To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Building That Perfect Album Collection..

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

SamD wrote:Also, one I remember getting - 'The Best Of Ball, Barber & Bilk', in which Kenny, Chris and Acker provide four tracks each - might also qualify as it was a number one in the sixties...
My Mum and Dad had that - it was one of the first albums I ever heard. Acker Bilk's Stranger on the Shore (surprisingly, not on that album) is still one of my favourite instrumentals.

Go on then Sam, what's your best five albums of the Fifties?

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

Billy,

Not sure this thread is intended to cover the pre-1960s (sadly)...

To follow up on your other point: yes, the the paying public seemed to be keen on trad jazz in the period up to the early '60s. The 'Best of' title of the Ball, Barber & Bilk album combo wasn't accurate, however - it didn't signify a collection of hits [Kenny Ball, in particular, released his chart stuff under a solo Golden Hits compilation around the same time].

To digress a little: the sixties provided many memorable instrumentals, including one you mention, Mr Acker Bilk's Stranger On The Shore. This started life as the theme for a TV series and sold a million copies while occupying the top 40 for about a year without reaching the summit. It was a surprise US chart-topper though.

Other tunes that appealed in that decade were Zorba's Dance (by Marcello Minerbi), Cast Your Fate To The Wind (Sounds Orchestral), Classical Gas (Mason Williams) and Soul Limbo (Booker T & The MGs), aka the BBC cricket theme.

But own instrumental favourite of the 1960s has to be Take Five by The Dave Brubeck Quartet. Just riveting...
(unlike this post, to some younger folk?)

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

SamD wrote:
[Kenny Ball, in particular, released his chart stuff under a solo Golden Hits compilation around the same time].
Would that have been the one released as part of the Golden Guinea Records series? We had one by Kenny Ball and also Acker Bilk alongside others by Micky and Griff and Tony Hancock. I think they were a sort of forerunner of Music For Pleasure.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote:
UncleTupelo wrote:
greenman wrote: 90s
Glow – Reef
Seriously :?: :shock:
I remember it being very good but haven't played it for years (says a lot?). Might be one to dig out and re-discover but I can't see it even making my longlist for its decade.

I'll be having several entries identical to Greenman (Waterboys, Roses, Radiohead) and a few others are contenders so he has some taste!
Dire Straits ??

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

Kenny Ball's Golden Hits compilation
Would that have been the one released as part of the Golden Guinea Records series?
Made me look...
Just found the vinyl album after searching through the stockpile at home.

Spiny, you're spot on: it was released on the Pye Golden Guinea label.
Scribbles on album cover also show it cost me 21 shillings in October 1965.
Seem to remember the Music For Pleasure series was even cheaper: 12s 6d?

Here's the Kenny Ball LP for sale online at £12, with cover picture:
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=385041

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

Sam I'm also a big fan of Brubeck's Take Five. Have you ever heard the vocal version with Carmen McCrae singing the vocals (done live with Brubeck in 61 i believe) ? Simply superb, that's one of the tracks on Jazz Juice Vol 1 mentioned above.

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

Difficult tune to sing to. Found a YT video clip with Carmen McRae vocal:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IOEXgyXYiRA

Pure (!) instrumental cut, with Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, Joe Morello and Gene Wright in 1961:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DDOgYw5-pNs

Doesn't Take Five seem an appropriate tag to this thread?

greenman
FISOhead

Post by greenman »

UncleTupelo wrote:
greenman wrote: 90s
Glow – Reef
Seriously :?: :shock:
Granted it’s not the strongest pick on the list and wouldn’t really be ahead of OK Computer for example, but it holds some memories of great times and I thought Reef were a bit different from the usual mediocre pub rock you described. Interesting you included Weller in your hit list though as All Mod Cons appeared in your top 5, but then I only like his Jam stuff too .. Sound Affects would be my top choice.

blahblah wrote:
Dire Straits ??
Are the band not a good choice or just not a 'cool' choice?

Okay, so it’s an 80s sound with some synthesised drums, moody sax and occasional bit of bass slap but there are some great songs on Brothers in Arms. From the memorable Money for Nothing to the stand out title track this is their best album after the excellent Making Movies and Love Over Gold. It's what U.Tupelo calls 'Real' music :wink:

bigH
Treebeard
FS Record: FL Golf Major League Winner 2006

Post by bigH »

60s
Neil Young - Harvest
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Byrds - Greatest Hits
Monkees - Greatest Hits

70s
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
The Clash - London Calling
The Buzzcocks - Another Music
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Devo - Are We Not Men?

