To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Proposed FPL Draft money league for 2018/19

FPL Draft format starting in 2017/18
taivt
FISOhead
FS Record: 2 times Fiso H2H Premier League Winner in 2020-2021 and 2021-2022

Re: Proposed FPL Draft money league for 2018/19

Post by taivt »

I thinks league of 8 is a better option. Should we create a poll on the league size?

The draft time I suggest is about 12-16 PM (GMT) at Saturday or Sunday, 2 weeks before GW1 (if you could watch Premier League on this hour range, so you could attend to the draft room).

taivt
FISOhead

Post by taivt »

How about this suggestion?

There will be 2 seasons:
* Season 1: From GW1-GW19
- League size is 8.
- All league format is H2H.
- Each FISO member has 2 teams (must be in seperated leagues).
- Each winner of a league get a prize.
- 2 members with most combined FPL points get prizes.

* Season 2: From GW20-GW38
- Draft again. If GW19 and 20 too close then Season 2 will start from GW21.
- League size is 8.
- Each FISO member has 2 teams play in 2 leagues: one in normal H2H leagues, one in Divisional Leagues
- Normal H2H leagues: another chance for all team to start equally again. Each league winner get a prize.
- Divisonal Leagues: based on total combined FPL points to fill leagues (season 1 league winners will be in top Divisional League by default). Prizes are diffrent in each division.
- No prize for combined FPL points.

If total members is more than 8-16-24-32...: last paid members out of 8-16-24-32 will have a team play in their own H2H League from GW1-GW38.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Tacalabala wrote: You've hit the nail on the head. I anticipate that 4 team leagues would be more competitive for the duration of the season, because it would be difficult to be cut adrift and at the same time for the leaders to lock in the top performers.

I think the reverse is true.

In our 10-team league there are currently 28 points between 1st and 5th and the team that is leading was last not so long ago.

The only attraction of draft for me is that it forces a wider pool of players to be used. I think a lot of the problem is that some managers are uncomfortable with non-template picks. But if draft just replicates FPL in that respect, what is the point of it?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 21:39
Tacalabala wrote: You've hit the nail on the head. I anticipate that 4 team leagues would be more competitive for the duration of the season, because it would be difficult to be cut adrift and at the same time for the leaders to lock in the top performers.

I think the reverse is true.

In our 10-team league there are currently 28 points between 1st and 5th and the team that is leading was last not so long ago.

The only attraction of draft for me is that it forces a wider pool of players to be used. I think a lot of the problem is that some managers are uncomfortable with non-template picks. But if draft just replicates FPL in that respect, what is the point of it?
Conversely, do you think a 16 team league (the biggest allowed) would be viable?

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Not really. 20 PL teams x 10 = 200 1st team players if we exclude the GKs. 16 draft teams x 13 slots = 208. So there aren't enough players. Really there have to be some viable unused players in order to create flexibility so I'd say that 12 teams would be the absolute maximum for a DL.

Maybe the best way is to look at forwards, because that's where the biggest shortage is. Every PL team plays with at least 1 so that's 20. In a 10-team league, everyone can have 2 starting strikers. They may choose not to - they may prioritise midfielders in the initial draft - but that's then their choice. That seems a reasonable balance to me.

With a 10-team league you seldom see 3-4-3. You see a lot of 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 though. You have to be a bit inventive. That's good I think. But there aren't so few players left in the pool that it's impossible to change anything much.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Just an idea, would be pretty much a ghost train league. Perhaps we should do it next season for shits and giggles 🤪

It's true what you are saying, I've reflected on it this evening (first time I've had quality FPL time this week) and I can see now that I play Draft as if it's FPL, and that's a mistake particularly in the Draft. It's not controversial to say that if you had anything worse than 3rd pick in the Draft that you were better of forgetting the strikers and loading up on mids from pick 1. My feeling though is that I would get more enjoyment if there was that bit more freedom in the waiver pool, I'm not saying it would have helped me this time as I made a right pig's ear of both money teams but I would have felt I could have done something that might have had more immediate results.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

You have to give chasers a chance to catch up though (or at least encourage them to keep playing), because if they lose interest and stop making transfers then the player pool becomes ever more stale. I still think 8 teams is probably the sweet spot as it gives a decent balance between squad depth, strategy, and decent punts when chasing.

However, if you get unlucky with players getting injured or leaving during the transfer windows then your season in the overall comp is done by January no matter what you do.

What do you think about a sort of "Check-a-trade Trophy" competition for the bottom half teams after the Jan window closes? Two leg matches maybe, played over non blank weeks?

I've enjoyed your draft leagues this year Taca, but at the moment it looks like all 5 prizes will go to the top 5 in some configuration. Not saying that's a bad thing, but the shields are just rewarding the players already competing at the top so maybe some of that fund could be distributed to the lower league cup and maybe one other competition?

