To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Oscar Pistorius shoots and kills girlfriend

A forum for discussion on Sports (apart from Football) matters not involving fantasy issues.
foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Re: Oscar Pistorius shoots and kills girlfriend

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

I don't think he was expecting that, he probably went weak at the knees when he heard it.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:I don't think he was expecting that, he probably went weak at the knees when he heard it.

He murdered his girlfriend in a fit of anger and got away with it. He thinks he will be under house arrest after 10 months so is probably quite happy with the result.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Surprised wrote:
foxinthebox2001 wrote:I don't think he was expecting that, he probably went weak at the knees when he heard it.
He murdered his girlfriend in a fit of anger and got away with it. He thinks he will be under house arrest after 10 months so is probably quite happy with the result.
You can be excused missing such a poor gag :wink:

The weak sentence is, in a way, bad for OP as there will probably now be an appeal by the prosecution against the not guilty on the more serious charge(s).

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

Surprised wrote:

Oh dear :lol:

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

What a farce :twisted:

He'll be out pronto and Reeva's family will never get the closure they deserve.

If he would have been an unknown black man, he'd be swinging from the gallows by now.

OJ Simpson case mirrored for me.

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

The jails must me mighty full for only 1/6 of time to be served inside. The judge went on and on and on and in the end whatever she came up with was going to be relatively irrelevant under that criterion. 10 months writing the book to get him out of the financial difficulties he's supposed to be in will fit in nicely for OP .. I would guess the word murder will appear in the title to boost sales.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

Hope someone accidentally kills him whilst he's taking a sh*t during his first week inside.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore
FS Record: Best fpl finish 233 in 14/15

Post by liquidfootball2 »

South African state to appeal both the conviction and sentence of Oscar Pistorius. During the trial state prosecutor Gerrie Nel had argued that any sentence under ten years could lead to a widespread loss of faith in the justice system. He had been convicted on the lesser charge of culpable homicide after the judge surprised many by finding him not guilty of second degree murder.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Details of the appeal have not yet released, but South African criminal lawyers have expressed shock that the presiding judge Masipa found Pistorius could not have foreseen that someone would die when he fired the shots.

South Africans had also criticised Masipa's five-year sentence as too lenient after it emerged Pistorius may be eligible for parole in less than a year.

The prosecution contends her interpretation of modus eventualis and her dismissal of second degree murder on the grounds of no intent, as he claimed he didn't know who was in the bathroom, was a serious error. They maintain that in second degree murder he doesn't need to know who it is, but the intent to kill whoever it was, and it's on this point they claim that shooting bullets through the bathroom door at point blank range was likely to be fatal to whoever was in there.

The judge Masipa ruled the fact he didn't know who it was ruled it out.The state has consulted leading lawyers who have apparently advised that this is a serious error of judgement.

If Masipa allows the appeal it could be heard in the high court in Pretoria by a panel of three judges.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Oscar Pistorius' conviction for killing his girlfriend has been changed from manslaughter to murder.

An appeals judge said the original verdict was "flawed" and the athlete will now be re-sentenced by the original court and will almost certainly go back to jail

A murder conviction carries a much heftier sentence: a minimum of 15 years in South Africa.

Justice Leach said Pistorius must have foreseen that firing into the small toilet cubicle would have led to death - but went ahead anyway.

http://news.sky.com/story/1599031/oscar ... -to-murder

sleuth
Dumbledore

Post by sleuth »

Lock him up and throw away the key.

Murderer.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

sleuth wrote:Lock him up and throw away the key.

Murderer.
+1 (to a Dot post :shock: :D )

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

I assumed it would be a re-trial if the appeal went against him...

Guess he misses Rio and Tokyo at least! Fair chance he won't ever get out at all now, especially if they throw him in with the "ordinary" prisoners this time.

AkNotSpur
Dumbledore
FS Record: 2nd YTM 09/10; 3 TFFO Top 10 finishes; 6th TFCI 2008.

