To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Is Andy Murray now the Worlds number 1....

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
Maldini
Dumbledore

Re: Is Andy Murray now the Worlds number 1....

Post by Maldini »

Chuffed for the lad. Worked his socks off and getting Lendl back on board has made all the difference.

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Last edited by Judio on 24 Nov 2016, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I think they need to rejig their points systems to give more weight to the grand slams and apply less bias to their own (surprise, surprise) ATP titles. To get 1500 for winning the end of season thing and 1000 for other ATP titles yet only get 1200 for being a grand slam finalist is plainly wrong. Wimbledon (2000 pts for a win) is clearly more than 33% more important than Wembley (1500)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote:
I think they need to rejig their points systems to give more weight to the grand slams and apply less bias to their own (surprise, surprise) ATP titles. To get 1500 for winning the end of season thing and 1000 for other ATP titles yet only get 1200 for being a grand slam finalist is plainly wrong. Wimbledon (2000 pts for a win) is clearly more than 33% more important than Wembley (1500)
I guess they have to incentivise players to compete in "lesser" tournaments, otherwise someone could be number 1 by only playing 4 tournaments in a year. If none of the world's best turn up for a particular event then there's nothing for them to market.

By "Wembley" I take it you mean the O2? It may not quite be a Grand Slam (only 3 sets for a start) but where else do you have to play 5 of the top 8 potentially to win it...

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Maldini wrote:Chuffed for the lad. Worked his socks off and getting Lendl back on board has made all the difference.
Lendl is key. If he keeps lendl he gets more success. Dumps Lendl then he won't get much more. Not sure how Lendl does it but he takes Murrays mental game from 2nd rate to top class standard

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

forestfan wrote:By "Wembley" I take it you mean the O2?
Yep, all just that there London to me :wink:

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Overall Points

Murray 12410
Djokovic 11780

Grand Slam Points

Murray 4760
Djokovic 5290

Masters Series Points

Murray 4650
Djokovic 5150

World Tour Finals

Murray 1500
Djokovic 1000

ATP 500 Level Points

Murray 1500
Djokovic 90

ATP 250 Level Points
Murray 0
Djokovic 250
Last edited by Judio on 23 Nov 2016, 12:42, edited 2 times in total.

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Judio wrote:
Next weeks rankings

1 Djokovic 16,950
2 Murray 8,915
3 Federer 6,655
4 Nadal 5,405
5 Wawrinka 5,035
6 Nishikori 4,290
7 Thiem 3,105
Look at the Gap he had to close down after Roland Garros !!!!

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Yep, I seem to remember people saying that it would be impossible and Djokovic would be Number 1 for ages.....

Is there a total of points upto just after Paris and then after? Next season will be weird points wise as Novak defends loads of points, then Murray defends loads.

re the Points distribution: the Slams can not carry too many for QF and SF as there would be carnage lower down? However they could give a few more related to how well the person that you lost to does eg:

SF loser to Winner > SF who lost to Loser (So a 1, 2, 3, 4 ranking)

QF: S more points given to who lost to 1 than 2 than 3... (which gives a 1-> 8 Ranking)

Last 16 similarly....

So at least losing to a top player gives more points than losing to someone who rolls over in the next Round.

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

blahblah wrote: Is there a total of points upto just after Paris and then after? Next season will be weird points wise as Novak defends loads of points, then Murray defends loads.
Between 1 Jan and end of Roland Garros
Djokovic 7950
Murray 4450

Between start of Grass Court season to end of Year

Djokovic 3830
Murray 7960

Incredible change

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Judio wrote:
Djokovic 7950
Murray 4450
Between 1 Jan and end of Miami (First 3 months )
Djokovic 4340
Murray 1290

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

murf wrote:
forestfan wrote:By "Wembley" I take it you mean the O2?
Yep, all just that there London to me :wink:
Big Dome, not Big Arch... pretty much at opposite corners :wink:

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

I suppose YES is the simple answer to the question posed in the thread title. How long he is there is debateable but I think he really deserves all the plaudits coming his way. Also his Brother Jamie - their parents must be unbelievably happy after all they put in during the early years.

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

By all accounts the father was pretty much put to one side

Mothers obsession with tennis and her two boys

Dad went elsewhere....

