To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

6Music

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Re: 6Music

Post by moonlightdribbler »

murf wrote:
DrBunker wrote:How good were WoD! :P
Didn't catch them this afternoon but am listening to the album now - really growing on me, but I just can't imagine them being good live - not exactlly 'live'ly music.

I've seen them twice. First when they toured with their 'Slave Ambient' album, playing in quite an intimate venue, and again last summer at a festival. They were incredible both times, and certainly lively enough for me. I love both their 2nd and 3rd albums, but I think they're much better live than on record.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Interpol & Mogwai performances now available on the BBC red button. Mogwai sounded immense last night.

Today's music hasn't really done it for me. Too much emphasis on the dancey nonsense. Just your typical Saturday night on 6Music really!

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

*Attention Marc Riley fans* Mr. Riley recorded a 'tv show' with some of his favourite artists in a studio. All 4 episodes of All Shook Up are available here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p02m631x

Take note, Jools!

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I'll have to dig them out for Slug and Teleman.

I do like Marc Riley but I don't usually like his taste in music. Often a bit too obscure.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

7 til midnight, Mon-Thurs, is undoubtedly my favourite part of 6music. Although I've discovered good new (and old) music right across the board, I think Marc Riley and Gid Coe are more likely to play stuff that's more my cup of tea.

I think I'm right in saying Slug contain 3 members of Field Music? Despite all the universal love for the latter, they have never quite clicked with me (though I really like the track 'In Context'). I quite like Teleman though. Anyway, highlights for me were probably Wave Pictures, Jesca Hoop (what a voice!) and Wire. And that Lonelady track 'Groove It Out' should have been HUGE.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Anyone ever noticed the almost absolute lack of mentions from Radcliffe to Riley and vice versa, given that the other hosts a show 3 hours away? Radcliffe sometimes mentions the later show but in a tone that might as well be discussing someone he'd never met...rather than a former 1FM breakfast show co-host .

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Never noticed any animosity but I have wondered re the lack of friendly mentions.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Me too. Never hear a peep from either of them (which is doubly odd, as pretty much all of them name check each other incessantly).

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Wiki = After leaving Radio 1, the duo cordially went their separate ways; Riley moving to BBC Radio 6 Music and Radcliffe to BBC Radio 2.[10] In 2009 Mark and Lard reformed to front radio adverts for Manchester City in North West England (Riley is a long-time fan of the club).

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Has anyone actually listened to Iggy Pop's show? Must be struggling for listeners based on the amount of ads they're playing for it. Maybe one week is enough for most people and they need to recruit a new audience each week....

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Loved his Sunday afternoon shows.
Is his new one a Friday night? Not a good night for me personally (to listen to the radio)..

foxinthebox2001
Dumbledore
FS Record: Fiso Cricket - The Limited Overs Game winner 2014

Post by foxinthebox2001 »

Expect 6 to pick up a few more listeners soon.
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... n-10005272
Xfm was a breath of fresh air when it started out September 1997, played many album tracks, not just single released tracks.
Lots of alternative, indie bands that R1 ignored, for me it was perfect for the time, when brit pop was exploding.
First heard Mansun on Xfm, blew me away, typical of the type of bands it would give air time to, along with quite a few unsigned artists. Before then it was only the John Peel show that was worth listening to.
Since Capital bought it out, it went slightly more mainstream, hired Ricky Gervais for a while, but was still pretty cool.
Now time has caught up with it, its being rebadged as Radio X and given a 'dad rock' rub down.
Not sure if Ian Camfield is being retained, but they had some good dj's over the years, Zane Lowe, Eddy Temple Morris, who is now leaving, and Mary Anne Hobbs, now with 6music.
The death knell is signing up Chris Moyles and Johnny Vaughan, they both would rather hear the sound of their own voices than any music. Anyway, thats me done with it. I'll stick with 6 & Kerrang!.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

murf wrote:
moonlightdribbler wrote:I assume a huge slice of Lamacq's listener figures ("Lamacq presents the station’s most popular show, with a record audience of just over 900,000 listeners") is down to his show time (weekdays, 4-7pm). I like a bit of 90s Brit-pop as much as the next man, but there really is no need for him to be continually stuck in a time warp. Every. Single . Day!
When driving I tune in for Radcliffe and Maconie then enjoy whatever Clash song he plays me bang on 4pm (or for occasional variation it is The Jam or The Cure) then I soon bore of him and go onto my iPod.
To what extent do we reckon the 6 month build up to the band t shirt at work thing is a) a 50-something Peter Pan scenario with him taking a weird almost childlike glee in a really really trifling thing vs 2) a long in the tooth radio hack seeing out his time and, aware that "dead air is a crime", mistakenly thinking this is an entertaining feature to fill lots of said air?

