To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

International break music thingy.

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: International break music thingy.

Post by blahblah »

I'll give it some pondering, as nowt much to tax my Brain Cell, beyond watching FPL price rises for my WC :lol:

Top 5 favourite bands: (including duo's)
Carpenters, I still can't listen to them without weeping: and they make Joy Division sound like Steps :lol:
Wild Swans (early 80's Liverpool band that spawned the Lotus Eaters) and predominantly good eggs too - not that I knew that I knew two of them quite well :lol: :lol: :lol: (I don't thnk No Bleeding counts as a single, unless Peel Session EP's count, then they can move there).

Top 5 favourite solo artists: (including artists doing stuff on their own all by themselves with nobody with them)
Cope, as it will save a band place, and his solo stuff hits some amazing heights, and deep, deep troughs :lol:
Scott (Walker) despite the "Tribute" concert being rather painful, and his later\recent "weird" stuff is quite something in an Aural Performance Art kinda way. Also he sounds like a dead sweet person in interviews.....
Tom Waits, no reason needed on FISO?
Dusty

Top 5 favourite singles: (formats other than 7" inch vinyl are allowed as long as it was released as being singles chart eligible)
Damn, no C's can F off :cry:

Top 5 favourite albums: (whilst frowned upon stuff other than prog will be allowed)
Blimey...
Stone Roses
Nevermind the Bollocks
Blackstar - not a huge Bowie fan, well not really at all - but this is a brilliant adieu to the World

Top 5 all time greatest gigs: (appearances as part of a multiple line up or festival are okay)
Cope: not sure which one of two yet
Waterboys 1985\6
Christians or House of Love from just before they "broke"
Ramones or Buzzcocks
Bunnymen in Liverpool

thebillfella
FISO Knight
FS Record: 6th FPL 19/20; 1st TFF StartXI 14/15; 8th TFFE11; 18th TFFE12; 1st FISO TFFE11&12; 1st FISO Full Draft 12/13,14/15,19/20,20/21; 1st Block14/15; 1st 5ASChampLge 12/13; 1st TFF Super614/15; 1st Spring17; 1st FISO Div Premx6, Cup, Mirror,Prem&H2H Champ 19/20

Post by thebillfella »

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
The Stone Roses
Oasis
U2

Top 5 favourite solo artists: (including artists doing stuff on their own all by themselves with nobody with them)
Jimmy Hendrix
Paul Weller
Lenny Kravitz
David Bowie
John Lennon

Top 5 favourite singles: (formats other than 7" inch vinyl are allowed as long as it was released as being singles chart eligible)
Jumpin' Jack Flash - The Rolling Stones
I Am The Resurrection - The Stone Roses
No One Knows - Queens Of The Stone Age
Killing In The Name Of - Rage Against The Machine
Ace Of Spades - Motorhead

Top 5 favourite albums: (whilst frowned upon stuff other than prog will be allowed)
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Radiohead - OK Computer
Definitely Maybe - Oasis
Magical Mystery Tour - The Beatles
Urban Hymns - The Verve
[I assume "Best Of" albums don't count / aren't allowed?]

Top 5 all time greatest gigs: (appearances as part of a multiple line up or festival are okay)
U2 - Zoo TV 92
Oasis - Knebworth 96
Queen - Live Aid 85
Radiohead - Glasto 97
Muse - Glasto 04
[I would love to say The Stone Roses - Spike Island but honestly it was shit! Plus I don't remember Woodstock as I wasn't born yet!]
Last edited by thebillfella on 01 Sep 2017, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Haven't done my 5 singles yet, have to as an excuse to finally fit The Clash in there (can't believe I'm only allowed 5 bands - could easy get to 20 before liking any less than my 5th fav solo artist)

Singles-
The Clash - Bankrobber
Specials - Too Much Too Young (I want the WHOLE 7" EP!)
Radiohead _ Creep
Ash - Girl From Mars (proper 3 minute pop song)
Jam - Going Underground (see above)

EDIT had to delete to fit in Creep - Wannadies - You And Me Song (see above)

Probably loads of others but they fit better on albums, these are pure singles. singles comps could be another category - Madness/Bob Marley.....

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

thebillfella wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 22:24 No One Knows - Queens Of The Stone Age
Killing In The Name Of - Rage Against The Machine
Ace Of Spades - Motorhead
Could all fit in my rocking top 5! Sweet Child O Mine and I Surrender off the top of my head to make 5!

EDIT - RATM are relegated cos I need some Pearl Jam (Jeremy or Alive if really rocking)
Last edited by murf on 01 Sep 2017, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Top 5 favourite singles.

This one could be the hardest of the lot.

Street Life by Roxy Music - Great song, love the vocal.

