To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Banner Adverts - Changes

News about, or comment on, the FISO forums. Post suggestions to Admin here!
unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Re: Banner Adverts - Changes

Post by unc.si. »

Downloaded tapatalk this morning so can use that on my ipad.

Was using my work computer. Normally nothing gets through. It seems ok but not worth the risk so tapatalk only for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

Very disappointed that the extra script Snack Media sent me hasn't put a stop to this.

Sounds like the bad ads could be via the top banner (for which I've seen the ad shown does change even when on the same page) so I've removed that top banner code for now.

I have tested the site using different devices with different anti-virus software and have never had any issues with bad ads. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of why some members appear to be affected.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

I took a quick screenshot before closing browser.
It was a ‘system warning‘ saying that my version of software is obsolete and damaged and that system files are automatically deleted.
Click on ‘update’ button etc.

Let me close the browser ok and seems ok. Just a scam to get me to click.

Checked my Sophos dashboard and it’s showing no malware, no web threats, no malicious traffic or behaviour.

So for some reason FISO has redirected me to the scam site, but looks like no harm done.

unc.si.
FISO Knight

Post by unc.si. »

Using Chrome on a Dell XP13. In UK.
Using Sophos Endpoint antivirus / web protection

Striker
FISO Knight

Post by Striker »

unc.si. wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 11:27 I took a quick screenshot before closing browser.
It was a ‘system warning‘ saying that my version of software is obsolete and damaged and that system files are automatically deleted.
Click on ‘update’ button etc
I get that most days now. Doesn't seem to do any harm (unless one is stupid enough to press the update button) apart from wasting 30-45 seconds while I log off and log on again. My guess is that it's nothing too clever that my virus protection wouldn't save me if I was stupid enough, but won't test that theory until my computer "saviour" who looks after me computer-wise has had a look at it either by dropping by or on-line.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

admin wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 10:12 Sounds like the bad ads could be via the top banner (for which I've seen the ad shown does change even when on the same page) so I've removed that top banner code for now.
Snack Media have made a couple more changes so I've now reinstated the top banner.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

am using a brand new work laptop for a few days rather than my older one (for which the security needs an update), and have had no issues whatsoever since switching machines.

Will revert to older machine in a few days out of necessity and see what occurs.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

I'm sticking to tapatalk. Not going to beta test some two bit company's new software.

Giggs11
Grumpy Old Man
Location: But Gerrard effed it up,again!! Gerrard effed it up, again!!!

Post by Giggs11 »

I'm just wondering if it's possible to get the cross on the page advert any closer to the scroll down bar so we can all accidentally click on the advert :evil:

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Has anybody had any malware (or similar) issues since the changes on the 19th?

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

Giggs11 wrote: 21 Dec 2018, 15:00 I'm just wondering if it's possible to get the cross on the page advert any closer to the scroll down bar so we can all accidentally click on the advert :evil:

I would prefer two ads at the top rather than the annoying one at the bottom.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

No malware spotted here for a while.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Like all/most change... I’ve now got used to it (the one at the bottom).

That said, might be coincidental I don’t appear to be getting the really big ones.

A new tactic I’ve seen today is a KFC one that puts a border round the whole page though 😂

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

Fiso is now totally unuseable on my laptop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

murf wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 17:33 Has anybody had any malware (or similar) issues since the changes on the 19th?
No-one has reported any to me.

The only report I've ever encountered was on the 19th via Malwarebytes but this was one of their false positives as the site reported as blocked was actually okay. I've never had any reports from the other Internet Security software I use. 2 'bad ad' scripts have been running on fiso since the 14th. It's also possible that the machine learning nature of anti-virus software like Malwarebytes means it's no longer being tripped up genuine ad script.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Ashers wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 18:51 Fiso is now totally unuseable on my laptop.
If you scroll down, you'll find that the bottom banner sticks to the bottom of the page meaning it won't then be in the way of you reading, or commenting on, posts. The top banner only partially covers one link (the FISO Injury Search) so is not in the way either.