80's
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
REM - Murmur
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
Microdisney - The Clock Comes Down the Stairs
Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain

90's
Neil Young - Harvest Moon
Blue Aeroplanes - Swagger
Blue Aeroplanes - Beat Songs
Buffalo Tom - Let Me Come Over
Air - Moon Safari

00's
The Shins - Wincing the Night Away
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
Interpol - Antics
Shack - Time Machine
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Band of Horses - Cease to Begin

Wayward Lad
FISO Knight
FS Record: 2008 AFL Dreamteam & Supercoach Double Winner..

Post by Wayward Lad »

snuck in an extra one bigh :wink:

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

90's Another difficult decade. Some great albums spoiled by silly little intros between almost every track and sticking re-mixes at the end. So No , SWV, TLC, Fugees or Janet Jackson albums although they are all great albums. Another thing which crept into the music I love during the 90's was the bad language. Bought a Notorious BIG album and had to take it back the next day, no way could I sit and listen to that in front of my teenage kids, shame because it sounded like a good album.

At the end of the day some of these albums are so close it could be down to what mood you are in the day you compile the list.

Home Again - New Edition Didn't think much of New Edition first time round, but all the members did pretty well when they split up. They got back together for this album in 1996 and what an album, every track is a R&B classic.

Q's Jook Joint - Quincy Jones One of favourite albums of all time, sublime mix of R&B and Jazz, containing some of the best tracks released during the 90's. Must have one of the longest guest artist list of all time, must be about 50.

Toni Braxton - Toni Braxton Stunning début album, although doesn't hurt to have Babyface to produce your first album. Stunning voice, takes over from where Anita baker left off. I remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck the first time i heard Another Sad Love Song, sort of sums up the album, Great chill out music.

Enter The Dru - Dru Hill
Superb album, Sisqo got a lot of sales on his solo album, but this one was so much better, great soul (or R&B if you prefer) album.

LSG - Levert, Sweat & Gill Solo Artists forming a group doesn't normally work, but Gerald Levert, Keith Sweat and Johnny Gill got together and created a classic. For some reason one of the most overlooked albums of the late 90's. Great music to relax to.

Can't believe I could fit in R Kelly's 12 play or Usher's My Way. (although he will feature in the 00's).
Last edited by Rick on 13 Feb 2008, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

unc
FISOhead

Post by unc »

bigH wrote: 80's
Stone Roses - Stone Roses
REM - Murmur
The Smiths - Hatful of Hollow
Microdisney - The Clock Comes Down the Stairs
Echo & The Bunnymen - Ocean Rain
Microdisney. That takes me back. Didn't they do an album called 'We hate you South African bustards'?!!

Liked Fatima Mansions as well

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

00's

Not the same quality in the naughties as the previous 2 decades (imo), although that could just be in the type of music I like. still some tasty offerings about though.

Confessions - Usher
8701 - Usher
I thought his first album (My Way) was a cracker but they have just got better and better, can't wait until the next.

A Time To Love - Stevie Wonder His best album since the 70's, one or two tacks even sound as it they were made then too. Great return to form, wonder how long we will have to wait for his next album.

Dance With My Father - Luther Vandross Luther's final album and one of his best, recorded only a couple of years before he died. At least he will be able to Dance with his father again now.

Brazil Chill - Bob Baldwin maybe a sign of my age, but playing this one a lot lately although it is a few years old (2004). Nice relaxing jazzy soul. Ahh now where's my slippers. :)

bigH
Treebeard
FS Record: FL Golf Major League Winner 2006

Post by bigH »

[/quote]

Microdisney. That takes me back. Didn't they do an album called 'We hate you South African bustards'?!!

Liked Fatima Mansions as well[/quote]

Unc - yes they did and it is a top album - Cathal Coughlan is a great lyricist and never pulls his punches

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Rick wrote:90's Another difficult decade. Some great albums spoiled by silly little intros between almost every track and sticking re-mixes at the end. So No , SWV, TLC, Fugees or Janet Jackson albums although they are all great albums. Another thing which crept into the music I love during the 90's was the bad language. Bought a Notorious BIG album and had to take it back the next day, no way could I sit and listen to that in front of my teenage kids, shame because it sounded like a good album.

At the end of the day some of these albums are so close it could be down to what mood you are in the day you compile the list.

Home Again - New Edition Didn't think much of New Edition first time round, but all the members did pretty well when they split up. They got back together for this album in 1996 and what an album, every track is a R&B classic.

Q's Jook Joint - Quincy Jones One of favourite albums of all time, sublime mix of R&B and Jazz, containing some of the best tracks released during the 90's. Must have one of the longest guest artist list of all time, must be about 50.

