To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Setting up a new website - advice would be most appreciated

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
MarquisMark
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Setting up a new website - advice would be most apprecia

Post by MarquisMark »

andycoull wrote: The fact that i have no site yet - i just put any old thing in there. That hasn't caused the error has it ?

Andy
where are you uploading the files to? if you're referring to 'Site Name' then yeah any old thing will do - but as far as where you are installing the Joomla - where are you putting the files?

must be somewhere thats giving you a MySQL database?

you don't need a site as such yet, but you need some kind of domain with hosting to install joomla

andycoull
Grumpy Old Teuchter

Post by andycoull »

A ha ....

I downloaded Joomla and nothing happened :( I looked on the Joomla site and it told me to download XAMPP and start the services and then move the Joomla files to within the XAMPP directory under HTDOCS and then it talked me through the setting up of Joomla.

I fear I have missed a fairly crucial step :?: :oops:

It certainly not the same as finding a piece of useful software and hitting download followed by install

and to make matters worse I have Nani as my 3rd sub :roll: :roll:

MarquisMark
Grumpy Old Man

Post by MarquisMark »

ahhhhh - you're trying to install it locally on your machine

don't do that, it's a royal pain in the arse - if you wanna get to grips with joomla, use a free hosting site

http://www.joomlahostingfree.com/

sign up - don;t choose a domain yet, just skip it - then when all is sorted click on Website Manager on the top row

then click on SubDomain Manager and set up a sub domain

then go to FTP manager on the left and enter a user and password (leave path blank) and click 'Create FTP Account'
(note - at the top of this page it will tell you what your FTP hostname is to go along with your new FTP user and password)

Now - download FTP Client Filezilla(download the Client - not the Server)

In Filezilla click on File > Site Manager > New Site and give it a name

Enter the details from your hosting FTP page. You only need to pay attention to these fields:

Host: iriswebs.onlinewebshop.net (example)
Logon Type: Normal
User: 54434_mark
Password: XXXXXX

Click Connect, it will Save & Connect

You will now see a folder with your site name - enter that folder and this is where you upload your site. Remove the index.htm file you see as that will override the Joomla index.php file - and upload your files

When done, go to the URL you registered and you should see the Joomla install screen

You'll also need to create a MySQL database in your hosting control panel as per the install but i guess you know about that if you went though the steps on your home puter (i.e. - MySQL Manager - create database and not name and password for joomla install. After creating the database - it will show you the hostname - make a note of that too )

The good thing now is it will all just work, and you can back up your site anytime you like by downloading it - and you can also use PHPMyAdmin via the control panel to back up your database - ready to move on to your 'proper' hosting

But for now you can use the free hosting here and it'll give you a much better feel of how Joomla will run on the web rather than at home

There are a couple of details you'll need to change when downloading the site and uploading to another host, but i can help with that when the time comes

Deppy
FISOhead
FS Record: FPL/TFF side game champ 11/12, FISO5AS CHAMP 11/12, TFFOO7 CHAMP 11/12.

Post by Deppy »

Hi, Has any of you ever used Kompozer to create your websites?
I have done a course using Dreamweaver but cannot afford the software at home. Kompozer seems to have similar attributes as Dreamweaver so seems familiar to me.
I just wondered if anyone had any problems using Kompozer when it comes to uploading to a host and managing after that?

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

Hello again.

Busy with my site on and off over the last couple of weeks, addressing most of the issues raised earlier in the thread. Tried to stop links taking visitors outside the site - but not with great success; as marquismark had surmised a while back, the package i used doesn't give full control over the code, so haven't yet been able to get the anchor/code issue sorted (will be mailing the company to see if possible). Came up with a work-around however - embedding the main scoreboard in the site itself, and loading screenshots of the old scoreboards (which don't need to be updated). Any pub links i've moved to the back of the site. Still have an issue with the scoreboard from googledocs; doesn't appear to be properly working for those viewers using IE, but ok in firefox, safari etc. Am guessing that this is a common problem, and not something that could be sorted from my end?

