To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

2018 Winter Olympics

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
Pouzar99
FISOhead

2018 Winter Olympics

Post by Pouzar99 »

You may notice when the Winter Olympics kick off next week that there is something wrong with one of the most important events - Men's ice hockey. The previous five Winter Olympics featured the best ice hockey players in the world - that is almost entirely players from the National Hockey League (NHL) and the Russian League, which is a couple steps below. Canada won 3 of the 5 gold medals including the last two, with Sweden and the Czech Republic winning it once each. This year, thanks to a nasty dispute between the National Hockey League and the IOC, all of the best players are staying home, even though they badly wnat to go. Both sides in the dispute are pricks. The IOC is largely corrupt and the NHL wants to run their own World Cup of Hockey so they will make all the money and control the rights to televising the games. They held one in 2016, won by Canada, and plan to hold another 2020, though they are tempted to send players yo the Beijing Olympics in 2022. At any rate the men's Olympic tourney will be the equivalent of a football World Cup in which only the players from the bottom divisions were allowed to participate, which sucks. The players are very angry, but they have no choice.
Hopefully the rest of the 2018 Olympics are a success and the cheats get caught. The fact that so many tainted Russians are being allowed to particpate tells you all you need to know about the integrity of the IOC.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Re: 2018 Winter Olympics

Post by bloggie »

Sounds like something nice to watch. Just found this: https://www.npr.org/2018/02/02/58279041 ... t-worth-it

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

They should have just binned the mens hockey, the winners won't be worthy of the medals and aren't there concerns about empty arenas?

I can see where the IOC are coming from, if they bend over backwards from NHL then football will demand the same treatment.

It's all about the curling....

Pouzar99
FISOhead

Post by Pouzar99 »

I agree they should have had no men's hockey after the NHL and KHL pulled out. The IOC and the NHL owners are equally to blame. Both sides want it all. The so-called World Cup of hockey only matters to the countries that are playing. The Olympics introduce ice hockey to the many places where it is not played and the quality is tremendous. Olympic football is interesting but not close to the World Cup. Olympic men's hockey is better than its World Cup.

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Whats the actual dispute Pouzar? Not clear from your post why the IOC are to blame (although agree that they are corrupt). Do the NHL want compensating for losing their stars or are the IOC demanding something unreasonable from them?

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

'The NHL conducted polls in both Canada and the United States to determine if fans were in favor of the League taking a break in February to allow players to compete in the Olympics. In the United States, 73 percent said they were not in favor. In Canada, it was 53 percent against the break.
"I think the overwhelming sentiment of the teams is that it's very disruptive on the season and there is somewhere between fatigue and negativity on the subject," Commissioner Bettman said at the conclusion of the General Managers' meetings on March 8 in Boca Raton, Fla.
The NHL has participated in every Winter Olympics since 1998 with a total of 706 players attending, an average of 141 per season.
The IOC (International Olympic Committee) had been paying for the League's participation costs associated with travel, insurance and accommodations for the players and their guests, but told the NHL it will not continue to pay for those costs for the 2018 tournament.
International Ice Hockey Federation president Rene Fasel indicated his federation had the money to cover those costs, but Commissioner Bettman said there was concern the funds would come from assets that would otherwise be used to grow the game at the grassroots level.
In addition, Commissioner Bettman has said that many teams have been concerned about the impact Olympic participation has on the NHL season in terms of player injuries and the compressed schedule created by the break in February.'
https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-will-not-p ... -288385598

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Sounds like having a World Cup in Jan\Feb - as if that would ever happen.....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, I don’t understand why the clubs, players, agents, major leagues and UEFA haven’t collectively put their foot down and said Qatar is not happening, or that FIFA can hold it with amateur players if they wish to.

The Olympics are tradition though and a big showcase for ice hockey in places it’s less popular, so in this case it’s a massive own goal in not reaching a solution. You’d think players would want to defy the ban anyway.

The Russia issue is a complex one, it’s not as if it’s a small isolated rogue state that has been organising widespread doping. It’s part of a wider geopolitical issue where everyone has to tread carefully to an extent.

Shaggy365
Dumbledore

Post by Shaggy365 »

Nice to see that with Lizzy Yarnold's Gold today, GB have moved ahead of Olympic Athletes from Russia in the medal table, as they haven't a single athlete that is best in the world. A population of over 120 million, yet their sporting prowess seems to have disappeared.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Lizzie Yarnold was apparently the first Brit to retain a Winter Olympic title but I can't recall anybody who has even got 2 medals before. Has there been anybody? Cousins or Curry or Torvill/Dean maybe??? (if they count :wink: ). Pre-war curlers or early bobsledders?

Also our first ever 2 medal haul and our first ever 3 medal day.

Not bad.

(Not sure it counts as winter sports but I also got a Parkrun course PB this 'super saturday' morning despite having to run across patches of snow and ice!)

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

murf wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 15:06 Lizzie Yarnold was apparently the first Brit to retain a Winter Olympic title but I can't recall anybody who has even got 2 medals before. Has there been anybody? Cousins or Curry or Torvill/Dean maybe??? (if they count :wink: ). Pre-war curlers or early bobsledders?

Also our first ever 2 medal haul and our first ever 3 medal day.

Not bad.

