To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Banner Adverts - Changes

News about, or comment on, the FISO forums. Post suggestions to Admin here!
admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Re: Banner Adverts - Changes

Post by admin »

forestfan wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 22:08 Please keep the pink https reminder banner, as it stops the top advert from obscuring the “1 Day” link :wink:
Yes I noticed that too. Will have to use a replacement message when that reminder eventually becomes too old.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Within the past week whenever I am on the forum on my phone I am getting a variety of sites telling me allow or block. There is no choice but to allow. They then bombard me with "offers".

Anyone else getting similar?

Only happens with this site.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Firstly, I forgot to post that on 23 Jan the long-running script issue with a banner ad on the Edge browser was resolved.

Secondly, I have altered the code for the bottom in-screen 'sticky' banner ad such that it does not display on the forum if you are logged in. In other words it should only display to 'guests/lurkers'.

Thirdly, I have added a new sidebar banner ad on the right side of the forum for desktop users but again this does not display on the forum if you are logged in. In other words it should only display to 'guests/lurkers' and only when they are using a desktop (i.e. device with a large screen).

So, if you're logged in, then when viewing the forum there should only be the top banner ad displayed. Browsing the forum when logged in will avoid all but the top banner ad (and logging in to avoid most of the ads should mean the site is faster compared to using an ad blocker).

Will see how the ad banner changes go.

Constructive feedback as always is welcome.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

Threads are squashed to the left hand side now (safari on iPad)

I can live with this though - big improvement over the screen being obscured by banner ads.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Jester wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 21:31 Threads are squashed to the left hand side now (safari on iPad)

I can live with this though - big improvement over the screen being obscured by banner ads.
I will have a look at increasing the forum table width when I have more feedback but in the meantime on an iPad it's reasonably easy to expand the forum to fit the screen as you're scrolling by 'pinching out'.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Good riddance to the bottom banner 8-)

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Thanks admin, big improvement.

The screen looks a little odd, as Jester said, with everything over to the left and a blank space where the side ad would be (desktop using Firefox), but even if it can't be fixed it's still preferable to having the banner ads getting in the way. :D

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

As above the screen seen pinched to the left. I am using Chrome on PC
Cheers

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

Oxford NZ wrote: As above the screen seen pinched to the left. I am using Chrome on PC.
Cheers.
Yeah, looks pretty horrible from where I'm sitting. I thought it was an error my end at first. Chrome on PC as well.

Not everyone chooses to use a phone to access. Does everything need to always be adjusted to suit those that do?

Edit: Just saw it is because I'm not seeing an ad. Guess I'll just need to get used to it in that case. Thanks.

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

Jester wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 21:31 Threads are squashed to the left hand side now (safari on iPad)

There’s no (or little) blank space if you use the iPad in portrait mode :-)

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot
FS Record: TFC 2008 T20 winner; EggCup Div 1 06/07; Two-Foot Cup 2018; S4 EPL Cup 2020

Post by Jester »

bspittles wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 17:43

There’s no (or little) blank space if you use the iPad in portrait mode :-)

Oh yea.... I never use t that way around - not sure why, just habit I guess. May have to get used to it! :)

Dennisthemenace
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Dennisthemenace »

Chrome on laptop is pushing everything to the left hand screen with approx a quarter of the screen 'white'. I've zoomed it to 175 and now everything is good, in fact I should've done it years ago instead of going to Specsavers for glasses. :D

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Dennisthemenace wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 19:50 Chrome on laptop is pushing everything to the left hand screen with approx a quarter of the screen 'white'. I've zoomed it to 175 and now everything is good, in fact I should've done it years ago instead of going to Specsavers for glasses. :D
* does not work in real life.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

First time on laptop since latest change and have to say it is all rather 'stupid' having the forums all squeezed into the left 2/3 of the page. Zooming won't work (not that I should have to or want to) as I'll lose half the dropdowns etc. There must be another way.....

Maybe I should turn my laptop on its side and use it in 'portrait'.....

