To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Waiver -> Free Agent

FPL Draft format starting in 2017/18
Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Waiver -> Free Agent

Post by Zimmerman »

Still can't quite digest this... can some explain it to me in single syllables please.

My understanding:

Draft completes before the league starts
All players on the initial player list are free agents ahead of game week 1?

Any new players added to the list are on the waiver list

After the season starts I decide to offload Kane.
He joins the waiver list

Does he stay on the waiver list indefinitely (assuming no one picks him)

Or does he become a free agent after one week on the waiver list?

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Re: Waiver -> Free Agent

Post by mad dog »

Hopefully someone who knows more will answer but my understanding is you drop Kane he's on the free agent list and like once a week you can pick up free agents and it will do it in order of the table bottom to top if more than one person wants to pick him up.

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

yeah sort of right if you drop Kane as a waiver he becomes Locked then after the round is finished all discarded players become available for transfer in on a waiver then if Kane doesnt get taken up on the next 24 hour waiver, he should become a free agent to be bought in after the waiver but before the deadline time for the next round?
Locked - player can't be selected. Reasons for this are a) player has been added to the game within 24 hours of the waiver deadline or when free agency mode is active or b) player has been removed from another squad. Locked players become available for waiver requests at the next deadline.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

That's how I read it.

1) I own Kane after the initial draft.
2) I decide to sell him, either on a waiver or using the free agent pool before GW1 deadline.
3) Kane is locked. Nobody can own Kane for GW1.
4) After the deadline passes, Kane can be requested on a waiver by anyone for selection in GW2.
5) Waivers are processed in priority order, not first come first serve.
6) If nobody requests Kane on a waiver, he's a free agent and can be brought in on a first come first serve basis in the free agent window 24 hours before the GW2 deadline.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

For those that prefer to look at the pictures rather than read the articles.
fpl2.jpg
I think this is agreeing with everything said above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Brilliant!

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Whats the difference between a free agent and a waiver? :oops:

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

It's probably more helpful not to think of players as being either free-agents or waivers. They are all players which are currently not attached to a team. Waivers and free-agency are processes by which these players can be picked up into a team.

In Waivers you can pick up players which have recently been added to the game, players released from teams in the previous GW and all the players who were left unpicked in the previous free-agency period.

In Free-agency you can pick up all the players who were left unpicked in the previous Waiver process.

gallus
Grumpy Old Man

Post by gallus »

Mav3rick wrote:That's how I read it.

1) I own Kane after the initial draft.
2) I decide to sell him, either on a waiver or using the free agent pool before GW1 deadline.
3) Kane is locked. Nobody can own Kane for GW1.
4) After the deadline passes, Kane can be requested on a waiver by anyone for selection in GW2.
5) Waivers are processed in priority order, not first come first serve.
6) If nobody requests Kane on a waiver, he's a free agent and can be brought in on a first come first serve basis in the free agent window 24 hours before the GW2 deadline.
Yes that's correct. A player can only be on the waiver wire for a week at a time. If no one claims him in that week, he becomes a free agent. However, if, say someone does claim Kane in GW2 and immediately drops him, he will be back on the waiver wire in GW3.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

I'm going to ask probably the most stupidest question anyone could ask here.

I thought the Draft game meant you had to pick a new team every gameweek. But if I pick a team for GW1 and do nothing else all season (including the waivers and free agents stuff), I will have that team all season?

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight
Location: On the Iron Throne of xG, the seat of The Crown Prince of the Stat Perverts. Or if not, in the STC!
FS Record: Best: TFF 321st. FPL 129th. FFS Career HoF Peak 2nd (Live 1st). Ability since lost.

Post by Stemania »

Yes.

But you can make as many changes as you want every week through the waiver/FA system. The problem is that making lots of 'good' transfers won't be be possible with most of the good players as other managers will own them - i.e., you may be stuck with the same few big hitters (that you managed to draft initially) for the majority of the season. I think we'll be limited to fringe GK/defensive/mid-table midfielder transfers mostly.

