To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Darren Clarke Ryder Cup captain

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Darren Clarke Ryder Cup captain

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote:
blahblah wrote:Big WOW to the Phil\Sergio putts on the last
10 birdies for Phil but still only a half! What a match that was.

Really want to see Sergio win a major one day, a great competitor, still a few years for him I guess but like Monty, Poulter and Westwood it seems he's destined to have his legacy mostly in the team event.
Those three had mental issues re winning - with Fat Monty demonstrating his with his commentary on Sky - streaming has the advantages of NBC, lol, and their bods are quite good and far more neutral than Ewan et al. He was more interested in ways to lose and difficulties, ditto Poulter and Westwood was always a bit of a choker, imho (with a fragile swing, and putter, under real pressure). re Monty and Poulter: any golfer that says they need to hit a number in Round 2 is piling the pressure on when they just need to be in "position" aas it is all about the last back 9's....

If Sergio had won (Lawries'?) Open he could have won a few more, but his putting is strangely poor, not to mention the pre-stroke fiddling, which has lessened recently? that said, both of those are more mental than physical abilities? Shame as he does seem like a decent bloke, unlike a fair few golfers nowadays.

As above I haven't paid Murdoch for years and Europe are actually quite poor this time - but Pieters looks like he is going to be immense, imho. Good set up\stroke and head...

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

The quality from the top men on both sides was really high, it's just that the Americans' lesser players found ways to contribute and Europe's didn't.

Now the task for the USA is to register their first away win in a quarter of a century... who will Europe give the job of winning it back to? We'll be spoilt for choice over the next decade or so with Westwood, Poulter, Stenson, Garcia and Rose all getting to that sort of age... but none of those will be likely to write off their playing ambitions yet. Which leaves the likes of Jimenez, Thomas Bjorn, Paul Lawrie perhaps? Surely not a Frenchman for Paris? (maybe one will qualify as a player...)

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

blahblah wrote:
forestfan wrote:
blahblah wrote:Big WOW to the Phil\Sergio putts on the last
10 birdies for Phil but still only a half! What a match that was.

Really want to see Sergio win a major one day, a great competitor, still a few years for him I guess but like Monty, Poulter and Westwood it seems he's destined to have his legacy mostly in the team event.
Those three had mental issues re winning - with Fat Monty demonstrating his with his commentary on Sky - streaming has the advantages of NBC, lol, and their bods are quite good and far more neutral than Ewan et al. He was more interested in ways to lose and difficulties, ditto Poulter and Westwood was always a bit of a choker, imho (with a fragile swing, and putter, under real pressure). re Monty and Poulter: any golfer that says they need to hit a number in Round 2 is piling the pressure on when they just need to be in "position" aas it is all about the last back 9's....

If Sergio had won (Lawries'?) Open he could have won a few more, but his putting is strangely poor, not to mention the pre-stroke fiddling, which has lessened recently? that said, both of those are more mental than physical abilities? Shame as he does seem like a decent bloke, unlike a fair few golfers nowadays.

As above I haven't paid Murdoch for years and Europe are actually quite poor this time - but Pieters looks like he is going to be immense, imho. Good set up\stroke and head...
Would that be fifty time tour winner, Colin Montgomerie? :lol:

And Sergio lost to Harrington.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

They had more top end quality, though and their bottom 6 are far superior?

As above, I don't watch golf regularly anymore (so I am a tad ignorant here) but we had Sullivan, Wood and Fitzpatrick auto-selected, yet Clarke clearly didn't rate them. Willetts, who hasn't done much since Augusta?

Then 2 of Clarke's 3 picks were (predictably ?) poor, which is half a team - Casey was ineligible? But surely rules should have been bent? What happened to Donald?

To think that there was a time when Sandy fessed up to not playing well enough to be picked....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Maldini wrote:

And how many would Mrs Doubtfire swap for a Major? The only time that he got close he went out in the morning and a mad ass wind picked up as he walked off the 18th. He, like Poulter, piled the pressure on themselves............. It is similar to Tiger never having won a Major when not leading after the 3rd Round. He thnks he has\had to shoot a very low score (ie to beat himself in the lead) rather than let them come back to him. Remember Jack's last Masters?

Wasn't Sergio in the play off after van der Thingy took a daft number on the last?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

The fact Clarke was landed with so many auto-qualifying rookies was always going to make him lean towards experience in his picks. Maybe they need to back-end weight the points a bit more to get form players, but someone who has won a major in the year still has to be guaranteed a place, surely?

If Casey wouldn't join the European Tour to be eligible he was clearly saying he didn't care about playing, so to bend the rules for something like that would have caused uproar among other players. Not sure about Donald, don't think he's done much for a few years? Knox was the form man who wasn't taken, but again it seemed his lack of commitment to the Euro tour cost him. Maybe a wildcard big character like Beef Johnston might have taken to it like a duck to water...

Will be interesting to see how many of these rookies are back and how many prove to be flash in the pan, one cup wonders. There's a few names from the last couple of times that seem to have disappeared without trace.