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Miles better without the ads.

have to say that it does look a bit odd with the white space on the side of the screen but way better than having ads jumping around all over the place (although to be honest I hadn't really noticed the white space until it was pointed out so it can't look that odd to me. Anyone with OCD is probably having nightmares over it though :D )

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Okay I've worked out a way so that the 'reduced width' forum (with ads) is only displayed to guests. If you are 'signed in' then you should now see the normal width forum (with only the banner ad at the top).

Apologies to anyone that's in the meantime moved to portrait or zoomed in to compensate - you can move back now. As with all fiso coding, I'm learning as I go along and not sure what is and what is not possible but am trying to do a bit more myself this year so I've got more understanding of what's in place.

Let me know if the code change has resulted in any other display changes.

Jester
Sir Jedi Jesterlot

Post by Jester »

Much better now Chris - thanks for taking care of this! :)

Oxford NZ
Dumbledore
FS Record: They think it's all over!

Post by Oxford NZ »

The latest change is looking good on Laptop with chrome (and running adbock plus). Cheers

Talkie Toaster
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Talkie Toaster »

Looks good to me using desktop with Firefox and no ad blockers.

Thanks.

Smurphy Paw
FISO Knight
FS Record: Mediocre, apparently
13/14: FPL 1792; FIFA 14 Top 700.
17/18: FPL 696th; loads of mini-League wins and side game promotions
18/19 1FC Köln 5AS Champions
#1 Spring Super League regular season 19/20 & 20/21

Post by Smurphy Paw »

Thanks Chris
I now understand why I have periodically been seeing blank space to the right of the screen. I’d worked out that it was when I was not logged on.
Many thanks also for removing the bottom ad when logged in. Much appreciated.
SP

Ruth_NZ
Grumpy Old Gorilla

Post by Ruth_NZ »

admin wrote: Okay I've worked out a way so that the 'reduced width' forum (with ads) is only displayed to guests. If you are 'signed in' then you should now see the normal width forum (with only the banner ad at the top).
Lovely, I only just realised we are back to full width. Thanks for your efforts here.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Ruth_NZ wrote: 02 Mar 2019, 08:48
admin wrote: Okay I've worked out a way so that the 'reduced width' forum (with ads) is only displayed to guests. If you are 'signed in' then you should now see the normal width forum (with only the banner ad at the top).
Lovely, I only just realised we are back to full width. Thanks for your efforts here.
Yep, so much better to have it sorted. :D

wahine
Grumpy Cat
FS Record: Your life does not get
better by chance, it gets
better by change. JR.
♀️

Post by wahine »

:D Those banner people are so on to it, just an hour ago I was thinking of buying a Fridge/Freezer and had a brief look around, then just now I thought i would check out Fiso as have been absent a while, sure enough there are Fridges everywhere I look , I am sure I wont be forgetting that soon that I need a new fridge. LOL - BTW so looking forward to another footy season :D

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

The time to be worried is if you only think about buying a fridge and the banners pop up :wink:

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

admin wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 21:20 Secondly, I have altered the code for the bottom in-screen 'sticky' banner ad such that it does not display on the forum if you are logged in. In other words it should only display to 'guests/lurkers'.
I'm starting to see banner ads at the bottom of the screen when logged in. Firefox, Windows 10, no ad blocker.

SamD
FISO Knight

Banner Ads

Post by SamD »

Yes, since midweek, banner adverts have appeared at foot of Fiso page.
Using MS Edge, Windows 10 on PC. Also shows on ancient machine with Chrome/old Windows.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

bspittles wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 12:27
admin wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 21:20 Secondly, I have altered the code for the bottom in-screen 'sticky' banner ad such that it does not display on the forum if you are logged in. In other words it should only display to 'guests/lurkers'.
I'm starting to see banner ads at the bottom of the screen when logged in. Firefox, Windows 10, no ad blocker.
I'll get the code put back in tomorrow. Rob must have done an update and that piece of code got omitted. Thanks for highlighting this.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

admin wrote: 14 Jun 2019, 16:43 I'll get the code put back in tomorrow. Rob must have done an update and that piece of code got omitted. Thanks for highlighting this.
Extra code added. Looks okay to me now but if anyone logged in is still seeing a banner ad at the bottom of the webpage (after refreshing the page) let me know.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FISO Forum News”