To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

cashing a cheque?

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

cashing a cheque?

Post by raoul »

OK, an odd one this. I thought I knew the answer but apparently I am wrong.

My daughter has received a cheque from someone and she does not have a bank account. She is keen to get the cash but does not trust banks (or society in general...) so does not want a bank account.

Any ideas?

I thought she could sign it over to me and then I could pay it in and withdraw cash, but it seems this does not work.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Re: cashing a cheque?

Post by Dot »

raoul wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 22:11 OK, an odd one this. I thought I knew the answer but apparently I am wrong.

My daughter has received a cheque from someone and she does not have a bank account. She is keen to get the cash but does not trust banks (or society in general...) so does not want a bank account.

Any ideas?

I thought she could sign it over to me and then I could pay it in and withdraw cash, but it seems this does not work.
The only good advisor that comes to mind is Dominic Cummings.

raoul
Dumbledore
FS Record: Tied for OR 1st worldwide in FPL in GW5 in 21/22 (only to then finish 1m), and ranked 1st in TFF late in season 21/22 (eventual finish 95th). Won an old game called Football Fantastic. Best Fanteam finish 117th and cashed £150. Best FPL finish 2.4K.

Post by raoul »

Dot wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 22:24
raoul wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 22:11 OK, an odd one this. I thought I knew the answer but apparently I am wrong.

Any ideas?

The only good advisor that comes to mind is Dominic Cummings.
yes, I will seek his views. After all, the question I have asked reeks of money laundering so I suspect given recent form Dominic would love to get involved and add to his list of crimes he definitely is not guilt of.

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Do you know where to find him?

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Dot wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 22:37 Do you know where to find him?
In the newspapers mainly

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I think most (all?) cheques are account payee only so I don't think it's likely you'll be able to deposit the cheque.

Mind you, I don't really understand how anyone can function in the modern world without a bank account so cashing a cheque is surely the least of her problems!

I'd suggest maybe opening a bank account with Starling (all applied for using a mobile) and then paying in the cheque to the account via the mobile app.

raoul
Dumbledore

Post by raoul »

Mav3rick wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 22:41 I think most (all?) cheques are account payee only so I don't think it's likely you'll be able to deposit the cheque.

Mind you, I don't really understand how anyone can function in the modern world without a bank account so cashing a cheque is surely the least of her problems.

I'd suggest maybe opening a bank account with Starling (all applied for using a mobile) and then paying in the cheque to the account via the mobile app.
she will if she has to, just wondering if there is some way around it.

Could she cash it somehow?

Mav3rick
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: FPL: 1082, 1201, 1800, 10203

The stats are dark and full of errors.

Post by Mav3rick »

I've never tried, but there are those cash your cheque places, so maybe one of those (I don't know what they require though in terms of id), although even if they are open at the moment (doubtful) they will surely take a big cut of it.

If the cheque is from a high street bank (and is open) maybe she could go into a branch of that bank with ID and ask that the bank cash it? I've no idea if that would work, probably best asking the bank on webchat or phone first.

Maybe the sender could transfer her some bitcoin instead? If she's gonna insist on not using banks then crypto is probably the next best thing.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

1. Change your name (what used to be called 'by deedpool') to the same as your daughter's
2. Amend your personal details on your bank account to your new name
3. Cash cheque
4. Change your name to whatever you choose
5. Amend your personal details on your bank account to your new name
6. Run off somewhere that your daughter can never find you

bspittles
Dumbledore

Post by bspittles »

I’m not sure she can work or receive benefits without a bank account, so she’ll probably have to open one sooner or later.

If not a bank account, would she be willing to open a Post Office account?

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Can she return it to them and ask them to make one out to you instead?
Or open a basic bank account / PO account

unc.si.
FISO Knight
FS Record: 'Loser' by Beck

Post by unc.si. »

Who writes cheques these days anyway?
Don’t think I’ve seen one for years

Brightwater
Grumpy Old Man
Location: ***** BrightwaterVilla.co.uk ***** lakeside at Lake Berkley Orlando /parkrunning
FS Record: 21 cash league wins. CYKI 08/09 4th, 09/10 8th. 12/13 Sky 56th, FPL FISO X League winner. 2014 UFPL Beta 7th.

Post by Brightwater »

Dot wrote: 03 Jun 2020, 22:37 Do you know where to find him?
Prompting Boris via earpiece allegedly. :roll:

hancockjr
Dumbledore
FS Record: FPL: Not as good as it was, but still very respectable.

Post by hancockjr »

Could they pay her in livestock or bushels of wheat instead?

Dot
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Dot »

Is she an adult

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Dot wrote:Is she an adult
The only one in a world full of lizards

morganb
FISO Knight
FS Record: Fantasy Advent Calendar 2012 Winner; The FISODAS Cup - Season 22 Winner; Ralfbergs EPL prediction game 2013/14 winner; FISO Goals 2022

Post by morganb »

Cheque cashing shops exist:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Cheque+ ... uk&ie=&oe=

Never used them, there just happens to be one in my town centre

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”