If all the leagues were head to head, there could still be a shield for that as there's a different type of strategy involved in playing head to head matches. No matter how badly your draft went, you could analyse and strategically take on H2H matchups.

The points shield, however, does seem very closely tied to the overall top two prizes though and I'd be happy to see, I don't know, maybe £50 of that sent out to the lower league cup competition.

So prizes for:
1st place overall
2nd place overall
H2H champion
FA Cup winner
Lower league trophy winner.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

I'm going to give people another week to respond to the survey then analyse that and what has been said here and come to a decision. The feedback has been invaluable, thank you all

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Cool it will be interesting to see the results. One thing you mentioned was a prize for the league overall, I don't think I like that much unless you can pick your team mates.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Survey closed, here are the results - the comments are largely reflective of what has been said here.
chart.png
chart (1).png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

Tacalabala wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 12:31 Survey closed, here are the results - the comments are largely reflective of what has been said here.

chart.png
chart (1).png
How many people responded?

Could we do a poll to how many people the ones that show intrest are preferring as the limit? This would decide whether I play again or not. I don't mind the entry fee or anything .

We should only keep it to people who are intrested though..people who have no intrest in joining shouldn't be having a say with all due respect . Don't mean that offensively

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

It was 18 DAREEL, not a huge sample but enough to work with. I'm just re-reading what has been said here and will post what I hope to be a final version this afternoon.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Revised Proposal

Post by Tacalabala »

This is the revised proposal, and I hope the final version.

- All entrants will enter two teams into the competition. The combined score of both teams will constitute the entrant's overall combined points score.
- Entrants will enter their two teams into two different six team leagues on FPL Draft, or as we will call them 'divisions'.
- Entrants that are approved by the competition administrator will create six team divisions on FPL Draft. All divisions will start on Gameweek 1. The format (classic or head-to-head) and draft times will be at the discretion of the division creator in cooperation with the other league members.
- No two leagues may have the same six members (a maximum of five may be the same).
- There will be cash prizes for at least the following:
# 1st place overall entrant (combined score of both teams for each entrant) prize of £175 based on 24 entrants.
# Highest combined scoring division (prize to be divided equally between the league members) prize of £425 based on 24 entrants.
- A cup competition will be held if we can recruit at least 30 entrants.
- The entry fee will be £25.00, payable to the competition administrator
- At least 24 entrants must play, otherwise the competition will be cancelled and all entry fees refunded.
- For an additional £5.00, entrants can play in an bonus 16 team classic league with a third team, provisional start date of Gameweek 13 (to allow extra time for recruitment and entrants to gain knowledge of players in-season). 16 entrants must pay, otherwise fees already paid will be refunded. Winner takes the total pot of £80.
- The competition administration will also offer the facility to act as treasurer for intra and inter cash prizes that division administrators may like to run in parallel to the main competition.

Unless there are any serious objections, I will probably start taking entry fees in March.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

If I'm honest, the team prize doesn't do it for me, but I'll still pay and play if the majority want the team format. I think if we go for a large team prize then it's right that the draft pool is larger (and players in each league are smaller in number) to provide more variation across leagues.

Thanks as always to Taca for organising the whole thing :D

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

My thinking is that towards the second half of the season you might have divisions working together to make sure they are getting the right players in across the six XIs. You would likely have tough decisions being made by the top prize contenders as well, possibly with a bit of horsetrading going on??

taivt
FISOhead

Post by taivt »

So there is no prizes for each league winner?
In my opinion, the team format do not competitive, because FPL is game of indivisual players, not team players.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of FISO McDonald's Euro 2016 official . league. FPL player since the game began. Successful cash mini league player that usually ends up in profit

Post by DAREEL »

taivt wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 12:56 So there is no prizes for each league winner?
In my opinion, the team format do not competitive, because FPL is game of indivisual players, not team players.
Problem is most players give up or forget. If they do then it's unfair on the rest of the players in the league. Would it work to give winnings to the winner of each head to head league if every one will be in at least one head to head?

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

But you could finish bottom of a league and still win £70, because your division was the best across the competition. People said that they felt they had nothing to play for if they were still struggling half way through because all the decent players were gone, this way you should still be interested until quite late on in the season. This isn't normal FPL after all, so this is all about trying new things that we couldn't do in normal FPL.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

DAREEL wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 12:59 Would it work to give winnings to the winner of each head to head league if every one will be in at least one head to head?
The prizes would probably be too small to make it worthwhile, there is only so much prize money to go around.

The bonus £5 16 team league is a way of trying to open it up a little bit as well :)

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DAREEL »

Tacalabala wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:02
But you could finish bottom of a league and still win £70, because your division was the best across the competition. People said that they felt they had nothing to play for if they were still struggling half way through because all the decent players were gone, this way you should still be interested until quite late on in the season. This isn't normal FPL after all, so this is all about trying new things that we couldn't do in normal FPL.

