To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Photography

A forum for Photography discussion.
AKNel1
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: pretty dire with occasional moments of genius

Photography

Post by AKNel1 »

My youngest has just started studying Photography as one of his GCSE's (I know, crazy huh). Anyway, he's going to need a 'proper' Camera, however, me and his Mum have no idea what we are looking for.

We are looking for a fairly basic entry level digital SLR camera - budget is cheap as possible

Ideally looking for some sort of bundle with memory card, some sort of carry bag & ideally a flash.

Spencer4
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: 2008/9 FPL 172nd, 2007/8 TFF 6th, Vid's Predictions winner 2014/5, Fiso TFF Hot shots champ 2015/6, murfs Egg chasers winner 2017 & 2024, winner PB's last man standing golf comp 2018

Re: Photography

Post by Spencer4 »

Make sure it's a digital camera that he needs. It wasn't very long ago that basic photography courses needed film cameras so that they could go through all the developing/printing methods.

If it is, you'll just need an SLR that has a manual setting.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

As far as I know the GCSE can be done the traditional route or the digital route.
Ask the school if they have 2nd hand cameras that prior students have used or if they recommend a camera. They may get discounts at local stores.
As Spencer says the most important thing is the camera has manual settings

unc.si
Grumpy Old Man

Post by unc.si »

Probably worth checking with the tutor as to exactly what is needed. No point getting something that's not suitable.

Nikon and Canon's entry level DSLR's are about £350 I think. Might be worth looking somewhere like London Camera Exchange to see if they have some second hand ones that they've taken as part chop for upgrades. Should get some sort of warranty if buying from someone like them.

The Womble
Treebeard

Post by The Womble »

If it is a digital SLR then a second hand one is definately the way

These days the major companies upgrade all the time and a top of the range camera from three years ago will be excellent but "out of date".

Cannon 350 would be good: probably pick one up for about £120-£150

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Photography”