To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

European Ryder Cup Pairings 2018

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

European Ryder Cup Pairings 2018

Post by Edmondson »

Only a couple of weeks or so away, team has been finalised, how do we see the pairings taking shape?

1. Rose
2. McIlroy
3. Rahm
4. Fleetwood
5. Molinari
6. Noren
7. Hatton
8. Olesen
-----------
9. Stenson
10. Poulter
11. Garcia
12. Casey

Friday AM Four Balls:

Rose & Stenson - to lead off for experience?
Molinari & Rahm - nice combo, with Molinari allowing Rahm to go for it
Casey & Fleetwood - won a EurAsia 4 ball together, very handy pairing
McIlroy & Poulter - strong pair to fire each other up? (or do you save Poulter to go out first up with Rose in afternoon Foursomes?)

Garcia maybe just give him a Foursomes match with either Rahm or McIlroy and see how it goes?

Noren got some good form at the course. Hatton could also play with Casey.

Molinari & Fleetwood looks like a great Foursomes combo.

Does Olesen get a 4 ball, maybe with McIlroy?

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Re: European Ryder Cup Pairings 2018

Post by Edmondson »

Kicks off Friday, I’m still none the wiser as to what Bjorn will do. Have seen so many different combos mentioned - not on this thread though :oops:

Anyone :?:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Do McIlroy & Poulter have a good record as a pair? Seems like a fist-pumping road to 0 points to me. Both need a safe and steady to anchor them?

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

The miracle of Medinah started with them on the Saturday evening. But I’m inclined to agree that it could be a disaster, especially after Rory’s appalling final round yesterday at the tour championship.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Monty, Poulter and I suppose Westwood are similar re Majors performance is below RC. (I only suppose Westwood as he nearly got there at Augusta and imploded less than the other 2)

But Poulter and Monty would talk finishing numbers from before their first drive and and again after Round 1..... As soon as they got near the lead they would implode, more so Poulter as Monty kinda hung on in one that I remember in the US and got close only when started hours before the Leaders on a coastal Us Course, with Jack calling him as the winner hours before the end?

However, when head to head all they have\had to worry about is the other bod\pair, so their minds are clearer..... Toss in that Matchplay can be won by letting the other person lose and they were\are better players. that said Poulter is more into attacking fist pumping, momentum stuff. I'd yin him with the most yang Europe have. Maybe Sergio would sort out his woeful Course management?

Since practically all golf went Sky I haven't followed it closely, but I hope Fleetwood does well, but sense a comfortable US win, subject to their Pairings.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

What an astonishing comeback this afternoon!

Only Southport's top golfer Tommy Fleetwood and Molinari were successfully in the morning four balls, as Tiger notched up yet another loss to add to his many in this event, but to take a 5-3 lead with a clean sweep against all the odds in the afternoon foursomes was some comeback.

What a start for the European tour champion and rookie too as Tommy and Molinari followed up taking down Tiger by inflicting their own 5&4 humiliation on the US crack pairing of Justin Thomas Jordan Spieth.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Home advantage is absolutely huge, so Europe must be well fancied to win the singles tomorrow.

Rose, Fleetwood, Molinari and Stentson to bag four points I think.

Although Tommy and Francesco have taken all the headlines, one man has rather gone under the radar and has arguably been just as valuable for Europe too...

Tiger has been absolutely outstanding for Europe this week so Jon Rahm should beat him and make it five with Alex Noren looking favourite for six. Poulter too must have a chance despite Johnson being ranked one, as his Ryder Cup form is exceptional and he's really only been let down by his partners in his two losses with only the one win.

For the USA i'd think possibly wins for Thomas, Koepka, Speith and Captain America Reid.

Garcia vs Fowler too tough to call imo

So 7-5 to Europe is about what I think if Poulter Johnson and Garcia Fowler points are shared but a 6-6 draw at the worst, meaning 16-12 at worst but more likely 17 - 11

Europe 2/11 to win, USA 9/1, a draw 14/1 would also be good enough for the US to retain the Cup.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Isn't the thing with the singles that those who have played 4 Rounds before tend to be fooked and struggle?

I'm not being funny\weird etc, but how on earth can the Yanks not understand 4somes?

I have only listened to it, and gave that up this morning, as most of them seem to be harking back to the (for me real glory days of this and Europe when Sevy, Sandy et al ruled and shafted them) of the late 80's and played each hole like it ws their last until they realised they had no chance and caved in.

That said, the Yanks are better at singles as they don;t have to share anything. If they aren't leading the top 3 and and 7-4 up when the 12th lot stand on the first tee then tomorrow will be duller than a dull thing.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Tiger four defeats from four and heavy ones too, Mickelson so bad he only played once, Reed, DeChambreau, Johnson playing as if his ranking is 901 not 1...

Its hard to find a reason to be too optimistic about their chances of a Medina like comeback, Europe have won all bar two (both away losses) since around the year dot, or so it seems.

Home advantage is absolutely huge, in fact its difficult to overemphasise how big.

Miracles like Europe's win in Medina or Leicester winning the league do happen but not very often and the bookies are now giving 10/1 on this being another.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I'd want more than 10's 8-)

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Five wins out of five for Molinari

Five defeats from five for Tiger

Tommy four wins from five

Three heroes

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Didn't even need to putt out to beat DJ. Better beat the chest for good measure. Classic Poulter #europe looking like Europe's now

https://twitter.com/Redtilldead3/status ... 415425?s=2

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

So, next captain then? McIlroy is backing Harrington, I expect Westwood will be a strong contender as well. I’d be surprised if any of the veterans who played this time will want to put their playing ambitions aside at this stage.

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

forestfan wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 14:22 So, next captain then? McIlroy is backing Harrington, I expect Westwood will be a strong contender as well. I’d be surprised if any of the veterans who played this time will want to put their playing ambitions aside at this stage.
No-one with a red cross on their flag. Our only defeats in the last 25 years have been the only times we've had an English or Irish captain (Faldo, James and Clarke). I'm sure it works like that.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

hancockjr wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 19:57
forestfan wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 14:22 So, next captain then? McIlroy is backing Harrington, I expect Westwood will be a strong contender as well. I’d be surprised if any of the veterans who played this time will want to put their playing ambitions aside at this stage.
No-one with a red cross on their flag. Our only defeats in the last 25 years have been the only times we've had an English or Irish captain (Faldo, James and Clarke). I'm sure it works like that.
And is across the pond.....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I hadn’t realised that... the last English captain to win was Tony Jacklin :shock:

The Irish curse seemingly only applies north of the border, so we’ll be OK with Harrington (but not McDowell or, in a couple of decades’ time, McIlroy!)

Westwood, Poulter and Rose will probably all be among the next five Euro captains, so maybe a spell of American domination is on the way :lol:

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Oops, I meant Northern Irish of course. I believe the distinction is quite important to them.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

hancockjr wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 20:11 Oops, I meant Northern Irish of course. I believe the distinction is quite important to them.
Well, about half of them anyway...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Anyway, Europe will be spoilt for choice in years to come. How about:

2020 - Harrington
2022 - Westwood
2024 - Stenson
2026 - Poulter
2028 - Garcia
2030 - Rose

...or something like that? While the Americans are lumbered with Tiger and Phil :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Wasn't Jacklin from Jersey or somewhere similar?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 20:23 Wasn't Jacklin from Jersey or somewhere similar?
Scunthorpe. Close enough... :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 22:23
blahblah wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 20:23 Wasn't Jacklin from Jersey or somewhere similar?
Scunthorpe. Close enough... :wink:
Yorkshire Independence, lol. He must have moved there, probably due to the 70's tax regime

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”