To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Nature photography

A forum for Photography discussion.
Ironfist
FISO Knight
FS Record: FPL 09/10 - 1824th

Nature photography

Post by Ironfist »

Love taking pics of nature, especially micro scenes... here are some...

If you have your own, do share.

This is a Omphalotus olearius, (commonly known as the jack-o'-lantern mushroom) a poisonous mushroom that grew at the base of the olive tree in my back yard. It was only about 5cm tall and lasted about a week. The picture is one of Day 3. When it matured the top cap extended and looked more like a proper canopy.
Taburit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Re: Nature photography

Post by Ironfist »

No one...?

Maybe this...
20130301_083050-1.jpg
This is a caterpillar of Arctiidae which is quite common hereabouts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Nice photos Ironfist

eagle224
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Veteran

Post by eagle224 »

Nice pics.

I like close-up photography too - some of my pics can be viewed here.

WilBert
Dumbledore

Post by WilBert »

http://art2u.deviantart.com/gallery/?of ... sid=159718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That Tit almost looks cautious of that rusty chain. Very evocative that something so young could be cautious of something so old, then again chains are something new for something so old.

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

I liked those photos in that album... especially the Crocosmia which looked very alien.

Here's another... btw... all my photos are taken with the mobile phone camera!
20130315_161529-1.jpg

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

There are the flowers of Erodium (Storkbills) which flowers here.
The petals are only about 3-4mm long, though it's the fruit carrier which is well known for twisting and embedding itself in the ground or kids' clothing when seperated from the main pod.
FB 280213 (20).jpg

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

Pretty impressive for camera phone pics

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

It's an 8Mb camera on the Samsung Note II and I was astounded to see these results at first too.
...and these pics are not manipulated or enhanced before posting here.
The camera does an excellent job with the light and colours.

I don't know what this flower is but it is tiny, perhaps 3mm in diameter...
20130312_093709-1.jpg

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

A bit of morning s3x to get things going... :)

These are firebugs - Pyrrhocoris apterus doing what's important early in the morning.
fiso more.jpg

Pouzar99
FISOhead

Post by Pouzar99 »

Superb stuff Ironfist.

juckster
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Winner of a mile in another mans shoes pre TW2. Total wins £550 SDT 2011/12.

Post by juckster »

Fantastic camera phone :shock:

bloggie
Dumbledore
Location: Tourists swarm to see your face Confucius has a puzzling grace Disoriented you enter in unleashing

Post by bloggie »

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/a ... xy-note-ii" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'I am only an amateur photographer, and I don't want to put too much emphasis on this. However, out of curiosity, I took a photo with the GN2 and iPhone 5 of my back yard area, and while both (rear) cameras are 8 megapixels (MP) with images 3264 x 2448, I liked what I saw with the GN2. The rocks, blades of grass and distant bush both looked crisper and more detailed on the GN2. As I said, this wasn't a scientific test, but it was enough to show me that one can expect quality photos from the GN2 in casual use.'
iPhone 5 on left, GN2 on right.

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

Thanks Pouzar & juckster :)

@bloggie - indeed the GN2 does a much better job. Good demo that.

Here's a Ladybug(/Ladybird) [Coccinellidae], which is quite common though I liked this one in particular as the spot nearest its head is shaped like a heart. Other than being a very useful inspect eating garden and agricultural pests like aphids, it has funny names in various cultures. "God's cow, ladyclock, lady cow, and lady fly... .. Many cultures consider Coccinellids lucky and have nursery rhymes or local names for the insects that reflect this. For instance, the Turkish name for the insect is uğur böceği, literally meaning good luck bug. In many countries, including Russia, Turkey, and Italy, the sight of a coccinellid is either a call to make a wish or a sign that a wish will soon be granted.

In Christian areas, Coccinellids are often associated with the Virgin Mary and the name that the insect bears in the various languages of Europe corresponds to this. Though historically many European languages referenced Freyja, the fertility goddess of Norse mythology, in the names, the Virgin Mary has now largely supplanted her, so that, for example, freyjuhœna (Old Norse) and Frouehenge have been changed into marihøne (Norwegian) and Marienkäfer (German), which corresponds with Our Lady's Bird. Sometimes, the insect is referred to as belonging directly to God (Irish bóín Dé, Polish boża krówka, all meaning "God's [little] cow"). In Dutch it is called lieveheersbeestje, meaning "little animal of our Good Lord".

