To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Rio Olympics

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: Rio Olympics

Post by unc.si. »

seems a bit flat now the cyclings finished.

Anyone see this?

She stayed on, despite doing a wall of death ride up the (vertical) advertising hoarding to avoid a crash.

Also:

:lol: :lol:

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Gatlin doesn't make the 200m final.

What a shame :D

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

unc.si. wrote:Gatlin doesn't make the 200m final.

bigger, that's disappointing. :P

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:
unc.si. wrote:Gatlin doesn't make the 200m final.

bigger, that's disappointing. :P
Good to see the cheat screw up, though not sure who can push Bolt to run a decent time now. De Grasse looks like the only one capable of being in the same postcode as him on the finishing straight... bronze is wide open, with the other Jamaicans flopping as well.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

The men's BMX.

Brutal, absolutely brutal :shock: :lol:

but lovin' it :D

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

21 golds for Team GB now... any chance of the eight more needed to match London?

Big prospects still to come - Jade Jones, Nicola Adams, Mo Farah in 5k, women's hockey... not sure how many others, but always a chance of a surprise one or two like with the kayaker early on. China will close the gap to one with the current diving event, that battle's going down to the wire it seems.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

Can't see us matching the gold count from London, but overall medals is a shot.

In addition to those you mention, I think we have medal chances in the womens triathlon, men's modern pentathlon, an additional female and male taekwondo chance, plus the super heavy weight boxing, one more in the canoe sprints and tom daley in the 10m platform diving.

Footy66
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2x Weekly Mini League Winner 2010-2011, 1 x WDT top 100 2011-2012.

Post by Footy66 »

Race for 2nd place in the medal table:

Chances of Gold medals.....Great Britain lead by 1 + have a lot more Silvers. So the Chinese will at least have to get 2 more Golds to catch up......

China:

-Badminton: Mens and Women in singles final/semi final
-Boxing: Several in a final/semi finals
-Diving: Mens 10m platform.

Great Britain:

-5k: Mo Farah
-Boxing: Nicola Adams in Final
-Boxing: Joe Joyce in Semi-Final
-Taekwondo: Jade Jones in Final
-Hockey: Women in Final
-Golf: Currently 3rd in Women's Golf after 2 days.
-Triathlon: We have 2nd best female Triathlete in the world (I think)

There is probably some Gold medal chances I have missed out as I am not aware of everything that is going on. You never know with relays as batons can be dropped, baton exchanges being messed up, so could be a surprise in a relay.

A lot of events have finished and a lot of remaining sporting events don't make me think of China as being good at them.

It's going to be close for that 2nd place. What an achievement to beat China to 2nd place though. Wow! Hope it happens.

I'd like to think we can get at least 3 more Golds.
Last edited by Footy66 on 18 Aug 2016, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Subject to the baton surviving, we should get a relay medal?

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

blahblah wrote:Subject to the baton surviving, we should get a relay medal?
Women looking good in 4 x 100m for a medal. Hopefully the likes of USA and Jamaica balls-up the baton changes, but even if not - hopefully we get Bronze.

Not sure about our 4 x 400m chances.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Footy66 wrote:
blahblah wrote:Subject to the baton surviving, we should get a relay medal?
Women looking good in 4 x 100m for a medal. Hopefully the likes of USA and Jamaica balls-up the baton changes, but even if not - hopefully we get Bronze.

Not sure about our 4 x 400m chances.
If Rooney doesn't "run like a dick" this time, we might have a chance...

The 4x1's both look very competitive, suspect we need to rely on others messing up to get amongst the medals. Likely to be USA, Jamaica plus one in each case if everyone gets it round.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I guess a few dicks dribble better than Wooney :lol:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The Irish boxer has surely stolen gold from him in the sweariest interview competition, anyway...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I missed it, but I couldn't help but smile as an Irish judge was one of the 3 in the 3-0 Russian win in the 91kg (against a Kahak, or Uzbekki) which really stank the place out.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Have seen some articles about our success at the Olympics and the surprise around the world by it, with people asking why we are doing so much better than other countries.

