To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Manchester City - Expected Line-Up 13 Aug 2016

Reports during pre-season on expected 1st team Line-Ups for clubs in the English Premier League
FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Manchester City - Expected Line-Up 13 Aug 2016

Post by FootballWriter1 »

Report below written 29 July. Further updates to come in the run-up to Man City's opening match home to Sunderland on Saturday 13 August at 5:30pm.

Club Review

Last season was historical for Manchester City after they reached the semi-finals of the Champions League for the first time in the club's history. At half-way in the season, whilst the team was coached by Manuel Pellegrini, they made a big announcement, appointing Joseph “Pep” Guardiola as their new manager. That decision almost cost them a spot in Champions League, but they were lucky enough that Louis Van Gaal and the red side of Manchester did not catch City. City ended up 4th, with the same number of points as their United rivals (who had to take Europa League qualification instead rather than City’s qualifying round of the Champions League) but with a much better goal difference. Pellegrini took 20 million and went home, while Pep came from another failure in Munich, losing in the Champions League semifinals for another year. I’m very curious about Pep and how he will handle the situation and the pressure. He did a great job in Barcelona, but let’s face it, every manager did a great job with them and also only winning league and cup titles with Bayern is not a massive thing, so a lot of eyes will be looking at him. City already made two pretty big signings, getting Gundogan from Dortmund and striker Nolito from Celta, who scored a few goals at the Euros. They are in final stages of signing Stones, a young and prospective defender from Everton, but buying him for 50 million pounds could make him another overpaid Englishman just like they did with Sterling. Pep started very well at the new club, beating his former club Bayern Munich 1-0 in his first pre-season game as manager of Manchester City. City are also in talks over the young German, Leroy Sane, one of the most promising and best young talents in the world. That is not the end of the list, they are also in a battle with Manchester United and Real Madrid over 19 years old Gabriel Jesus, who was the best scorer in Brazilian League this season.

Defence

One position that they don’t need to sign players are goalkeepers. For many years that spot is safe for Manchester City and England number 1 Joe Hart. Hart is a strange keeper, one moment he can save unbelievable shots and remind you of some great goalkeepers from the past, and next moment he turns into David James and concedes a comical goal. But he is City’s No.1 spot and he will be that for many years coming. He won the Premier League Golden Glove four times and his best season record is 18 games with clean sheets, but I don’t expect from him to do it again. His substitute is Willy Cabalero, goalkeeper who plays only in unimportant Cup matches or when Joe is injured.

Manchester City has the richest defence in football history. Mangala was bought for 40 million pounds, Otamendi cost 32 million pounds and now Stones will cost them up to 50 million pounds. For that kind of money they should have a wall in front of Hart and not conceding 41 goals in 38 Premier League matches. City’s defence is very solid but only when they are healthy. Vincent Kompany, captain and main player in City’s defence but the only problem is that he spends half of the season watching them from the stands and he is already a doubt for the opening match. But with the arrival of Stones, they will have four very good centre backs with Otamendi, Stones, Mangala and Kompany. I personally would pair Otamendi and Stones, but also use Kompany as much when he is healthy. Their biggest problems are side backs and they haven’t done anything to change that problem. On the right side they got Zabaleta and Sagna, older players both in their 30s that opposition wingers pass more easily now. The other side is not that much better either with Clichy and Kolarov. Clichy has the most pace of all 4 and Kolorov is a very attacking player, fantastic over free-kicks. Of course, neither Kolarov or Clichy are the players they used to be 3 or 4 years ago and City should have done something to fix it, but as usual they just bring as many players as they can, no matter if they have that position filled.

Midfield

I think they and the whole world realised that they had better spend those 50 millions that they got Sterling on charity. For the player that is paid 44 million pounds, to score 11 goals in 47 matches is a disaster. I just don’t know what they were thinking when they spent so much money on him, the guy scored 34 goals in 176 matches and if he is worth that much money, imagine than the price for Ronaldo, Messi, Aguero etc. It seems that they are making the same mistake with another Englishman, Stones. City did pay 55 million pounds for Kevin de Bruyne but at least he contributed in big way from the start. Kevin played 41 games in the past season for City, scoring 16 and getting 15 assists. Manchester City have a great midfield, maybe even the best in the Premier League with Yaya Toure, David Silva, Kevin De Bruyne, now Gundogan, and others like Nasri (who is currently overweight per Pep and 2 weeks away from reaching his weight target before being allowed to play), Navas and the already mentioned Sterling. David Silva is still one of the best passers in the world and last season he recorded 11 assists in 23 League matches for City. Amazing player, very similar to Iniesta, but not that good, but I think he doesn’t get enough credit for his whole career.