Post by AkNotSpur »

AkNotSpur wrote:
Tacalabala wrote:As I understand it, the logic behind it is that because he couldn't see the intruder, he therefore couldn't aim with any accuracy and therefore he is negligent rather than premeditated in his actions. Premeditation requires that one has the ability and conditions to carry out an action.
Of course Pistorious had the ability and conditions to carry out the act of killing - because that's precisely what he did (actus reus). The fact that he killed her isn't in doubt.

The only really debatable question is whether he knew who was in the bathroom - because, to be guilty of murder, the prosecution has to prove - beyond reasonable doubt - that the accused intended (mens rea), by those actions, to kill the deceased person.

However, in my opinion it's very hard to come to the conclusion that he didn't want to kill whoever was in the bathroom. To say that wasn't a foreseeable consequence of his actions is risible.
...and the Appeal Court judge agreed.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Sentenced this week - mitigation started today, the defence called a psychologist who in puzzling testimony said Oscar was so traumatised by ptsd that he would be unable to testify on his own behalf this week in court.

Gerrie Nel (for the prosecution) then inquired that if he was so traumatised why then was he able to give such a full in depth interview to a TV company only last week and the court should be hearing from him. He also reminded the psychologist of how Oscar was a very poor witness at the original trial with several conflicting versions of what happened, almost trying to goad the defence into putting him on the stand.

Apparently the sentencing should end this week and according to sky's South African legal expert, he is likely to receive about twelve years of which he'll serve half. (Six years for murder)

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

Why should anyone get lenient treatment due to psychological conditions that were caused by the after effects of the crime they committed? He shot and murdered someone, he deserves whatever he gets. Treat him like any other murderer, throw him in with the hardened gangsters, let him fend for himself, or not, as the case may be.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

I know it's normal procedure in South Africa but to have the same judge, who apparently misinterpreted the law in giving a faulty original verdict, now sentencing after the appeal court rejected her culpable homicide verdict and substituted in one for murder, is possibly just asking for a too lenient and inappropriate sentence.

(I know the law isn't black and white but it's widely acknowledged to be a pretty poor interpretation for a judge to have made given the evidence presented)

Mandatory minimum sentence of fifteen years but very much up to the judge on how much time she takes off for any mitigation.

Moist von Lipwig
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL Spring 16 Winner 2010-11. Murfs F1 Predictions 2012 Winner. Pick Quick 2012-13 Winner. SP4s Predictions League A & Champions League

Post by Moist von Lipwig »

Reeva wouldn't want me to waste my life behind bars
Not quite sure there's many who would agree with you there....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ehind-bars

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Moist von Lipwig wrote:

I'm taking a punt here, but she would probably also want to still be alive.
Maybe an official medium should ajudicate.

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

foxinthebox2001 wrote:
Moist von Lipwig wrote:

Incredible that Pistorius has the sheer arrogance to say such things :twisted:

Steenkamp’s father Barry said his daughter’s murder had devastated their family

This is all the judge needs to know.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: Oscar Pistorius shoots and kills girlfriend

bluenosey wrote:
foxinthebox2001 wrote:
Moist von Lipwig wrote:

Incredible that Pistorius has the sheer arrogance to say such things :twisted:

Steenkamp’s father Barry said his daughter’s murder had devastated their family

This is all the judge needs to know.
I suppose we must expect a very lenient sentence with the absolute maximum discretion used to minimise time or even perhaps community service served, as the original judge, Judge Masipa, who apparently got it so wrong in the original trial even misinterpreting their own law, is presiding over the sentencing too

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Sentenced to six years, probably serve three

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by forestfan »

liquidfootball2 wrote:Sentenced to six years, probably serve three
Back for Tokyo then...

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

forestfan wrote:
liquidfootball2 wrote:Sentenced to six years, probably serve three
Back for Tokyo then...
The same judge who seemingly got it so badly wrong and apparently even misinterpreted their own law when giving the verdict in the first trial, which was subsequently overturned, was sentencing him now for murder for which the minimum is normally 15 years. There is room for her to knock off time for any mitigation and time served and its this that is why she's decided on six years. The defence lawyer seen punching the air afterwards. No news yet on whether there will be another appeal by the state against the sentence although the signs are that will now be final.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

What a joke. Does 'minimum' not mean 'minimum' then??