Joccki_10
Grumpy Old Joker
FS Record: 16/17: 55 OR, 1 FISO Forum, 1 NLD and FISO Cup Winner

Post by Joccki_10 »

So there's a big chance you will have some conflict of interests between Draft leagues and 'normal' FPL leagues.

From4corners
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by From4corners »

Joccki_10 wrote:So there's a big chance you will have some conflict of interests between Draft leagues and 'normal' FPL leagues.
Not just a big chance, but definitely it will be the case that you jump out of your chair when e.g. Aguero scores a hattrick for your normal FPL team, but then experience that ambivalent feeling of knowing your main competitor owns him in his draft team (rather than you owning him there).

Not much you can do about your draft pickings, as you are just overly dependent on your "frenemies" for that, so just focus on your 'normal' FPL team is what I'd say.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Yeah I think if you never got a chance to draft Aguero then you just have to let it go. It's not your mistake if you never had the opportunity. Different mindset from FPL where you can make a lot of annoying backfiring transfers and wrong captaincy picks.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

I emailed the fpl to try and clarify exactly which players are available during waivers and got this response:

Q
Please could you clarify whether the players which are available during waivers every week are just new players entering the game and players released by teams, or does it include all of the players in the free agency pool as well?
A
All players that aren't in the team of another manager in your league at that point, will be available for waivers/the free agency period.

Which I don't think is strictly true because locked players aren't in a team but wont be available until the following week.
Anyway, it does at least seem to confirm that players in the free-agency pool are subject to the waivers process.

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

so that takes all the urgency out of playing the game, after the round ends you have some time to go in "waivers" put your priorty order in for the players you want then let the computer allocate them according to your rank in the league, its all seems quite fair and you really dont need the free agents unless youre a tinker junkie

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

So to try and answer the OP now:
Zimmerman wrote: 22 Jul 2017, 07:31 Still can't quite digest this... can some explain it to me in single syllables please.

My understanding:

Draft completes before the league starts
All players on the initial player list are free agents ahead of game week 1?
No. They go onto the waiver wire first, then go onto the free-agency pool if still not picked.
Any new players added to the list are on the waiver list
Yes, unless they are added within 48 hours of the GW deadline. Then they are added to the waiver wire for the following week instead.
After the season starts I decide to offload Kane.
He joins the waiver list
Yes, but again if you offload him within 48 hours of the GW deadline he will skip a week as above.
Does he stay on the waiver list indefinitely (assuming no one picks him)

Or does he become a free agent after one week on the waiver list?
If not picked up in waivers he immediately becomes available in free-agency.
If not picked up in free-agency he will be available in waivers the following week.
If not picked up again in waivers he immediately becomes available again in free-agency.
And so on until someone picks him up or the season ends.

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Mav3rick wrote: 23 Jul 2017, 19:28 Yeah I think if you never got a chance to draft Aguero then you just have to let it go. It's not your mistake if you never had the opportunity. Different mindset from FPL where you can make a lot of annoying backfiring transfers and wrong captaincy picks.
Yes, it's really a completely different game although it uses the same scoring. And thus requires a different mindset as Mav3rick says.

I have participated in a couple of practise drafts and you tend to end up with a much "thicker" squad than in FPL. Essentially with 15 players that are all very usable. Twice I have had 5 midfielders, all of which I'd be happy with in FPL. But in the FPL game you'd have trouble affording a midfield like that.

The biggest challenge I can see in draft will be to select 11 from 15 every week and to do it well. Even choosing between GKs will be a task some are unused to as you will almost certainly have 2 starting GKs.

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

wahine wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 18:50 so that takes all the urgency out of playing the game, after the round ends you have some time to go in "waivers" put your priorty order in for the players you want then let the computer allocate them according to your rank in the league, its all seems quite fair and you really dont need the free agents unless youre a tinker junkie
It's certainly fairer for those that are working Friday afternoons when most of the free-agency windows will open.
... And for those in different time zones who would otherwise have to get up in the middle of the night to fight for a free-agent.