The stunning midfield ends with Yaya Toure and Ilkay Gundogan (currently injured). Toure is not on the same level as he was before, but he still has got a few more years in his boots. I think under Guardiola he will get a new fresh start and challenges that will guide him to get back into his old shape. He still is one of the best midfielders in the Premier League, ultra strong and has very good positioning, but is able to score some stunning goals from outside and also from inside the box. Biggest mystery for Blues this season is their new signing Gundogan (currently injured). This is a player that has been injured for most of his career, but shown that he is brilliant when playing. He also needed a fresh start, to forget everything about injuries and recoveries and to try to refresh his career. I think
that Guardiola will definitely guide them into right shape and good discipline so players will look refreshed and ready for new challenges.

Attack

Manchester City have maybe the best striker in the world, if not the best then top 3 for sure (striker, not player). Yes, I’m talking about Aguero, absolute scoring machine but also very injury prone. Let’s just take a minute and realize that we are talking about a player who scored 24 goals in 29 league matches last season. Absolutely stunning stats for Aguero and as I said, his biggest problem will be staying healthy. If he manages to do that, he is my No.1 candidate for scoring the most goals in this Premier League season. City strengthened they attack with bringing in a very experienced and proven striker that is Nolito. He is 30 years old already but is playing the best football of his life and last year playing for Celta Vigo which makes this accomplishment even better he had 12 goals and 7 assists. I just hope that his career won’t go backwards as it did for Bony, who arrived to City from Swansea for 28 million pounds and scored just 4 goals in just 13 matches in the League last season. There are rumours that he is on the exit and I just hope those are true, because players like that definitely deserves to play more and not to sit on the bench. The biggest surprise of last season was the young and very promising talent Kelechi Iheanacho. This 20-years old kid from Nigeria finished the season with 14 goals, only de Bruyne and Aguero had more!!! I think that he will have a lot of chances, because I don’t think that Aguero can stay healthy for the whole season and also he will definitely play in Cup matches.

Summary

Manchester City will surely accomplish more in this Premier League season and will get that offensive style of playing back with Guardiola now. They have unbelievable individuals and it’s up to Pep to make all pieces into one giant machine that will rip opponents down. It is uncertain how Pep will find himself in the Premier League and how will he handle the pressure. They are top 3 candidates for sure with their Manchester rivals, United, and Chelsea and I could see them as a champions at the end of the season. As for the Champion League, I don’t think they will equal the result of this year, I’m expecting quarterfinals at most.

Pep played the 4-2-3-1 formation in the preseason and, if Stones signs, I think he will use it with:
Hart
Sagna Kompany (if fit) or Otamendi Stones Kolarov
Toure Gundogan(currently injured)
De Bruyne Silva Sterling
Aguero

I would personally play with two strikers because they have great midfield :
Hart
Zabaleta Kompany (if fit) Otamendi Clichy
Toure Gundogan(currently injured)
De Bruyne Silva
Nolito Aguero

Players to look up for in fantasy football :
John Stones – When Stones comes to City, which has Guardiola already confirmed that they are working on, for that price I think they will keep him in the game all the time. He is very young, skilled and with him City’s defence can improve a lot. Only problem for him will be who will he pair with, if he does it with Kompany, who will surely get injured soon and he will need a new partner. But he is used to Premier League, he knows the system and can only benefit from it.

Kevin de Bruyne – In his first season back to Premier League, de Bruyne made a huge impact involving himself in 31 goals. Next season with even better team and unquestionable better coach I think he will pass the mark of 20 both goals and assist and will fight Ozil, Fabregas and Mhiktaryan for that award for most assists and also will be a very good factor in scoring goals alongside Aguero.