(Not sure it counts as winter sports but I also got a Parkrun course PB this 'super saturday' morning despite having to run across patches of snow and ice!)
Torvill and Dean won a bronze in a later Olympics.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Ta. Still only 1 each!

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Great day all around.

Well nearly. Elise Christie seems jinxed I'm afraid.

Anyone see the Czech girl win the women's Super G...on borrowed skis....and who is competing in the snowboard ? Crazy but brilliant 8-)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Yeah, looks like Elise will have to wait for Beijing for redemption... she may be fit to compete in her final event here but it’s a big ask for her to do anything after that.

Three British medals in a day is quite something though, apparently the last time we got two in a single day of Winter Olympic action was 1924! Just imagine what we could do with a proper skeleton track in the UK...

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

3 medals in 1 day. Enjoy it.

After the 1952 Olympics it took another 28 years to win 3 medals. 4 Olympics with nowt and 3 with just 1 medal.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The “new” sports have certainly helped us - skeleton, snowboarding, curling, freestyle skiing and short track speed skating have all been introduced/reintroduced since the 80s. Hard to imagine the Winter Olympics without these now.

Some of the more traditional events have been marginalised - in particular you have to wonder what the point of the long track speed skating is, pretty much only the Dutch care about it any more. Still, they’re not going to the World Cup so I suppose we have to give them something :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 19:07 Yeah, looks like Elise will have to wait for Beijing for redemption... she may be fit to compete in her final event here but it’s a big ask for her to do anything after that.
Mr Chrisite (well bf) took out two Koreans in the men's final, so the local "pressure" will have gone up a bit; and he has shafted my Hungary pick in Shaggy's Comp :evil: :evil: :evil:

Her best event is still to come though...

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

The biathlon was close :shock:

Made compelling viewing. GB doing well in the 2 man bob. The German's can even overturn the bleedin thing and still finish top :?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 09:07
forestfan wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 19:07 Yeah, looks like Elise will have to wait for Beijing for redemption... she may be fit to compete in her final event here but it’s a big ask for her to do anything after that.
Mr Chrisite (well bf) took out two Koreans in the men's final, so the local "pressure" will have gone up a bit; and he has shafted my Hungary pick in Shaggy's Comp :evil: :evil: :evil:

Her best event is still to come though...
She will be half fit at best... not much chance of getting anything even though she will be desperate to have a go.

Maybe she should switch to curling for four years’ time... still, she would probably step on a stone and injure her ankle!

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

She has to give it a go, but yeah she is jinxed, if she got any colour of medal now it would one of those Olympic legend type stories.

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

Tacalabala wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 19:24 She has to give it a go, but yeah she is jinxed, if she got any colour of medal now it would one of those Olympic legend type stories.
Its actually getting a bit painful to watch....

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

bluenosey wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 19:28
Tacalabala wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 19:24 She has to give it a go, but yeah she is jinxed, if she got any colour of medal now it would one of those Olympic legend type stories.
Its actually getting a bit painful to watch....
It must be getting quite painful for her as well, and I can't imagine the Chinese girl from a few nights ago will be pleased to she her either.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

She's getting good at crying though 8-)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

First OAR failed drugs test... in curling :lol:

Which drug helps you put more spin on the stone? Or tell it to stop in the right place?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I hate the idea of being serious here, but Beta Blockers were banned in Snooker ditto Bill W not being able to claim hideous amounts of alcohol in tax relief or something daft......

shame as she could have been the next Angelina :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Falls before 1st bend, then DQ'ed from restart.......

bluenosey
Dumblenose

Post by bluenosey »

blahblah wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 22:34 I hate the idea of being serious here, but Beta Blockers were banned in Snooker ditto Bill W not being able to claim hideous amounts of alcohol in tax relief or something daft......

As an aside

He had a nervous twitch in his hand/arm if I recall and drank copious amounts of beer to remedy the situation. He then tried to claim the alcohol as a tax deductible expense against his earnings. Total legend IMO. It was Neal Foulds who used Betablockers to slow down his heart rate...anyways....

Yep, poor old Elise Christie. It goes from bad to worse but I slightly expectad that :( At least our curlers seem to be doing OK.

Will have to watch the speed skating relay later tonight as that sounds like mayhem :shock:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

bluenosey wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 13:24
blahblah wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 22:34 I hate the idea of being serious here, but Beta Blockers were banned in Snooker ditto Bill W not being able to claim hideous amounts of alcohol in tax relief or something daft......

As an aside

He had a nervous twitch in his hand/arm if I recall and drank copious amounts of beer to remedy the situation. He then tried to claim the alcohol as a tax deductible expense against his earnings. Total legend IMO. It was Neal Foulds who used Betablockers to slow down his heart rate...anyways....

Yep, poor old Elise Christie. It goes from bad to worse but I slightly expectad that :( At least our curlers seem to be doing OK.

Will have to watch the speed skating relay later tonight as that sounds like mayhem :shock:
Do we not have a team in that? That would have given her one more shot at redemption...

I'm waiting for them to invent the luge-skeleton-bobsleigh combined relay!

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Anyway, some suggestions Christie might switch to long track or even track cycling... two years at the latter might get her a medal in the bank before Beijing :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

It was the Final and the Dutch medalled from B Final :lol:

Meldonium and Curling just seems so wrong....

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”