I think it's simple. We are a country that LOVES sport and always has done. We invented many sports for a start. Just look at the crowds you get at sporting events across the country. Silverstone easily gets the most F1 fans of all the F1 races. I believe Wimbledon is the only tennis tournament in the world in which crowds queue overnight, camping to get tickets. Look at the rows and rows of people that come out on the street to watch the London marathon. Look at the London Olympics, tickets sold out all over the place for even the most minor of sports. Apparently the London Olympics was the only Olympics to sell out of all tickets to morning Athletics sessions. Rio in comparison has been dead in terms of spectators.

We have....

F1: Current World Champion.

Golf: Current Masters + Olympic Champions. 3 x Golfers in world top 10.

Tennis: Current Davis Cup Holders + Wimbledon + Olympic Champion. Singles World no.2. Doubles ranked no.1 player.

Cycling: Current Tour De France Champion and world dominant track cycling team.

Boxing: Current World Heavyweight Champion + many other top class boxers across many weight divisions + best female boxer in the world.

Olympics: Currently 2nd place ahead of China!

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Gemili was so unlucky, really felt for him as he seems a genuinely nice guy.

Sharp looking good in the 800, obviously no chance of the gold but maybe in the mix for a medal.

Loved watching Jade Jones. Absolutely brilliant all the way through, Jade Jones, Laura Trott, Nicola Adams, Kate Richardson-Walsh and Charlotte Dujardin, what amazing role models from all different walks of life for young girls going into sport.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Footy66 wrote: Apparently the London Olympics was the only Olympics to sell out of all tickets to morning Athletics sessions. Rio in comparison has been dead in terms of spectators.
I saw yesterday that only 12% of tickets have been sold for the Paralympics.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Gemili really unlucky there, if it was swimming he, Lemaitre and Martina would all have shared that bronze!

We do seem to have a lot of nearly men and women in athletics though, I fear once Mo, Jess and Greg are gone we'll be really struggling for global medal prospects for a few years, hopefully another star or two will emerge before Tokyo.

Looks like that was Bolt's 200m farewell. Probably another outing over the shorter distance in London next year, but athletics as a whole needs to find some new stars, he's kept it in the global spotlight almost single-handedly over the last decade and nobody can replace that, the sport needs a new strategy. It's no longer the dominant presence of old even at the Olympics, with a number of other sports now competing for top billing instead of being week one sideshows.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I thought that there were rumblings about us having too many 4th places in the first week? So plenty to improve a lil bit and medal next time?

The female hammer bod is 7-8(?) years younger than those above her, so in theory favourite for the next one?

Athletics, apart from being quite dull, is almost certainly drug-riddled so it has little credibility?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

I don't think 4th and 5th places necessarily point to future medals... there are exceptions re. late career peaks (Kelly Holmes for example) but most who are going to get to the top do so at an early age, then either fade away or maintain it over years to become greats. Anyone who misses out and talks about 4 years' time... well there's another whole generation going to emerge before then, you can go from next big thing to also-ran very quickly (KJT perhaps?)

Athletics shouldn't be dull, there's such variety of events going on at the same time, but we see so few clashes between the best outside the Olympics/Worlds that the traditional circuit can be a hard sell, and I'm not sure how they can restore that balance. As for the drugs, I don't expect it's any better or worse than other speed/endurance sports these days in that regard, though certain individual events seem to have recurring issues.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

With everything that Bolt has done for Athletics, I think him winning everything is getting boring now.....

Beijing - it was like - WOW, this guy is insane!

London - it was like - I can't wait to see this guy again, he's entertaining, hope he smashes some world records.

Rio - Yawn - he's going to win. Same thing happens, he wins by miles and pisses about as he crosses the line.