I know where my money is but I won't prejudice.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

I'd assumed it was 3) something other people enjoy but that might not be my cup of tea, like the entirety of the Keaveny show. The reggae world cup probably wasn't enjoyed by those who aren't fans of the genre but I'm sure others (and neutrals like me) loved it.

Not sure I get the 'hate' towards Lamacq in that quote, he's probably the slickest/most professional DJ they've got and his music range is no less restrictive than Peel's.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

It's not the features themselves. They're pretty standard radio stuff. It's the way he dedicates huge amounts of time to what I call trifling things. Never more so than this t-shirt thing, I swear he'll be analysing cotton fibres in a few years' time.

It's the same with listener input. He might get people to email in about, say, their childhood playground. Other DJs might eek out an hour or two before letting it die a natural death. He will happily return to it again and again over a week's broadcasting. It's like he has no listener boredom filter.

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Maybe I'm at an advantage not listening to most of his show each day. If I did I might grow to despise him like I do Keaveny.

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Post by fancy dan »

Darbyand wrote:
murf wrote:
moonlightdribbler wrote:I assume a huge slice of Lamacq's listener figures ("Lamacq presents the station’s most popular show, with a record audience of just over 900,000 listeners") is down to his show time (weekdays, 4-7pm). I like a bit of 90s Brit-pop as much as the next man, but there really is no need for him to be continually stuck in a time warp. Every. Single . Day!
When driving I tune in for Radcliffe and Maconie then enjoy whatever Clash song he plays me bang on 4pm (or for occasional variation it is The Jam or The Cure) then I soon bore of him and go onto my iPod.
To what extent do we reckon the 6 month build up to the band t shirt at work thing is a) a 50-something Peter Pan scenario with him taking a weird almost childlike glee in a really really trifling thing vs 2) a long in the tooth radio hack seeing out his time and, aware that "dead air is a crime", mistakenly thinking this is an entertaining feature to fill lots of said air?

I know where my money is but I won't prejudice.
I'll say 1, no, b :? :wink:

I always get the impression with Lamacq that he just wants to talk about the music, but has been told by those higher-up that he has to include a bit of lighter 'banter' - he has no natural facility for this so just picks a few topics and bleeds them dry.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

I wish they'd say the same to Laverne. The problem with her (and Lammo despite the above) IMO is that it's just all too music based. Keaveny has his impersonations, off kilter banter with Matt, MASOs etc, Radconie has a theme of the day with listener interaction, non music chat with chainees, poets and authors etc.

With Lauren you've got Biorythms (listener's music) Memory Tapes (mawkish listener's music), People's playlist (see above) live guest musicians talking about music.... and the vast majority of her DJ patter is about songs and artists, very little else. Then you've got the actual music which is often the most esoteric of the day time shows. After an hour or so you're gasping for breath. The only exception is the film reviews bit which feels a lot lighter and a hint of what they could do.

Maldini
Dumbledore

6Music

Post by Maldini »

There's a clue in what the station is called ;)

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Post by Mystery »

In fairness to LL, she was a musician herself long before falling into presenting & DJing, so it's not wholly surprising that her outside-of-work interests largely focus on music too, which inevitably drive what stuff she wants to bring on air.