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

blahblah wrote:
Maldini wrote:

And how many would Mrs Doubtfire swap for a Major? The only time that he got close he went out in the morning and a mad ass wind picked up as he walked off the 18th. He, like Poulter, piled the pressure on themselves............. It is similar to Tiger never having won a Major when not leading after the 3rd Round. He thnks he has\had to shoot a very low score (ie to beat himself in the lead) rather than let them come back to him. Remember Jack's last Masters?

Wasn't Sergio in the play off after van der Thingy took a daft number on the last?
Montgomerie finished runner up in three of the four majors. Augusta was completely wrong for his game.

Keep going though blah, it's always entertaining reading your nonsense. :lol:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote:
Maldini wrote:

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantou ... index.html

Close, he came last of the non-withdrawals, shooting 89 and 83 :lol:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Obviously Willets had to have a place. I was more stating the obvious, rather than moaning and maybe we have had it coming?

Shame Phil didn't get the winning point\half as he was right to speak out after last time, imho.

re what Wood, Sullivan et al will do in the future, I sense that Reed could well disappear until a fair few Ryder Cups time, then come back, like Holmes.

What happened to Maturazzi(sp ?) and the brothers, one of whom couldn't putt?

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote: What happened to Maturazzi(sp ?)
Don't think he ever really recovered from that Zidane headbutt :wink:

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Maldini wrote:
blahblah wrote:
Maldini wrote:

Montgomerie finished runner up in three of the four majors. Augusta was completely wrong for his game.

Keep going though blah, it's always entertaining reading your nonsense. :lol:
But Garcia missed a 3' foot putt in the one that he threw away?

The only one Mrs Doubtfire had a chance of winning is where he set a morning target and the wind picked up big style. US Open more likely than PGA by the sea. He was finished before the tv coverage really started and another he threw away on the front 9 in a tree lined US course. Not a clue about the third, but I doubt that he was a competitive 3rd. However, in the Ryder Cup, where all he had to worry about was the other bal(s), he was OK mentally.....

Maldini
Dumbledore

Darren Clarke Ryder Cup captain

Post by Maldini »

Why would world no.8 Patrick Reed disappear for a few?

And Monty was runner up in majors five times btw. ;)
Last edited by Maldini on 02 Oct 2016, 22:53, edited 1 time in total.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

forestfan wrote:
His best days were behind him by then?

What about the young Italian golfer? :lol:

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

blahblah wrote:
forestfan wrote:

Do you mean this bloke?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matteo_Manassero

Seem to remember he was supposed to be a superstar, thought he played in a Ryder Cup but apparently not. Still young enough to fulfil his potential I guess?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Yep, that's the bunny - seems to have imploded?

The Bear
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Would be alot better but for Andy L & E !

Post by The Bear »

forestfan wrote:
blahblah wrote:
forestfan wrote:

Do you mean this bloke?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matteo_Manassero

Seem to remember he was supposed to be a superstar, thought he played in a Ryder Cup but apparently not. Still young enough to fulfil his potential I guess?
Since winning the flagship European Event at Wentworth 3 years he has been trying to gain more yards of his driving etc and it has affected his game really badly

The Bear
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Bear »

Although its exciting to see loads of birdies I thought the course was set up way too easy - no rough at all and pins in the middle of the green. I would imagine the French course (which is already considered difficult) will be set up hard in 2 years time to combat the Americans extra length and hot putting skills.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

The Americans putted better in the end.

Westwood missing that put in the fourballs didn't help set us up for the final day but we were short on experience at the tail end pf the singles (Wood, Willett, Sullivan)

As for Clarke, well, he was up against it. Pieters was amazing and a real find. Think that's the last we've seen of Westwood. He's been a great Ryder Cup servant but his achilles heel - his putting - has been his undoing. Kaymer was below par but will figure again. Russell Knox hard done by too miss out. Perhaps a tournament too early for Matthew Fitzpatrick. Europe consisted of six rookies (?) so it was always going to be tough. PJ Willett's comments turned out to be right but it was badly timed that they were released just before the tournament. That was the USA team talk done. Brother Danny looked a mess unfortunately. Rose was another out of sorts with his putter.

Sergio was absolutely immense against Mickleson. Without doubt the best match up and pleased that it finished all square. Didn't deserve a loser. So Sergio will probably figure in 2018.

Reed was the American version of Poulter and when he played Rory, it was like who would explode first. McIlroy ran out of steam in the end. Reed set his team up a treat and whooped the fans into a frenzy.

One thing not mentioned is how much better USA are without Tiger Woods. Much more of a team. I'm happy for the likes of Mickleson and Bubba and also fitting that the USA win following the death of Arnold Palmer. Still it's only three wins for them in about 20 years ? We'll see how good the Americans are in Paris in 2018.

The Bear
Grumpy Old Man

Post by The Bear »

Yeah doubt we will be seeing Westwood Donald Poulter Mcdowell again - Kaymer young enough to get his game back again although he has been struggling big time this last year - doubt Casey will play again either ( not particularly popular so cant see him rejoining the European Tour to be considered) .

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”