To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Is Andy Murray now the Worlds number 1....

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Is Andy Murray now the Worlds number 1....

Post by paisleypark »

Suggest he is no.1 at the moment as he cruised through Wimbledon for first week and got tough when he needed to in the second.
Playing so much better on clay now as well so who knows. Think he is fitter than Djokovic but not quite as mentally strong in certain situations. Lendl a definite plus so if the partnership continues maybe Andy will really sort out the game plan to beat Djokovic on a regular basis.

Bob Newhart
FISO Knight

Post by Bob Newhart »

forestfan wrote:Well he had to work pretty hard for it, it's not as if it was 6-0 6-1 6-2...
It was never going to be 6-0 6-1 6-2 but I expected straight sets - although you knew he'd rarely break the Canadian's huge serve, you didn't see Raonic having the game to break Murray and in the mini shootout that is a tie break, you always thought Murray would win. At least that's how I found it.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I certainly think Murray has the game to win each of the 4 slams but he need to have Lendl. 3 Slam finals this year and no reason to think he won't get to the final of the US.

Jarlie
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: Good

Post by Jarlie »

Jarlie wrote:Murray just has to turn up, basically.
Called it. Murray in 3 without breaking sweat. Blockhead isn't at even half the level Murray is.

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Great Britain have just won a Davis Cup Tie WITHOUT Andy Murray !!!

I didn't think that was possible

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Judio wrote:Great Britain have just won a Davis Cup Tie WITHOUT Andy Murray !!!

I didn't think that was possible
Well, Serbia did even things up by not having Djokovic...

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Yes but other countries tend to have more than ONE average player.

We have had only one for such a long time

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

Djokovic beaten again and in tears. He probably feels he's let his country down but he mentally shot and in need of some time away to sort whatever is wrong out.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, no second US Open for Murray after a five set defeat to Nishikori, he seemed to lose it completely when the umpire called a let due to a noise from the roof when he had a break point at 2-1 up and never really got back on track.

Still, saves him from another final defeat to a refreshed Djokovic, who has only had to complete two matches to make the semis! Pretty much guaranteed to make it three out of four majors unless Wawrinka has one of those inspired days he's capable of.

More notable for the performances of the younger British players - looks like Murray won't be alone in the top 50 for much longer.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Post by Spencer4 »

For a player with his experience he's so immature. You could see the toys flying from the pram, the crowd went totally against him for his behaviour, he has only himself to blame. I was even rooting for the other guy!

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Spencer4 wrote:I was even rooting for the other guy!
You're just like those bloody people who voted Remain, Spencer, just not patriotic enough. :wink:

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

forestfan wrote:
More notable for the performances of the younger British players - looks like Murray won't be alone in the top 50 for much longer.
Well I am glad that the Slovenian who has recently switched so that he can be the British Number 2 will possibly soon be British Number 4 !!!

Looks like GB could defend the Davis Cup !!!!

That is even more shocking than them winning it last year !!

Argentina really only have DelPotro

If the final is away then it's touch but is winnable

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Points earned so far in 2016

Djokovic 10250

Murray 8695

So there is a very small chance that Murray will catch Novak at the Year end

BUT

Points to defend in First quarter 2017

Djokovic 4340

Murray 1290

So Murray's serious target is after Miami end of March 2017

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

So, since April Murray is no.1 by over 1000pts

MorrisonDullforce
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Inaugural FPL British Bulldog sidegame winner 2013/14. 2014 Fantasy Commonwealth Games Winner

Post by MorrisonDullforce »

Djokovic has just lost in the Quarters of the Paris Open.

So Murray could be No.1 by the end of Saturday (provided he beats Berdych and Tsonga or Raonic).

MorrisonDullforce
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Inaugural FPL British Bulldog sidegame winner 2013/14. 2014 Fantasy Commonwealth Games Winner

Post by MorrisonDullforce »

With Raonic's withdrawal in the semi-finals in Paris, Andy Murray is now the World's No. 1.