Sergio Aguero – You just can’t go wrong with this guy. No matter in what form he is, he will score goals. That is just who he is, an absolute beast and scoring machine. If he stays healthy, I see him winning award for most goals in Premier League next season surpassing the number of 30 goals. I think Guardiola should try teaming him up with Nolito or even Iheanacho which would make them one deadly duo for every defence.

Kelechi Iheanacho – You must take a gamble on this kid. Last season with just 19 years on his shoulders, he managed to get 14 goals, so this season, more experienced, now that he knows the system, I think he will be the biggest surprise of the season. He has great potential, he is hard-working and has great mentality which can lead him to amazing things in life. If any player deserves the gamble, well it’s definitely this promising kid.

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Re: Manchester City - Expected Line-Up 13 Aug 2016

Pre-season games:

20 July: Bayern Munich 1-0 Manchester City

25 July: Manchester United P-P Manchester City (Beijing, China)

28 July: Manchester City 1-1 Borussia Dortmund, City win 6-5 on penalties (China). Goal: Aguero

7 August: Arsenal (Gothenburg, Sweden)

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

Current injuries for opening match:

Kompany (doubt)
Gündogan (out)

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Germany midfielder joins Man City in £37m deal - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36950347

20 years old & already playing for Germany. Scored eight goals in 33 Bundesliga appearances last season as Schalke finished fifth. According to Guardiola:

"He has great technical ability, is comfortable on the ball and there is much to admire about the way he plays football. He is fast, enjoys creating chances for others, works hard for the team and scores goals too. He also has a very positive attitude and will fit in well. At 20, he is still developing as a player but he is already a member of the German national side and I think he will be a fantastic asset to our club."

May take time to adjust to style of the EPL but there is an opening in midfield at the moment with Gundogan injured.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Man City beat off competition from Barcelona and sign 19 year old Brazilian striker, Gabriel Jesus from Palmeiras for an initial £27m. He has mainly been used on the left wing but can play as a striker or on the right wing. He picked up the best newcomer award in Brazilian football in 2015 after his debut for Palmmeiras in March 2015. He will be representing Brazil at the Olympics and then returning to Palmeiras for the rest of the year, making his move to Manchester in December. So one to look out for from January 2017.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Man City 1st 10 EPL matches:

Man City V Sunderland
Sat 13 Aug 17:30
Stoke V Man City
Sat 20 Aug 12:30
Man City V West Ham
Sun 28 Aug 16:00
Man Utd V Man City
Sat 10 Sep 12:30
Man City V Bournemouth
Sat 17 Sep 15:00
Swansea V Man City
Sat 24 Sep 15:00
Tottenham V Man City
Sat 1 Oct 15:00
Man City V Everton
Sat 15 Oct 15:00
Man City V Southampton
Sat 22 Oct 15:00
West Brom V Man City
Sat 29 Oct 15:00

TheGoatian
Kevin and Perry

Post by TheGoatian »

I'm a City fan and I can honestly say like most City fans I have absolutely no idea how we will lineup 1st game. Maybe the last pre season game we have (from a grand total of 4) will give a better idea. With a huge CL qualifier 3 days afterwards, it becomes even more unpredictable...

TheGoatian
Kevin and Perry

Post by TheGoatian »

I'd assume KDB as the most nailed on, but then again potentially that's Silva. There are so many options now it's really frustrating because we're bound to be top scorers again! Then there is the defence and I can even foresee Pep starting with no recognised seniour CB and putting Fernandinho and a youngster in there for SUN... Maybe I'm over thinking it but first time FPL wise I've been so in the dark as to how City lineup

Billy Bongo
FISO Knight

Post by Billy Bongo »

Kolarov stated as starting but Clichy has had the most mins pre season and a much better defender, my bet is Clichy

Edwaardz
Treebeard

Post by Edwaardz »

Absolutely no chance Yaya starts ahead of Fernandinho, even when Gundogan returns.

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Everton are standing firm on their £50m valuation of John Stones and have told Manchester City to take it or leave it, Sky sources understand.

Klopps Kop
Cheetah

Post by Klopps Kop »

Billy Bongo wrote:Kolarov stated as starting but Clichy has had the most mins pre season and a much better defender, my bet is Clichy
Clichy plays all the important games as Kolorov is a liability in defence.

