To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Albums of the Year 2017

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Albums of the Year 2017

Post by Billy Whiz »

Well it’s been a slow start (esp compared with last year, which was a vintage one) but six months in, these are my top 10:

Laura Marling – Semper Femina superb alt folk, her best yet
The Big Moon – Love in the Fourth Dimension excellent girl rock band
Perfume Genius – No Shape inventive pop from Seattle’s Mike Hadreas
Hurray for the Riff Raff – Navigator Puerto Rican rock opera, sort of
Lewis Watson – Midnight underrated singer/songwriter
Feist – Pleasure Canadian indie pop
Fazerdaze – Morningside aka Amelia Murray from Auckland, NZ
The Besnard Lakes – Until in Excess … Canadian rock, a bit prog
Amy Macdonald – Under Stars Scottish singer/songwriter
Lorde – Melodrama You know all about her …

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Re: Albums of the Year 2017

Post by murf »

Not impressed at all by Lorde's new album nor her Glasto appearance.

Laura Marling's album is pretty good, a slight return to form but not quite her best. If she makes my 2017 best of list then it will be more about the dearth of other good albums.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I already like Hurray for the Riff Raff and Amy MacDonald, so I'll give the others a try too. Cheers Billy :-)

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

If you like Lorde, have you tried Polly Scattergood?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

(Radio) 6 Music have come up with their top 20 of the year so far:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/article ... 017-so-far

Despite being a big 6 Music fan I only have one of those albums - Loyle Carner's - which is very good and a contender for album of the year, if not quite good enough to be a deserving winner. Also liked Songhoy Blues' first album but haven't heard this one yet.

They play Laura Marling a lot but she isn't on there even though it is a good album

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

bspittles wrote:If you like Lorde, have you tried Polly Scattergood?
Hmm. On first listen, she sounds like a cross between Ellie Goulding and Kate Bush, which is promising.

Most of those 6 Music albums I haven't heard. But I can't believe there are 20 albums this year that are better than Laura Marling's. Lyrically and musically, she's the Joni Mitchell of our time (in my opinion).

Magic
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Improving

Post by Magic »

Loved Kate Bush when she was in her prime. Will have to look that one out I think.

Pirlo's Beard
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Pirlo's Beard »

HAIM - Something To Tell You

This is the only album I have bought this year and the only one I need.

bigH
Treebeard
FS Record: FL Golf Major League Winner 2006

Post by bigH »

The new Slowdive album is a thing of beauty

Maldini
Dumbledore

Post by Maldini »

I agree, it's very good.

Favourite album of year so far is Orc by Oh Sees (formerly Thee Oh Sees). They just get better and better and really looking forward to their new album in a couple of months (where I believe they'll just be called OCS).

Here's a taster...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgoIwE3K ... goIwE3K_0s

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

My Desert Island Discs from 2017 (which is why there's eight)

1 Laura Marling – Semper Femina Mesmerising songs, mature yet beautiful voice, spot-on production; like a cross between Joni Mitchell and Suzanne Vega
2 The xx – I See You The third album from Romy Madley Croft and Oliver Sim, with production/programming by Jamie Smith (aka Jamie xx). As ever, anguished and intense; this time, more funky and tuneful
3 Liam Gallagher – As You Were Surprise of the year. The wild man of Oasis produces an album that’s not only much better than Noel’s, it’s better than nearly everything else too.
4 Peter Perrett – How the West Was Won He of the post-punk, New Wave 70s band The Only Ones. Out of nowhere, despite decades of drug addiction, Perrett produces a near perfect rock album
5 Tori Amos – Native Invader Her 15th album, and better than ever. A mix of melancholy and beauty that stands comparison with Kate Bush
6 The Charlatans – Different Days Tim Burgess and Co produce their best album in 20 years. Cameo appearances from Paul Weller and Johnny Marr
7 Lana Del Ray – Lust for Life The woman who invented the "female singers trying to sound like Lana Del Rey" genre. Unsurprisingly, she does it better than anyone else. Cameos from Stevie Nicks, Sean Lennon and the Weeknd
8 Jesca Hoop – Memories are Now Californian singer-songwriter on the Sub Pop label. If you've never heard her, here she is:

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

My choice for best of the year ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

The Jason Isbell is good - the best country rock album I've heard this year. I also liked War on Drugs. I thought The National and Ryan Adams were disappointing, but hey, you put Laura Marling first too, so you are obviously a man of taste and discretion 8-)

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

...aha, as indeed you must be too sir! Personal opinions - well I figured that the national and ryan adams albums were huge returns to form after recent letdowns (I especially didn't get the national's "trouble will find me") - other disappointing albums in 2017 (IMHO) from fleet foxes, and the father john misty album (whose "honeybear" is in my all time top 100) has some great songs but also some appalling dirges - as does much of his early solo stuff - and preachy lyrics which don't work for me or most others i'd imagine. The Lana del rey album I didn't like at all (and I do love "born to die") - not helped by "get free", which is a cover of radiohead's "creep" but she's changed the lyrics and doesn't give them (or the hollies) a writing credit. Or royalties, or maybe there's another court case in the offing. So it goes.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

The only stand out for me was The Navigator by Hurray For The Riff Raff.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Re my post from just a couple of days ago - I didn't (genuinely) know that this was happening, but as mentioned, figured it obvious that it would happen sooner or later ... this in the news this morning;

https://news.sky.com/story/lana-del-rey ... p-11199720

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Speaking of which, City of Stars, the main theme from La La Land, plagiarises Glenn Miller's Chattanooga Choo Choo (the world's first gold-selling record). I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but it's pretty obvious - as you can see from about 20 seconds in:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

I've decided to award my Album Of The Year to Loyle Carner.

A very good (but not quite 'great') album that maybe wins by default as nothing else has been released that is much cop. A few other good albums mentioned above (The National, Laura Marling, War On Drugs, Songhoy Blues) that would make the top 10 but all suffer in comparison with their best offerings. Loyle's is OK in that respect as it is his debut!

Most of my favourite purchases this year have been very old, either 'deluxe' versions of classics with bonus tracks or me discovering old school ska, reggae and dub.

Album Not Of The Year winner: Rico's Man From Wareika / Wareika Dub. Brilliant album and it's dub counterpart in one package. A reason to be cheerful.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”