Yorkshire Exile
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Yorkshire Exile »

I can recommend Ad block browser for android (bit slower than chrome but cuts all the crap out which made this website unusable) and ad block plus extension for firefox

Malrom
FISO Knight

Post by Malrom »

Yorkshire Exile wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 20:03 I can recommend Ad block browser for android (bit slower than chrome but cuts all the crap out which made this website unusable) and ad block plus extension for firefox
+ 1

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

I'm not convinced the "close ad" X is operational on an iphone. I may miss the X but it always seems to open the ad on a new tab.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

hancockjr wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 09:15 I'm not convinced the "close ad" X is operational on an iphone. I may miss the X but it always seems to open the ad on a new tab.

Same here on iPad - looking for a good ad blocker and will likely stop using the site if I can't find one.

Buster
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Twice winner of Tenner League

Post by Buster »

Sadly the site has become almost unusable for me from my PC for last week. Ad at bottom with 'long-running script'. It has taken me over 5 minutes to get to this page and post this.

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

[further to 2 posts above]

Weird - I've been very critical of the handling of these ads in the past having big issues but I've been back using the website version for a week or so and had no real problems. No malware, no bottom advert, not much jumping due to the top advert (still blocks a few bits but liveable).

Just shows that these things need properly testing on all platforms and all software versions.....

SamD
FISO Knight

Advert problem?

Post by SamD »

Same issue here as reported by Buster two posts above.

Site is almost unusable on PC (Windows 10 with MS Edge browser and McAfee Total Protection security) as advert at bottom seems to create 'long-running script' delay.

This post is being submitted via Android phone.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Buster wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 11:26 Sadly the site has become almost unusable for me from my PC for last week. Ad at bottom with 'long-running script'. It has taken me over 5 minutes to get to this page and post this.
Is that with Edge?

Looks to be only happening on an Edge browser as working fine on other browsers. Have reported to the ad providers.

Buster
Red & Blue Braces
FS Record: Twice winner of Tenner League

Post by Buster »

Yes, only an issue with Edge. Just logged in with IE and all good. Thanks

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

Buster wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 11:26 Sadly the site has become almost unusable for me from my PC for last week. Ad at bottom with 'long-running script'. It has taken me over 5 minutes to get to this page and post this.
yes im getting this long running script error, peeving me off, im going tofind it very difficult to keep on here - how do i get rid please!!!!!!

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

wahine wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 07:20 yes im getting this long running script error, peeving me off, im going tofind it very difficult to keep on here - how do i get rid please!!!!!!
As per above use a different browser to Edge until it's fixed which should be later today.

SamD
FISO Knight

Adverts causing problems

Post by SamD »

@ admin: is there any news on the fix mentioned in post on Mon 7 Jan (immediately above)?

The long-running script issue* reported on Sat 5 Jan has made it difficult to post timely updates over the last fortnight on the various competitions I run or play on Fiso. As a result, I'm jettisoning the follow up to the 2018 Sports Predictor* contest: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=126900

* As an example, this post has now taken about 20 minutes to produce on my Windows 10-MS Edge desktop.

admin
FISO Administrator

Re: Adverts causing problems

Post by admin »

SamD wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 18:18 @ admin: is there any news on the fix mentioned in post on Mon 7 Jan (immediately above)?

The long-running script issue* reported on Sat 5 Jan has made it difficult to post timely updates over the last fortnight on the various competitions I run or play on Fiso. As a result, I'm jettisoning the follow up to the 2018 Sports Predictor* contest: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=126900

* As an example, this post has now taken about 20 minutes to produce on my Windows 10-MS Edge desktop.
The report I had on Tuesday indicated Edge wasn't handling properly some of the bad ad script blocking. I've asked if the ads could simply not to be shown when visitors are browsing on Edge. Have chased them up again now.

In the meantime if you can please use a different browser such as Chrome.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Please keep the pink https reminder banner, as it stops the top advert from obscuring the “1 Day” link :wink:

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FISO Forum News”