2019 Fantasy World Snooker - Now running

A forum for fans of Fantasy Snooker
bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Re: 2019 Fantasy World Snooker - Now running

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 05 May 2019, 23:03
blahblah wrote: 05 May 2019, 19:40 Tbh this has been poor quality wise with only the newbies and losing Semi bods showing anything.
All-time record number of centuries, yes, definitely poor quality... :lol:

Maybe there are more mistakes, but that’s probably players being more aggressive, or being made to pay a bigger price when they do mess up. The depth of talent keeps increasing, hence the shock results and wide field of potential champions these days.
Yeah Blah, FF has a very good point which I was going to make :)

Yesterdays snooker was awesome. The first session was high quality from both players and then Trump went into another world :shock:

Trump played one long red red and screwed back to baulk. It was phenomenal. Only three other players could have pulled that off - Alex Higgins, Jimmy White and Ronnie O'Sullivan. There was even a touch of Higgins (Alex) with the way he threw his body into it. He then pulled off a similar type shot on his way to a show stopping 135. I was off my seat. That had people spell bound. You could see the audience gaping and then going crazy at the end. It was brilliant and no coaching manual or DVD can teach you that. Sheer natural talent. Then Trump started to combine his natural game with guile and safety and the correct shot choice. It just turned him into a snooker terminator. Higgins did hardly anything wrong. He's made about four centuries and got five frames to show for it !

Let's see how today goes.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Is any current individual as good as Hendry at his peak, or even Ronnie or John Higgins at their peak - perhaps not. But you can get players ranked outside the top 16 competing to make Crucible finals, and racking up centuries for fun, which would never have happened in those days.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I was typing about the whole 2 weeks tbh, and the number of centuries isn't really a measure imho (especially given the increasing variance in how receptive pockets are). The class players have been way below their levels and maybe this is the end of Murphy, Bingham, Selby, Ding and Higgins with ROS still kicking in short format stuff.

Both Finalists have been open about not having been playing well with Trump being very fortunate to beat Un Nooh and then having 1 decent session in the following matches to get to the Final and Higgins has used his matchplay to counter poor (for him) actual play.

But then the last 2, especially the Finals, would take a lot to live up to.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Some of those names are still relatively young, we’ve had plenty of 40-something finalists in recent years (and Trump would be the first winner in his 20s for nearly a decade). I don’t think we can write any of those players off, they will more than likely have their day again. Although nobody seems to have any real consistency these days, maybe that’s just a function of the way the circuit works at the moment.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 06 May 2019, 09:56 Is any current individual as good as Hendry at his peak, or even Ronnie or John Higgins at their peak - perhaps not. But you can get players ranked outside the top 16 competing to make Crucible finals, and racking up centuries for fun, which would never have happened in those days.
I agree to your first sentence that there isnt at the Crucible with ROS being bad and Robinson knackered; but I'll disagree about your order and toss in Williams as well and probably Robinson and hopefully Trump in time. But your second sentence doesn't make it good as a whole as loads make Tons every week but can't Matchplay.....

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:09 I was typing about the whole 2 weeks tbh, and the number of centuries isn't really a measure imho (especially given the increasing variance in how receptive pockets are). The class players have been way below their levels and maybe this is the end of Murphy, Bingham, Selby, Ding and Higgins with ROS still kicking in short format stuff.

Both Finalists have been open about not having been playing well with Trump being very fortunate to beat Un Nooh and then having 1 decent session in the following matches to get to the Final and Higgins has used his matchplay to counter poor (for him) actual play.

In a lot of cases the winner will have possibly a tough opening game to manage. Yes, Trump was fortunate but in games where there can be several sessions, you can emerge from the odd session having played under par. We can look through rose tinted specs but I remember some of the Thorburn, Griffiths, Charlton games which went way into the early hours and turned into a stamina sapping slog fest.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:14 Some of those names are still relatively young, we’ve had plenty of 40-something finalists in recent years (and Trump would be the first winner in his 20s for nearly a decade). I don’t think we can write any of those players off, they will more than likely have their day again. Although nobody seems to have any real consistency these days, maybe that’s just a function of the way the circuit works at the moment.
Selby looks to be struggling, being a bit more mechanical than the rest but those others will be back.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:14 Some of those names are still relatively young, we’ve had plenty of 40-something finalists in recent years (and Trump would be the first winner in his 20s for nearly a decade). I don’t think we can write any of those players off, they will more than likely have their day again. Although nobody seems to have any real consistency these days, maybe that’s just a function of the way the circuit works at the moment.
But it is only ROS, Higgins and Williams (for 12 months after dropping out if top 16 and missing the World's) that made it an over 40's game?

Admittedly they redefined snooker (along with Selby) and the ones after just wanted to be Hendry (ie just pot) or Davis (essentially just the Essex Mafia of Carter, Bingham, King et al).

