To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Printer Scam?? HELP

A forum for discussion on Science and Information Technology matters and queries (including PCs, the Internet, TVs, Mobile Phones, Ipods and other gadgets).
blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Printer Scam?? HELP

Post by blahblah »

I tried using, my slightly neglected, printer and it didn't\doesn't work properly ie misses lines and only prints bottom of the lines it does.

So I looked up the HP Support thing... Cutting a long story short: the did a Remote Login..... say I have Network something meaning the Computer has been hacked...

If it wasn't before, then it has been now?

The number that rang me is 0008000927766001.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Re: Printer Scam?? HELP

Post by Mav3rick »

Don't listen to any phone based advice telling you that you've been hacked/compromised in any way. The first thing is (obviously you know this but just for anyone else) don't install any software that anyone asks you to unless you're completely 100% totally sure what you're installing and why.

I'd avoid logging on to anything like internet banking until you're sure that the pc is clean. It doesn't really sound like you've been hacked (more likely HP support's diagnosis process is just rubbish), but I'd want to scan and clean the PC to be sure.

In terms of your PC, just do the sensible and simple thing really, which is install a good virus checker and/or malware detector (in fact at this stage I'd be tempted to install (and run) a few one after the other just in case they pick up different threats.

Personally I like and use Malwarebytes:
https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Alongside a normal (free) virus checker such as Bitdefender (which I use) or Avast:
https://www.bitdefender.co.uk/solutions/free.html
https://www.avast.com/index

You shouldn't need to pay for good virus protection these days since the free products are good enough (although I have paid for the Malwarebytes upgrade), but I'd use any trials you can at least temporarily and run full scans a few times before and after re-boots.

The printer sounds like blocked inkjet nozzles perhaps, it happens to mine if it's been off a while and the printer has a "clean nozzles function" that usually fixes the issue.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

This idiot used the top of the Google search which was http://www.uswebxsolution.com/development.php

I have Spybot S&D, and ran it straight afterwards.... I'm downloading and running the Malware one too

Any idea how I know the pc is clean?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

Just run and re-run Malwarebytes, Bitdefender and Avast. They will identify and remove/quarantine/alert you to any threats. Sometimes different virus checkers are better at picking up different types of threats and in your shoes I'd run several through full, detailed scans a few times just to make myself feel safe.

I'd then pick my favourite (or read some online reviews of the best of them) and keep a couple running with real-time scanning enabled. I think Malwarebytes has a fully-functional free trial for a month or so, I'd definitely leave that running on your PC for as long as the trial lasts.

Note that Malwarebytes should ideally be installed alongside a normal virus checker as they do slightly different but complimentary jobs. Thats the setup I have - a (paid for) upgraded Malwarebytes running alongside Bitdefender free.

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

blahblah wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 15:57 Any idea how I know the pc is clean?
You all sorted out now Blah? Hope there was nothing dodgy installed in the end?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Mav3rick wrote: 25 Nov 2017, 19:01
blahblah wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 15:57 Any idea how I know the pc is clean?
You all sorted out now Blah? Hope there was nothing dodgy installed in the end?
Ran a few things a few times, and only 2 ancient things have never been zapped by Spybot are there.

Still a bit wary of using it for money stuff though.

I'll post on the HP Forum tomorrow about it....

It seems to have been a "legit" Company that sells stuff, so should be OK?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Mav3rick »

If the scans are clean I'd say you're fine so that's good news :D

Vid
Head Moderator
FS Record: winning is a distant memory

Post by Vid »

blahblah wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 15:10 I tried using, my slightly neglected, printer and it didn't\doesn't work properly ie misses lines and only prints bottom of the lines it does.

So I looked up the HP Support thing... Cutting a long story short: the did a Remote Login..... say I have Network something meaning the Computer has been hacked...

If it wasn't before, then it has been now?

The number that rang me is 0008000927766001.
Long neglected? If it's ink then the cartridges may well have dried out either partially or completely. Don't think there are any likely issues with leaving a laser dormant for months or years. Possibly your OS has had an upgrade in the time since it was last used that has removed compatibility with your PC and you need a software/ driver upgrade.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

If you are ever unsure of a phone number just stick it in Google.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

blahblah wrote: 24 Nov 2017, 15:57 This idiot used the top of the Google search which was http://www.uswebxsolution.com/development.php

I have Spybot S&D, and ran it straight afterwards.... I'm downloading and running the Malware one too

Any idea how I know the pc is clean?
The English on that site is so poor it has to be a scam site.

RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

Post by RomynPG »

murf wrote: 25 Nov 2017, 21:08 If you are ever unsure of a phone number just stick it in Google.
Great advice.

A few years ago a friend of mine, who I helped on the tech side, phoned and saying he was getting a regular number on his phone bill that he didn't recognise and, as it added up to a few quid, was there anything I could suggest. Armed with Google and the number I replied - "anyone a fan of Britains Got Talent?" :)

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Science, Computers & Technology (e.g. PCs, Web, TVs, Mobiles, Ipods, Gadgets)”