To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Can Kyle Edmund become World Number One ?

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
juckster
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of a mile in another mans shoes pre TW2. Total wins £550 SDT 2011/12.

Can Kyle Edmund become World Number One ?

Post by juckster »

Currently ranked 49th in the world, due to climb up to top 30's after reaching the Australian Open Semi. He's only 22 or 23, strong forehand and improving serve.

Seeing as he hasn't peaked yet physically - is the No 1 spot possible for him ?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Can Kyle Edmund become World Number One ?

Post by blahblah »

He'll be British No 1 rather soon....

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

He seemed to have levelled off at around the 50 mark for a while, so looked like being the sort of British number one we had pre-Henman... but players mature later these days and this tournament shows he has top 10 potential at least.

The next few years are wide open. The old guard are increasingly fragile physically, though still dominant on their day. The touted successors like Zverev and Thiem consistently disappoint on the big occasion after accumulating the ranking points in minor events. There’s certainly scope for a few to jump out of the pack, as we’ve seen here.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

There definitely seems to be a fair few "missed Generations" in the Men's game down to Shopalov et al?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Djokovic, Nadal and Murray all probably finished due to injuries so maybe Edmund can be one of the next generation.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Edmund now heading into the top 20 having beaten Goffin and an admittedly still below par Djokovic in Madrid. Still sounds strange to hear him described as “British number one”...

Nadal has now won 50 consecutive sets on clay :shock: Worth anyone else bothering to turn up at Roland Garros?

Akkerson
FS Record: 53

Post by Akkerson »

blahblah wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 18:26 He'll be British No 1 rather soon....
Yes, he can definitely do this :!:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, he couldn’t see off Djokovic despite a good start. British interest in the singles ends in the first week...

It still seems like the ageing, injury prone trio are a million miles ahead of the rest, if they can hold up physically. How many lost generations will there be until we get some genuine new stars? Same with the women’s game where Serena’s going to walk it as the other seeded players trip over themselves...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Trio? Discounting Murray as out injured?

Zverev should be so very good, but mentally woeful?

Thiem could be the next?

I didn't see Shapovalov get knocked out, but he should have gone deep?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Well, Murray’s barely played for a year, I’m not convinced he will be back at the very top level again.

The younger names you mention, there’s a lot of “should” and “could” about them, they never do it when it matters. Another bunch of mentally weak, comfort zone-inhabiting pretenders just like Dimitrov and the likes who came along before them. In the past if you weren’t winning Grand Slams by 21 you were never likely to, nowadays players are still regarded as young prospects in their mid 20s, when they have earned enough to retire off.

At this rate Federer will still be winning them at 40 if his fitness holds up, an age when he should just be entertaining the Albert Hall and late night Wimbledon crowds with trick shot doubles.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Fed has just signed a 10 Year clothing deal or something?

The problem the "young" ones have is they little hope of beating Nadal on clay or Federer on grass.... Edmund is behind those I mentioned, imho.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 15:44 The problem the "young" ones have is they little hope of beating Nadal on clay or Federer on grass....
Well they should be asking themselves why, given the age advantage... 30 used to be absolutely past it for a male singles player, with rare exceptions.

Perhaps it is like Fergie-era Man Utd, or Tiger Woods for a while... that aura of invincibility, that won’t be shattered until someone takes them down a few times. Maybe we’re just waiting for that one superstar to emerge who will dominate the next decade, but he might not even be on the circuit yet.

Re. Edmund, no complaints if he just ends up a solid top 10 player like Henman was. We’ve been spoilt with having Murray as a serious contender for so long, we might not see his like under the British flag again for half a century.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I think you are being a bit harsh re clay and grass: the people who have beaten Nadal and Fed (respectively) must be very short?

And let's not start on how 5hite the women's game is :lol:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 16:07 I think you are being a bit harsh re clay and grass: the people who have beaten Nadal and Fed (respectively) must be very short?

And let's not start on how 5hite the women's game is :lol:
Fair enough at their peak, but they shouldn’t be this dominant 10 years plus after it.

The women’s game has been in the same state for years, the Williams sisters (mostly just Serena now) winning whenever they are fit/can be bothered, pick a name out of a hat otherwise. The men’s game has now gone the same way with reference to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

The real problem with the women's game is that none of them bar Serena are worth watching as they are all clones, at least the men have Monfils(sp) et al.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

At least five over 30s in the men’s last eight, with 27-year-old Raonic the youngest player remaining...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:04 At least five over 30s in the men’s last eight, with 27-year-old Raonic the youngest player remaining...
Jeepers :shock: :shock: :shock:

And I didn't realise that he was that old :lol:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:16
forestfan wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:04 At least five over 30s in the men’s last eight, with 27-year-old Raonic the youngest player remaining...

Federer 36
Isner 33
Nadal 32
Anderson 32
Djokovic 31
Nishikori 28
Raonic 27
Simon 33 or Del Potro 29

Tennis has a bright future :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:24
blahblah wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:16

Federer 36
Isner 33
Nadal 32
Anderson 32
Djokovic 31
Nishikori 28
Raonic 27
Simon 33 or Del Potro 29

Tennis has a bright future :lol:
Obviously I'm not that into tennis, but FOOOK me re Isner at 33 I thought mid 20's, but then I'd put DP in his 30's.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The infamous Isner-Mahut match was 8 years ago now... probably aged both of them about 5 years in itself :wink:

Del Potro was very young when he first emerged as a contender, could have made it a big five over the past decade had injuries not intervened so often.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 23:15 The infamous Isner-Mahut match was 8 years ago now... probably aged both of them about 5 years in itself :wink:

Del Potro was very young when he first emerged as a contender, could have made it a big five over the past decade had injuries not intervened so often.
8 :oops: :oops:

I think the injuries is why I would have guessed that he was older.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:24 Anderson 32
32 is the new 23?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 17:28
forestfan wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 21:24 Anderson 32
32 is the new 23?
Seems that way. He probably won’t have much left after this though, and a likely one-sided final will be the result... still, I suppose we didn’t need another Federer-Nadal epic on Sunday, the Centre Court crowd can probably watch Nadal or Djokovic take care of AN Other in a couple of hours then go off and watch the day’s main event!

Federer has been written off a few times over the last decade, so will probably be back. Maybe the first week was just too easy for him, you perhaps need a wake-up call early on. Chance for one of his long time rivals to close the Grand Slam titles gap though, still no idea which of them will end up with the most when they’re all finished. Probably Nadal, just because the French is a gimme every year for him if he’s remotely fit, and he could get three or four more there at least.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Hopefully Del Potro beats the server (Anderson, Raonic or Isner).

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”