We Can Work It Out by The Beatles - I could have filled the list with Beatles songs.

Telstar by The Tornados- First record I ever chose to have bought for me. :D

You Wear It Well by Rod Stewart - Just a great song.

Sylvia by Focus - Awesome!

This is the list that could not only change several times this week but it could change within the hour.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Spinynorman wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 22:28 Top 5 favourite singles.
This is the list that could not only change several times this week but it could change within the hour.
Exactly, tis impossible?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

blahblah wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 22:30
Spinynorman wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 22:28 Top 5 favourite singles.
Exactly, tis impossible?

It's merely taxing and somewhat ephemeral. :mrgreen:

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

murf wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 22:24 Radiohead _ Creep
Ash - Girl From Mars (proper 3 minute pop song)
Yeah, Creep would probably have made my top five if I'd thought of it... and a big yes to Girl from Mars (my sister-in-law's all-time favourite track, as it happens!)
Spinynorman wrote: Street Life by Roxy Music - Great song, love the vocal.
We Can Work It Out by The Beatles - I could have filled the list with Beatles songs.
You Wear It Well by Rod Stewart - Just a great song.
Sylvia by Focus
Still not sure how Roxy/Bryan Ferry didn't make the cut on any of my top 5's, probably All I Want Is You would edge it for me as my favourite single of theirs, although I always really like their second single Pyjamerama too, and if Do the Strand had been a single it would have made the top 5. And theirs was the best debut album of all time IMHO.

And totally agree about You Wear It Well, always felt it was underrated as it came out after Maggie May and sounded a bit like it.

Sylvia - yes of course. What a guitar sound.

And not often I get to play the youngster on here, but... "We Can Work It Out" was one of my old mum's favourites :wink:

Hogmeister
Dumbledore
FS Record: Top 300 in all-time FPL rankings

Post by Hogmeister »

murf wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 21:34 Neil Young
How could I forget him (saw him last year too)... yes he should be in my top 5.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Hogmeister wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 23:38
murf wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 21:34 Neil Young
How could I forget him (saw him last year too)... yes he should be in my top 5.

I was watching him on some old BBC music thing doing Heart of Gold and he was amazing. :)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Neil Young produces some real crap but when he is good he is absolutely fantastic (also kinda like it that all fans think differently as to what is good but a lot of albums are known stinkers )

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

murf wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 21:34 Bands:
The Waterboys
Pixies
REM (for years of great output and then some ok stuff)
U2 (for years of great output and then some ok stuff)
Icicle Works/Love and Rockets/Specials/Jam/one of them or 100s of others......

Solo:
Jeff Buckley
Nick Cave (cheating?)
PJ Harvey (cheating?)
Johnny Cash
Neil Young
No HMHB!!??

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

I listened to Half Man Half Biscuit at The Reading festival (couldn't get into the tent to actually see them) and whilst I love their records they sounded awful. (probably not helped by not being able to see them)

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Bands
Queen
Radiohead
Pink Floyd
Pavlov's Dog
The Pogues

Artists
David Bowie
Passenger
Lucy Spraggan
Otis Gibbs
Johnny Cash

Singles
Germ Free Adolescent - X-Ray Spex
Dickie Davis Eyes - Half Man Half Biscuit
Creep - Radiohead
Can't Stand Losing You - The Police
Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles

Albums
Bat Out Of Hell - Meatloaf
Queen II - Queen
OK Computer - Radiohead
Divers & Submarines - Passenger
The Final Cut - Pink Floyd

I think that shows how my musical tastes have changed over time from bands to singer songwriters!

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Kudos for The Final Cut. Hard to argue it's merits compared to some of their more popular stuff but a decent album in its own right (but definitely for those of a certain disposition).

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

Will copy Bill's template and some his choices for that matter. Ask me the same question in six months and my answers will no doubt change !

The Beatles (will always be the Daddy)
The Jam (check the album back catalogue. Exceptional. The "B" sides were that good. Split at the right time)
Madness (my group as a kid. One particular record song is the ultimate feel happy song)
Oasis (defined the 90s, britpop and what came with it. The period 93-97 was fantastic. Like The Jam some of those B sides...wow)
The Charlatans (liked them since "Some Friendly" and still going strong, despite a couple of sad losses to the line up)

Top 5 favourite solo artists: (including artists doing stuff on their own all by themselves with nobody with them) This is where it goes a bit more eclectic-ish
David Bowie (his 70s stuff is easily the best)
Dusty Springfield (Love Dusty's voice. Very 60s defining)
Lana Del Ray (the one modern artist to make it on my list. Dark, depressing, sexy....just unique)
Stevie Wonder (late 60s to early 80s peaked with Songs in the Key of Life)
Paul Weller (best stuff is possibly in the past but can still write a tune)

The Only One I Know (The Charlatans) - Just love this
Wings of A Dove (Madness) - see above. Musical pick me up medicine.
Sloop John B (Beach Boys) - Simply Beautiful. I know it's a cover but it can still reduce a grown man to tears.
New Rose (The Damned) - The first and ultimate punk record. Gives me wings in the gym.
Ten Storey Love Song (The Stone Roses) - either that or Sally Cinnamon but this is also a gorgeous song.