Toni Braxton - Toni Braxton Stunning début album, although doesn't hurt to have Babyface to produce your first album. Stunning voice, takes over from where Anita baker left off. I remember the hair standing up on the back of my neck the first time i heard Another Sad Love Song, sort of sums up the album, Great chill out music.

Enter The Dru - Dru Hill
Superb album, Sisqo got a lot of sales on his solo album, but this one was so much better, great soul (or R&B if you prefer) album.

LSG - Levert, Sweat & Gill Solo Artists forming a group doesn't normally work, but Gerald Levert, Keith Sweat and Johnny Gill got together and created a classic. For some reason one of the most overlooked albums of the late 90's. Great music to relax to.

Can't believe I could fit in R Kelly's 12 play or Usher's My Way. (although he will feature in the 00's).
I've never even heard of New Edition so I sampled it off iTunes and you're right, it's good. Sounds more like 70s soul than what I think of as R&B though. The album's only £5.49 so I've bought it - it's downloading as I type :P

Rick
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Rick »

Billy Whiz wrote:
Rick wrote:90's Another difficult decade. Some great albums spoiled by silly little intros between almost every track and sticking re-mixes at the end. So No , SWV, TLC, Fugees or Janet Jackson albums although they are all great albums. Another thing which crept into the music I love during the 90's was the bad language. Bought a Notorious BIG album and had to take it back the next day, no way could I sit and listen to that in front of my teenage kids, shame because it sounded like a good album.

Enter The Dru - Dru Hill

I've never even heard of New Edition so I sampled it off iTunes and you're right, it's good. Sounds more like 70s soul than what I think of as R&B though. The album's only £5.49 so I've bought it - it's downloading as I type :P
Good choice, you won't regret it, timeless classic.

New Edition were almost a Jackson 5 copy band in the early mid eighties, they were all very young at the time (early teens). Most famous members were Bobby Brown, Ralph Tresvent (Sensitivity) and Johnny Gill, although the others 3 also had success as Bell, Biv, Devoe (remember Poison). Johnny Gill had replaced Brown when he went solo. This later album is so much better than the early stuff, I don't know why It didn't do better over here, it was massive in the States. Maybe something to do with Dance music dominating everything in the mid 90's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Edition

Knulpuk
Dumbledore
FS Record: Ultra ultra consistent (see above)

Re: Building That Perfect Album Collection..

Post by Knulpuk »

Been thinking this over for the last 6 months and have had to revise the 00's - don't want to make it a bit like one of these top 100 albums of all time that has the latest Now album in at no 54. but have included Kelley Stoltz Below the Branches as I think this is a classic in the making and cannot allow the Eels to be left off.

Schlock
Dumbledore

Post by Schlock »

Alright here is my lot in no particular order

1960's
Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
Are You Experienced - Hendrix
Credence CWR - Credence CWR
Steppenwolf - Steppenwolf
Elvis 68 Comeback - Elvis

1970's
Rolled Gold - Rolling Stones
TNT - ACDC
Best of ZZ Top - ZZ Top
B52's - B52's
Van Halen - Van Halen

1980's
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Back In Black - ACDC
East - Cold Chisel
10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 - Midnight Oil
Appetite For Destruction - Guns & Roses

1990's
Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz
Pure Cult - Cult
BBC Sessions - Led Zeppelin
To The Faithful Departed - Cranberries
Dookie - Green Day

2000's
Get Born - Jet
Vulture Street - Powderfinger
In Your Honor - Foo Fighters
The 2000's haven't finished yet so I will leave 2 places for another day

slarty
Grumpy Old Man
Location: tminus9minutes reductio ad Seditio bonum ssevitque Quse nuAnceps forma ignobile mortanimis

Post by slarty »

You're not gonna plug Airbourne. :shock:

Just look at all that hair :wink:

slarty
Grumpy Old Man
Location: tminus9minutes reductio ad Seditio bonum ssevitque Quse nuAnceps forma ignobile mortanimis

Re:

Post by slarty »

Rick wrote:
Billy Whiz wrote: I've never even heard of New Edition so I sampled it off iTunes and you're right, it's good. Sounds more like 70s soul than what I think of as R&B though. The album's only £5.49 so I've bought it - it's downloading as I type :P
Good choice, you won't regret it, timeless classic.

New Edition were almost a Jackson 5 copy band in the early mid eighties, they were all very young at the time (early teens). Most famous members were Bobby Brown, Ralph Tresvent (Sensitivity) and Johnny Gill, although the others 3 also had success as Bell, Biv, Devoe (remember Poison). Johnny Gill had replaced Brown when he went solo. This later album is so much better than the early stuff, I don't know why It didn't do better over here, it was massive in the States. Maybe something to do with Dance music dominating everything in the mid 90's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Which one's Bobby Brown?