Have also signed up to google analytics (which is how i knew that so many visitors were still using IE), have a voucher for google ads (came with the package i bought), did all the basic SEO, and generally tidying things up, taking out some unnecessary animations which look nice at first, but slow the site load times (an issue for those accessing from phones etc.). Just as importantly, have sorted new business cards and stationery to match the new look colours and fonts. Some of my customers in the real world noticed this before anything else - i still think off-line promotion is more important than on-line, at least in the entertainment/pub business.

Any more comments, please let me know - and good to see that others have joined in the thread with questions re their own sites.

And still top of fiso in tff - just. Could be an interesting run in, as am closing slightly on the overall lead too. Not sure if i shouldn't let this distract from work, or the other way around!

cheers

steve

Stick
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Completely private

Post by Stick »

just had a quick look, the embedded scoreboard looks really good i really like that

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

A return to this topic - my site has been up and running for a couple of months now, i've just been tinkering with the layout and fonts again. Currently have a movie poll running, trying to engage with the customer; there will be a special film quiz later in the summer based on the movies that people vote for (feel free to join in).

Most of the questions and topics in the thread have been dealt with, i certainly learned a lot setting it all up, and hope one or two out in fisoland got some ideas, if not inspiration, for their own sites. Good and bad points of using website builder (through webeden) - easy to follow for a novice like myself, took about three weeks to come up with a serviceable site from scratch, and literally zero knowledge. But, and it's a big but; the site doesn't work if your browser doesn't support flash, so that's anyone with an apple mobile, or accessing say from a library or work computer where you don't have authorisation to install flash.

After all that, the site hasn't actually got me any more real life business, at least not yet. But i'm thinking that's more to do with the economy than any glaring mistakes i've made - at least i hope so, as ever, any constructive criticism is most welcome.

steve

Jules
Grumpy Old Web Guru

Post by Jules »

quizking wrote:Currently have a movie poll running, trying to engage with the customer
Hi Steve,

I'm a rare visitor to this forum and unfortunately missed this thread until now. I both design and develop websites by hand, so don't have much experience with the WYSIWYG website builders, but I can give you some general advice that may help when you decide to give the site a refresh.

The first tip is to ask yourself 'who is the website aimed at?'. Is it aimed at random people who like quizzes, people looking for a quiz local to them, people who have taken part in your quizzes or is it aimed at people who want to hire you to run a quiz? From looking at your site, it could be all of those things. That's not a bad thing, necessarily, but your site will be more successful if you can present it in a way that each of those groups of visitors can find the information they need quickly and easily. Grouping things into sections might help, with the homepage presenting the most important part of that section in a box or under a heading.

An example is that you have a page called "News & Quizzes". To me, the two are different topics and as such deserve their own separate pages. Sectionalising content is not just about giving something it's own page or it's own little box, it's about making something well ordered and neatly packaged. The structure of your site should make it fairly obvious where to find something, whereas at the moment it's a bit hap-hazard.

The second tip is all about 'the message'. The homepage needs to leave the visitor with a clear idea of what the site is about (which yours does, but could be better), but more importantly it needs to present that message in a clear and easy to interpret way. Your homepage isn't bad, but it could be a lot easier for different users to find the information that they have come to the site for. For example, you could start off the homepage by giving a clear statement of what the site contains, perhaps using bullet points, something like:

------------
Are you a quiz fan?
We run regular quizzes for pubs in the Central London area. These include:
- Sundays: The Lyttleton Arms, Mornington Crescent (click here for more details)
- Mondays: The North Pole... (more details)
- Tuesdays: Boadicea... (more details)
- Wednesdays (1st and 3rd of every month): Theodore Bullfrog... (more details)

Are you looking for a quiz provider?
We also provide quizzes for:
- Pubs and Bars
- Corporate Events
- Parties
- Charity Nights

Click here for more details of all of the quiz services we can offer.