The Stone Roses (The Stone Roses) - The Daddy. No messing. My musical blueprint
Revolver (The Beatles) - My "go to" Beatles album. Taxman, I'm Only Sleeping, And Your Bird Can SIng and...and...Tomorrow Never Knows. The first dance song.
All Mod Cons (The Jam) - The best of the bunch. "To Be Someone" still sums up your 5 minutes of fame. And English Rose still takes your breath away.
The Slider (T Rex) - Just pips Electric Warrior. Love is an electric guitar.
Eight Legged Groove Machine (The Wonder Stuff) - probably the first "indie" album I bought. They never bettered it and it still sounds glorious now.

Top 5 all time greatest gigs: (appearances as part of a multiple line up or festival are okay) - Top two stand out, other three are from personal experience
Depeche Mode Pasadena 1989 as featured on the double live album 101. For a "synth" band, this is quite simply phenomenal.
Nirvana unplugged 1994 - the raw power and emotion of Kurt's voice makes the acoustic versions stand out. Still sadly missed.
Oasis V Fest 2009 - Little did I know at the time but that was the last Oasis performance and I was there. Don't want them to reform, just remember the tunes. Better than Earls Court in my opinion
The Verve V Fest 1998 (?) - Guitarist had just left but headlined as the sun was setting. The sun was setting on Britpop too. It's last hurrah. Sonnet, Lucky Man, History. A beer and a bucket hat. Happy days.
Radiohead NEC 1997 - Saw them just after OK Computer had been released. Outstanding concert. Still got my "fitter, happier" t shirt (although has shrunk a bit, it seems)

Darbyand
FISO Knight
FS Record: TFF World Cup 2014: 6th. TFF: 2020: 30th. 2022 32nd + 54th. Eggs PL 1st 2022. Tenners: 3rd 2019, 2nd 2020, 1st 2022.

Post by Darbyand »

Full entry after time for contemplation (I struggled to avoid repetition...so embraced the repetition):

Smiths
Radiohead
New Order
Divine Comedy
Elbow

Morrissey
Prince
Kate Bush
David Bowie
John Lennon

Suedehead - Morrissey
This Town Aint Big Enough For The Both Of Us - Sparks
Blue Monday - New Order
Alphabet St - Prince
Ashes to Ashes - Bowie

Parade - Prince
Ok Computer - Radiohead
Meat is Murder - Smiths
Promenade Divine Comedy
Substance - New Order

Soulwax - Astoria c.2001 [loudest gig ever, stood too close to speakers and worried for my hearing for next few days]
Muse and Coldplay* - Astoria 2000
Radiohead - Victoria Park Big Top c.2000
Prince - O2 2007
Morrissey - Brixton Academy ???

*Two bands I've tired of over the years but back then were the hot new things of British indie and promoting great debut albums in a small venue. Coldplay were in the support slot and I was so close to Chris Martin I could have reached over and plucked the globe off his piano. Not a metaphor.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I agree on Coldplay. They blew me away when I first saw them. There first two albums were brilliant.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Ooh, Blue Monday! I'd forgotten that one :-)

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Spinynorman wrote:I listened to Half Man Half Biscuit at The Reading festival (couldn't get into the tent to actually see them) and whilst I love their records they sounded awful. (probably not helped by not being able to see them)
I finally got to see HMHB about 3 years ago and they were pretty good. Reading a fan forum afterwards some speculated they were particularly good as it was the second night running they'd played live. They normally just do one offs rather than bothering with a whole tour.

The gig wouldn't make my top 5 but the encore certainly would. Trumpton Riots, Death on the Quad (it was in Cambridge) and a blistering cover of the Dead Kennedy's Holiday In Cambodia.

Genius. Put them 6th in all my top 5s!! Think you can skip the singles top 5 (6) as The Trumpton Riots cheekily sneaks onto the Back In The DHSS CD!

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

PS Think I'm going to have to do a top 5 in every category for "other folks' picks that don't make my top 5"

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Top 5 favourite albums.

Close To The Edge by Yes
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis
Thick As A Brick by Jethro Tull
National Health By National Health
Kaleidoscope Of Rainbows by Neil Ardley

Just as an aside Neil Ardley as well as being one of the leading lights in the modern British jazz movement of the sixties and seventies also produced those 3D "The Way Things Work" books for Dorling Kindersley.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Top 5 all time greatest gigs.