ROCKFISHDG
FISOhead
FS Record: FPL Results (06/07~9,044) (07/08~68,533) (08/09~14,557) (09/10~8,120) (10/11~9,875) (11/12~17,404) (12/13~41,149) (13/14~342,190)(14/15~223,908) (15/16~435,446) (16/17~105,445) (17/18~2266~34,029) (18/19~367,582) (19/20~64,137)

Post by ROCKFISHDG »

Beerfuelledman wrote: 22 Jul 2017, 15:17 Whats the difference between a free agent and a waiver? :oops:
It definitely helps being an American when it comes to understanding the difference between a free-agent and a waiver! 8-)

Now if only I can figure out how to join a public league that drafts some time other than the middle of the night! :mrgreen:

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Talkie Toaster wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 19:15
wahine wrote: 24 Jul 2017, 18:50 so that takes all the urgency out of playing the game, after the round ends you have some time to go in "waivers" put your priorty order in for the players you want then let the computer allocate them according to your rank in the league, its all seems quite fair and you really dont need the free agents unless youre a tinker junkie
It's certainly fairer for those that are working Friday afternoons when most of the free-agency windows will open.
... And for those in different time zones who would otherwise have to get up in the middle of the night to fight for a free-agent.
Yes this occurred to as a bit of a loophole... in other news I'm changing jobs to work nights at Macky Ds :lol:

Seriously though I can see me taking toilet breaks at the right time on a Friday morning.

Matty B
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Matty B »

can you waiver request the same player out multiple times for different players in on the off chance someone else picks your first choice replacement?

i.e. can you put in a request for

Kane -- Gayle
Kane -- Bony
Kane -- Hernandez

and if someone else picks gayle on a waiver with a higher priority than you you get bony and so on ???

so if say you want to replace a defender you may make 8 potential transfers to ensure getting a replacement you want without waiting for the free transfers?

MoSe
Dumbledore
FS Record: FISODAS CUP Winner Season 25
FISO H2H Winner: 15/16 Div2 - 16/17 Div1
FISO Mirror: 16/17 PL Winner

Post by MoSe »

I had been wondering the same, and hoping it works as MattyB described :)

If any of the Test Draft leagues is still up (i.e. not been deleted yet),
waiver wire should be open immediately after the draft, isn't it?

So one of the players in there should be able to insert waiver requests already.
And confirm us that after inserting e.g. Kane ►Gayle, the system allows you to insert Kane ►Bony too,
i.e. without blocking the selection of Kane as the player to be replaced in your 2nd request

Ardrageen
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Retired from FPL. Used to be ok at it. 120th FPL. 1st FFS HOF.

Post by Ardrageen »

Yes its possible to waiver request out the same player a number of times. I just tried it.

Stemania
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Stemania »

It's even possible to request the exactly the same waiver multiple times, despite being redundant. :lol:

Matty B
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Matty B »

another question ... is there a limit on the number of transfers someone can do in a week either by waiver or f/t ?

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Matty B wrote: 03 Aug 2017, 13:54 another question ... is there a limit on the number of transfers someone can do in a week either by waiver or f/t ?

No, there is no limit to the number of transfers per week and there aren't any -4 points penalties either.

Matty B
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Matty B »

so has anyone had a think about how many potential waivers you may want to put in if 3 or 4 poor teams have a decent double game week and you and everyone else in your draft league wants to try to load up on their players???

so say watford and brighton have 2 decent home games each and you want to try to bring in 5 defenders and a keeper plus a mid and striker but suspect everyone else may be doing the same and none of their players have been picked up so far.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

It would be largely governed by how many players you had to sell I guess and your position in the league. You may not want to lose one of your strikers if you then could not get them back for instance.

Vsz
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Won lots of cash leagues and was once, very briefly, top of TFF. Finished 15th too. Various top 5K and 10K FPL finishes

Post by Vsz »

Help!

I missed my league's draft as was on holiday (duh!) and didn't even set up a wish list.

I have a team of crocked players. Can I grab some players others haven't picked Friday afternoon this week?!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FPL Draft”