To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

GDPR

News about, or comment on, the FISO forums. Post suggestions to Admin here!
RomynPG
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL 134 overall 06/07 ... never close since

GDPR

Post by RomynPG »

Does GDPR have any effect on FISO?

My login is attached to an old email I no longer use - (will change that) - and as such I wouldn't have read anything that may have been sent.

The only info FISO has for me is my name/email address but I don't know if that alone is enough to trigger something I need to action.

(Also haven't received anything from FPL - should I done/has anyone else?)

Thanks

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Re: GDPR

Post by mad dog »

What is all this GDPR?

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

The new EU data protection laws that come into force tomorrow.

I'm not going to pretend I know enough about it to explain the ins and outs but BBC has a section on it that should contain the details.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cp846mrw2w0t/gdpr

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

Googling GDPR with relation to online forums a few of the (somewhat) relevant links...

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/thre ... 112/page-2

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2451756

https://hbr.org/2018/04/gdpr-and-the-en ... nd-bargain

All seem to imply (or state) that online forums are subject to the rules - names, email addresses & ip addresses, for example, are data that can identify a person - and therefore come under GDPRs umbrella.

As I say I don't know enough about the subject.... :?

Maldini
Dumbledore

GDPR

Post by Maldini »

I suspect that FISO should have sent out emails asking all signed up members to opt in to them keeping their details.

I haven’t received anything....yet.

forestfan
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FISODAS Champion Season 34!

Post by forestfan »

Everyone’s using it as an excuse to spam the shite out of us, including seemingly people we hadn’t consented to being contacted by previously!

With a day to go, there’s still different arguments about the legal status of the whole email contact thing.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man
FS Record: Dreamteam Mini Leagues also ran :(

Post by Edmondson »

Emails not needed in most cases.

Some that have been sent will have broken current DPA legislation.

It has been a farce, the level of email received. All slightly different tailored to what the company sending is wanting to get out of it, so it’s certainly not a blanket piece of following orders - as many are seeing this. Even the ICO don’t seem impressed with the level of emails.

Fiso - from what I can see is missing a privacy policy. It doesn’t need us all to opt in, but it’s should be transparent as to what happens to our data and what happens (if anything) as a result of us visiting the site (I.e. are we tracked and remarketed to).

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

Fiso has had a privacy policy for a number of years a link to which is on the homepage and a direct link is http://www.fiso.co.uk/privacy.php

We don't send out any marketing or newsletters anymore so the only emails you get from fiso are ones you've asked for (e.g. you've subscribed to an automated forum notification).

From late tonight any visitor to fiso will see a Consent request for our ad providers to show personalised ads before any ads are shown. Periodically you will be asked to reconfirm your consent (probably once a month).

If you think fiso is lacking in any other areas related to GDPR please let me know.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

Sorry Admin, missed the privacy policy on the quick links menu, was looking down at the bottom of the page :oops:

Looks very comprehensive.

Interested by the consent for ‘personalised’ ads, is it the personalised element you are looking to rely on consent for? I’d have thought this is covered by legitimate interest.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

From tomorrow probably every website you visit that shows different banner ads to their visitors will have a Consent request. This asks the visitor if their ad providers can display ads that are personalised to the visitor rather than random ads. Advertisers prefer to display ads that are likely to be relevant to the visitor rather than random ads (and consequently pay a higher rate to the publisher, such as fiso) but can only do so from tomorrow with the consent of the visitor. Cookies are used by advertisers for this purpose. There has been much work by the online ad industry over the last few months (and more so over the last week!) in developing a system that gathers consent (or not) from each European surfer and links that answer with all the various online advertising companies. Google Adsense however appears to be taking a different route to the other major Online Ad Providers.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

As a punter I don't like the idea of them knowing anything about me but, in theory, skipping personalised ads means I'll see more uninteresting crap and may even miss out on anything that may be a good deal. Hmmmm. Think I'll still say no.

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Should sidegame runners like me be concerned?

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

murf wrote: 24 May 2018, 21:48 As a punter I don't like the idea of them knowing anything about me but, in theory, skipping personalised ads means I'll see more uninteresting crap and may even miss out on anything that may be a good deal. Hmmmm. Think I'll still say no.
At least under GDPR you now have a choice whereas before we've been tracked by Ad Providers across the internet without our permission being asked. This is really what GDPR is about (but is only relevant to EU people so visitors say from a USA IP won't be shown a Consent request, I believe).