It's got to the stage where it would be good to see a close battle amongst the rest of the 100 metre / 200 metre runners and let them have some limelight. Let Bolt sip Pina Colada's back in Jamaica. But I would not be surprised if he races in Tokyo.....he is still miles ahead of the others, he probably could still beat them in 4 years time at age 33.

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Watching show-jumping.....not my thing....but maybe a medal here...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Medal guaranteed... we've had a 16-year-old and now a 58-year-old register for us in Rio!

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Never been excited about show jumping before, but I did punch the air when that last rider hit the fence :mrgreen:

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Helps towards us finishing 2nd in the medal table. An unexpected medal there.

This Taekwondo dude of ours looks pretty lethal, into the quarters.

Joe Joyce just stormed into Heavyweight final defeating the favourite. So another unexpected potential gold there.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Mav3rick wrote:Never been excited about show jumping before, but I did punch the air when that last rider hit the fence :mrgreen:
Oldest gold medallist since 1908! Team GB making history just about everywhere here... more success in boxing and taekwondo looks on the cards as well.

In terms of the coverage... the constant channel hopping of the BBC's main show has bordered on the ridiculous. Half an hour here, an hour there... why can't they put the likes of EastEnders on BBC2 for a couple of weeks? :evil:

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

forestfan wrote:
Mav3rick wrote:Never been excited about show jumping before, but I did punch the air when that last rider hit the fence :mrgreen:
Oldest gold medallist since 1908! Team GB making history just about everywhere here... more success in boxing and taekwondo looks on the cards as well.

In terms of the coverage... the constant channel hopping of the BBC's main show has bordered on the ridiculous. Half an hour here, an hour there... why can't they put the likes of EastEnders on BBC2 for a couple of weeks? :evil:
Agree. Just about to speak to Joe Joyce after his victory and had to swap (not channels) over to A RECORDING of the Nick Skelton medal ceremony. I could understand if it was live but not a recording.

As for Nick Skelton that is the performance of the games for me. When I was a young kid and showjumping used to regularly be on the telly this guy was riding then, 30 odd years later here he is :shock: To be at the top of his game for so long is remarkable enough, but to win Olympic Gold is truly incredible.

How much for SPOTY? Let's not forget Zara won it a few years ago when the horsey brigade voted for her about a 1000 times each.

Well done Nick Skelton!

Footy66
Dumbledore

Post by Footy66 »

Dennisthemenace wrote:As for Nick Skelton that is the performance of the games for me. When I was a young kid and showjumping used to regularly be on the telly this guy was riding then, 30 odd years later here he is :shock: To be at the top of his game for so long is remarkable enough, but to win Olympic Gold is truly incredible.

How much for SPOTY? Let's not forget Zara won it a few years ago when the horsey brigade voted for her about a 1000 times each.

Well done Nick Skelton!

Exactly what I was thinking.....Zara won it a few years back which was a surprise to me. So had to put a fiver on Skelton to win Spoty while the showjumping was taking place. I have bets on others to win SPOTY and like to cover other potential contenders off....

I don't think he'd win it. But I don't really know much about Show Jumping / Nick Skelton. But base on Zara and people keep on saying how they used to idolise this guy, it wouldn't surprise me.

I put money on him during the final at 100-1. Seems he's still 100-1. Weird.

Probably because no1 is putting bets on him.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Hockey Women get gold.

I remember as a kid that a Brit in a Final was worthy os a Street Party.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote:Hockey Women get gold.

I remember as a kid that a Brit in a Final was worthy os a Street Party.
Yeah, remember the men, Sean Kerly and co. taking gold in Seoul in the first Olympics I watched... we hadn't got better than a bronze since with either team I think, this will give the sport a massive lift.

24 golds now. Mo, Lutalo, two boxers in finals? Can we find one more from somewhere, does Tom Daley have a chance or are the Chinese too good in his event?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”