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

....arise Sir Andy

(and Sir Mo, Lady Jess.... - doesn't seem right when they are still young and competing (/ recently were). Sirs and Ladies should be old farts)

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: (and Sir Mo, Lady Jess.... - doesn't seem right when they are still young and competing (/ recently were). Sirs and Ladies should be old farts)
Yep, but they screwed this with some cricketers and then Brad the Clean....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Judio wrote:
Judio wrote:
Djokovic 7950
Murray 4450
Between 1 Jan and end of Miami (First 3 months )
Djokovic 4340
Murray 1290
Out of the Aus Open already.....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Followed by Murray :shock:

Evans 7-6, 2-6 against Tsonga.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Open goal put firmly into row Z. He surely won't get a better chance to add this one to his collection. Every chance Wawrinka will move ahead of him in terms of Slam titles now, though a couple of other familiar names will fancy their chances of probably one last moment of glory...

Murray could have just about sealed the top ranking up until Wimbledon had he just had a decent run here. Looks like we will see the pack start to reel in the top two now, and perhaps a spell where it's wide open before the next superstar emerges.

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Federer must be happy knowing that he should now have a semi final vs Stan Warwrinka

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Ashers wrote:Federer must be happy knowing that he should now have a semi final vs Stan Warwrinka
Stan would be favourite to win it, he gets stronger as major tournaments go on and produces his best against the top players at the business end, if he gets there. Just doesn't negotiate the early rounds as consistently as the others normally do. Bookies make him and Raonic the favourites now - sure the neutrals want one last Federer-Nadal final though!

Nishikori will test the Swiss no.2 as well...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: Stan would be favourite to win it, he gets stronger as major tournaments go on and produces his best against the top players at the business end, if he gets there.
Good job that he does as I saw a bit of his 1st Round Match and he looked pants.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

My Raonic bet looking better by the day. :)

Can only see a Federer rolling back the years performance stopping him.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote:
forestfan wrote: Stan would be favourite to win it, he gets stronger as major tournaments go on and produces his best against the top players at the business end, if he gets there.
Good job that he does as I saw a bit of his 1st Round Match and he looked pants.
Well that seems to be the thing with him, vulnerable early on in tournaments, doesn't rack up the ranking points in lesser events, but thrives on big occasions, and when he produces his best it will beat anyone, even a focused Djokovic as we've seen before.

The potential Swiss derby will be an epic, not sure Federer's got a series of five-setters in his legs now though, having had one already against Nishikori.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

forestfan wrote:
Ashers wrote:Federer must be happy knowing that he should now have a semi final vs Stan Warwrinka
Stan would be favourite to win it, he gets stronger as major tournaments go on and produces his best against the top players at the business end, if he gets there. Just doesn't negotiate the early rounds as consistently as the others normally do. Bookies make him and Raonic the favourites now - sure the neutrals want one last Federer-Nadal final though!

Incorrect - Federer is favourite

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Maldini wrote:My Raonic bet looking better by the day. :)

Or Rafa. :roll: :lol:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

hancockjr wrote:
forestfan wrote:

Well, not sure the bookies have that one right. If Federer's going to win it he surely has to do so in three sets.

One possibly last big clash of the two old masters would be great to see at this stage, but to be honest I'm getting a bit bored of waiting for the next new superstar in the men's game. The fourth man remaining, Dimitrov, was supposedly the next big thing a few years ago but then faded quite dramatically - a chance to make up for lost time here, but suspect the likes of him and Raonic will be the nearly men, the generation who didn't quite have enough to depose the old order even as the greats passed their peak.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Maldini wrote:
Maldini wrote:My Raonic bet looking better by the day. :)

Or Rafa. :roll: :lol:
Indeedy.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

forestfan wrote:
hancockjr wrote:
forestfan wrote:

Well, not sure the bookies have that one right. If Federer's going to win it he surely has to do so in three sets.

One possibly last big clash of the two old masters would be great to see at this stage, but to be honest I'm getting a bit bored of waiting for the next new superstar in the men's game. The fourth man remaining, Dimitrov, was supposedly the next big thing a few years ago but then faded quite dramatically - a chance to make up for lost time here, but suspect the likes of him and Raonic will be the nearly men, the generation who didn't quite have enough to depose the old order even as the greats passed their peak.
Guess you're looking forward to a nice payday!

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

forestfan wrote:
hancockjr wrote:
forestfan wrote:

and he did it in five sets!!!

Still the best, Roger !!!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”