Looking for the quiz results?
We publish the latest scores from all of our quizzes to allow those taking part to keep track of their progress. Click here for the scoreboards.
--------------

You might find that by thinking of who the site is aimed at and the message you want to convey, that certain parts of the site are far less important than others. For example the scoreboards may be important to you, but if they are only important to two or three of your regular quiz players, perhaps it doesn't need to be so prominent on the homepage and something like the forum or the polls need to be given that prominence instead?

Anyway, basically the key is to be clear of who the website is for and what message you want to tell them.

I'm sure I can think of some more tips but I'll leave you to ponder on those for the time being!

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Thanks - some great points. I'd been concentrating on making sure there aren't any broken links, checking alt tags, changing the fonts (now using trebuchet ms bold) etc etc., so i'd taken my eye off the ball when it came to the "message" of the site. Yes, it's aimed at both letting joe public know which quizzes are on, and also to attract potential bar owners, corporate clients - i'm going to rethink which sections go where.

I've been using google analytics, which comes up with some incredibly detailed stats. Funnily enough the scoreboard pages have been the most viewed - my regular teams are very competitive - but then they are already customers, so these pages aren't in effect attracting new business, though they are popular.

p.s. have also set up http://www.coolforcats.webeden.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as an extra site, to see hou that goes
Last edited by quizking on 11 Jan 2012, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

Wyld
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 25th in the old BBC comp, perpetual mini-league champion...er, that is it

Post by Wyld »

quizking wrote:Thanks - some great points. I'd been concentrating on making sure there aren't any broken links, checking alt tags, changing the fonts (now using trebuchet ms bold) etc etc., so i'd taken my eye off the ball when it came to the "message" of the site. Yes, it's aimed at both letting joe public know which quizzes are on, and also to attract potential bar owners, corporate clients - i'm going to rethink which sections go where.

I've been using google analytics, which comes up with some incredibly detailed stats. Funnily enough the scoreboard pages have been the most viewed - my regular teams are very competitive - but then they are already customers, so these pages aren't in effect attracting new business, though they are popular.
In web speak, this is what's called a "community". Companies pay millions trying to build them up. I'd be spending my time nurturing it, if I was you ;-)

Jules
Grumpy Old Web Guru

Post by Jules »

quizking wrote:Thanks - some great points. I'd been concentrating on making sure there aren't any broken links, checking alt tags, changing the fonts (now using trebuchet ms bold) etc etc., so i'd taken my eye off the ball when it came to the "message" of the site. Yes, it's aimed at both letting joe public know which quizzes are on, and also to attract potential bar owners, corporate clients - i'm going to rethink which sections go where.

So it would make sense to spend some time improving the section for your regular customers to view their stats / scoreboards. Once you've packaged their section up nicely you can concentrate on the other key part of your site - trying to get some new business!

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Bump - a few more months down the line, and the website has indeed been attracting some business. Not from the pub trade - business is dire across the entire sector - but have had several corporate bookings, and a link-up with an entertainments agency partly due to the site. So i'm quite happy with how it's worked out; am always thinking of potential improvements and additions, for example may soon have a "gallery" featuring shots of winning teams with their trophies, flattering pictures of potential venues etc. New ideas all the time.

And while on topic, i'm still taking bookings for the christmas period. So if you run a business in the london area and might like a quiz for your christmas function for example, or your company has a social secretary looking for party ideas; best get in touch!

steve

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Bump again. Many changes and some success since setting up the site nearly two years ago. Over 13.000 hits, and learning how to set one site up prompted me to launch another, for a separate business project, also with some success.

As this time last year, am taking last minute bookings for the christmas period - please get in touch if interested.

And am bumping the topic again as i've redesigned the site from scratch, for a cleaner look (the previous front page had become very cluttered), please do visit

http://www.quizking.eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and let me know what you think. One or two tweaks might be in order, but i think it's nearly there.

cheers

steve

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

A few random thoughts, hope you don't mind:-

-Your tagline and purpose needs to be stronger, include your USP if possible?
-Why a map of the world? Is this your target audience? I'd have a picture of one of your events as background?
-You could combine the comments and upcoming events into a twitterfeed/account?
-A lot of randomness in the tiles on the homepage, maybe break them down into more functional areas? e.g. Members area, upcoming events and booking - you could have sub tiles when you float over these for the next level.