Some of the new ones are trying to play like the 4 above, which is why there is a missed generation or 2 and it has raken Trump a long time to accept that he needs defence\safety and develop thst Plan B.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 06 May 2019, 09:56 Is any current individual as good as Hendry at his peak, or even Ronnie or John Higgins at their peak - perhaps not. But you can get players ranked outside the top 16 competing to make Crucible finals, and racking up centuries for fun, which would never have happened in those days.
IMO Hendry's dominance in the 90s won't be topped. He was the complete player with an ice cold temperament. Long potting, break building, ability under pressure. He had the lot. He was a machine. Absolutely brilliant. Ronnie, Higgins and Mark Williams to be fair have stood the test of time - more so than Hendy longevity wise - but they haven't dominated a specific period, being spread out over the years (i.e Davis in the 80s, Reardon in the 70s)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

We’ve all been half expecting the Chinese takeover for a while, but Ding, while he’s had plenty of success, seems somewhat allergic to the Crucible (has he even made the final?) and the others have shown flashes but not progressed.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:19
blahblah wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:09 I was typing about the whole 2 weeks tbh, and the number of centuries isn't really a measure imho (especially given the increasing variance in how receptive pockets are). The class players have been way below their levels and maybe this is the end of Murphy, Bingham, Selby, Ding and Higgins with ROS still kicking in short format stuff.

In a lot of cases the winner will have possibly a tough opening game to manage. Yes, Trump was fortunate but in games where there can be several sessions, you can emerge from the odd session having played under par. We can look through rose tinted specs but I remember some of the Thorburn, Griffiths, Charlton games which went way into the early hours and turned into a stamina sapping slog fest.
Kind of. Not losing because of a bad session is not the same as winning because of 1 good session or half session?

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:23
But it is only ROS, Higgins and Williams (for 12 months after dropping out if top 16 and missing the World's) that made it an over 40's game?

Admittedly they redefined snooker (along with Selby) and the ones after just wanted to be Hendry (ie just pot) or Davis (essentially just the Essex Mafia of Carter, Bingham, King et al).

Some of the new ones are trying to play like the 4 above, which is why there is a missed generation or 2 and it has raken Trump a long time to accept that he needs defence\safety and develop thst Plan B.
Blah, Hendry could not "just pot". He had it all. I think at a very young stage in his career - about 18 - he played Steve Davis is a few challenge matched and Davis wiped the floor with him. He then changed his game, already having bags of natural talent, to match. Plus his temperament was so good, as was Davis's. They never flinched, Steve's exception being the last frame decider v Dennis Taylor but that was exceptional.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:26 We’ve all been half expecting the Chinese takeover for a while, but Ding, while he’s had plenty of success, seems somewhat allergic to the Crucible (has he even made the final?) and the others have shown flashes but not progressed.
For me his best year was when he went through qualifying, and was unlucky in the Semi? He tried a very risky blue in the decider? (It was quite thin off the spot with CB near a cushion and he dug down on CB rather thsn just potting the Blue.)

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

forestfan wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:26 We’ve all been half expecting the Chinese takeover for a while, but Ding, while he’s had plenty of success, seems somewhat allergic to the Crucible (has he even made the final?) and the others have shown flashes but not progressed.
That's disappointing and I don't get it. SInce James Wattana, then Marcu Fu and finally Ding et al no-one from the far east has really kicked on. Whether it's being away from home or what, just not working. I'm still hoping we'll see a Chinese or an Indian Jimmy White one of these days, who will blow us all away.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:27

Blah, Hendry could not "just pot". He had it all. I think at a very young stage in his career - about 18 - he played Steve Davis is a few challenge matched and Davis wiped the floor with him. He then changed his game, already having bags of natural talent, to match. Plus his temperament was so good, as was Davis's. They never flinched, Steve's exception being the last frame decider v Dennis Taylor but that was exceptional.
Allow me some generalisation\exaggeration but his safety was well below Higgins and Williams back then and ROS after his Reardon Years.

He openly admits that sort of thing in commentary, and he was a game changer against Davis' Percentage style......

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:26
bluenosey wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:19

Kind of. Not losing because of a bad session is not the same as winning because of 1 good session or half session?
In a way, yes. Selby is the master of that type of game play. He would always give Ronnie a hard time. Thorburn years ago was the original "grinder" and would slow down faster players. I still recall Tony Knowles missing an easyish pink about 1984 and Thorburn won about four on the trot to beat him and reach the final. This has got history though. Ray Reardon used to say whne playing Alex Higgins he would leave him a "tempter" and he knew Alex wouldn't resist but percentage wise, Reardon won, apart from the epic 82 touny, when he was just starting to decline.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

bluenosey wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:31
That's disappointing and I don't get it. SInce James Wattana, then Marcu Fu and finally Ding et al no-one from the far east has really kicked on. Whether it's being away from home or what, just not working. I'm still hoping we'll see a Chinese or an Indian Jimmy White one of these days, who will blow us all away.
Very few have been Matchplayers.... Xhao, Zhou and the bod Maguire flunked past have potential, but do they have the bottle?

