To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

World Darts 2018

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

World Darts 2018

Post by forestfan »

Always an essential part of Christmas and New Year viewing but this year has really been something special so far... big names falling all over the place, and newcomers and journeyman veterans alike having their moments of glory.

Even the seemingly invincible MVG looked far from that in his match last night - "I played crap" was his assessment after scraping through averaging a mere 100. Is everything falling into place for Phil Taylor to sign off with a 17th title, or will he be the next to stumble?

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Re: World Darts 2018

Post by Mo Bot »

As much as there have been a few surprises, MVG vs Anderson is still pretty likely for the final unless Taylor can pull something out the bag or even Barney at a push tomorrow.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Mo Bot wrote: 28 Dec 2017, 18:57 As much as there have been a few surprises, MVG vs Anderson is still pretty likely for the final unless Taylor can pull something out the bag or even Barney at a push tomorrow.
Yeah, still looks odds on for that but hard to really predict anything this year... the Dutch derby will test MVG more than most potential draws at this stage. Rob Cross looks the wildcard bet, some have compared his rise to that of Taylor in 1990.

I wouldn't like to be the person picking next year's Premier League line-up, in a lot of recent years there have been 7 or 8 who picked themselves and then they just added a couple of lambs to the slaughter... with no Taylor and a few of the other big names out of sorts there's a number of potential vacancies this time around. If there's a few newcomers then it might make it a bit easier for them all.

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

Yeah, apart from MVG, Wright and Anderson, the rest are up for grabs. With the absence of Taylor, RVB would get in on fame alone but the other 6 might be a mix of up and comers with some old timers making up the numbers.

Suljovic
Cross
Gurney
Price
Wade
Lewis

Anyone else? Maybe the losing semi finalist on the Taylor/Anderson side of the draw?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Mo Bot wrote: 28 Dec 2017, 19:32 Yeah, apart from MVG, Wright and Anderson, the rest are up for grabs. With the absence of Taylor, RVB would get in on fame alone but the other 6 might be a mix of up and comers with some old timers making up the numbers.

Suljovic
Cross
Gurney
Price
Wade
Lewis

Anyone else? Maybe the losing semi finalist on the Taylor/Anderson side of the draw?
A Lewis or J Lewis? That could depend on the current match :wink:

If someone little known makes the semis they may well be in, but I guess they will have to decide whether said player has the ability to play at the top level week in week out. If it's someone who has scraped through with 90 averages because other players haven't turned up or have missed a load of doubles then they would obviously be out of their depth.

Mo Bot
Dumbledore

Post by Mo Bot »

J Lewis at this rate. Should be an epic night tonight.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Not checked the draw, does Fat Belly meet Even Fatter Belly in the semis or final?

Mo Bot
Dumbledore

Post by Mo Bot »

murf wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 15:15 Not checked the draw, does Fat Belly meet Even Fatter Belly in the semis or final?
Not sure exactly which ones you're referring to but all 4 semi-finalists will have "presence".

Van Den Bergh/Cross v MVG/RVB
Jamie Lewis v Taylor/Anderson

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Mo Bot wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 15:35
murf wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 15:15 Not checked the draw, does Fat Belly meet Even Fatter Belly in the semis or final?
Not sure exactly which ones you're referring to but all 4 semi-finalists will have "presence".

Van Den Bergh/Cross v MVG/RVB
Jamie Lewis v Taylor/Anderson
Jamie Lewis isn’t very fat, unlike his namesake...

I think Taylor will win it after getting through tonight, MVG isn’t firing on all cylinders and it will be a unique atmosphere assuming those two make the final. I wouldn’t be surprised if he signs up to a Premier League farewell tour afterwards, the Hearns will make it worth his while financially.

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Would love Taylor to win it, but van Gerwen will put him away in the final.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Latic wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 22:56 Would love Taylor to win it, but van Gerwen will put him away in the final.
Less than a point between their averages tonight, it’s a coin flip. Although the other two are playing at a level where they could still have a say, they’re certainly no flukey Kirk Shepherds.

Latic
FISO Knight

Post by Latic »

Taylor looks knackered :lol: That's the only thing that swung it for me. Great to see him enjoying it tonight and taking it all in.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Latic wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 23:06 Taylor looks knackered :lol: That's the only thing that swung it for me. Great to see him enjoying it tonight and taking it all in.
I guess there is that, he’s 57 and has to play two potentially even longer matches in the next three days to win it... he’s impossible to write off though.

Latic
FISO Knight

Post by Latic »

forestfan wrote: 29 Dec 2017, 23:13 he’s impossible to write off though.
Absolutely :) He certainly still has it. Will make for fascinating viewing on New Years Day.

Mo Bot
Dumbledore

Post by Mo Bot »

6-1 flattered Taylor and he knew it. The days rest would have been a huge benefit but I feel whoever wins the other semi will need time to recover. Epic match going on just now. Cross has more than matched MVG

Latic
FISO Knight

Post by Latic »

Wow. Great semi. That 10th set! Taylor must be happy.

Thought the crowd whistling was f**king disgraceful and should have been stamped out. I reckon than put van Gerwen off.

Mo Bot
Dumbledore

Post by Mo Bot »

Best darts match I’ve ever seen I reckon. Very poor from the crowd. Not just the booing but the folk whistling just as MVG was throwing are just scumbags

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The Power v Voltage...lights out?

I’ll say Taylor to win 7-2 then announce he will play the Premier League.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Latic wrote: 31 Dec 2017, 00:19 Wow. Great semi. That 10th set! Taylor must be happy.

Thought the crowd whistling was f**king disgraceful and should have been stamped out. I reckon than put van Gerwen off.
Mo Bot wrote: Best darts match I’ve ever seen I reckon. Very poor from the crowd. Not just the booing but the folk whistling just as MVG was throwing are just scumbags

I don't like MVG. Was really gutted when Barney went out, as he carries himself with a Lowe like dignity. That being said, MVG shouldn't have to put up with the booing/abuse and there was one spectator whistling far too loud. The authorities should have stepped in and ejected the idiot. It's probably same old, same old people get far too p*ssed drinking all night and lose control of their brains :?

Greatest darts match ever ? Wasn't quite Taylor Gregory for me but a great game. Reckon Cross will be knackered now and Taylor will win. Hope he does retire and doesn't u-turn. I'm not a massive fan but he's help make the game - a fitting way to bow out.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I just thought his saying that it would be the nightmare result for the Hearns for him to win as they wouldn’t have the world champion on tour might have been a thinly disguised “make me a financial offer I can’t refuse and I’ll carry on”.

I suspect they will leave a Premier League place vacant for a couple of weeks to try and persuade him. In terms of other tournaments a Ronnie O’Sullivan-style “play when you want to” approach may entice him.

Latic
FISO Knight

Post by Latic »

4-1 as I type and Cross has broken in the 6th. All over. Great darts from Cross but sad to see such a champ dismantled like this.

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

6-1 and Taylor is just being battered.

Good to see MVG is going to get nowhere near Taylors record with Rob Cross around.

golden bear
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 9 Ball Champ, Incidental and murfs Knockout Cups Winner

Post by golden bear »

I won’t miss Taylor.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Got the scoreline right at least :wink:

Great to see a new name on the scene at the very top, it’s a remarkable rise. Looks like MVG will have a long term rival beyond the ageing Anderson and Wright.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”