If the focus of the site is to drive business then the homepage should aim do that? If you're trying to get Christmas booking at the moment youshould at least have some tinsel there :P

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Wahey, quick feedback, thanks.

re a couple of those points;

the map of the world is just a graphic feature at the moment - though i do have some work abroad - i may track down a europe map instead (as i have a .eu domain)

I will indeed be adding some (subtle) holly/tinsel nearer christmas. First christmas party is next week already.

The tiles might appear to be in a random order, but from googleanalytics, i've put them in order of page hits that the site has been getting over the years. Still some tweaking to do here especially near bottom of the list; credits and miscellaneous can be grouped for example.

As for the tagline and usp -this is tricky, as discussed earlier in this thread a couple of years back, because the one site is meant to target more than one audience. Punters need to be able to see where the gigs are, potential corporate clients need to see about what i've done and how to get in touch, bar managers like to see links for their own businesses, and that i'm doing some advertising for them (as most can't be bothered to do it themselves).

As for twitter (and other social media), it hasn't caught on with my site - had buttons and links for twitter, facebook etc. on the last site incarnation, but they weren't being used. And i don't like twitter anyway. At least with the comments box, customers can add info if they like, but i have final control of what's on the front page of the site.

All good though, thanks for the feedback and i'll be acting on that over the next couple of hours. Any more from anyone, let me know.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Which area of the UK are you focused on?
At the moment it looks London based and that may put some if they don't live in London but the site doesn't make clear what area you cover.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Yes, i'm based in london, but the contact page says i'm willing to work elsewhere. A lot of potential customers will have found the site by searching, and the meta-tags all feature "london". Don't want too much writing on the front page - that was what i felt was wrong with the last design, it was getting too cluttered up.

Thaks for the comments so far, i've tidied the menu already, more details to sort no doubt.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

Looks much less cluttered and the larger tag works for me. I am with surprised about the map of the world though, I'd have a London map for sure, then have it lear in booking that you're willing to travel anywhere?

How about a rolling ticker type upcoming events if the landlords want advertising? For example:-

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Woah, too much, too busy, i can have more pictures within the site, i don't want them on the front page... I had a ticker tape on the last site, just with lettering, and i still felt it looked as though i was trying too hard. Plus, there's now html5 for mobiles to consider (which wasn't a feature when i set the first site up), and any extra pictures just appear sequentially rather than spaced around a page on a proper sized screen.

As mentioned, for the moment the background map is just a design feature - though i'm quite happy to have traffic from abroad, had around 20% from outside the uk in the last 12 months; partly because i was writing a quiz for a charity in the states.

But thanks for the input, and taking the trouble to put something together!

cheers

steve

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Re: Setting up a new website - advice would be most appreciated

Post by quizking »

Blimey, just found this after a bit of a search - finding link to help re an example for another thread.
Business still going, though now targetting corporate functions rather than pub quizzes - the site has had five or so revamps since 2012, and grew to about 60 pages but now slimmed down to 8. And the site format had a big mobile friendlier jump two years ago - though am still looking for new ideas and innovations, as I can't see that my current provider will hang on much longer.

Anyhoo, have a look at quizking.eu and it'll be sure to change yet again soon.
Last edited by Vid on 23 Jun 2018, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Was reminded of this topic as it was FISO's birthday this week - and back when I was first setting up a proper website I had lots of useful help from fellow fiso users. And frankly there won't be much fantasy football (and no fantasy cricket) to worry about for a while. Many changes with my quiz business since then (and I now have another couple of businesses and several websites too); the brexit fiasco meant having to move to a different address just in case I lost the dot eu domain name (which I do still own, but it now forwards to the new address) and I took the opportunity to build a new site with a new and much better provider, now at quizking.net and doing very nicely thank you. Or at least it was up until this week; the current black swan event will have hit hundreds of thousands of small businesses - including my own as have had cancellations for events already, more to come no doubt - anyway, an excuse for a shameless plug.... I'm very much open for business, and available to run quizzes for any sort of corporate or team building event, promotion or party, in london, around britain or even further afield if transport restrictions allow. And feel free to contact me directly rather than through one of my agents (to cut down costs) if you fancy having a quiz event at your company, wedding, funeral, whatever.

