To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Best Mans Speech

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

mysteryshopper
FISOhead

Best Mans Speech

Post by mysteryshopper »

Hope this is in the right place.In a few months i will be the best man at my brothers wedding so looking for anyone who has done this,had it done for them or just witnessed a great memorable speech.Ive never been to a wedding so not sure what the norm is but ive seen loads on tele and 'the speech' is always there so im looking for any pointers from anyone whos been down this road.Also what NOT to say i suppose would help.I dont want to steal his thunder on his big day but if im going to be called 'the best man' then i need to make an effort.Makes it a bit more difficult that i dont know any of her family.

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Best Mans Speech

Post by blahblah »

Hand out a load of Yale keys to as many "suitable" men\women that you can find. Then at the start of your speech, say that the Bride is to me a one woman man, and could everyone with the front doors-keys please surrender them. The men with the keys, and women, walk up and drop the keys into the bowl, and you have a memorable speech 8-)

mysteryshopper
FISOhead

Post by mysteryshopper »

blahblah wrote:Hand out a load of Yale keys to as many "suitable" men\women that you can find. Then at the start of your speech, say that the Bride is to me a one woman man, and could everyone with the front doors-keys please surrender them. The men with the keys, and women, walk up and drop the keys into the bowl, and you have a memorable speech 8-)
is that tried and tested? i could try it but i'd be afraid more people would come forward than i gave keys to :shock:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

Even better :lol:

It is a win-win - you would be instantly famous, locally; your family wouldn't talk to you again; and the real winner: you would never be asked to be a Best-Man again 8-)

I rare win-win-win :lol:

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

Rule number 1, don't be half cut when you do it. It can be very embarassing and cringe worthy for all, and it will not go down well with the groom!!

Are you the younger or older brother?

I was best man for my older brother 2 years ago and started off the speech by introducing myself along the lines of "for those of you who don't know me, i'm Andy's younger brother. So you could say I first met the groom 28 years ago, when I can only presume that my parents were so disappointed with their first attempt, that they decided to try again". Pretty obvious joke, but it got a decent laugh from all age groups and helped settle the nerves nice and early.

The trick is to meet all age groups and connections to the groom throughout your speech, so throw in an embarrassing childhood story involving the both of you for the elder audience, as well as one or 2 for the current crop of friends.

They always say, never embarass the bride, it's her day, and it won't be appreciated. Something I didn't adhere to but I managed to get away with it as I think the joke incorporated both the bride and the groom and it seemed to go down well.

If you get stuck for ideas, i'd be more than happy to email you my speech to give you something to work off if need be.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

On a serious note: keep it short, no-one is there to try to listen to you mumbling your way through pages of typed A4.............

admin
FISO Administrator
FS Record: Won TFFO, 2nd/3rd TFF, Won BFF, Won FLGolf

Post by admin »

being-the-best-man-t57647.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

daughter-s-wedding-t74917.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

blahblah wrote:On a serious note: keep it short, no-one is there to try to listen to you mumbling your way through pages of typed A4.............
Very true. Also learn it off by heart, will work wonders with the delivery on the day as you'll be speaking to the audience and not the table. I also attended the venue prior to the day so I knew beforehand how loudly I would have to speak in order for everybody to hear. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail :lol: :wink:

gazwood
Dumbledore

Post by gazwood »

admin wrote:being-the-best-man-t57647.html

daughter-s-wedding-t74917.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers Chris, was just about to begin the search for those. That brings back memories :lol:

grob
Dumbledore

Post by grob »

Your dilemma has been experienced by numerous Fisoers over the years,who've posted the same question.

There have been some terrific examples of original,hilarious,inoffensive best man speeches,but I'm not sure where to suggest you look.

Probably under "Stuff",but try using the search engine under "Best Man Speech". You're likely to get some original ideas that way but if all else fails,try Google.

n.b Gazwood's offer may be useful as a guide you can adapt. Preparation is everything if you want a stress free day and if you've practiced your speech so you don't need to read it all from notes,you can focus on other matters - like where you put the ring :wink:

It's when you find yourself best man to the same person 3 times in succession that it gets tricky,but if you're lucky that won't be necessary in your brother's case :D

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

True but, remembering it will just put pressure on you, just a few gags, and the list of people to thank will be fine. (And say her mother looks great, or similar - and lie if you have to.)

