To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

6Music

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Re: 6Music

Post by moonlightdribbler »

Iggy Pop to get the 4-6pm slot on Sundays from March onwards. A lot of what Jarvis played often wasn't my cup of tea, so I'll take this!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latest ... music.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I wont be too bothered about Jarvis not being on. Ms Zimm might, she really like him (him and his voice more than his playlist though).

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

The 6music festival is this weekend in Manchester.

If anyone besides Zimm is going look out for me at the fringe event - I should be around promoting Record Store Day.

Ask any of the Record Stalls there and they should know where I am. Be good to meet!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Oh right… like that is it PP.

Willing to meet anyone except me :cry:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

:lol: :lol:

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

That doesn't read too well does it!

I've met up with Zimm already so he is a given - anyone else would be a bonus ! :D

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Hi PP

Didn't get chance to catch up. To be honest when we got ushered in (was queuing to get in when the doors opened), didnt even see the record stores.

Later on when we dared venture outside it was rammed (and I didn't get beyond the smokers and pukers).

I think overall I was a bit disappointed with the venue.
It wasn't conducive to a good experience. I thought the main stage was superb (and plenty of room etc).

Can't grumble about bars either - plenty and rarely queued (if at all).
Getting food would have been impossible.
Stage 2 was ridiculously small for some of the acts they had on.
General layout wasn't great if trying to move around the place.
Silent Disco was largely spoilt by its vicinity to Stage 2.

Still had a good day/night and saw some good bands. But could have been so much better. And at £25 feel bad complaining about anything.

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

I went to this on Saturday. Thought the sound on the main stage was poor. Watched Bombay BC from about 20 yards away and it was like listening through a transistor radio.

Got closer for Franz Ferdinand and National but I said to my mate there was something wrong with the mics, and sure enough the National singer threw one away during their set.

So, were Zimmerman and Jake Bugg finally in the same room at the same time?

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I spent about 6 minutes in the room when he was on.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

I spent 2 days there and had the run of the place once I had sussed the security levels.
The fringe event was really good as it had some great guest speakers - Tim Burgess, Haim, Alan chap McGee and Tom Robinson to name a few.
There was a great Karaoke feature where they had a live band minus the lead singer - the choice of songs was really great and there were some good and not so good singers but the band interacted and did harmonies etc which made it a good experience.
The record stalls did ok but were disappointed in the lack of real punters. It was restricted to 600/session and a few of them didn't turn up. Need more through that section to make it really work. We had Pie and Vinyl from Southsea there and they did really good business - mainly on pies!!"!"

Wish I had met up as I could have got you around the whole festival site but I was struggling with my phone dying and having to charge it up at various points during the day.

Liverpool Soundcity should be good and if I get any vip stuff I will let you know.
I thought the sound was ok early on Friday but it was much better online as they obviously had direct feeds,
Some stuff on BBC red button Friday night if you are interested. Sound checks Saturday were good but the place was empty then.

Next thing for me is the Tim Burgess acoustic set at Piccadilly Records Manchester on 20th March for RSD launch live on XFM. I am organising in case you need a wrist band.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

paisleypark wrote: The record stalls did ok but were disappointed in the lack of real punters. It was restricted to 600/session and a few of them didn't turn up. Need more through that section to make it really work. We had Pie and Vinyl from Southsea there and they did really good business - mainly on pies!!"!"

I take it you were based mainly in the part of the site called 'Cornershop', PP? Noticed the sign of one of the photos over that weekend (as well as the Pie & Vinyl people), and I thought you may have snuck into a few shots! Loads of pics from the 6music Facebook page here (don't know if you need to be on Facebook/logged in to view. Apologies if it doesn't work!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 650&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

Thanks that worked for me!
I tried to avoid the cameras as I was just there for the shops - making sure they were all ok and had everything they needed. If I had ended up looking like Stuart Marconi I would have been embarrassed.
Have spoken to the Beeb about next years event already and they are going to have a full feedback session with us soon.
Liverpool Soundcity have asked me to arrange something similar for them but it will all depend on the location etc
There is going to be a lot on the red button over the next few days as well.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Iggy Pop on Sunday afternoons (16:00 - 18:00) is sensational.
Today has been a double treat with Grand Master Flash on from 18:00 - 20:00 (guest of Tom Robinson).

In fact Tom Robinson last Sunday was a proper treat too.

But both shows worth catching up with on listen again.

Iggys is an eclectic mix of ages and genres.
GMF was (as you'd expect) all the disco and early hip hop classics.

Is there any software available for recording/saving the shows?