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Manchester City have been drawn against Steaua Bucharest in the play-off round of Champions League qualifying.

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Manchester City have completed the signing of teenage Colombian forward Marlos Moreno for £4.75m and he was immediately sent to Deportivo on loan.

gutshot
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Solid

Post by gutshot »

Anyone know why otermendi is not playing?

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Injured I think.

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Preseason Friendly : Manchester City 2-3 Arsenal (Aguero, Iheanacho)

bhavishya222
Kevin and Perry

Post by bhavishya222 »

Does anyone know will KDB start GW1 or not??

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

bhavishya222 wrote:Does anyone know will KDB start GW1 or not??
He is not fully match fit after his short holiday following the Euros although he did get some game time yesterday. Maybe used as a substitute or in the CL qualifier. May know more on Friday.

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Pablo Zabaleta says he is staying at Manchester City after being told he is part of Pep Guardiola's plans for the season.

Manchester City will listen to offers for midfielder Samir Nasri, according to Sky sources and they want around 20 million pounds.

DelR
Red & Blue Braces

Post by DelR »

I was wondering whether you expect Leroy Sane to be in the reckoning to start games or will be eased in? Not sure if I saw something about him picking up a slight knock.

Derek

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

Rotation central for Sane IMO

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

OFFICIAL : John Stones has completed his move to Manchester City in a £47.5m deal on a six-year contract.

Manchester City will listen to offers for Eliaquim Mangala and Wilfried Bony as well as Samir Nasri, according to Sky sources.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Today's late game (on BT Sport) sees MC at home to Sunderland. MC then have an away Tuesday game in the vital CL qualifier.

A new manager (who prefers a 433 formation with wingers) and a large squad to choose from with Stones a recent CB purchase, so it's not too surprising few people have a good idea what the 1st team will be today. Hart's recent performances are even making his position questionable as 1st choice GK. Gundogan, Kompany and Sane are out so you can ignore them but it's a lottery for almost everyone else. If Pepe could play each half with 11 different players I think he would. Looks like the most likely starters are Fernandinho, Sterling & Aguero.

FootballWriter1
Wideboy

Premier League : Game 1 - Manchester City - Sunderland 2-1 (Aguero 4' McNair OG 87', Defoe 71')

7lb claimer
Grumpy Old Man

Post by 7lb claimer »

FootballWriter1 wrote:Premier League : Game 1 - Manchester City - Sunderland 2-1 (Aguero 4' McNair OG 87', Defoe 71')
Results and goalscorers are available in a dozen other places. I thought your opening posts were good but is this really necessary? What does it add?

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

The line-up was:

W Caballero, A Kolarov yellow card, J Stones, G Clichy (K Iheanacho, 80), B Sagna, K De Bruyne, Nolito (J Navas, 59), R Sterling, D Silva (F Delph, 64), Fernandinho, S Aguero
Subs not used: Fernando, J Hart, P Zabaleta, N Otamendi

In the CL play-off Tues night it was:

W Caballero, P Zabaleta yellow card (B Sagna, 70), A Kolarov yellow card (G Clichy, 75), N Otamendi, J Stones, D Silva, Fernandinho, K De Bruyne (Fernando, 79), R Sterling, S Aguero, Nolito
Subs not used: J Navas, J Hart, K Iheanacho, F Delph

Hart out of favour and looking at a loan move. The FBs probably will continue to vary. Stones plus Otamendi (or maybe Kolarov) as CBs until Kompany fit. Sterling has looked dangerous and should continue out wide with Nolito (or Navas when either needs a rest). Fernandinho as main DM (with Fernando as cover) with 2 from Kevin, Silva & Delph also in Midfield (until YaYa, Sane & Gundogan fully fit) and Aguero up front (Iheanacho his cover) having scored 4 goals and missed 2 pens in 2 games.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Team to play Stoke at 12:30pm: Caballero Stones Otamendi Zabaleta Kolarov Sterling Navas de Bruyne Fernandinho Silva Aguero

So Navas has a shift down the wing instead of Nolito and Kolarov preferred to Clichy at LB. Sagna injured.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Reports on Expected EPL Team Line-Ups”