Joke for Speech: I knew they were meant for each other as she kept calling his name as she rode me 8-)

mysteryshopper
FISOhead

Post by mysteryshopper »

gazwood wrote:Rule number 1, don't be half cut when you do it. It can be very embarassing and cringe worthy for all, and it will not go down well with the groom!!

Are you the younger or older brother?

I was best man for my older brother 2 years ago and started off the speech by introducing myself along the lines of "for those of you who don't know me, i'm Andy's younger brother. So you could say I first met the groom 28 years ago, when I can only presume that my parents were so disappointed with their first attempt, that they decided to try again". Pretty obvious joke, but it got a decent laugh from all age groups and helped settle the nerves nice and early.

The trick is to meet all age groups and connections to the groom throughout your speech, so throw in an embarrassing childhood story involving the both of you for the elder audience, as well as one or 2 for the current crop of friends.

They always say, never embarass the bride, it's her day, and it won't be appreciated. Something I didn't adhere to but I managed to get away with it as I think the joke incorporated both the bride and the groom and it seemed to go down well.

If you get stuck for ideas, i'd be more than happy to email you my speech to give you something to work off if need be.
Been running over a few jokes to fit in(fancy myself as a stand up) but not sure if he would like me using his wedding as a test run for my jokes.I'm also a little shy unless ive had a few so i hope i get in and out before the drink takes control of my voicebox.He is the youngest of 3 boys and its no secret that after 2 boys my folks really wanted a girl but were stuck with him.On another note the 1st time he introduced me to her my words were 'Shes horrible'. I was a bit tipsy at the time which i blamed for my actions,but then i thought ....If a said she was horrible when i had my cider visor on what must she really be like?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

:lol: :lol:

So she is a pseudo lesbian? 8-)

sted
Dumbledore
Location: Outside, fighting 3 big fellas and drinking beer at the same time.

Post by sted »

To the brides father,

"he wanted a quiet wedding, but he couldn't find a silencer for his shotgun"

To the grrom

"she's a lovely girl, and I'm sure you'll make an honest woman out of her"

As far as the key's joke goes. The best time I ever saw it done....it was aimed at the Groom:

"so can any woman who've got front door key's please drop them off in this box"

Cue loads of women dropping keys off.

Followed, after a pause, by a couple of blokes mincing to the stage.

You tube is your friend.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

:lol: :lol:

mad dog
Dumbledog
FS Record: Sky Winner 16/17

Post by mad dog »

Say something about your speech making the bride feel uncomfortable for a few minutes......which your brother does most nights or summit

Ashers
FISO Knight
FS Record: OFL Fantasy Fives Winner 2011/2012, SDT wins WDT, weekly, monthly and seasonal prizes. Fantasy Darts daily winner, TFFO mini league winner & FISO U21 Threes Champs 13.

Post by Ashers »

My turn to be Best Man for my brother's wedding.

I have most of it sewn up, but looking for something related to Tinder as that's how they met. Any ideas?

Mysteryshopper - How did it go in the end for you?

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Ashers wrote: 07 Apr 2018, 11:16 looking for something related to Tinder as that's how they met. Any ideas?
Is it 'Grinder' that is the, shall we say, "less romatic" equivalent? Just 'accidentally' get the app name wrong and keep on referring to it.....

Tacalabala
FISO Knight

Post by Tacalabala »

You could say he tried Plenty of Fish first, but realised ladies would want to get to know him before agreeing to meet :wink: :D

primitive man
Grumpy Old Man

Post by primitive man »

Tinder provided the spark - and now they get on like a house on fire.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

primitive man wrote:Tinder provided the spark - and now they get on like a house on fire.
....will change when a fireman with a big hose comes round.

Latic
FISO Knight
FS Record: Minor past glories. Back for 2021!

Post by Latic »

Lucky for your brother the bride got left and right mixed up.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”