To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Record players / turntables

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Record players / turntables

Post by unc.si. »

I've got a mildly significant birthday coming up soon (actually seems to be far more significant to others than me - just another day as far as I'm concerned :D ). Fed up of getting the same old shit for birthdays I've asked everyone to put cash in the pot towards me buying a new record player (plus amp and speakers - my old Marantz amp and trusty wharefdale diamonds disappeared a long time ago).

Managed to find most of my boxes of albums in the attic, although still pretty sure one is missing somewhere. All still in good condition - had forgotten I'd got half of them.

Anyone got any views on the below turntables (narrowed down from talking to uncle google)

ProJect Primary E - £150ish
Rega Planar 1 - £250 ish
ProJect Carbon DC - £350ish

probably put them through a Cambridge Topaz AM10 amp and Q Acoustics 3020 speakers.

Not really sure if I'll notice a lot of difference between the three options and tempted to go for the Rega Planar as they've always been known as a good brand

Any audio experts out there with an opinion?

actually excited at the prospect of playing some of my old vinyl again - its the most I've been excited about a present since I got a Vic-20 :D
Last edited by unc.si. on 04 Mar 2019, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Record players

Post by murf »

I used to know about record decks (back in the days of the Vic-20, nearly got one of them but went for an Acorn Electron instead!) - Rega Planars were well appreciated then but I got a Dual CS505-2 (if memory serves me right re numbers). Haven't had a deck since that died 15(?) years ago long after I'd moved to mainly buying CDs- jealous.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I got a Rega P3 after my Pink Triangle bit the dust about 5 years ago. It's not as good but still pretty good. I was told at the time by people and publications in the know that all Rega Planar decks are good.

paisleypark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by paisleypark »

Rega are pretty good in my opinion. Record Store Day (RSD) promote them throughout their 250 signed up Record Shops so they must have something going for them.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Re: Record players / turntables

Post by unc.si. »

Does seem that I can’t go wrong with the Rega

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

OK plumped for the Rega,
everywhere I look it gets referenced as the best budget turntable, and even the audiophile sites don't turn their noses up at it. Looks nice as well.

Amazing how much some decks cost. £250 / £300 really is entry level. I guess its a bit like when someone thinks they're spending a lot on a bike at £500, then realising that its actually only the minimum you need to spend to get something worth riding :D

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Bit late now, but I've got a Rega Planar 2, had it for years, would recommend it.

I also recently upgraded my speakers to a pair of Dali Spektor 2, which are about £200. I can't believe how much better they sound than my old Missions. The guy in the shop said speakers don't last as long as other hi fi separates, so if anyone's thinking their system isn't sounding as good as it used to, I'd recommend auditioning them.

https://www.whathifi.com/dali/spektor-2/review

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”