In both Hebrew and Yiddish, it is called "Moshe Rabbenu's (i.e. Moses's) little cow" or "little horse", apparently an adaptation from Slavic languages. Occasionally, it is called "Little Messiah".

One last referece before the actual picture... if anyone is familiar with Emir Kusturica and his wonderful films, you would recognise that in his ultimate masterpiece Black Cat, White Cat one of the characters is a tiny little woman nicknamed Bubamara-'Ladybug' and the movie theme music is all about her. :)
20130313_170648-1.jpg
This is about the movie song: "This song is originally written in Roma language (not to be confused with Romanian) spoken by the Roma people (better known as Gypsies). The dialects differ from country to country, and this particular dialect is spoken by Roma people in ex Yugoslavian republics, presently countries.
Bubamara: This song is played in tribute to Roma people worldwide. While Bubamaro is not a traditional Roma song, it has been popularized by several Roma bands and musicians, including Saban Bajramovic and Fanfare Ciocarlia. Bubamara, which means ladybug in Roma is an important symbol in Roma culture. For the Roma, the ladybug attracts guests to your home. She is also a sign of good luck for your home. For the Roma, the home is a sacred place, and the act of having guests is taken very seriously. This song speaks of the "cute little ladybug" and encourages all the Roma to get together and dance! "The text, originally was in Serbo-Croatian, but translated and adapted into Rromanes by Dragan Ristic, who is a Rrom. Saban Bajramovic sang the
original version in Roma for the movie 'Black Cat, White Cat'"."

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

Nice pics Ironfist, was really surprised to learn they were from a Camera phone.

@bloggie - thats a remarkable difference between the two - great to see the comparison.

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

One of my favourite pics of late...
fiso260513.jpg

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

my own ladybird from phone camera effort

Beerfuelledman
FISO Knight
FS Record: FISO 17/18 FPL Cash Draft League Winner

Post by Beerfuelledman »

I uploaded my S4 effort but it was huge & went WAY off to the right :lol:

So here it is reduced in size to 30% - I havent tried a lot of macro shots with it but Ill give it a go :D

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

@barry - I like the colours, very vibrant and that huge block gives the Ladybug a sense of tiny...

@Beerfuelledman - This photo is a missed opportunity! :o :) The wooden fence gives a lovely contrast to the bridge in material, colours, structure, angles and more. If you would have only moved a bit to the right and created more of a parallel between the fence and the bridge, it would have been a classic. Don't know if you even intended to show the two together, but the fence's finality (ending at the bottom of the hill/slope) contrasts the bridge going off into the distance with no end in sight. Great idea.

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

This is a Lycaena thersamon and there are plenty of them around now...
fiso260513a.jpg

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

horses

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

Cool this :)

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Ironfist wrote:It's an 8Mb camera on the Samsung Note II and I was astounded to see these results at first too.
...and these pics are not manipulated or enhanced before posting here.
The camera does an excellent job with the light and colours.
As a fairly recent Note II owner too (who hasn't discovered more than just the zoom control)...

Do you play around with any settings to get the close ups (is there a macro mode?) or do you just point and shoot??

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

So far I haven't changed anything, but I know there's a macro focus mode.

I'm so engrossed with capturing that flitting (sp.) moment of the butterfly standing still or the wind keeping the flower stable that I really don't want to fiddle with settings.

barry
FISO Knight

Post by barry »

with the s3 i just point, tap the screen where you want to focus and shoot.

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

20130526_074816-2.jpg
Don't know what these flowers names are but they are only about 2mm across. Beautiful little things.

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

A Snail.

Snail by Joe Publication, on Flickr

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

A nail

Rusty Nail by Joe Publication, on Flickr

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

sted wrote:A nail

Rusty Nail by Joe Publication, on Flickr
That's not from a phone camera. Nice pics Sted.

Ironfist
FISO Knight

Post by Ironfist »

unc.si. wrote:
sted wrote:A nail
That's not from a phone camera. Nice pics Sted.

We're not restricting pics here to camera phones... as long as they aren't photos of Sted's relatives :roll:

These are cool pics Sted :)
I liked the contrast of objects and rhyme of names :wink:

=====================

This is the (early) flower of Notobasis syriaca (Syrian Thistle)...
fiso300513.jpg

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Photography”