To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Big Chances Created and Missed are way off!

Ultimate Fantasy Premier League - starting 2014/15
Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Big Chances Created and Missed are way off!

Post by Football Hero »

Why did Walcott get a Big Chances Missed against Swansea? The only opportunity he may have slightly had was when a chipped through ball was played to him from Sanchez, and Walcott couldn't control the ball, turn and then score. It was a tough ball to control, so much so that he didn't even get a shot away.

To score from this kind of chipped pass, with the goalkeeper closing in on him and defenders there too, well it would have had to have been something very special. I can't believe that this is seen as a BCM, it makes no sense to me.

There are many examples of this happening each week, and finally I have had it and feel the need to speak out.

For example, in GW 1, Cesc Fabregas gets a BCC for plonking the ball on Ivanovic's head from a corner against Burnley. That's fair enough, I have no issue with that, I like the idea that 'good' assists are worth 4 points in this game, to help balance the fact that goals are worth more points in this game than in FPL.

Then in GW 10, Erik Lamela puts in a corner to give Chadli a tap-in at the back post against Aston Villa, and there is no BCC given out for this, even though the goalscorer was presented with a sitter from a well taken corner. This game is so inconsistent and there is almost certainly not an actual person being used to decide each incident.

It really isn't difficult to determine BCC's and BCM's correctly, you just have to have watched a bit of football over the last couple of years and to have an understanding of the game, and yet UFPL seems to lazily rely on some kind of Opta Stats BS when it comes to allocating BCC's and BCM's, which is not working well at all. This seems like an unprofessionally run game for sure, which is inexcusable when everyone has had to cough up cash to play the game.

Thoughts?

Striker
FISO Knight

Re: Big Chances Created and Missed are way off!

Post by Striker »

Thoughts?

Mine is that I, for one, enjoy fantasy football games far more by ignoring the detail that you seem to enjoy and simply accept whatever points the game organiser determines, irrespective of whether he is right or not. Firstly I can do without self imposed mental aggro, secondly I'm not likely to change anything, and thirdly some of it is subjective anyway and therefore not worth disputing.

I'd rather concentrate on things which I can do something about like current team selection. But each to his own. It'd be a dull world if we all thought alike.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Striker wrote:Thoughts?

Mine is that I, for one, enjoy fantasy football games far more by ignoring the detail that you seem to enjoy and simply accept whatever points the game organiser determines, irrespective of whether he is right or not. Firstly I can do without self imposed mental aggro, secondly I'm not likely to change anything, and thirdly some of it is subjective anyway and therefore not worth disputing.

I'd rather concentrate on things which I can do something about like current team selection. But each to his own. It'd be a dull world if we all thought alike.
Is it right to call it self-imposed mental aggro, surely it's mental aggro that has been imposed by UFPL and their clearly less than ideal handling of their points scoring, (which is a fundamental area of the game for them to get right, and to apply consistently and correctly)?

If something makes you upset in life, then every single time you could easily just put it down to yourself and the way that you happen to be viewing the situation.

For instance, if someone steals your wallet, and you go through mental aggro and are angry at the thief, then maybe according to you, you should just relax, chill and not go through the mental aggro about your missing cash right, because any mental aggro you have could actually be self imposed due to your personal viewpoint?

My opposing perspective to you is that if something makes you angry, and it turns out that your viewpoint has weight and merit, then you can feel vindicated in feeling mental aggro and you certainly don't see it as self imposed, and actually your aggro has been caused by another party.

If your viewpoint makes you angry, and it turns out that you were just completely wrong in what you thought and there was no merit or reason to have actually got annoyed or angry in the first place, then that is self-imposed mental aggro.

Is that a fair enough point?

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Not a great analogy.

Some of us are dead relaxed about the scoring, I'm blissfully unaware of their mistakes, and therefore enjoy playing irrespective of any minor subjective errors. Knowing about those errors doesn't help in improving my performance. It's not even certain that they have nicked points from you.

But very few of us could be relaxed about having our wallets nicked.

So it's like comparing someone who might have given your mate a slap in a pub with someone who definitely murdered him.

But as I said it would be boring if everyone thought alike.

I despite having had some fantasy success am clearly far more relaxed about fantasy football than you are. Chill fella!

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Striker wrote:Not a great analogy.