The way the game is structured it is very difficult to break into the top 20-24 let alone the top 16. Murphy was 80 odd in the world this year before Sheffield, but was approx 13th seed due to the year before counting the same as this season. He could well have been a seed without winning a match this season.....

It will be interesting to see how Jack, Gilbert and G Wilson do next year.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:32
bluenosey wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:27

Allow me some generalisation\exaggeration but his safety was well below Higgins and Williams back then and ROS after his Reardon Years.

He openly admits that sort of thing in commentary, and he was a game changer against Davis' Percentage style......
Maybe. I just remember Hendry being the "complete" player. Some great games he played. The epic final v Mike Hallett (B & H?) where he something like 8-1 down in a first to ten and won ? That was legendary but destroyed poor old Mike, who happened to be his double partner ! No mercy ! Likewise when 14-8 down to Jimmy White, Hendry just went into machine mode and won 18-14. A bit like Judd yesterday.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:39
Very few have been Matchplayers.... Xhao, Zhou and the bod Maguire flunked past have potential, but do they have the bottle?

The way the game is structured it is very difficult to break into the top 20-24 let alone the top 16. Murphy was 80 odd in the world this year before Sheffield, but was approx 13th seed due to the year before counting the same as this season. He could well have been a seed without winning a match this season.....

Maybe mental stamina. Ding couldn't really handle the B & H when Ronnie beat him. Perhaps they need a sports psychologist, as some of the top stars use ? You have to bounce back. John Parrott a great example. Lost 18-3 to Davis. ABsolutley whopped - 1989 ??? :shock: but bounced back a few years later to win the thing. That's mental resilience.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Hendry was like a steam roller and intimidated players like Davis did. But ROS, Higgins and Williams had each other so couldn't dominate and the second tier wasn't too bad for a few years Stephens and Hunter being 2....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:43
blahblah wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:39

Maybe mental stamina. Ding couldn't really handle the B & H when Ronnie beat him. Perhaps they need a sports psychologist, as some of the top stars use ? You have to bounce back. John Parrott a great example. Lost 18-3 to Davis. ABsolutley whopped - 1989 ??? :shock: but bounced back a few years later to win the thing. That's mental resilience.
What’s Chinese for bouncebackability? :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It's not dong ding :lol:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Hendry was a bit like Schumacher in F1. Easily the best all round player/driver. Lots of natural talent but maybe not quite as much as the maverick heroes (Senna/AHiggins). Trump on form is more of a Lewis Hamilton. Maybe more natural talent than Hendry but not quite the complete package without a lot of work. On his day....

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:45 Hendry was like a steam roller and intimidated players like Davis did. But ROS, Higgins and Williams had each other so couldn't dominate and the second tier wasn't too bad for a few years Stephens and Hunter being 2....
Found this Blah. It's seven years old but worth a look https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bendirs/201 ... eates.html

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Trump still on fire, despite Higgins being on for a 147 in the first frame.

Trumps long potting is phenomenal.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Please Blah, tell me you were impressed.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep, Trump stood up to that well and played some good safety etc....

I was moaning about the 2 weeks more than the Final and Trump's play. The "Alex" type Blue was the turning point imho.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

All over very quickly in the end.

One of the best ever final performances from Judd Trump. Brilliant.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

It's all over & time for the roll call.

Pos Name Players Points
1 murf 4 7 8 18 29 26830
2 morganb 4 7 8 18 31 26820
3 owenclass 4 7 14 18 23 26436
4 SamD 4 7 8 29 17 25154
5 nevblake 4 7 8 14 32 24138
6 bluenosey 7 8 14 18 22 23962
7 Spencer4 4 9 12 16 26 20666
8 Brightwater 1 7 8 18 32 17786
9 kingcurtley 3 4 8 23 27 16482
10 Kris_fiso 1 4 7 26 31 16014
11 Rick Spangle 4 1 8 23 29 15870
12 Shaggy365 1 5 18 19 23 14216
13 polarbear 9 14 29 7 6 13728
14 S_sutton87 2 4 10 18 31 11036
15 the bear 1 8 12 23 21 10930
16 blahblah 1 4 9 24 29 10816
17 Surprised 8 25 11 14 7 10298
18 trampie 1 4 12 17 31 8602
19 Darbyand 4 1 2 31 32 7890
20 toffeelover 17 29 25 4 1 6750
21 Mo Bot 1 26 4 20 14 4854

999 Maximum 7 16 23 5 30 43109

Congratulations go to murf who took the FISO title, and came a respectable 3rd overall. Bluenosey took the elimination competition, and thanks to Higgins performance in the final, I went from top of my work colleagues down to last. Perhaps I should spend more time on my entry in future, and less time trying to automate the whole thing.

Hope you all enjoyed it, and look forward to seeing you all again in 12 months time.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

8-)

Cheers shaggy, brilliant comp that made me watch/follow some good snooker :D . Not bad to win and come 3rd overall when you lose 3 of your 4 players in the QFs. If only....

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Fantasy Snooker”