To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

MotoGP & petrolhead chit-chat

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

MotoGP & petrolhead chit-chat

Post by Mystery »

In the Legard thread over at Fantasy F1, someone suggested a motor sports chat thread.

Good shout I said.....

Proper motor sport got under way a few weeks back with the NASCAR Daytona 500 being won by a pimply teen, Superbikes being led by several motogp refugees and Bernie £cclestone raced to the bank cackling. As usual.

This weekend features MotoGP's opener being a night race in Qatar. Stoner looks to have the measure of the top class field and Scotty Redding is well up to speed on the Moto 2 bikes.

Elsewhere there's GP2 Asia in errrr...Italy (safer than Bahrain apparently), sportscars opening their season at Sebring and NASCAR doing it's roundy roundy thing on a track roughly the size of your average Snappy Snaps.

All motor sports views, observations and reminiscences welcome!

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Re: F1, MotoGP & petrolhead chit-chat

Post by bluenosey »

I take it Stoner is finally over his illness then ? Rossi quite low down and I wonder if last years injury has finally taken it's toll. Spies looked pretty good this year and great to see Cal Crutchlow in the mix - a Brit to cheer on after the relative disappointment of Toseland.

Mystery, do you know if the NASCAR races will be covered on Open Access again this year ? Sky covered for one year but then seemed to lose interest.

Countdown to the Aussie GP begins... 8-) Don't think Bahrain will go ahead at all this year. Wonder if Bernie will throw in a replacement GP ? I think he should just leave it. Schedule far too packed as it is.

Mystery
FISO Knight

F1, MotoGP & petrolhead chit-chat

Post by Mystery »

Stoner seems as fit as a butchers dog. I think Rossi's injury is actually his shoulder from 09. Spies is exciting for sure and Crutchlow took time to get up to speed but is looking close.

NASCAR is on Premier Sports this season (sky 433 I believe) and requires a stand alone subscription. About £7 a month I think.

Bahrain surely won't go ahead and they won't replace it. They have more races than the teams are contracted to take part in and an already full calendar.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

MotoGP: Alvaro Bautista chucked the only Suzuki at the scenery (how unusual) on Thursday and broke a leg. Unclear if he's being replaced for qually or not as the team are rebuilding a bike seemingly for someone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 429804.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Suzuki didn't replace Bautista in the end but will reincarnate John Hopkins next time out.

Stoner on the MotoGP pole ahead of the Pedro-bot then everyone else. Cal Crutchlow a stunning 8th ahead of Rossi and his own team mate.

Former crap Renault driver Romain Grosjean won in the GP2 "Asia" event in Imola.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Moto race starts soon. G
Mystery wrote:Former crap Renault driver Romain Grosjean won in the GP2 "Asia" event in Imola.
although not quite as crap as Nelson Piquet Jnr and Petrov didn't exactly do the bizz last year :wink:

Moto GP starts soon. Dovizioso looks worth a flutter at 33-1 e/w

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Agreed, but Petrov, Grosjean and Piquet all looked crap before they got to F1 so at least what we saw was what we got. And Hulkenberg can't even find a drive - dreadful....

MotoGp predictably dominated by Stacey Moaner with Lorenzo doing alright second and Pedro-bot fading worryingly badly. Crutchlow didn't quite repeat his qually form but won't be unhappy with 11th.

Kyle Busch won the NASCAR in a rather dull sounding race (I haven't seen it yet), Grosjean won the GP2 Asia championship despite picking up a penalty in the race - sums him up nicely. Hate to say it, but I'm not sure there's any talent in this crop of GP2 runners. Sam Bird could be half decent if he could keep his car intact and out of the kitty litter.

The Sebring sportscar race was won by last year's Peugeot car overshadowing the new Peugeot with a not at all confusing identical name. Audi seemed to collect problems along the way. Might make for an interesting Le Mans 24 but no doubt the two big teams will got their act together, and who knows what a Dave Richards inspired Aston Martin will bring.

In other news, you can now set your Sky+s to record Aussie GP qualifying and the race :-)

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Aussie GP qualifying starts at 6am this morning (on Beeb One from 5am). McLarens were surprisingly fastest yesterday with Red Bull and Mercedes looking quick. Lotus not looking as quick as they'd hoped. Virgins looking likely to struggle to quality under the 107% rule but they've at least done real laps which is more than HRT can say.

The Indycar season opens in St Petersburg and it looks like being a Ganassi / Penske benefit again. Although Mike Conway on his Andretti debut is also looking quick.

World Superbikes are at Donington Park and Biaggi is fastest so far.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Missed the quali but Vettel nearly a second ahead of Webber, on home soil :shock: . That's a country mile. That will hurt Webs.

Mclaren will be well happy with 2nd and 4th. Just wonder how they will go on the race ? Lewis heavy on tyres with Jense being totally the opposite. How will they fair on the Pirellis ?

Ferrari will be disappointed with 5th and 8th (Massa usually crap on stret circuits though)

Great to see Rosberg outquali Schumacher. What will the excuse be this time ? I've got one. First time Schuey has ever had a half decent team mate ?

Kobiyashi looks good again. Expect Toro Rosso to go well.

Good performance from Petrov. Needs not to bin it though this time (I personally hope he sneaks ahead of Alonso :wink: ) Looks like Heidfeld passed his sell by date.

Also good performance by Di Resta. Outqualifying Sutil. Bet the German won't be happy about that.

Lotus and Virgin still 2 secs off the pace. Lotus will be very,very disappointed with that.

Hispania all at see at the back. Outside the 107% ?? Will they be on the grid ?

Finally, Rubino ? What happened son ? :?

