Is Ultimate worth the money?

Ultimate Fantasy Premier League - starting 2014/15
ravenscroftravens
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: fairly average

Is Ultimate worth the money?

Post by ravenscroftravens »

Hey everyone.

I'm new to this forum but have been playing fantasy football (in multiple formats) for a good few years now but only came across this forum now.

Been intrigued by the Ultimate version of FPL but didn't want to part with my money just yet.

Does anyone know what the main benefits of it are and most importantly... is it worth the money??

Thanks in advance guys!

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Re: Is Ultimate worth the money?

Post by Mo Bot »

I think roughly 10 out of 24k players will think it's value for money. The rest won't win a prize. I usually play FPL and used to play other free games like Sky so £5 entry isn't the norm for me.

£35k in prizes and £120k in entry fees plus sponsoring doesn't add up. Admittedly they have to employ people to update scores and coding etc. but they're the Premier Leagepue, they have billions.

I think they should look at the prize structure as well. £25k for first and nothing for second is a bit extreme and I'm not just saying that because I'm currently in that spot either.
£25k for first and maybe 10k for the rest of the top 10 and maybe a weekly memorabilia prize (replica shirt or whatever) would spread it out a bit and maybe encourage lower ranked teams to keep an interest in the game.

The last two Mom prizes have been new entries. I guess a GW1 team might win January and February because of the transfers but March onwards will probably be new teams. This leaves only 6-7 prizes for GW1 teams to play for which isn't great odds.

If you're asking if £5 is value for money from a time spent perspective, I'd say this game takes a lot of time commitment. To be around to alter lineups before the kick off three times a weekend for 38 weeks is a big commitment. At least in FPL you can almost set and forget days in advance although certainly for the first half of the season you can get away from the template nature that seems part and parcel of FPL this season in particular.

skip
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: UFPL beta winner 2014, OFL ISO winner 2013

Post by skip »

Is it worth a fiver? Depends what you mean by worth the money. For game enjoyment, diversity of squad and critical thinking it's easily the best game on the market for me. I vastly prefer it over FPL where everyone's teams are so similar. Having different captains playing on different match days gives opportunity for catch up if you don't pick the right captain on Saturday which I really like. If you are looking to win money, then as Mo says it's unlikely. A group on a different site figured out that by being really aggressive with loans theres a loophole that helps with the monthly prizes, so that's an idea too, as well as entering a new team for a month.

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

Completely agree with both comments above - it's good value for money in terms of entertainment (£5 for a game that you'll play all season - can't really argue, and it is a good game with more decisions to be made than in regular FPL), but it's not good value if you're hoping to win money - you'd be better off playing daily fantasy games if you're looking for a fantasy game with a gambling aspect.

I'd like to see the prizes for this structured more like a poker tournament, so that it's still somewhat top-heavy and first prize is worth a lot, but you still get a relatively significant cash prize for top 10, and more importantly, the prizepool actually inflates with the number of entrants so that the Premier League aren't just raking in over 50% of all buy-ins (should be more like 10%). It might even encourage more users to play and the Premier League takes 10% of a far bigger prizepool rather than the lion's share of a small one.

ravenscroftravens
Kevin and Perry
FS Record: fairly average

Post by ravenscroftravens »

Thanks guys - appreciate that!

It does sound like £5 for an entire season is pretty good... especially considering the likes of the Sun charge £3 per month.

I'm realistic to know I'm never going to have a chance of winning one of the big prizes so the prize fund doesn't bother me too much really.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

This interests me too just wondering how it's different from the normal fpl if someone wouldn't mind explaining would be much appreciated

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Mo Bot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Inaugural Last Man Standing. FISO Fantasy Eurovision champ 2012. World #1 in UFPL for a whole week

Post by Mo Bot »

S_sutton87 wrote:This interests me too just wondering how it's different from the normal fpl if someone wouldn't mind explaining would be much appreciated

The players are 'yours' for much longer. The weekly free transfer plus points hits/wildcard nature of FPL means that the players in your team don't last for long. UFPL has two transfer windows so your team is set from the first week in September up to January and from February until the end of the season. You can loan players in but it isn't good VFM to do so. This means that you have to pick the right players from the start instead of transferring them in. If you pick wisely like I did for the first half of the year then you get a much bigger advantage from having the likes of Ozil, Ighalo, Alderweireld, Butland etc. when most teams don't. There is less of a template team for the first half of the season anyway.

The other big difference is involvement. With games on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, you get to take out underperforming Saturday players for Sunday ones, take a risk on changing captain etc.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

Sounds well worth a fiver I'll be giving that a go this season can you still do the standard fpl at the same time

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

Yup you can play both from the same account. And I'll +1 it being worth the money for the entertainment it provides throughout the season.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

I'm always perplexed by the large numbers of Fiso posters who ask this and similar questions. It's a fiver for goodness sake! A pint and a half. Surely the more relevant question is whether it's worth the time and effort of playing. In the case of UFPL, I'd say yes as its different from the other fantasy games out there, is interestingly structured, and is sufficiently we'll run to be enjoyable.

mike_d99
Grumpy Old Man
Location: cut down like a vegetable by your hard kickin mother who's an animal
FS Record: 269th TFF 08/09, 11th TFFO 08/09, 49th TFFE 08/09, 50th Elephant 10/11, 92nd Sky Sports 10/11

Post by mike_d99 »

This sounds interesting. I started playing FPL while looking for a replacement for TFFO. This sounds closer to that with different captains for each 'flange' (set of fixtures).

Can you set up captain changes in advance for each set of fixtures or do you have to manually change the captain after each deadline passes?

EDIT - It seems you only change captain once per set of fixtures, is that correct?

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

mike_d99 wrote:It seems you only change captain once per set of fixtures, is that correct?
You can have a new captain every DAY. But if you change the captain on say Sunday, your Saturday captain's score reverts from double his match points to just his basic score. So yes you can only have one captain per set of fixtures but you can have more than one go at trying to alight on a high scoring captain.

S_sutton87
Grumpy Old Man

Post by S_sutton87 »

Can you join and create mini leagues in UFPL?

mike_d99
Grumpy Old Man
Location: cut down like a vegetable by your hard kickin mother who's an animal
FS Record: 269th TFF 08/09, 11th TFFO 08/09, 49th TFFE 08/09, 50th Elephant 10/11, 92nd Sky Sports 10/11

Post by mike_d99 »

Striker wrote:
mike_d99 wrote:It seems you only change captain once per set of fixtures, is that correct?
You can have a new captain every DAY. But if you change the captain on say Sunday, your Saturday captain's score reverts from double his match points to just his basic score. So yes you can only have one captain per set of fixtures but you can have more than one go at trying to alight on a high scoring captain.
Thanks for clarifying Striker :)

Northernmonkey
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: 8th TFFO 2008/09

Post by Northernmonkey »

Striker wrote:It's a fiver for goodness sake! A pint and a half.
Lucky you! That's a pint these days in my neck o the woods.

mike_d99 wrote:This sounds interesting. I started playing FPL while looking for a replacement for TFFO. This sounds closer to that with different captains for each 'flange' (set of fixtures).
Been a while since I heard flange, hello Mike old chum. I started looking about for other games with OFL (and ISO) up in the air for next season, seems OFL might be on after all but I'm loving the look of UFPL. Looks as close to the glory days of TFFO as I've seen. Think I'll be giving it a bash next season.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Ultimate FPL”