To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

England test cricket

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: England test cricket

Post by blahblah »

To be fair to the ECB: he had left 2 people unconscious in hospital, one with a broken eye socket. One is ex army, so a tad handy in a fight?

Suspension until the Court Case is reasonable, imho. To represent our country and be in court within days is wrong, imho.

I can't help but think that a footballer would have had more bad press for doing the same.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

He needed to own up, show some remorse and apologise - to then have any chance.

The video evidence and witness statements and injuries sustained by those involved stack up overwhelmingly against him.

It now looks increasingly likely that he’s attempted (maybe on advice) to concoct some hero story to turn this situation around. That and the fact he shows no humility / humbleness after the recent Test win, instead attacking the detractors - says an awful lot about his flawed character.

Of course a defence will be made as Liquid has stated and I’m sure there is some confidence in this defence, and he may well get off - but wouldn’t change anything for me in terms of how I’m seeing this.
Last edited by Edmondson on 07 Aug 2018, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

blahblah wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 23:40 To be fair to the ECB: he had left 2 people unconscious in hospital, one with a broken eye socket. One is ex army, so a tad handy in a fight?

Suspension until the Court Case is reasonable, imho. To represent our country and be in court within days is wrong, imho.

I can't help but think that a footballer would have had more bad press for doing the same.

The legal advice received was unequivocal, suspension was probably the wrong action to take at that early stage anyway from a legal point of view and to prolong such an action could have been calamitous for the ECB.

Suspension until the court case was totally unreasonable in the view of their lawyers and they acted accordingly.

It wouldn't be much consolation after losing a lawsuit to think well at least it was right in our opinion, as the effects of that previous suspension are still being felt even now and may well inhibit any further action.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Edmondson wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 23:49 He needed to own up, show some remorse and apologise - to then have any chance.

The video evidence and witness statements and injuries sustained by those involved stack up overwhelmingly against him.

It now looks increasingly likely that he’s attempted (maybe on advice) to concoct some hero story to turn this situation around. That and the fact he shows no humility / humbleness after the recent Test win, instead attacking the detractors - says an awful lot about his flawed character.

Of course a defence will be made as Liquid has stated and I’m sure there is some confidence in this defence, and he may well get off - but wouldn’t change anything for me in terms of how I’m seeing this.

Yes possibly as you've made your mind up on hearing only the prosecution's case.

The prosecution will invariably slant the facts to support their case, any facts that won't or that are inconvenient or even nuanced enough so as not to paint the defendant in the darkest light are just left for the defence to pick up later.

The prosecution's job is not one of giving a fair or particularly accurate account of the causes and actions, but rather one that will leave out any relevant information not fitting their agenda, which is namely that of convincing the jurors of his guilt and painting him to be the darkest most evil character they can.

To judge after that is unfair and ridiculous imo.

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

I'm guessing my ticket for day 4 has now become a day 3 ticket.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

There is an ongoing ECB investigation into Ben Stokes which was put on hold pending the outcome of his court case.

The ECB apparently were careful to say that Stokes wasn't suspended for the last ashes, just not selected, which is really splitting legal hairs and just on their lawyers advice, their lawyers gave them unequivocal advice that they shouldn't continue that 'suspension' and possibly made a mistake in the first place. Many now think it could seriously come back to haunt them as it has to at least be taken into account, If they are to consider 'further' disciplinary action despite the verdict in the civil courts. They may argue the burden of proof is far greater in the civil courts and the guilty threshold far higher and they can act on the balance of probabilities alone.

Now he is cleared, the ECB committee should reconvene within 48 hours, with a verdict reached within a week which would then needs to be rubber stamped by a full committee. I'm fairly sure that's not set in stone and could be done far more expeditiously.

So whatever the outcome he's highly unlikely to be considered for Trent Bridge.

If he was somehow available however, then the two young lads, Curran and Pope, would almost certainly be vulnerable. At Trent Bridge, where the seamers usually make hay, dropping spinner Rashid is another option.

Is Stokes a better batsman than Pope at five or six? Probably if on form, and is he also a better cricketer than Curran atm, despite his great start? Again yes. I personally would like to see Bairstow at four even if it means giving the gloves to Buttler.

Whether after sitting through a court case with all the natural anxiety and tension that would inevitably involve, he would be mentally prepared to play in the next test anyway, is another question?

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

Fantastic defence from Stokes. It certainly wasn't clear from the video that he was acting in self defence, guess it just shows how misleading those kind of videos taken at the scene can be. Glad he came through unscathed from what could have been a nasty attack and must have been frustrating for him to then have accusations thrown at him, as if he were the aggressor. At least he has now cleared his name. Maybe once he joins back up with the England squad they can all go out on a massive bender to celebrate with him. :)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”