Some of us are dead relaxed about the scoring, I'm blissfully unaware of their mistakes, and therefore enjoy playing irrespective of any minor subjective errors. Knowing about those errors doesn't help in improving my performance. It's not even certain that they have nicked points from you.

But very few of us could be relaxed about having our wallets nicked.

So it's like comparing someone who might have given your mate a slap in a pub with someone who definitely murdered him.

But as I said it would be boring if everyone thought alike.

I despite having had some fantasy success am clearly far more relaxed about fantasy football than you are. Chill fella!
Basically everything in life is relative.

In the grand scheme of things, this BCC/BCM issue is not important. If I was posting this on a different forum then I could understand your point.

However, this is a Fantasy Football forum and as a purely Fantasy Football issue, this is a big thing. I don't see much else being posted on this particular sub-forum right now, so what else is showing to be more important in UFPL land than this?

I can guarantee you that they have messed up and been inconsistent with the BCC's and BCM's, and it has cost me points on many occasions. They haven't messed it up to screw me over in particular, but they should be consistent and correct with this so that each player gets the right score for each game, and right now they are making a hash of this. I would be more tolerant if this was a free game, but you have to pay to play, so I shouldn't be noticing these frustrating inconsistencies with any regularity.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

I'm obviously happier playing this game, oblivious to their errors, than you are knowing about every wrongly dotted i and every erroneously crossed t. You might also be happier forgetting about their scoring foibles and simply enjoying the game.

My philosophy is that one should often simply accept the second best as the optimum isn't always possible. Indignation and fighting should be kept for dealing with real sh*t.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Striker wrote:I'm obviously happier playing this game, oblivious to their errors, than you are knowing about every wrongly dotted i and every erroneously crossed t. You might also be happier forgetting about their scoring foibles and simply enjoying the game.

My philosophy is that one should often simply accept the second best as the optimum isn't always possible. Indignation and fighting should be kept for dealing with real sh*t.
You say the optimum is not possible, but then manager substitutions are not allowed until an hour after the final game has played, presumably because they are checking and finalising the scores for the players. However, they are likely only checking the goals and assists, and leaving the 'Ultimate' stats to be determined by whatever Opta says. They could easily delay substitutions by another half hour or so to check the bonus points more thoroughly.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

It will even out over the season.

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

bspittles wrote:It will even out over the season.
Not really because future mistakes aren't dependent on what has already happened, so if you have been stitched twice already and your opponent has not, then in the future you would still expect an even amount of times where you each lose out (or gain) from UFPL's errors...

UFPL does not calibrate everything so that they make 'correcting' mistakes in future weeks to even things up. A real life referee in a real life individual game might, but not in this Ultimate Stats situation.

Therefore it's best just to get it right first time instead of this element unnecessarily being left to chance.
Last edited by Football Hero on 11 Nov 2014, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

But fantasy is all about chance. :wink:

Football Hero
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Football Hero »

Striker wrote:But fantasy is all about chance. :wink:
There's no skill involved?

Damn.

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

Football Hero wrote:
Striker wrote:But fantasy is all about chance. :wink:
There's no skill involved?

Damn.
Skill - zero
Judgement - some
Luck - a lot

reds363
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 28th 06/07; TFFO 3rd 09/10; TFF 3rd 12/13

Post by reds363 »

Just realised you posted two topics about almost the same thing :?

On the mental aggro point - I wonder how much you stress about that dog turd you might have stepped in one morning? Or alternatively how much you stress about all those billions-of-pounds tax avoiding companies who cost us as taxpayers whatever huge sum of money? Just a thought :)

In this game, various things are down to human interpretation. BCCs and BCMs absolutely, but also I'd imagine there are blurred lines in some of the details of CBI or 'recovery' stats. Also even some assists are subjective (did anyone say Zamora?). You're right, perceived 'mistakes' won't necessarily even out over the season (that saying is as wrong as the commonly-interpreted 'law of averages') - but you gotta just take the rough with the smooth.

gooberman
Dumbledore
FS Record: 343rd in FPL 07-08

Post by gooberman »

More evidence of this innacuracy this week. Downing set Nolan up with a through ball. Nolan should have scored but hit the woodwork. No point was added to Downing's score for a big chance created.

On a similar note, Krul was given a -1 for 'error leading to a goal' for Southamptons first goal. I fail to see where the error was. It was just a shot that he didn't manage to save. On this basis, then keepers should be deducted a point every time they don't save the shot!!

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Ultimate FPL”