Murder should mean life which should mean no chance of release. Ever.

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

murf wrote:What a joke. Does 'minimum' not mean 'minimum' then??

Murder should mean life which should mean no chance of release. Ever.
The prosecution have said they are open to an appeal with the National Prosecuting Authority having 14 days to lodge it.

(I'm not certain if it's the same judge who presides, if so they may think what's the point? - actually I think it's her who decides whether to give leave to appeal but a different judge examines and adjudicates on whether the sentence is appropriate)

South African legal expert Marius du Toit has said "it's very lenient, but i can't say it's wrong"

Meanwhile Piers Morgan has tweeted

'Fallen hero'?
Try 'angry, gun-toting maniac'.
Judge behaved like a fan-girl & sentenced accordingly.
Disgusting. #pistorius

Mick MacPaddywack
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Wolf in Sheeps clothing

Post by Mick MacPaddywack »

Picture the scene.
Your sister's boyfriend shot your sister while she was locked in the loo.
Three times.
Dead.
Because after the first shot he didn't realise his mistake and still felt threatened by a potential burglar.
Locked in a toilet.
Some threat.

This is before those kids she was planning on having,
or that life she was hoping to live.

So three years later, when your rage is beginning to dissipate, and your hope that some justice will be served is about to be realised, the court rules that your sister's life was only worth 6 years, 3 of which might already be served under house arrest....

any chance you might catch him in the loo sometime?

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Oscar Pistorius shoots and kills girlfriend

South African prosecutors will appeal for a longer and more appropriate sentence for Oscar Pistorius who was sentenced to an extremely lenient six years for the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

I'm not sure on the procedure but surely Judge Masipa won't be presiding, she's already apparently got it so wrong in the original trial even misinterpreting their own law, and then followed it up by giving this extremely lenient sentence after having her original verdict thrown out and one of murder substituted in.

The national prosecuting authority (NPA) have described the sentence this judge gave as 'disproportionate to the crime of murder' and 'shockingly too lenient'.

"The sentence of six years imprisonment, in all the circumstances, is disproportionate to the crime of murder committed (and) shockingly too lenient," the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said in a strongly worded statement.

The NPA said the sentence was "an injustice and has the potential to bring the administration of justice into disrepute", adding that it would file papers to apply for leave to appeal on Thursday.

Perhaps the much derided Piers Morgan summed up the general feeling best after Judge Masipa's surprisingly super lenient sentence.

'Fallen hero'?
Try 'angry, gun-toting maniac'.
Judge behaved like a fan-girl & sentenced accordingly.
Disgusting. #pistorius'

liquidfootball2
Dumbledore

South Africa's Supreme Court has increased Oscar Pistorius's murder sentence to 13 years and five months after the state argued that his original sentence of six years was "shockingly lenient".

Pistorius was imprisoned in July last year after being found guilty on appeal of murdering girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Valentine's Day 2013 in a case that attracted worldwide interest.

The athlete was not in court for Friday's ruling where the court handed down the minimum 15-year sentence prescribed for murder in South Africa, and subtracted the years Pistorius had already served.

"The sentence imposed... in respect of murder is set aside and substituted with the following: the respondent is sentenced to imprisonment for a period of 13 years and five months," the judge said, reading out the court's decision.

The athlete was originally convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to five years in jail.

Judge Masipa had originally refused the prosecution leave to appeal her resentence for murder on the grounds that any appeal would have little or no chance of succeeding, however her refusal was successfully overturned.

The same judge had mistakenly misinterpreted the law and originally sentenced Pistorius only on the lesser charge of culpable homicide, but when her verdict was overturned on appeal had resentenced him by only increasing her original sentence by one year.

The prosecution has always maintained that this was again a misinterpretation of the flexibility allowed a judge to sentence below the minimum tariff for murder and grossly lenient, the appeal court has now agreed.

All in all a shocking indictment of Judge Masipa and her role throughout the whole long legal process.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Scarily comedic system of "justice"....

Might as well just chuck him in the jail toilet, shut the door and give someone a gun and a couple of bullets. See how lucky he is!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Sports Talk & Events (excluding Football)”