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

As a rock fan, any selections I make would include Van Halen in the Seventies, Bon Jovi/Guns N Roses/The Cult in the 80's, Nirvana/Metallica in the 90's and Foo Fighters/Lostprophets/Bullet for my Valentine in the 00's. Honourable mentions go to The Stone Roses/Zepplin/Creedence/The Wildhearts/Goo Goo Dolls/U2/Stevie Ray, and the fantastic Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness.

M-boy
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 94th 07/08

Post by M-boy »

The floor is yours Mr Fuelled.....

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Don't think the form is ready for Avenged Sevenfolds City of Evil :lol:

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

This is much harder than I thought!

60's
can only think of two :oops:
Dylan - Blonde on Blonde 1966
Beatles - White Album 1968

70's
Carole King - Tapestry 1971
Dylan - Blood on the Tracks 1975
Floyd - Animals 1977
Marley - Exodus 1977
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours 1977

Could have picked about 15 albums here, inc DSotM, WYWH, Tea for the Tillerman, Quadrophenia

80's
Wacko - Thriller 1982
Dire - Brothers in Arms :oops: 1985
New Order - Substance 1987
Stones Roses - Stone Roses 1989
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising 1989

90's
Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory? 1995
Ocean Colour Scene - Moseley Shoals 1996
Radiohead - OK Computer 1997
Sash and Digweed - Northern Exposure 1997
Massive Attack - Mezzanine 1998

00's
Radiohead - Kid A 2000
Jonny C - American III: Solitary Man 2000
Damien Rice - O 2002
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief 2003
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois 2005

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

FWIW :-

60's (Hard !)
Ogdens Nut Gone Flake - Small Faces
Pet Sounds - Beach Boys
Revolver - Beatles (3)
Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles
Rubber Soul - The Beatles

Hmmm, good job the Beatles spllt in 1970 :? Note to buy some Kinks albums..

70s
Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars - David Bowie
Electric Warrior - T Rex
All Mod Cons - The Jam (2)
One Step Beyond - Madness
Parallel Lines - Blondie

80's (getting easier)
Sound Affects - The Jam
Disco - The Pet Shop Boys
The Eight Legged Groove Machine - The Wonder Stuff
This is the Day...This is the Hour...This is This! - Pop Will Eat Itself
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses (1)

90s
OK Computer - Radiohead
Definitely Maybe - Oasis
Pulp - His n Hers
The Charlatans - The Charlatans
Beautiful Freak - The Eels

00s
Lost Souls - The Doves
Hot Fuss - The Killers
Kasabian - Kasabian
The Back Room - The Editors
We'll Live & Die In These Towns - The Enemy

My top 3 albums in brackets :)

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Bob Dylan Bringing It All Back Home (1965)
Simon and Garfunkel Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme (1966)
The Doors The Doors (1967)
Leonard Cohen Songs of Leonard Cohen (1967)
Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland (1968)
Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon (1973)
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd 1975
This Year's Model ELVIS COSTELLO 1978
The Specials Specials 1979
the wall ~ Pink Floyd ('79)
Boy U2 October 20, 1980
Signing Off UB40 1980
New Order Power, Corruption & Lies (1983)
The Smiths THE SMITHS Feb 1984
Echo & the Bunnymen Ocean Rain 8 May 1984
Superunknown SOUNDGARDEN March 8, 1994
MTV Unplugged in New York NIRVANA November 1994
Dummy PORTISHEAD 1994
The Stone Roses Second Coming (1994)
Post BJORK June of 1995
Radiohead Kid A (2000)
Radiohead Amnesiac (2001)
Radiohead Hail to the Thief (2003)
Elephant THE WHITE STRIPES April 1, 2003
Yeah Yeah Yeahs Fever To Tell 29-4-2003

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Interesting to see that you chose Second Coming rather than The Stone Roses bloggie.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Spinynorman wrote:Interesting to see that you chose Second Coming rather than The Stone Roses bloggie.
Must have been a typing error :wink:

Also three Radiohead albums, but not including the two that most people would consider their best. Intriguing.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Billy Whiz wrote:
Spinynorman wrote:Interesting to see that you chose Second Coming rather than The Stone Roses bloggie.
Must have been a typing error :wink:

Also three Radiohead albums, but not including the two that most people would consider their best. Intriguing.
Indeed, good point. The Bends and OK Computer are the only Radiohead albums that I have in my collection.

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

No typing error.The Stone Roses' 1st album may have had the hits but I prefer the second by far.Also I must of played the OK Computer album that many times that its impact gets diluted though still a great album so could probably replace it with either of 2 from the 90's.With The Bends maybe the same applies though I did rather stop playing that album once their latter albums emerged.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”