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Tacalabala wrote: 24 May 2018, 21:53 Should sidegame runners like me be concerned?

What do you do that makes you think you might be?

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

I’m not sure on this consent for personalised ads.

I know Google has taken a bully boy approach to publishers and told them that they need to get consent - but this has been broadly criticised, and in my opinion is in no way in the spirit of GDPR. They want consent to have greater scope to use individuals data, and have included consent for a vague other services which surely won’t stand up to GDPR requirements.

As murf alludes, it should be managed on the legal basis of legitimate interest. This way it’s less secure for the controller who then has to be careful about your privacy rights. With consent it’s more like anything goes, until you withdraw it!

Common sense needed. I’m fine receiving targeted ads. As opposed to any old shite.

I also wouldn’t recommend companies ruin their UX from tomorrow because they’re taking a punt they need something on the website to be GDPR compliant. Wait and see how it all pans out. It’s not a “do it by tomorrow” approach from the ICO. If it turns out consent definitely needed, then sort it out then.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Edmondson wrote: 24 May 2018, 22:07 I’m not sure on this consent for personalised ads.

I know Google has taken a bully boy approach to publishers and told them that they need to get consent - but this has been broadly criticised, and in my opinion is in no way in the spirit of GDPR. They want consent to have greater scope to use individuals data, and have included consent for a vague other services which surely won’t stand up to GDPR requirements.

As murf alludes, it should be managed on the legal basis of legitimate interest. This way it’s less secure for the controller who then has to be careful about your privacy rights. With consent it’s more like anything goes, until you withdraw it!

Common sense needed. I’m fine receiving targeted ads. As opposed to any old shite.

I also wouldn’t recommend companies ruin their UX from tomorrow because they’re taking a punt they need something on the website to be GDPR compliant. Wait and see how it all pans out. It’s not a “do it by tomorrow” approach from the ICO. If it turns out consent definitely needed, then sort it out then.
The Online Ad Companies/Exchanges fiso uses will not provide personalised ads to a Publisher (such as fiso) after today unless the Publisher is using a 3rd party CMP (Consent Management Platform) that collects Consents from its visitors/readers and automatically informs everyone in the online ad supply chain that's it's okay (or not) to display a personalised ad to that reader. Fiso has to either use a CMP or only non-personalised ads will be shown by the ad companies on our banner ad spaces. Fiso can't collect the Consent itself - it needs to be done via a 3rd party (an IAB Europe approved CMP) which communicates directly with the Online Advertising Platform so they have immediate certainty that consent has been given before the ad is shown.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

Understood Admin. My point is that this is their choice, not necessarily expressly needed due to GDPR. It's clearly been driven by the new legislation, but it's their interpretation, you can either think, they want to make sure they comply so have gone belt and braces, or more cynically you could think, they're after that precious consent to then act a bit more fancy free.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

Admin - your consent message comes up everytime I move to a new page, or even as I just clicked into this thread.

I’ve disagreed 5 times in last few minutes :roll:

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

There is goes again.

If I agree to the ads - will it go away?

Might have to lodge that with the ICO that I felt co-erced into agreeing!!!

Key part of GDPR is that consent shouldn’t be at the detriment to user experience.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

I’ve just hit agree 3 times now, so it actually doesn’t matter which you choose, just keeps popping up.

Just needs sorting out?

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

I've hit 'agree' using one browser and 'disagree' using another and have not seen another Consent request displayed. The Consent Request form is code provided by the 3rd party CMP. No doubt there'll be teething problems with it as you seem to be experiencing. Are banner ads still shown to you?

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

Obviously if others are seeing the Consent request multiple times tomorrow morning I'll remove it until they fix it.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

Using safari on my phone with ad blocker.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

I’m getting it every time I traverse from one place to another (including hitting post just now).

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

Not seeing anything myself.

RomynPG
Dumbledore

Post by RomynPG »

Thanks for the clarification :)

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

No consent request for me this morning.

Also, no ads.

CBN
Dumbledore
FS Record: Three top ten seasonal finishes in the last five years; three Weekender wins; and three times Big Balls champion!

Post by CBN »

Consent every page for me.

admin
FISO Administrator

Post by admin »

As there are clearly issues with the working of the CMP provided by the 3rd party I've removed their code just now.

Any ads shown now should just be random non-personalised ads.

Any further issues please let me know.

Edmondson
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Edmondson »

I was looking at ISO certification yesterday on my work laptop and now have an ad about that in the top right on fiso :?

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “FISO Forum News”