To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Arthur Lee - RIP

A forum for discussion on Music topics whatever your taste.
Tatooine
Kevin and Perry

Arthur Lee - RIP

Post by Tatooine »

The great man has died - if you dont already have it, go buy Love's Forever Changes now it has to be one of the best albums of all time.

Tis a sad sad day.

"Oh the snot has caked against my pants"

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

If there are some not sure who he is listen to "Forever Changes"
Then you will have an idea of what we have sadly lost

hardbody
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hardbody »

Never heard of him. Saying that, I need an Arthur Lee, so I'll be back in 5.

UncleTupelo
FISOhead

Post by UncleTupelo »

Never heard of him.
I'm envious if you haven't heard of (or more importantly actually heard) Love's "Forever Changes", as it still means you have the joy of listening to it for the first time. Trust me, there is not a person alive who hasn't been astounded when first hearing this album.

Over 35 years on and it still makes most albums look like the unimaginative ramblings of a bunch of uninspired yokels.

Get down the shops and buy it!

hardbody
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hardbody »

I think I just might. Is the band called 'Love' then? Or is it by Arthur Lee?

UncleTupelo
FISOhead

Post by UncleTupelo »

Do it! Yay, the band were called Love and Arthur Lee was the slightly deranged frontman.

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

The still excellent 'Forever Changes' CD is on sale for a fiver at HMV as part of their 1000 greatest albums promotion. Was tempted to purchase it for the third time (in different formats) since the sixties.

Better value, however, might be the triple CD of Love's first three LPs for under £10 online:
http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProd ... sku=444556

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

This may be worth catching/revisiting on BBC Four tonight:

Love with Arthur Lee: Glastonbury 2003
Friday 8 September 2006 10.30pm-11.30pm

Extract of BBC review:
"Arthur Lee and Love performed a brilliant set at the Glastonbury festival in 2003, which was recorded as part of BBC Four's coverage of the summer festivals. Although Love were only together for two years they typified West Coast progressive rock and produced Forever Changes, one of the most enduring albums of the period. "

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/music/feat ... -lee.shtml

hardbody
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hardbody »

SamD wrote:This may be worth catching/revisiting on BBC Four tonight:

Love with Arthur Lee: Glastonbury 2003
Friday 8 September 2006 10.30pm-11.30pm

Extract of BBC review:
"Arthur Lee and Love performed a brilliant set at the Glastonbury festival in 2003, which was recorded as part of BBC Four's coverage of the summer festivals. Although Love were only together for two years they typified West Coast progressive rock and produced Forever Changes, one of the most enduring albums of the period. "

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/music/feat ... -lee.shtml
I'll be setting the Sky+ for this. Still not bought the album, this will be the acid test of whether or not the hardbody's money will be spent on it.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

hardbody wrote:
I'll be setting the Sky+ for this. Still not bought the album, this will be the acid test of whether or not the hardbody's money will be spent on it.
Hope you enjoy, its propper 60's music rather than the pop that is normaly trotted out as representative of the era.
Do hope that it gets a good audience. Not sure what people will make of Lee he was different to say the least

El Tel of Ealing
Grumpy Old Man

Post by El Tel of Ealing »

I remember 'Alone again or' from the Beeb's broadcast at the time.The old codger had put together a really tight young band with girls on strings,brass,the lot for his European comeback tours.Remarkably faithful rendition of the album.Unmissable.He really was the coolest of the cool.

hardbody
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hardbody »

El Tel of Ealing wrote:I remember 'Alone again or' from the Beeb's broadcast at the time.The old codger had put together a really tight young band with girls on strings,brass,the lot for his European comeback tours.Remarkably faithful rendition of the album.Unmissable.He really was the coolest of the cool.
Cooler than Jim Morrison?

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

hardbody wrote:
El Tel of Ealing wrote:I remember 'Alone again or' from the Beeb's broadcast at the time.The old codger had put together a really tight young band with girls on strings,brass,the lot for his European comeback tours.Remarkably faithful rendition of the album.Unmissable.He really was the coolest of the cool.
At the time there were a few like Morrison, but there was only one Lee, watch and make up your own mind, but do remember he was getting on a bit in the gig they are showing.
If you do watch would be interested in your view good or bad

hardbody
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hardbody »

mikeg13 wrote:
hardbody wrote:
At the time there were a few like Morrison, but there was only one Lee, watch and make up your own mind, but do remember he was getting on a bit in the gig they are showing.
.....and my view you shall get my man.

El Tel of Ealing
Grumpy Old Man

And madder and badder.I always thought Hendrix based his look on Arthur.But the heroin got to him so early that it's a subjective call.Not to knock the old Lizard King but his drunken stripping did make Jim a bit of a caricature of the rock star of the era.Close call.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

El Tel of Ealing wrote:And madder and badder.I always thought Hendrix based his look on Arthur.But the heroin got to him so early that it's a subjective call.Not to knock the old Lizard King but his drunken stripping did make Jim a bit of a caricature of the rock star of the era.Close call.
Could be right must admit never thought of the 2 like that, went to fair few of Hendrix gigs including one of last, fantastic stage act far better than on record, to see him play Star spangled banner using feedback from mike stands one of the "great" memories of the time.
Allways telling my son what they missed from seeing these guys, couldnt happen today they would never get away with some of the stuff :lol:

fancy dan
Grumpy Old Dan
Location: Having a secret meeting in the basement of my brain
FS Record: Winner of S4's big WC prediction game - and 2-time winner of the Premier League A game!

Post by fancy dan »

Saw him live a couple of years ago on the revival tour and he still had it. Forever Changes is my favourite 60s album, along with Astral Weeks. Arthur Lee wss the man, Jim Morrison was a drunken charlatan.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Have just downloaded it and am now giving it a 'first listen'. Must admit the first track 'Alone Again Or' isn't really my cup of tea, although sounds a little Barclay James Harvest which I do like... The second track however (A House is Not a Motel), is much more like it.
I get the feeling this is going to grow on me, which the best music tends to do in my experience.

