To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

UFPL is a lottery

Ultimate Fantasy Premier League - starting 2014/15
YourMumsModesty
Treebeard
FS Record: 2019/20: 33,413

UFPL is a lottery

Post by YourMumsModesty »

Essentially, you pick a team in August and you can change it a bit but whatever your team is by September, you're stuck with that team.

Those 15 transfers in September are pointless, really, because you want transfers to use as and when you need them. But you're not going to get all your injuries in September. And you're not going to see Harry Kane coming in September.

And Sterling and Coutinho are doing well now, but if you'd had them since September, and then saw them become useless, you'd just get rid of them in January, because you can't wait for them to get better.

Having a loan system doesn't solve any of these problems because the essence of the problem is that UFPL is too restrictive.

You need to be able to take a chance on a player when you deem it to be right. You can't do that if you're penalised for taking every risk. In FPL, you have one free risk per week. In UFPL, you have the choice of a 4 point hit or a player that you're committed to for a certain period of GWs. You don't have control over that risk. You have to do a deal within the restrictive rules of the game.

If you have insufficient funds for the loans or transfers you want to make, well, you're screwed. You don't have a wildcard that allows you to reshuffle your squad. You can make 27 transfers, but your squad structure will not change much. I still have Vaz Te because I couldn't waste a transfer on getting rid of him.

I was 105th in the world for one matchday a while back, but I realised eventually that I can't just decide to win this thing and go and do that, because your choices are constrained within a rigid system.

It's so frustrating to be penalised for every risk and to have to jump through hoops to change your squad. I've forgotten to update my team so many times because there are so many matchdays. If I could do more than make substitutions, I'd be willing to log in more often, but the game's too passive.

There are a whole bunch of controls to the game but you're not allowed to touch certain ones, if you touch certain other ones, you get fined, other ones are useable for certain parts of the year (and you have to care long enough to wait to get that privilege). It's too frustrating to fully engage with.

Mystery
FISO Knight
FS Record: 116th in TFF 05/06

Re: UFPL is a lottery

Post by Mystery »

For a paid game it's miles too complicated.

Then again I can't be bothered using my free FPL transfer every week so it's not meant for me!

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

It's different, and I applaud that. If you'd just like an FPL with prizes, I'm sure there are plenty of private leagues out there.

Real football management doesn't involve signing a new player every week, but using your initial squad as well as possible.

YourMumsModesty
Treebeard
FS Record: 2019/20: 33,413

Post by YourMumsModesty »

That's all well and good if you know who will have a good season in August, but I doubt anyone has that kind of foresight. Which is why even the best FPL managers make 30+ transfers over the course of a season and welcome the wildcards.

Let's say you're one of the lucky few to have a great squad. You somehow predict in August that Chadli, Henderson, Cazorla, Downing and Kane will do well. Not even Pochettino could predict that, but let's say you did. As long as you start those players, you'll do well.

If you didn't see those players doing well, you can't join the bandwagon risk-free. You have to hope you don't fall too far behind.

thesilkworm
Grumpy Old Man

Post by thesilkworm »

I must admit that I've not enjoyed UFPL nearly as much as regular FPL. I think that a hybrid would be interesting - the 25-man squad with substitutions between matchdays, but with some way to introduce a bit more flexibility (more transfer windows or something).

Lugger
Treebeard

Post by Lugger »

Pay for more teams with different players, that will give you more flexibility. :D

I get your point though, if you're stuck with a poor team after the first transfer window ends you're stuck with them until the second transfer window.

A bit more flexibility where transfers are concerned throughout the season might be better, maybe a certain number of transfers to be used anytime throughout the season etc..........something similar to the Mail game maybe 15 transfers in each half of the season, with the option to loan players in still for points hits or something.

I like how you're able to switch captains and other players though in the same game week, if players on the first match day have underperformed.

I still like the game though, and if they keep the same rules I'll still be entering next season anyway.

You'll just have to be more discerning when it comes to picking your team when the first transfer window ends.

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

The points raised here were all covered in a thread several months ago;

has-ufpl-died-t114088.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... many people seemingly not realising that the "restrictive rules" of the game are there specifically to mirror the rules in the real life premier league; no transfers outside transfer windows, minimum number of underage/homegrown players etc.

fanADE
Treebeard
FS Record: Winner MATT HODGSON J4G WC2014 PREDICTIONS

Post by fanADE »

i actually liked the restrictive rules.. .. thought the idea of home grown is intriguing if you can field 11 foreign players.... i can't say i have a strategy... occasionally prepared to lose 10 points on the assumption that the replacements will generate more!

i will be better prepared next season.. using my fiso page... source

quizking
Grumpy Old Man
Location: quizking towers, primrose hill; and running the shop at https://www.quizking.net/

Post by quizking »

New FA proposals for more home grown players in real life;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32024808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... would mean even more restrictive rules in a future UFPL game if the principle of a "realistic" ff game continues. ISM were requested three years ago (or so, if memory serves - either from a conversation or maybe reading a proposal somewhere) to come up with a game DIFFERENT to the popular FPL game, pay-to-play and with a cash prize (so as to appeal to serious ff players not otherwise enthused by FPL) and also with another unique selling point, i.e. the similarity to real life restrictions. Am hoping - as mentioned elsewhere - that the game returns next year, and would be quite happy for even more "restrictions" if it keeps the game in line with it's original purpose. Even if not - the more restrictions the better, the bigger the challenge, fine by me if there is a cash element to keep things interesting.
None of which will doubtless stop someone asking again in a month or so why there can't be a wildcard, or transfers through the season.

Lugger
Treebeard

Post by Lugger »

Yep I still like the game, it's a bit similar to the McDonalds Euro one if memory serves me right, in that it gives you the option to stick or twist with players on your bench including your captain choice.

I'll still be entering next year probably with a couple of teams, not doing too great this year. In the beta version they rolled out last year I think I finished about 30ish.

I hope if it does return next year that it extends prize money to the top three spots at least.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Ultimate FPL”