Pleased for him, I didn't think it would happen playing in a generation including Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

MorrisonDullforce wrote:With Raonic's withdrawal in the semi-finals in Paris, Andy Murray is now the World's No. 1.

Pleased for him, I didn't think it would happen playing in a generation including Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.
+1 :D but (caveat, caveat) it has coincided with Fed and Nadal fading and Djokovic having a (relatively - for him) bad 6 months. Djok had a good start to the year and so has loads of points to lose over the next 6 months. Therefore Murray could 'reign' for a while if his form stays good.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

murf wrote:
MorrisonDullforce wrote:With Raonic's withdrawal in the semi-finals in Paris, Andy Murray is now the World's No. 1.

+1 :D but (caveat, caveat) it has coincided with Fed and Nadal fading and Djokovic having a (relatively - for him) bad 6 months. Djok had a good start to the year and so has loads of points to lose over the next 6 months. Therefore Murray could 'reign' for a while if his form stays good.
Even if Djokovic had a bad few months , Murray still needed to earn loads of points and he's done that. He is now officially the best tennis layer on the planet. About time I got my bat out of the cupboard and challenged him.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Hat off to Mr Murray! 8-)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

An anti-climactic way to do it, I'm sure he would rather have clinched it on court, but still doesn't diminish his achievement - it looked so far off a few months back when Djokovic looked unbeatable, but Murray has taken full advantage of his dip in form. The second oldest ever "new" number one, he might not have got another chance if he'd let this one slip, and while it would mean little without the Slam titles (look at a few of the false number ones in the women's game in recent years) it was one of the few achievements left for him to complete in his career. He's certainly a worthy member of the "big four" now with three Slams, two Olympic golds and now this.

Hopefully he can build on it and take the O2 Tour Finals and Australian Open, which are both trophies missing from his cabinet so far.

nffc
Grumpy Old Man

Post by nffc »

Amazing. Although I don't think the British public will fully appreciate what he has achieved til we go another 70 or 80 years for the next class player.

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Murray has said if he gets a bad behaviour default today he wont get this weeks points !!!!

Judio
Dumbledore

Post by Judio »

Since Monte Carlo in April the US Open has been the ONLY tournament that Murray has played in and not made the Final !!!!

Madrid
Rome WON
Roland Garros
Queens WON
Wimbledon WON
Olympics WON
Cincinatti
US Open ONLY A SEMI !!!
Beijing WON
Shanghai WON
Vienna WON
Paris WON

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

So, what chance him beating Djokovic to retain the top spot for year end? Two three-and-a-half hour epics in the last four days for Murray, while Djokovic has only dropped a handful of games in his last two matches... not sure what Murray will have left in the tank to be honest.

I wasn't sure how he would lose the number one ranking given Djokovic has to win it just to keep the same points from last year and Murray didn't make the final a year ago - but the reason is that the points he got for winning the Davis Cup final will drop off the rankings before the end of the year. Still, assuming he does lose it here, every chance of getting it back before the Aussie Open.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Djok has looked better this week and the rankings are important today as it is effectively the result for the season 2016.

Murray should cruise back and hold it through most of the first half of 2017 as Djok has far more points to lose but today would be massively significant in terms of history books.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

1 set and 1 break up. Full year Number 1?????

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Surprised »

Incredible stuff by Murray.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

KABOOM

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, he might have got to the top by beating a lot of lesser players (though 20-odd unbeaten is some achievement whoever you are up against) but beating Djokovic here just rubber stamps the fact that he is the best tennis player in the world at this moment in time. Almost eight years after this thread was started - some things are worth waiting for!

Given Djokovic is defending near maximum points in the first half of next year, Murray has a chance to build a sizeable lead by Wimbledon. He (along with his great rival) will have turned 30 by then, and the younger players are starting to provide more of a challenge, but it should be between him and Djokovic (barring a remarkable late career revival from Federer or Nadal) for the next couple of years. Another few chapters to add to this rivalry, no doubt.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

With Murray defending Maximum Points for the second half of the year?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”