johnners
Grumpy Old Spur
FS Record: Hit and miss

Post by Johnners »

happyhoppy wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 19:43
Johnners wrote:

S4 and S5 are fantastic. How are you rationing yourself!
With great difficulty!

Guessed that S4 and S5 must be even better from the IMDB ratings, not to mention your previous reviews. Been restricting ourselves to an episode a fortnight roughly, but the better they get, the more I doubt we can hold off bingeing the rest.

Still trying to convince myself to stick to the plan so we have some great TV to look forward to, but after this week's news, I think my son's willpower might have reached its limit and he's close to cracking!

happyhoppy
FISO Knight

Great TV Series

Post by happyhoppy »

I think leaving it once a fortnight is too much personally as you lose the flow and forget too much in between but if it works for you….

By the way I started listening to the podcast from S4 and I can’t recommend that highly enough as it features those behind it all including main characters and the producer/writers. It’s really fascinating understanding how each episode was put together. And you learn loads of stuff that you don’t always catch. The Reddit is also good.

In other news we finished S2 of startup much less of Agent Rask (Martin Freeman) …. Still a good watch but a dip from S1. S3 to go.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Enjoying Vigil so far, though (spoiler alert) was very surprised they killed off Steve Arnott after 10 minutes… think he will have a fair bit to say from beyond the grave by the looks of it though!

Lots of other familiar faces in the cast, for GoT fans there’s Ygritte, Podrick and Stannis… also Johnson from Peep Show and Steve McDonald’s ex-wife from Coronation Street. Only real surprise is that Stephen Graham isn’t in it, as he’s in just about everything else…

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 14:12 Enjoying Vigil so far, though (spoiler alert) was very surprised they killed off Steve Arnott after 10 minutes… think he will have a fair bit to say from beyond the grave by the looks of it though!

Lots of other familiar faces in the cast, for GoT fans there’s Ygritte, Podrick and Stannis… also Johnson from Peep Show and Steve McDonald’s ex-wife from Coronation Street. Only real surprise is that Stephen Graham isn’t in it, as he’s in just about everything else…
Enjoying it too.

Stephen Graham is, of course, back in Code 404!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 14:31
forestfan wrote: 02 Sep 2021, 14:12 Enjoying Vigil so far, though (spoiler alert) was very surprised they killed off Steve Arnott after 10 minutes… think he will have a fair bit to say from beyond the grave by the looks of it though!

Enjoying it too.

Stephen Graham is, of course, back in Code 404!
He’s got another one coming up on BBC I think, as well… based on a historic Arctic voyage or something.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I player has a 9 11 docuthing on.

It's my 2nd attempt to watch as I sense a huge cover up ...

bluelionman
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won a week in TFC once many years ago. Came 3rd over all once in First Downs fantasy NFL newspaper magazine game.

Post by bluelionman »

I'm really enjoying Vigil but hate BBC has not put the lot on iPlayer after episode 1 for those like me that's to impatient to wait weekly for the last 4 parts.

Speaking of iPlayer I really liked Snowfall that's fully on the iPlayer - all 4 series if anyones interested:

Synopsis: The series follows the stories of several characters whose lives are fated to intersect: 20-year-old drug dealer Franklin Saint, Mexican luchador Gustavo "El Oso" Zapata, CIA operative Teddy McDonald, and a Mexican crime boss's niece, Lucia Villanueva. ... On March 23, 2021, FX renewed the series for a fifth season (can't wait).

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

While I like binging series, either new ones or things I just haven’t got around to watching before, I still enjoy the occasional “appointment TV” weekly slot that you can build the anticipation for. BBC seem to own that one with the 9pm Sunday “Line of Duty slot” where the flagship series tend to land these days.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Movies, TV & Radio”