To see less ads Register or Login ----- Daily Fantasy Sports games 18+

Cigarettes = acceptable litter?

A forum for general discussion on subjects and topics that do not fit anywhere else.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Cigarettes = acceptable litter?

Post by Zimmerman »

Thankfully, you don’t often see people just wantonly throwing litter on the street or from a car window;

However, seeing someone throw the butt of their fag out of their car window is quite a common occurrence.

How/why is this acceptable?

A tiny tiny part of me can think that walking down the street... what are you meant to do? Can’t put in your pocket (although arguably should have thought about that before sparking up). But cars have ashtrays. Why do they get slung out of the window?

Any smokers dare own up (and the thought process involved)?

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Re: Cigarettes = acceptable litter?

Post by blahblah »

Car ashtrays stink 😉

Come Brexit we'll be able to smoke everywhere 😎😎😎

What about chewing gum on pavements which sticks to shoes (or feet of people who won't be able to afford divjs and shoes after Brexit) in summer?

robot
Dumbledore
FS Record: Winner tff world 2018 knockout 2nd TFF Euro 2012 Group Stage,tff weekly winner 13/14wk25, 14/15wk7&19,16/17wk2,,Winner tff champions league two foot challenge, winner sun Elite league 15/16,winner tff 17/18 chairmen league, week32 weekender joint 1st.

Post by robot »

Cigarettes, chewing gum, anything that doesn't compose being iittered should be punishable by life in prison :!:

blahblah
FISO Viscount
Location: .. he thinks that he knows something which he doesn't, whereas I am quite concious of my ignorance.

Post by blahblah »

I think butts do decompose, but (ho ho) I'm far from sure.

Also all packaging should be recyclable.

Spinynorman
FISO Jedi Fish
FS Record: Under Ordinary

Post by Spinynorman »

I have known quite a few folks who don't drop litter and always clean up after themselves but often just chuck a butt end down. It's weird isn't it. :?

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

I thought you got fined if you drop you cigarette butts in the street?

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Spinynorman wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 19:40 I have known quite a few folks who don't drop litter and always clean up after themselves but often just chuck a butt end down. It's weird isn't it. :?
Hmmm that's me tbh. :?

I use bins if I'm near one, but is all I ever drop.

As above chewing gum is bigger for me as it's sticky in summer...

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Surprised wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 19:47 I thought you got fined if you drop you cigarette butts in the street?
Our police have bigger things to worry about, but yes I believe so.

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

blahblah wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 18:43 Car ashtrays stink 😉
Not if you don’t use them they don’t

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 20:01
blahblah wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 18:43 Car ashtrays stink 😉
Not if you don’t use them they don’t
Exactly your point 😂

This could get a bit Chicken or Egg, but smokers get moaned at about the car stinking...

Zimmerman
FISO Jedi Knight

Post by Zimmerman »

Telling that even smokers don’t like the smell 🤣

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

Zimmerman wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 20:12 Telling that even smokers don’t like the smell 🤣
Funnily enough 😂😂😂 I am one of those.

murf
FISO Viscount
FS Record: Once led TFF. Very briefly.

Post by murf »

Cigarette butts contain plastic apparently (not all) so, no, they don't biodegrade. DON'T DO IT.

I once got 'told off' for throwing away a banana skin on a mountainside because they take a long time to biodegrade. Didn't know that at the time and now no longer do it.

The guy in front of me in a traffic jam today threw an apple core onto the central reservation of the A1. Acceptable?

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

Surprised wrote:I thought you got fined if you drop you cigarette butts in the street?
I remember a guy going on to local radio to moan about getting fined double because he threw chips out of his car window on a borough boundary and because they landed on both sides he got 2 fines. He had the nerve to publically moan about it.

The world is ****ed because of ****s like that.

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 20:59 Cigarette butts contain plastic apparently (not all) so, no, they don't biodegrade. DON'T DO IT.

I once got 'told off' for throwing away a banana skin on a mountainside because they take a long time to biodegrade. Didn't know that at the time and now no longer do it.

The guy in front of me in a traffic jam today threw an apple core onto the central reservation of the A1. Acceptable?
Yes some have mad plastic things to "flavour" the cig 😱

Banana skins cam be made into rope? I'm struggling for words but the things in the skin that run down it can be dried and become tough...

I've always thought apple cores, plum stones etc fair game to throw on "natural" https://youtu.be/2AgqyArv4MY

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

National Geographic article link

https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/en ... ld-they-be

"Trillions of cigarette butts are thrown into the environment every year, where they leach nicotine and heavy metals before turning into microplastic pollution."

Filters can take years to degrade and, even as they do, they break down into tiny pieces of plastic, called microplastics, which are an increasing hazard in waterways and oceans. Cigarette butts also carry a heavy load of toxic materials that can be harmful to nearby marine life, a threat that Novotny tested in the lab.

“One cigarette butt in a litre [of water],” he said of his findings, “kills half the fish.”

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

I can sleep now having learned something today.

What about the ash as fertilizer? 😉

murf
FISO Viscount

Post by murf »

blahblah wrote:I can sleep now having learned something today.

What about the ash as fertilizer? Image
I don't suppose the ash is all that bad as the poison has all left and entered either the atmosphete, lungs or fag butt....

blahblah
FISO Viscount

Post by blahblah »

murf wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 21:29
blahblah wrote:I can sleep now having learned something today.

What about the ash as fertilizer? Image
I don't suppose the ash is all that bad as the poison has all left and entered either the atmosphete, lungs or fag butt....
That was my guess...

Surprised
FISO Jedi Knight
FS Record: TFFOSM MotW in 2008 and MotM in 2003. 78th overall in TFFO for 2002/3 and 2003/4

Post by Surprised »

murf wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 21:02
Surprised wrote:I thought you got fined if you drop you cigarette butts in the street?
I remember a guy going on to local radio to moan about getting fined double because he threw chips out of his car window on a borough boundary and because they landed on both sides he got 2 fines. He had the nerve to publically moan about it.

The world is ****ed because of ****s like that.
Serves him right. Absolutely no excuse for littering.

View Latest: 1 Day View Your posts

Return to “Stuff (That Doesn't Fit Anywhere Else!)”