National Health - Mayfair Suite Birmingham - They were only the support act for Steve Hillage (who we didn't get to see due to him being late and the timing of the last train) but I had heard a bit about them. What I wasn't prepared for was to have my mind blown sitting cross legged on the floor surrounded by women dressed as pixies.

Rachel Unthank And The Winterset - Lichfield Guildhall - The Guildhall is an amazing historic venue with great acoustics. We were in the front row and it was an incredible concert and experience. I had worried about how they would sound live but they were wonderful. For the encore they stepped off the stage and sang about 2 foot away from where I was sitting.

Richard Thompson - Glastonbury Festival - This wasn't his main appearance in the acoustic tent but an impromptu set on the pyramid stage at about 11:00am in front of about 200 folks. He even took requests. The highlight was his rendition of the Who's Substitute. I still have one of the bootleg tapes that you used to be able to get back then.

The Enid - HRH Prog Festival - Didn't know what to expect. They were amazing.

Yes - Stafford Bingley Hall - Got the tickets from Virgin Records when it was a small shop in Brum and also travelled with them to and from the gig on a mini bus. Great night all round although the folks on the bus were seriously out of it. Another sitting on the floor job until the encore. One of the few gigs that reduced me to tears.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Pretzel Logic was a contender for my top 5 albums. :(

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Excellent! This'll give me something to think about on my 20 hour commute:-)

Top 5 bands:
Pixies. Has to be really. Was blown away when surfer rosa came out and still listen to them all the time in the car
Joy Division. Dark, raw and beautiful.
PJ Harvey. Dark, raw and beautiful
The Clash. Not punk. Just great music and still relevant now.
The Kinks. So much great music

Solo
Need to think a bit more but first thoughts:
Tom Waits. No comment needed.
Sinead O'Connor. Voice of an angel
Amy Winehouse. Best soul voice for a long long time.
Johnny Cash. Don't really like Country, but I do like the man in black
Is Nick Cave cheating?

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

Spinynorman wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 17:53 Pretzel Logic was a contender for my top 5 albums. :(
The news will have passed lots of people by - steely dan are my all time favourite band, and aja in my top five albums. And on the same day as the last (possibly) ever episodes of twin peaks (I'll be up watching the simulcast this morning) - a sea change in popular culture for many of us.

PleasedToMichu
FISOhead

Post by PleasedToMichu »

Top 5 favourite bands:

Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
Yes
Camel
Rolling Stones

Top 5 favourite albums:

Led Zeppelin I
The Beatles - Rubber Soul
Yes - The Yes Album
Camel - Mirage
Hendrix - Band of Gypsys

(Honorable mentions; Sopwith Camel - The Miraculous Hump Returns From the Moon and Otis Redding - Pain In My Heart)

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Top 5 bands:
Crosby Stills & Nash (& Young, on some albums)
Yes
The Beatles
Doobie Brothers
Red Hot Chili Peppers
(Runner-up, Doll by Doll aka Jackie Leven)

Top 5 solo artists:
Van Morrison
David Bowie
Bob Dylan
Ryan Adams
Stevie Nicks (for that voice!)
(Runner-up, Aimee Mann)

Top 5 albums:
Bridge Over Troubled Waters - Simon & Garfunkel
Atom Heart Mother - early Pink Floyd
Can't Buy a Thrill - Steely Dan
Sophie B Hawkins - Whaler
OK Computer - Radiohead
(Runner-up, Tommy - The Who)

Top 5 Singles:
God Only Knows - Beach Boys
Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals
She Loves You - The Beatles
Voodoo Chile - Jimi Hendrix
Honky Tonk Woman - Rolling Stones
(Runner-up, I'm into Something Good - Herman's Hermits)

PS I never realised there were so many Yes fans on this forum! They were brilliant in the early 70s but they should have retired gracefully after Close to the Edge.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish

Post by Spinynorman »

Billy Whiz wrote: 07 Oct 2017, 20:04
Top 5 Singles:
God Only Knows - Beach Boys
Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals
She Loves You - The Beatles
Voodoo Chile - Jimi Hendrix
Honky Tonk Woman - Rolling Stones
(Runner-up, I'm into Something Good - Herman's Hermits)

PS I never realised there were so many Yes fans on this forum! They were brilliant in the early 70s but they should have retired gracefully after Close to the Edge.

I would suggest retirement after Relayer which was awesome and a big improvement on Tales From Topographic Oceans but that run of The Yes Album, Fragile and Close To The Edge does indeed take some beating.

Cracking singles selection by the way. :)

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

I never thought I’d see the day when Red Hot Chili Peppers were listed under top five bands. :shock: :lol:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”