To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

MotoGP & petrolhead chit-chat

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Re: MotoGP & petrolhead chit-chat

Post by Mystery »

Hmmmm. Well I guess Casey did OK on them and to some extent he has a similar record up to this stage in his MotoGP career. So Pol Esp to Tech 3 presumably.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Mystery wrote:Scott Redding still holding a championship lead of more than a race win but apparently has two MotoGP offers on the table. One presumably from his current team, maybe with a production based Ducati. Guessing the other is Pramac Ducati.
At BT Sport's launch event last night Scott confirmed he will be in the top class next season. Would have been very surprising had he not been.

And Pol Espagaro to Tech 3 confirmed.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Enjoying a nice beer watching the events from Silverstone - will be running round there in 6 months for the half-marathon which is going to be fun. I think.

Anyway, great to see Scott Redding win again. With Espagaro only eighth he's reversed a trend of losing points in the last few races. WC lead up to 38 points now so with 25 for a win he's got some breathing space again.

Also, Scott announced before the weekend he's signed for Gresini in the top class riding the Honda "production racer" (sort of a super-CRT bike).

Interesting thing is that leaves a couple of very good Moto2 rides up for grabs with great interest being shown by Sam Lowes.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

...and you caught a cracking British Moto GP to boot 8-)

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

Mystery wrote:
bluenosey wrote:How is Tai ? He came a right cropper at Cardiff. Pity that, when he was leading the championship :( Must say I enjoy Eurosports coverage of the speedway :)
I haven't seen the last round yet but Tai was in it and did ok considering.
Congrats Tai Woffinden - world champion. Nicely done. Just the two broken collar bones this year too.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

It's been a long winter of I don't know... footy I suppose... But the real sport kicks off this weekend.

World Superbikes restart this weekend with overnight races in Oz at Philip Island. Tom Sykes defends his well earned title. Also, fans of roundy roundy racing have the NASCAR Daytona 500 this weekend.

There's also Moto 2 and 3 testing going on this week. All the expected suspects going well, but personally I'll be most interested in how Sam Lowes goes on the Speed Up Moto2 machine. Well inside the top 10 so far so would be surprised if he wasn't challenging for podiums at some stage.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Mystery wrote:It's been a long winter of I don't know... footy I suppose... But the real sport kicks off this weekend.

World Superbikes restart this weekend with overnight races in Oz at Philip Island. Tom Sykes defends his well earned title. Also, fans of roundy roundy racing have the NASCAR Daytona 500 this weekend.

There's also Moto 2 and 3 testing going on this week. All the expected suspects going well, but personally I'll be most interested in how Sam Lowes goes on the Speed Up Moto2 machine. Well inside the top 10 so far so would be surprised if he wasn't challenging for podiums at some stage.
Wonder if the Daytona is on the freebie American sports channel that follows BT Sport ?

Always worth a look although like with a fair few NASCAR races, the first 100 laps or so can be a non event.

No doubt Jimmie Johnson will be the man to beat again in the Sprint Cup.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

NASCAR is still on Premier Sports as this is the last year of their contact. Would be surprised if BT don't pitch for it next year, if they haven't gone bust by then.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

What the hell has Tony Stewart done ?

That's murder :shock: :twisted:

Foolish of the kid to remonstrate but Stewart doesn't look to hold back :evil:

and he's racing today !!! Unbelievable :evil:

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

bluenosey wrote:What the hell has Tony Stewart done ?

That's murder :shock: :twisted:

Foolish of the kid to remonstrate but Stewart doesn't look to hold back :evil:

and he's racing today !!! Unbelievable :evil:
Tony's not racing now (replaced by Regan Smith) but having seen the video that's pretty much Tony losing his head. However what you can't see from that video is that apparently the two cars coming up to the kid, including Tony, were side by side so that might make a difference. Those cars don't look too manoeuvrable but even so it looked awful.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

On the plus side Scott Redding doing an excellent job on an underpowered Honda in Motogp. Moto3 on in a minute.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Cracking Moto GP. Valet got lucky. Completely missed the pit window but Lorenzo fell off. Rumour has it he has it that Jorge has hurt his hand. Think it could be Rossi's title now.

In the confusion of a dry-wet-dry race, Bradley Smith finished a cracking second after staying out on drys 8-) and Scott Reading and even more remarkable third 8-) despite falling off and remounting :shock: Double podium for the Brits :)

Johann Zarco is beginning to stroll Moto 2 and the Frenchman looks a class act.

Mystery
FISO Knight

Post by Mystery »

The race yesterday was good fun for the first 25 or so laps. Reminded me of Redding's 125 win from many moons back actually. Having three totally different strategies on the podium was excellent (although that is counting making sandcastles in the gravel trap as a strategy).

Delighted for Smith and Redding though.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

For all those that dismiss the Indycar series and especially oval racing, you can't deny that the drivers earn every single dollar :-

Delighted to see Scott Dixon emerge unscathed from what looked like a light aircraft accident.

Well done Takuma Sato 8-) Some pay back for just missing out to Dario a few years back.

As for Fernando, well, guess what ? The Honda let go.... :? I reckon he'll be back though.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

That was so, so lucky. For Dixon... and Castro Neves who went underneath. Not sure I've ever seen a car fly so far, especially with no real injuries. Even watching it 'as live' but knowing the outcome I'm glad I saw him climb out before seeing the crash!

Alonso has been superb and the Andretti Hondas are bossing it (as far as I've watched).

The success of F1 rejects/rookies Aloso, Sato and Rossi doesn't say much for the homegrown conveyor belt of talent.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote:That was so, so lucky. For Dixon... and Castro Neves who went underneath. Not sure I've ever seen a car fly so far, especially with no real injuries. Even watching it 'as live' but knowing the outcome I'm glad I saw him climb out before seeing the crash!

Alonso has been superb and the Andretti Hondas are bossing it (as far as I've watched).

The success of F1 rejects/rookies Aloso, Sato and Rossi doesn't say much for the homegrown conveyor belt of talent.
And Britain's Max Chilton who finished fourth...

I don't think Indy/open wheel racing outside of the Indy 500 itself is that big in America these days, NASCAR really took over in the past couple of decades (though itself is seemingly in decline now). It's a long time since we've had a competitive American driver in F1 as well.

On the subject of the crash, Dixon was a close friend of Dan Wheldon who lost his life in a somewhat similar incident (though involving a lot more cars). The subsequent safety improvements as well as Wheldon's previous testing work on a new standard chassis, which now bears his initials, may well have saved Dixon's life as well as that of Dario Franchitti a few years ago.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

The main safety work was on stopping cars launching which it has minimised very well (if not in this case). The survival cell work (more F1 led than Indycar???) certainly helped but it was mostly luck as to how he landed on the barrier. A foot or so the other way and nothing could have saved him.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

murf wrote:The main safety work was on stopping cars launching which it has minimised very well (if not in this case). The survival cell work (more F1 led than Indycar???) certainly helped but it was mostly luck as to how he landed on the barrier. A foot or so the other way and nothing could have saved him.
The rear wheels are now enclosed to try and stop that and the big ovals have the safer barrier. That said, poor Justin Wilson, got hit by debris from another car last year. Wrong place, wrong time. Shows how Castroneves had a lucky escape by going underneath Dixon's car.

I must admit, I love the Indy 500. After watching Monaco and raging about Ferrari's pit strategy, at least I had calmed down by the time "Taku" won. (last time I went to a GP in 2004 I met the Takuma Sato fan club, kimonos and all. Great bunch :) . Really nice bloke but was consistently inconsistent in F1 and yet of all places where you need a bit of lady luck , it came together for him at Indy yesterday)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”