There is this but if your only doing 6 teams ( which I support) then the decent players gone becomes less of a problem. Then looking at it, do people who can't stick a calender entry in their phone to remind them of the deadline or people who just give up deserve to win 70 quid?

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DAREEL »

Tacalabala wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:06
DAREEL wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 12:59 Would it work to give winnings to the winner of each head to head league if every one will be in at least one head to head?
The prizes would probably be too small to make it worthwhile, there is only so much prize money to go around.

The bonus £5 16 team league is a way of trying to open it up a little bit as well :)

Fair enough I thought it may have been flawed somehow as it was somthing im.guessing you would have already looked at :-)

taivt
FISOhead

Post by taivt »

If we want to encourage players not to give up too soon, we should give them chance to start again equally (two season each 19 gw).

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

DAREEL wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:08
Tacalabala wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:02

There is this but if your only doing 6 teams ( which I support) then the decent players gone becomes less of a problem. Then looking at it, do people who can't stick a calender entry in their phone to remind them of the deadline or people who just give up deserve to win 70 quid?
If one of the six in a league goes AWOL, that will surely diminish the division's chances if you have other divisions where the six managers are working together to put out the strongest 66 players each week.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

taivt wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:30 If we want to encourage players not to give up too soon, we should give them chance to start again equally (two season each 19 gw).
It's difficult enough to get people to join and draft and pay once a season, I really don't want to have to go through that again half way through :) Also, that's going to take up four of your available teams for the season, I don't want to restrict people too much if they want to do something else with their FPL-D teams.

And I can't control what the draft orders are, so we could split it off into four drafts a season with two teams in each, but you still might end up with 8 last picks across all the drafts, I can't do anything about that :lol:

taivt
FISOhead

Post by taivt »

If a player quit and it effect his team,it is reasonable.
If 4-5 players are still playing,when 1-2 teams quit and the others can not do anything with it,this is unfair for them. We are just members on this forum,we do not have enough close relationship and effection on other members,that's why i think team format is not as good.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

taivt wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:59 If a player quit and it effect his team,it is reasonable.
If 4-5 players are still playing,when 1-2 teams quit and the others can not do anything with it,this is unfair for them. We are just members on this forum,we do not have enough close relationship and effection on other members,that's why i think team format is not as good.
I had considered this, and I've come to the conclusion that as we are all paying £25 in, we should all be sufficiently motivated to keep playing if we can see a realistic chance of winning money back. As we almost certainly won't know which divisions are likely to challenge for the prize until quite late on, I think that will motivate people to persist. Also, with 6 and not 9 is should be more competitive all round.

Another thing to remember is that I will try to encourage a market among the division administrators to 'sell' their division to entrants.

taivt
FISOhead

Post by taivt »

I played Fiso 5AS once and I do not want to do it anymore because I can not control the situation by myseft.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DAREEL »

Tacalabala wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:39
taivt wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 13:30 If we want to encourage players not to give up too soon, we should give them chance to start again equally (two season each 19 gw).
It's difficult enough to get people to join and draft and pay once a season, I really don't want to have to go through that again half way through :) Also, that's going to take up four of your available teams for the season, I don't want to restrict people too much if they want to do something else with their FPL-D teams.

And I can't control what the draft orders are, so we could split it off into four drafts a season with two teams in each, but you still might end up with 8 last picks across all the drafts, I can't do anything about that :lol:

Ok mate . One annoyance though would be if players were getting reminded to pick their teams every week. Part of the game is planning and I am in a fpl league where the entrants get an email each week reminding them of the deadline..i see it as if players can't plan themselves they don't deserve to win. I'd be annoyed if I lost out on a player because the player below me was reminded to do a transaction they otherwise wouldn't have remembered. It is a competition afterall.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

DAREEL wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 14:20

Ok mate . One annoyance though would be if players were getting reminded to pick their teams every week. Part of the game is planning and I am in a fpl league where the entrants get an email each week reminding them of the deadline..i see it as if players can't plan themselves they don't deserve to win. I'd be annoyed if I lost out on a player because the player below me was reminded to do a transaction they otherwise wouldn't have remembered. It is a competition afterall.
You'd be very unlikely to miss out on 1st prize overall because 3rd place in your own division reminded 2nd place in your own division to make a transfer.

DAREEL
Grumpy Old Man

Post by DAREEL »

Tacalabala wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 14:28
DAREEL wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 14:20

You'd be very unlikely to miss out on 1st prize overall because 3rd place in your own division reminded 2nd place in your own division to make a transfer.
It's my extremely competetive nature haha. Maybe your right. Just somthing that really annoyed me in the FPL league but I guess that is full of casuals and this is more for the savvy players

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Draft”