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

(unless you're in the car) only freaks and weirdos listen to (non sport) radio at the weekend.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

Steve Lamacq is co-hosting with Noel Gallagher this Friday. :roll:

Turning the radio off should be enough but I might shove some knitting needles down my ears just in case.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I like Lemacq… but he overdoes the arse kissing when he meets someone.
This could be excruciating (although I don't mind Noel normally).

Sadly my car DAB got broken when it went in for some repairs :( so ive been pulling my hair out listening to 5Live, Talkshite and R2 :shock:

So I'd take Lemacq and Noel any day.

On Lemacq - we met him at Latitude (2013) and had a really good chat to him. Then he regaled our meeting on air a few days later and even played a song for us :D

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Post by fancy dan »

Never much rated his music, but Noel can be damned entertaining - should be a decent listen if Lamacq keeps quiet and chooses the music...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Did you catch any of it fancy dan?

Pretty disappointing (bordering on annoying). Noel spent most of the time I was listening, name dropping.

Brand, Weller, Morrissey and Bono were all mentioned.

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Post by fancy dan »

Didn't catch it, won't be looking it up on iPlayer based on your review :lol:

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

Radio 6 Music, the station that the BBC tried to axe, has hit 2 million weekly listeners for the first time in a landmark moment for digital radio.

The national music station, which features a line-up of presenters including Lauren Laverne, Elbow’s Guy Garvey, Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie, had an average weekly reach of 2.1 million listeners in the final three months of last year, according to Rajar listening figures published on Thursday.

It is the first digital-only station to pass the 2 million audience mark, coming five years after it was saved from closure by an unprecedented show of listener support, since when it has tripled its audience.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/f ... first-time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DrBunker
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISODAS season 21 Premiership champion

Post by DrBunker »

Good for them. Would've been more pleased if they'd played my earworm Bloodhound Gang as I requested this morning but you can't have it all. :)

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

DrBunker wrote:Good for them. Would've been more pleased if they'd played my earworm Bloodhound Gang as I requested this morning but you can't have it all. :)

I had my Lemonheads request turned down a while back (though they did read it out). I feel your pain.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

I assume a huge slice of Lamacq's listener figures ("Lamacq presents the station’s most popular show, with a record audience of just over 900,000 listeners") is down to his show time (weekdays, 4-7pm). I like a bit of 90s Brit-pop as much as the next man, but there really is no need for him to be continually stuck in a time warp. Every. Single . Day!

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

moonlightdribbler wrote:
DrBunker wrote:Good for them. Would've been more pleased if they'd played my earworm Bloodhound Gang as I requested this morning but you can't have it all. :)
I had my Lemonheads request turned down a while back (though they did read it out). I feel your pain.
I elicited a small chuckle from the fool Keavney when he read mine out but I did notice that a few texts above was a request from months ago for Antony and the Johnsons' 'Hope There's Someone' so they are listening, just slowly. ;)

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

moonlightdribbler wrote:I assume a huge slice of Lamacq's listener figures ("Lamacq presents the station’s most popular show, with a record audience of just over 900,000 listeners") is down to his show time (weekdays, 4-7pm). I like a bit of 90s Brit-pop as much as the next man, but there really is no need for him to be continually stuck in a time warp. Every. Single . Day!
When driving I tune in for Radcliffe and Maconie then enjoy whatever Clash song he plays me bang on 4pm (or for occasional variation it is The Jam or The Cure) then I soon bore of him and go onto my iPod.

Darbyand
FISO Knight

Post by Darbyand »

murf wrote:
moonlightdribbler wrote:I assume a huge slice of Lamacq's listener figures ("Lamacq presents the station’s most popular show, with a record audience of just over 900,000 listeners") is down to his show time (weekdays, 4-7pm). I like a bit of 90s Brit-pop as much as the next man, but there really is no need for him to be continually stuck in a time warp. Every. Single . Day!
When driving I tune in for Radcliffe and Maconie then enjoy whatever Clash song he plays me bang on 4pm (or for occasional variation it is The Jam or The Cure) then I soon bore of him and go onto my iPod.

Ha ha, exactly the same for me.

I made a chain suggestion via Twitter yesterday and they tweeted me back asking for my phone number on email. I duly sent it off and waited for the call from Mark and Stuart. Imagine my disappointment when the time for the feature grew ever nearer and then eventually they made the call with some other clown with a really dull link.

moonlightdribbler
Grumpy Old Man

6Music Festival now in full swing. The War on Drugs just kicking things off, with Sleater-Kinney, Interpol and Mogwai to come later.

DrBunker
FISO Knight

Post by DrBunker »

How good were WoD! :P

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

Mogwai are always superb. Enjoy. :)

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

DrBunker wrote:How good were WoD! :P
Didn't catch them this afternoon but am listening to the album now - really growing on me, but I just can't imagine them being good live - not exactlly 'live'ly music.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”