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Small point but the clocks go forward an hr tonight don't they? In case you set the alarm an hr early... :wink:

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

bluenosey wrote:Finally, Rubino ? What happened son ? :?
Wheel half on the grass, whoops, game over.

With him and Heidfeld in 17th and 18th I need the rookies in front of them to fall over each other to have a chance in the Predictions comp.....

greenman
FISOhead

Post by greenman »

Both Koboyashi and Perez disqualified for having an illegal rear wing .. will screw up those with Sauber in their picks this weekend. :cry:

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Sauber have given notice they will appeal their exclusion.

Good if not great race I thought. The letterbox aero thing was poor but not the best circuit for it so that was quite predictable. Good drives from Petrov, both McLarens and Vettel obviously.

World Superbikes are in Donington. Race One won by Melandri. Race two starts on Eurosport 2 soon.

Indycars also on tonight. Will Power on pole but watch out for Mike Conway in his first race since thwacking the chicken wire in the last laps of last years Indy 500 (gore fans may wish to investigate that crash on YouTube)

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Sauber decided not to appeal in the end. Probably the right outcome. Shame for Perez though because that was a cracking drive.

It's Malaysia this weekend and if the weather is hot then there's talk of teams choosing between a three and four stop strategy. Sounds like madness to me....

Last week saw Lorenzo win a wet and controversial MotoGP race. Rossi crashed taking out Stoner following which every marshal but one raced over to help Rossi who rejoined but Stoner didn't have enough help to restart his undamaged bike. The FIM will hold an enquiry into the events.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Well done to Brit Mike Conway on winning the Indycar race at Long Beach 8-)

His first victory and less than a year on from when he nearly lost his life because of this 230mph accident at the Indy 500 :-

Respect 8-)

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Awesome awesome drive by Conway. Cocked up his first pit stop and drove through the entire field. Well those that didn't drive into the wall.

Overtook 5 guys in about 2 laps then raced off in the distance. Great viewing!

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Wow been a while since I been in this thread. Might bring back to life for 2012.

2011 ended pretty badly for motor sports what with losing Danny and Marco so can really only hope for a safe year.

That's not started well either with an Aussie youngster dying in a support race to the World Superbikes last weekend.

In other news our old pal Juan Pablo managed to single handedly red flag the Daytona 500 in this little incident.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGOzylug_MQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Wow, never seen that before - hope for JPM's sake it was a mechanical problem, otherwise very embarrassing.

How do you assess the F1 testing times Mystery ? The Lotuses look very quick. Grosjean and Kimi at the top of the times quite a lot.

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

How many drivers does it take to stop a Nascar race?.......just Juan! :lol:

Stolen from the link you gave Mystery.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Quite a busy weekend for the lower categories in the sport, but might cover that another time.

Purpose of this post is to observe that WSBK Kawasaki rider Joan Lascorz had a huge off in testing today. He suffered a suspected broken vertebra and is scheduled for surgery about now. Had terrible luck for injuries so can only wish him well.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Great programme last night on BBC4 about the big bulky Rally Group B cars of the 80s.

Man, those crowds were wild.

Made me wince just watching.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Joan Lascorz had surgery on his fractured vertebra last night and the movement of the bones in the crash "caused some spinal damage".

Eerily little information available. This may of course mean they know nothing but it does remind me of the silence that came down after Alex Zanardi's German Champ Car crash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8VMchh12nM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I remember back then the report of a crash became a headline on teletext very quickly (because of his F1 past) but the story was rapidly pulled with literally no news released until much later in the evening.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Still little news about Lascorz. Doctor reported his condition is unclear due to swelling - maybe no news is good news. It has to be said though UNCONFIRMED REPORTS out of the hospital say that he may be paralysed from the waist down and some concern about paralysis above. Just have to wish him well.

MotoGP kicks off tonight in Qatar with first practice and I dare say Joan will get a mention or two during that.

Expecting the top class to be a Casey Stoner benefit. No-one seems even close.

Moto2 looks interesting with around half a dozen riders looking fast including Scott Redding and the returning from injury Marc Marquez.

Moto3 replaces the 125cc class with the boys using 250cc 4-stroke bikes. British rider Danny Webb (I think! There's a Danny Kent too and I mix them up!) has a works KTM ride and looked conspicuously dominant in testing. He'll need some composure having not really been in this position before.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Great performance from Cal Crutchlow - 4th places bodes well for the season ahead 8-)

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

bluenosey wrote:Great performance from Cal Crutchlow - 4th places bodes well for the season ahead 8-)
yes, excellent performance, quite obviously faster than Dov which I suspect will please him greatly.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Some excellent motogp action at the weekend. Moto2 had a great scrap although was disappointed that little thug Marquez was allowed to shove Luthi off the road when last year someone lost a race for doing that.

Enjoyed the top class race. Rossi's toys starting to fly out the pram now. Cal fought a great race with Dovi. Lorenzo out-lasted Stoner with the Pedro-bot nearby. Was quite impressed by the CRT crowd too, Edwards in particular. Looking like a good season.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
bluenosey wrote:Great performance from Cal Crutchlow - 4th places bodes well for the season ahead 8-)
yes, excellent performance, quite obviously faster than Dov which I suspect will please him greatly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/mattroberts/ ... tance.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nice little write up of Cals weekend.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

F1 chit chat now has it's own home at viewtopic.php?t=94625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Excellent :D (but you need to change the title of this one)

TheTon
FISO Knight

Post by TheTon »

Not sure if i've done all the chopping and changing properly. Feel free to point out any mistakes. I made a right mess of splitting it all, but think it's sorted now.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”