Anyways, please do have a look if you have a few minutes - the current site has video backgrounds, many playable music rounds uploaded with more to come, and hundreds of picture rounds (and on the sister quizpics site too).

cheers, and happy 20th to FISO

steve

www.quizking.net

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

Can you run a live group quiz online, such as via Google Hangouts? I'll be amazed if London isn't fully shut down soon for about 2 months or more.

My children are having e-schooling via Google Hangouts at the moment and it works quite well, particularly for the older ones, although what will happen with their A Level and GCSE grades we wait to hear.

If you want help trying out an online quiz on the fiso members just let me know.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I love the look of that homepage. :)

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Hi, good timing, i hadn't been on here for a few days and now just happened to pop by and there are some positive messages, yay. I'll be creating lots more quiz content (mainly picture rounds - not dissimilar to what is done at sporcle - and music rounds over the next few weeks and maybe a podcast/vidcast (quizcast?). Will be getting very busy very quickly once this all blows over, today's tasks include getting in touch with some old friends to set them up with future work as so much else is falling through.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Spinynorman wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 11:36 I love the look of that homepage. :)
Thank you sir.

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

quizking wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 12:50 Hi, good timing, i hadn't been on here for a few days and now just happened to pop by and there are some positive messages, yay. I'll be creating lots more quiz content (mainly picture rounds - not dissimilar to what is done at sporcle - and music rounds over the next few weeks and maybe a podcast/vidcast (quizcast?). Will be getting very busy very quickly once this all blows over, today's tasks include getting in touch with some old friends to set them up with future work as so much else is falling through.
Just to mention, there is a weekly Sporcle quiz thread on here, and I'll post a link to this thread so that participants can see the quizzes you are putting on your site. There are quite a few quizzers on this site (there is also a daily trivia quiz thread too somewhere) so anything you add to your site will no doubt be appreciated. It would be interesting to know if you get interactive online quizzes up and running (don't use Hangouts but think it is something that schools are looking at using, along with Teams). Good luck

bluenosey
Dumblenose
FS Record: FISO Goals Champ 2018/19 & 2019/20

Post by bluenosey »

First time I've had a look at this and it's really slick. Nice one 8-)

I can lose myself in this site for a bit with all the quizzes. The best of scores are a nice touch.

Had a look at the picture quizzes and the music. With regard to the music, do you need some sort of licence ? I remember going to a quiz years ago where the music round stopped suddenly because the pub didn't have a licence, or something like that.

Are you on linkedin, unbiased ? And are you in cahoots with any businesses that plug your business and vice versa ? I haven't read the full thread so apologies if Ive missed something.

But overall, top drawer :D

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Thanks bluenosey, lots of points there.

There are several levels of copyright re the music (as i understand it), from creating a new piece at one end, to just copying someone else's work at the other,and it would be tricky to monetise by selling music rounds as such. But what i do does at least have some creative input on my part. All venues do have a PRS licence.

I'll be tidying up a sister site which has even more picture rounds, I've written over 200 i think and more to come. Of course the answers aren't on site, as it's primary purpose has been to project the rounds in colour at a venue (as i hand out b and w copies to individual teams), I don't know of any other quizzes that do this.

And thanks for the positive comments, I'll be back with more info soon.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Back again, I now have "zoom" which i hadn;t even heard of until this week but several friends have recommended. I'm mostly on facebook for now (ahem, showing my age there) but can also link from here, thinking of running zoom meetings to run a quiz maybe every couple of evenings, and link to a page on my site with a picture round and a music round as well as some "live" questions hosted by myself on zoom. Will let you all know, it might become a regular thing

quizking
Grumpy Old Man

Post by quizking »

Video on my site saying what's going on with the quiz
https://www.quizking.net/quizcast.html

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”