There are elements of several bands in this. BJH as I said before, Yes, Jim Morrison and even Jack Johnson....!

I'm liking it already!! :)

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

jester wrote:Have just downloaded it and am now giving it a 'first listen'. Must admit the first track 'Alone Again Or' isn't really my cup of tea, although sounds a little Barclay James Harvest which I do like... The second track however (A House is Not a Motel), is much more like it.
I get the feeling this is going to grow on me, which the best music tends to do in my experience.

There are elements of several bands in this. BJH as I said before, Yes, Jim Morrison and even Jack Johnson....!

I'm liking it already!! :)
Bear in mind when this was made, not everybodies cup of tea but his influance is still heard in todays music (probably more than when it first came out) bugs the hell out of me when 60/70's music is talked about/ played on radio it seldom is the "music" of the day thats played just the pop stuff.
Bit like in future Cheaky girls being seen as representing todays music

SamD
FISO Knight

Post by SamD »

My wife is a regular at Glastonbury. I, however, turned down a spare ticket in 2003 and regretted the decision as soon as Arthur Lee appeared on TV. His band that weekend were excellent but (imo) no one can match the Love quintet of Lee, Maclean, Echols, Forssi and Stuart on the 'Forever Changes' album of 1967.

Music, like politics and football, brings together as many as it separates. We shall watch the TV repeat tonight and no doubt reawaken memories of sixties culture and our younger years. Others will have - or may gain - different views. And that's fine...

UncleTupelo
FISOhead

Post by UncleTupelo »

I saw Arthur Lee and Love a couple of years ago at a festival in Canterbury (well it was actually in Faversham) and he sounded superb.

Incidentally if you like this kindof sixties pyschedelic garage music it may be worth also trying out the criminally underatted 1968 album "Odessey and Oracle" by The Zombies.

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

UncleTupelo wrote:I saw Arthur Lee and Love a couple of years ago at a festival in Canterbury (well it was actually in Faversham) and he sounded superb.

Incidentally if you like this kindof sixties pyschedelic garage music it may be worth also trying out the criminally underatted 1968 album "Odessey and Oracle" by The Zombies.
Did enjoy the Lee gig, agree about Zombies, Time of the season great track.
Wonder if any who have not heard this type of 60's music liked it, other bands loved (bit different) Big Brother allso Capt Beefheart

Billy Whiz
Rhubarb Crumbledore

Post by Billy Whiz »

Forever Changes is a classic album not so much because it's a masterpiece (I don't think it is - it's not consistent enough) but because it was highly original and helped to influence the course of pop/rock music after 1967. It's a bit like a cross between the Kinks and the Velvet Underground, if you can imagine such a thing. It's a highly nostalgic record for those of us who are 45-plus, but I'm not sure that people coming to it for the first time today would appreciate its significance.

As for the Doors, Jim Morrison was an absurd exhibitionist, but that doesn't detract from how great the Doors were. Their album "The Doors" also came out in 1967, and that was a masterpiece, IMO better in every way than Forever Changes - lyrically, musically, and most of all in the emotional power of the songs (which included Break on Through, Soul Kitchen, Light My Fire and the epic The End). I say that not to disrespect Forever Changes, by the way, more to defend Jim Morrison/the Doors.

Anyway, RIP Arthur Lee, a true rock original.

Wayward Lad
FISO Knight
FS Record: 2008 AFL Dreamteam & Supercoach Double Winner..

Post by Wayward Lad »

hardbody wrote:
mikeg13 wrote:
hardbody wrote:
Did you ever get to watch this then Hardbody ?? If so, what was your view (interested as ive never heard of him either !!)

hardbody
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hardbody »

ianovich wrote:
hardbody wrote:
mikeg13 wrote:
hardbody wrote:
Did you ever get to watch this then Hardbody ?? If so, what was your view (interested as ive never heard of him either !!)
It's still in the Sky+, and I've not got round to it yet! I will post when I finally watch it! :lol:

mikeg13
FISO Knight

Post by mikeg13 »

ianovich wrote: Did you ever get to watch this then Hardbody ?? If so, what was your view (interested as ive never heard of him either !!)
If your taste in music is similar to my 18 year old son, then for sure you have heard those who have been influanced by his music

Wayward Lad
FISO Knight
FS Record: 2008 AFL Dreamteam & Supercoach Double Winner..

Post by Wayward Lad »

ive downloaded the CD as I was intrigued, struggled through the first 2 tracks to be honest - can someone in the know recommend any key tracks worth a listen (im not certain I can listen to them all)

thelip
FISO Jedi Braveheart
FS Record: Variable

Post by thelip »

ianovich wrote:ive downloaded the CD as I was intrigued, struggled through the first 2 tracks to be honest - can someone in the know recommend any key tracks worth a listen (im not certain I can listen to them all)
Alona Again Or is the most celebrated.

hardbody
Grumpy Old Man

Post by hardbody »

hardbody wrote:
ianovich wrote:
hardbody wrote:
mikeg13 wrote:
hardbody wrote:
It's still in the Sky+, and I've not got round to it yet! I will post when I finally watch it! :lol:
Finally got round to watching it last night......and have to say I was very impressed. The songs were catchy and he had remarkable stage presence for an old guard. I'll be going out and buying Forever Changes now, I think it will be a fantastic album.

El Tel of Ealing
Grumpy Old Man

There's a movie in the London Film Festival called 'Love Story'.It's a documentary featuring interviews with Arthur and band members completed just before his death.A worthy and lasting tribute,I hope.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Music”