To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Ingenious way to get rid of SPAM - For Free!!!

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2 Top 100 finishes in TFFO; £270 in CYKI since 2008

Ingenious way to get rid of SPAM - For Free!!!

Post by DixieDean »

At work we have a very basic setup for mail - just POP accounts and no mail server so we were relying on the basic spam features of Microsoft Entourage (the Mac equivalent of Outlook Express). So we were getting 100s, sometimes 1000s, of spam emails a week.

I looked into buying a mailserver and running Spam Assassin but the cost and admin was prohibitive.

So... someone suggested to me that I should use Google Mail to do the Spam filtering for me and it works!!!

Basically, you set up a GMail account and then in the settings you can add extra POP Accounts from other domains. Once you've set Gmail to check for email on your main account it will filter the SPAM. Then on your computer you set Outlook (or whatever you use) to collect your messages from GMail.

All the spam gets left on their server and your mailbox at home just contains the mail you want. Job done!!!

If anyone is interested, I'll post exact instructions on how to do it.

Cheers

Rich

Marquee_Mark
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL - not in the top 10

Re: Ingenious way to get rid of SPAM - For Free!!!

Post by Marquee_Mark »

Google don't f*ck about do they.

I though I was just gonna see the words "BUY A MAC" - you're broadening your horizons Rich!

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

I'm a highly skilled IT bod... it's just that I like winding you up!!! :P :wink:

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

Nice one Dixie.Took about two minutes.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

My pleasure... Google's Spam filtering is second to none and they say that the more people that click the 'Report Spam' button if they do get a rogue message the better it will get.

DixieDean
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by DixieDean »

Bumped because I thought some may have missed this... It works a treat!!! :D

Marquee_Mark
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL - not in the top 10

Post by Marquee_Mark »

Keep bumpin it Dixie - well worth knowing about.

Ooops, did I just inadvertantly BUMP?

Glyn1972
Treebeard
FS Record: Just behind last place

Post by Glyn1972 »

I've just routed all of my emails through Gmail and it seems like it's the dogs. Nice to see others agree. Didn't realise that they accumulate spam triggers from all users to determine future spam. How good is that?

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

They found this:
CITIBANK INTERNATIONAL NEW YORK
DIRECTOR, FOREIGN OPERATIONS DEPARTMENT
ADDRESS: 87-11 Queens Boulevard, Elmhurst, NY 11373

OUR REF: CTBNYUS/BBU

From Desktop of Mr. kelvin Williams
DIRECTOR OF FUNDS CLEARANCE UNIT.
E-mail: kevinwilliams398.....om

Attention Fund Beneficiary,

Payment Release Instruction from Federal Reserve Bank of New York

Acting on our capacity as the international correspondent bank to the International Monetary Fund Organization, this is to officially notify you that we have received a confirmation advice from the International Monetary Funds External Auditors Committee, World Bank, United Nations Organization and the Federal Reserve Bank of America respectively via International Payment Voucher Number: IMF/FRBWDC/-93WB82UN567-G requesting our bank Citibank of New York, to disburse your due wining/inheritance contract payment valued at Ten Million Three Hundred Thousand United States Dollars (US$10.3M) in your favor.

In consideration of the above, you have been issued with this Exclusive Reference Identification Number (IMF/FRB-NY/9USXX10751/09)Transfer Allocation No.: FRB/X44/701LN/NYC/US, Password: 339331, Pin Code: 78569, Certificate of Merit No: 104, Release Code No: 0876; Secret Code: XXTN014. Having received these vital payment numbers, you are instantly qualified to receive and confirm your payment within the next 96hrs. As necessary clearance has been granted from the International Monetary Funds External Auditors to release the funds to you with immediate effect.

In view of this directive received from the International Monetary Funds (IMF), we have on our own part verified your payment file as directed to us, and your name is next on the list of outstanding fund beneficiaries to receive their payment at this Second quarter of year 2018. With that being done, you are required to urgently contact Citibank in New

We wish to inform you of the need for you to also re-confirm the following information before the Citibank to enable us proceed with the preliminary arrangements that will enhance the immediate release of your funds. Owing to security reasons, be clearly informed that we will not respond to any phone calls/general inquiries placed to our bank with regards to the remittance of your funds by beneficiaries as we are barred from doing so, you are therefore advised to communicate only with the accredited officer for further remittance advice.

1) Full Name;
2) Full Address;
3) Your contact telephone and fax number;
4) Your Age and Profession;
5) Copy of any valid form of your Identification;
6) Your Bank name;
7) Your Bank Address;
8) Account name and Number;
8) ABA/Routing Number;
10) Swift or Sort Code:

Thank you for your anticipated co-operation.

TREAT AS URGENT.
Mr. Kelvin Williams
DIRECTOR OF FUNDS CLEARANCE UNIT.
CITIBANK NEW YORK
----------------------------------------------------

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”