Although on the other hand, I think there's also a carefully crafted attempt at separating her radio personality from her presenting one. Radio Laverne focuses on music, whereas the probably much more lucrative presenting Laverne can do all sorts of things.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

I'm aware that I seem to be saying I only want to be entertained by rambling middle aged men from the NW of England. Funny that :D

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Does anyone ever imagine their dream lineup on 6music and pick out people they'd love to see join the station as presenters? Plenty of people get slots standing in occasionally like Katie Puckrik, who I always enjoy, and I'd like it if she got a bit more involved. I've also enjoyed Vic Galloway from BBC Radio Scotland whenever he sits in for someone. Sometimes special guests get slots as a one-off on a Sunday for instance - my longstanding wish is for Pat Nevin (don't laugh!) to get a bash at something like that. Excellent music taste and, well, he's Pat Nevin.

Douglas 'Dougie' Anderson would be an excellent 6music presenter IMO. Don't know if he's ever done radio before (in presenter capacity), but a decent TV presenter who oddly (and harshly) you don't really see on telly much these days. Seems to pop up as a fairly regular guest on 5Liv'e's Fighting Talk though. He does a 'mixtape' every so often which is always worth checking out: https://www.mixcloud.com/MrDouglasAnderson/

His output doesn't get the audience it deserves. Over to you, 6music!

YOUR TURN!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

The only one I dislike of those mentioned above is Keavney. Just not a quarter as funny as he thinks he is. Good job I don't get up early much these days!

Lamacq annoys me far less these days but agree some features are over milked.

Some I avoid because of their musical taste like Giles Peterson or dodgy time of day like Marc Riley but increasingly I only listen to the one station.

Radcliffe and Maconie remain my clear favourites but they are tending to take more holidays so are rarely a double act these days which is a shame as they bounce off each other so well when talking bollocks.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

They've announced a new schedule with Laverne in the morning, Mary eff Ann eff Hobbs gets a daytime show and Keaveny in the RadMac slot ...they've been bumped to weekend mornings. Some less than favourable feedback here:
https://twitter.com/BBC6Music/status...825090561?s=19

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Link wouldn't open for me :(

Monday to Friday
5am-7.30am Chris Hawkins (from 5am-7am)
7.30am-10.30am Lauren Laverne (moving from 10am-1pm)
10.30am-1pm Mary Anne Hobbs (from 7am-10am, Saturday and Sunday)
1pm-4pm Shaun Keaveny (moving from 7am-10am)

Saturday and Sunday
7-10am Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie (moving from weekdays, 1pm-4pm)

Mark Radcliffe says: “With kids at university to support, I'm still going to be gainfully employed on Weekend Breakfast which means I stay at 6 Music, a station I love, and continue what's been a really creative partnership with Stuart. Last time I did a breakfast show it was little short of disastrous and so this time I'm looking forward to making a better fist of it. What could possibly go wrong?”

Hey ho: 6 hours from i-player to listen to during the week. I can;t wait for the Cope interview "at 9am on a Sunday morning" with his next song a la "Drink me under the table".

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

New link
https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lates ... le-changes

Very unhappy with this. My listening has pared down over the years to bits of Keaveny and the RadMac show. Weekend radio/catch up doesn't really do it for me. :cry:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Whoops, apologies for forgetting to post that link...

What about one of those E-petiton things to get R-M back?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I don't like Keaveney and love RadMac so not pleased about this AT ALL.

RadMac (when they are both on) is by miles the best thing on the radio.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I go through phases of liking/disliking Keaveny so won’t be massively upset.

I usually like Lauren’s music so hopefully she’ll be able to put her own stamp on the early morning show (which is what I probably listen to most).

Don’t mind Rad Mac on the occasions I get to listen to them, so swapping Keaveny for them is neither here nor there for me.

Do normally like Mary Ann too and she’s perfect for the weekend morning vibe... so again how that swap pans out I’m not sure.

All in all - is it a promotion for Mary Ann and Lauren and demotions for Keavney and Rad Mac.

Are the BBC trying to address the gender pay gap so shuffling the resources around to make that happen?

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

At a stroke, the 7am-7pm broadcaster ratio has gone from 80% (white over 40s) men to 50:50 on gender. Not sure it's pay-related but IMO the answer is in that stat. Wish they'd given Lammo the chop if they needed to lose an old bloke.

I'm really not sure Lauren's 'read the sleeve notes for 3 hours' style is suited to breakfast. Can she do frivolity?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”